THE BROWNS BOARD

Wadsworth Quarterback named Mr. Football in Ohio

Wadsworth Senior Quarterback Joey Baughman has been named Mr. Football for the State of Ohio.

As you may know, I live in Wadsworth. My kids went to school there. My wife works for Wadsworth Schools. In fact, she now works in the elementary school that Joey Baughman attended...though she was at a different school when he went there.

His older brother, Noah, attends Cornell University where he wrestles (and as you may know my son attends Cornell for grad school)

Baughman was actually primarily known as a wrestler.  He has twice been State runnerup.  Once at 160, then at 170.  He was 5th in the state as a freshman at 145. 

So...he is not really a big guy.   He has verbally committed to Virginia on a wrestling scholarship.   I do not know if this designation will cause him to consider playing football in college....or if it will mean he will get more attention from other schools looking to give him a football scholarship.

So...its a good day for Wadsworth.

http://www.maxpreps.com/news/e-cX04PAMkCte-2l-L0FRw/wadsworths-baughman-named-2017-ohio-mr-football.htm

As for his college football recruiting status.  Prior to this it had not been much.    He is now listed at 6'1"  190.   Which is not huge...but it is like Baker Mayfield size.

http://scoutingohio.com/index.php?option=com_community&view=profile&userid=12869

I will note this.....on the previous post that link shows a video of some of the nation's most highly touted QB recruits...guys going to USC etc.   Baughman's stats are better than those guys.  For what that is worth.

But, as noted, while he orally committed to Virginia, he has not signed a Letter of Intent....so he could be free to go elsewhere if he chose.  Virginia is an outstanding academic institution (founded by Thomas Jefferson), and a beautiful campus.  He could stay on there with his wrestling scholarship...and maybe walk on for football?

Just FYI.....a few of the others named Mr. Football that preceded Baughman include the likes of Robert Smith, Andy Katzenmoyer, Charles Woodson, Bobby Hoying,  Curtis Enis, Maurice Clarett, and Mitch Trubisky.

Not sure that he would rank up there as a recruiting prospect with those guys though.  He kind of came out of the woodwork this year.  While Wadsworth went undefeated in regular season this year, last year they had a losing record.....so his recruiting stock was not overly high before this year.

Archived