THE BROWNS BOARD

So, Jimbo gets $75 Million

Axe

22 hours ago, MLD Woody said:

How so?

Uhm, they are hoping to change a loser program into a winning program. They are hoping to become more competitive with the better programs in their conference. A&M would like to be able to achieve the level that Alabama, Auburn, LSU, Georgia, Florida are at (even though Fla. has had some down seasons...A&M has never been where Florida has been)

In the Big Ten....FMU would like to achieve the level that OSU, PSU,  Wisconsin, MSU are at...or have been over the last decade. Even Penn St. recovered from a worst disaster quicker than FMU has. (I will take it that you don't mind if I call the reigns of RichRod and Hoke a disaster....in FMU terms. Harbaugh is helping them recover....but it is going slower than I am sure and other FMU alum would like.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It cracks me up when woody says he won’t bother correcting people or telling people why they are wrong

He just can’t stand the fact wishagin is done being a good football school.

12 hours ago, MLD Woody said:

That's just revenue though. Donations are huge too. 

The big, big business of the top D-1A Athletics in particular football and basketball the other sports and divisions basically starve to death.....just the way it is.

Sports and finance two interests of mine. ;)

14 hours ago, MLD Woody said:

You can only try to argue with biased idiots for so long before you realize it isn't worth it. 

Some of the things Gipper has claimed over the years are just ridiculous. There's no getting through. You aren't much better.

I have said things that are true

you are the one that claims they are ridiculous 

On 12/16/2017 at 12:16 PM, MLD Woody said:

I'm not going to bother correcting parts of your post. 

Of course you aren't....because:  A.   There is nothing incorrcect about any part of my post...and B.  If there was...you are not smart enough to know the difference.

(or...unless you think that what I said of Harbaugh  helping Michigan get any better is incorrect.  If you think that, then I will defer to you).

But I'll see what War has to say

On 12/16/2017 at 4:42 PM, MLD Woody said:

You can only try to argue with biased idiots for so long before you realize it isn't worth it. 

Some of the things Gipper has claimed over the years are just ridiculous. There's no getting through. You aren't much better.

Name one thing..   

That's just revenue though. Donations are huge too. 

Previous research I have done...a couple or so years back, said that Texas had one of the top 1 or two athletic budgets in the nation.  Ohio State also up there.  Alabama as well.

If you are saying that TAMU is now high on that list, then that is a very recent development. (I suppose I can see where Texas may have fallen a bit...given their poor performances lately)

But...it seems that is apparently correct, see this list:

http://www.businessinsider.com/schools-most-revenue-college-sports-2016-10/#2-texas--1835-million-24

TAMU IS spending more now than anyone else.    It helps them that they are spending 61.2% more in a single year than they had before....and 132% more over a 5 year period.

And noting, on this list of the Top 25 spenders:

10 are in the SEC, 8 in the Big Ten, 3 in the Pac 12, 2 in the ACC, and 2 in the Big 12.

Of the Top 10,  half...5 are SEC,  3 are Big Ten and two are Big 12.

(these were as of October 2016.

This kind of works in NCAA Hoops too, from the 2017 March Madness.....

Selection Sunday is in the rearview, and that means one thing: Millions of sports fans across the country scrambling to fill out their brackets. There are inumerable strategies to use, from advanced stats to scariest mascots, but Forbes has always taken the simple business approach: picking the teams that spend the most.

The basic logic is that the teams spending the most money on things like coaching, recruiting and facilities will typically be the most successful on the court. The approach also tends to favor teams that have had recent tournament success, since deep tourney runs are usually associated with higher spending on travel and lodging. It's not perfect - Syracuse and Indiana, both top-five in basketball expenses, aren't even in the field this year - but three of the last five champions rank among the sport's top spenders.

And does our strategy work for filling out a bracket? More or less. Over the last three years our spending bracket has nailed nearly 70% of first-round picks, which is about equal to what you'd get by picking the favorites. And we typically wind up with around half of the Sweet Sixteen and Elite Eight........

https://www.forbes.com/sites/chrissmith/2017/03/14/forbes-sportsmoney-ncaa-bracket-pick-the-teams-that-spend-the-most/#4396bca42f1c

Football data is generally a few years back and can be a bit nebulous at times.

From businessinsider, I often use Forbes also, from 2015......

The 25 schools that make the most money in college sports.....

A lot of BIG TEN in the top schools!

http://www.businessinsider.com/college-sports-revenue-leaders-2015-9/#1-university-of-oregon--1960-million-1

9 hours ago, mjp28 said:

From businessinsider, I often use Forbes also, from 2015......

The 25 schools that make the most money in college sports.....

A lot of BIG TEN in the top schools!

http://www.businessinsider.com/college-sports-revenue-leaders-2015-9/#1-university-of-oregon--1960-million-1

This is old.   It is superseded by the link that I gave.  Your link had Oregon on top....but note this from more recent:

21. Oregon — $105.7 million

21. Oregon  — $105.7 million

1-year change: -46.1%

5-year change: -13.6%

Donations: $27.0 million

Licensing/Rights fees: $42.2 million

3-year avg. football revenue: $57.0 million

3-year avg. men's basketball revenue: $8.8 million

3-year avg. women's basketball revenue: $0.3 million

They had a negative 46 some percent in their revenues.

On 12/15/2017 at 11:19 AM, MLD Woody said:

How so?

We think kicking a guy like Kirk Merritt off the team and back to the hood, and not paying players, is more noble than actually winning games. I hear we will be picking it up again with Jimbo. Certainly he knows how to "play the game" coming from FSU so hopefully he revives us in that regard.

On 12/18/2017 at 11:09 AM, The Gipper said:

But...it seems that is apparently correct, see this list:

http://www.businessinsider.com/schools-most-revenue-college-sports-2016-10/#2-texas--1835-million-24

TAMU IS spending more now than anyone else.    It helps them that they are spending 61.2% more in a single year than they had before....and 132% more over a 5 year period.

And noting, on this list of the Top 25 spenders:

10 are in the SEC, 8 in the Big Ten, 3 in the Pac 12, 2 in the ACC, and 2 in the Big 12.

Of the Top 10,  half...5 are SEC,  3 are Big Ten and two are Big 12.

(these were as of October 2016.

You should see the recruiting "budgets."

12 hours ago, The Gipper said:

This is old.   It is superseded by the link that I gave.  Your link had Oregon on top....but note this from more recent:

21. Oregon — $105.7 million

21. Oregon  — $105.7 million

1-year change: -46.1%

5-year change: -13.6%

Donations: $27.0 million

Licensing/Rights fees: $42.2 million

3-year avg. football revenue: $57.0 million

3-year avg. men's basketball revenue: $8.8 million

3-year avg. women's basketball revenue: $0.3 million

They had a negative 46 some percent in their revenues.

Just showing a few things like the difference between profit and revenues especially with Mr. NIKE cutting some massive checks for the university. 

And No. 1 in one stat and No. 21 a year later......like I said these numbers can be a bit "nebulous" at times to say the least. Remember the old slush fund days? I do, I remember some good teammates and friends  getting some amazing incentives to play in the late 1960s and early 1970s primarily from booster's big bankrolls picking them up at the airport.  Cars, clothes, girls....oh what fun days.

6 hours ago, mjp28 said:

Just showing a few things like the difference between profit and revenues especially with Mr. NIKE cutting some massive checks for the university. 

And No. 1 in one stat and No. 21 a year later......like I said these numbers can be a bit "nebulous" at times to say the least. Remember the old slush fund days? I do, I remember some good teammates and friends  getting some amazing incentives to play in the late 1960s and early 1970s primarily from booster's big bankrolls picking them up at the airport.  Cars, clothes, girls....oh what fun days.

Uhmm....those "slush fund days" are by no means "old".   Sorry, but its a fact.....some of these guys get hundreds of thousands of dollars to go to play in the SEC.   One report I think had  Cam Newton's family getting $200,000.   I think they probably play 5 star recruits a minimum of 50gs And as War said...you should see some of the recruiting budgets.

3 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Uhmm....those "slush fund days" are by no means "old".   Sorry, but its a fact.....some of these guys get hundreds of thousands of dollars to go to play in the SEC.   One report I think had  Cam Newton's family getting $200,000.   I think they probably play 5 star recruits a minimum of 50gs And as War said...you should see some of the recruiting budgets.

I don't know how or when they will get rid of the payoffs too much team interests involved. And in the OLD slush funds were even less controlled than today......you know the booster openly in the convertible at the airport with wads of cash and a couple of "coeds" (hookers)......oh yeah the good old days. 

20 minutes ago, mjp28 said:

I don't know how or when they will get rid of the payoffs too much team interests involved. And in the OLD slush funds were even less controlled than today......you know the booster openly in the convertible at the airport with wads of cash and a couple of "coeds" (hookers)......oh yeah the good old days. 

Well....these days I think it is more covert  (they probably just give cash rather than cars and poontang)......and more lucrative.  They give them enough money that they can go out and buy their own cars and hos.

10 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Well....these days I think it is more covert  (they probably just give cash rather than cars and poontang)......and more lucrative.  They give them enough money that they can go out and buy their own cars and hos.

Not really cars, cash, clothes and way more back then.....a kid who grew up two houses from me was a first team All Ohio DE in 1971 and went to the BIG TEN, unreal.

The real difference was there was always more from the booster's and nobody really cared.

5 hours ago, wargograw said:

Ohio State pays players as well as any team in the country, just to be clear. It's one of my favorite things about the program.

Yes they just have to be much more cautious now. If you're a 5* with a go-between you probably do quite well.

......oh and one of the all time classic programs the famous PONY EXCE$$, ah the insane old days.

6 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Do I have to repeat the reams and reams of scandals that have occurred at FmU?

You're more than welcome to copy and paste the list you found online. I probably won't spend the time to correct everyone. Though I'm sure the Fab Five is very relevant to this discussion...

It's pretty damn apparent what Tressel did at YSU and OSU. But I know you're way too blinded by fandom to ever see it. I would just expect a response on par with "Miami OH is as good of a school as Michigan"

On 12/21/2017 at 7:54 AM, The Gipper said:

Perhaps.   Though...I don't know....its nothing like the excess likely that goes on the SEC.

No, it's exactly like that. Ohio State is in the top 5 of paying players. Nothing to be embarrassed about. That's what it takes to win. 

1 hour ago, wargograw said:

No, it's exactly like that. Ohio State is in the top 5 of paying players. Nothing to be embarrassed about. That's what it takes to win. 

Just curious where do you find these figures and stats?

Archived