THE BROWNS BOARD

Our D

roach

I really don't think this game could've come at a worse time.  Our defense is beat up, struggling to force stops or turnovers, and we're giving up WAY too many points.  I mean, we finally had a couple of red zone "stops" (FG's instead of TDs) or else that Bengals game would've been WAY out of hand.  They didn't even punt until the second freaking half!  So who do you get to play when your defense is banged up and struggling to stop anyone?  Why you face the hottest team in the country at their stadium!

Making matters somehow worse, this is essentially the same team we beat last year.  You can bet your bottom dollar they remember that, and there's NO way they're going to let that happen again.  With the Chiefs struggling, the Chargers know they are in prime position to steal this division, and they basically get a lay-up with the abysmal Browns coming to town.  Not only THAT, but the Chargers have the absolute best pass-rushing tandem in the league.  Yippity-Doo.  Since week 5, the Bolts have given up only 4 passing touchdowns (I think I read that correctly).  Conversely, we've given up 237.  (joking...sort of).  

Kizer is in deep trouble, and my only hope for him is that we're able to somehow run the ball, we find a way to execute quick passes, and he continues to safely run the ball when he sees daylight.  Kizer's running ability is something I was very critical of, and it makes me happy to see him progressing.  Earlier in the year, I saw some running lanes that would've been 15-25 yards EASY.  Obviously we want our QB throwing the rock, but when there are lanes like THAT, you'd like to see him take those yards.  Something else that running QB's can do is somewhat dictate what the LB's do.  If a QB gashes a team enough, the defense will have to keep a linebacker locked in on him, and that means other people might have more freedom.  It's the whole "domino effect" that we've had so little success with for years.  We don't have "those guys" that make defenses adjust, and we're constantly reacting to what THEY do as opposed to setting the tone WE want.  Speaking of progress, I like the "touch" I've seen by Kizer on some of his recent throws.  Again, this shows me he's learning.  

Another example of potential domino effect is the presence of Josh Gordon.  Can he demand enough respect to open up the middle for other people?  Can he take a safety deep and open up the seam for Njoku?  Some crossers for Corey?  Fake bubble-screens or reverses?  I expect VERY LITTLE from Josh in terms of catching the ball, but I do expect his presence to be felt in other ways.  Don't forget, the Bolts have a couple of studs in their secondary, and it's not like we have a QB who can "throw people open" generally.  I still think we'll see a couple of deep shots, but I expect them to be WAY off...per the norm.  

Edit:  Just heard the Chargers haven't give up 70 yards to a WR since week 5 when Odell Beckham did it.  And I think they have given up just one passing TD to a WR in the past 6 games?  Jesus.  Hopefully we can get to the 1 yard line so Kizer can sneak it in.

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, Clevfan4life said:

He's one of the nfl's best run stoppers? 

1) i know this is bs without even looking it up

2) i did anyway, and pff ranks him as 70-72. Thats avg and quite frankly i was surprised he even got that

Hmmm, I could’ve sworn the PFF guy CBD has on every week said that he was the best DE against the run, must’ve just been for one week, but I also found this post that had him in second place between Joey Bosa and Calais Campbell in run stops weeks 2-6 

https://scout.com/nfl/browns/Board/105323/Contents/PFF-Ogbah-2-in-most-run-stops-from-weeks-2-6-10912374

2 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Could be the difference between Og's inside-gap performance and his edge setting, which is what Cleve has harped upon.

Thats gotta be it cause his edge has been horrendous. U noted it urself some weeks ago how easily he was getting seal/turn blocked. Or literally not noticing that TE lined up just to his left licking his chops at an oblivious DE who's about to get jacked into the DT to his right. 

7 hours ago, flyingfooldoug said:

The browns won the title in 64..... 1964.... And that is well over half a century.

So long ago that the name of the Championship changed and there has now been 51 of those Super Bowls since....  

1 minute ago, Clevfan4life said:

they held the chargers to 3 field goals in the 1st half. How were they 'bad"?

They allowed the Chargers 35 minutes in time of possession and didn't force a punt until the 4th quarter.  While I applaud their ability to limit red zone scores LA moved the ball with great ease.  I will grant you that ultimately the score is what matters but I still don't have the impression that when the win is on the line they can get the other team off the field.

2 hours ago, BaconHound said:

They allowed the Chargers 35 minutes in time of possession and didn't force a punt until the 4th quarter.  While I applaud their ability to limit red zone scores LA moved the ball with great ease.  I will grant you that ultimately the score is what matters but I still don't have the impression that when the win is on the line they can get the other team off the field.

Not at all.

I have zero faith that if the Browns could somehow stumble upon a lead late in a game that the defense could or would stop the other team from marching down the field and taking back the lead.

On 11/29/2017 at 7:26 PM, Clevfan4life said:

Was that the cleveland eagles?

Did you know that during the second world war when men and materials were in short supply, the Browns and the Eagles combined into one football team? It's true. They were called the Cleagles.

Surely, nobody will bite on this.

I’m more concerned with Kizer missing a wide open gordon for a sure touchdown, and yet another strip sack.  The defense has been playing like Sheet lately, but the Chargers have averaged 33 points per game over the last 3 and 22 points per game over the season.  The Browns held them to 19, which is good enough to win when your rookie QB Doesnt shoot the team in the foot. 

^^^^^ that

what kind of ridiculous non sensical over expectations is this when we expect a rookie defense to hold phillip rivers and the chargers to less than 10 pts? Cause if ur hanging this loss in the def, they would gave had to hold the chargers to less pts than the offense right? Right u numpties? 

But per usual our offense is so atrocious it helps the def not one iota. 3 fg's in the 1st half aint half bad for the def against phillip rivers with those wr's and melvin gordon running behind em. That was a top 10 rusher we held to 77 yds and an oversll #8 offense we held to 19 pts

8 minutes ago, Clevfan4life said:

^^^^^ that

what kind of ridiculous non sensical over expectations is this when we expect a rookie defense to hold phillip rivers and the chargers to less than 10 pts? Cause if ur hanging this loss in the def, they would gave had to hold the chargers to less pts than the offense right? Right u numpties? 

But per usual our offense is so atrocious it helps the def not one iota. 3 fg's in the 1st half aint half bad for the def against phillip rivers with those wr's and melvin gordon running behind em. That was a top 10 rusher we held to 77 yds and an oversll #8 offense we held to 19 pts

True that, look at how good mccourty did on covering Allen. He had some major stops, and Allen is crazy good. Kizer missed throws all game and held onto the ball too long. 

This just in... The Browns D is neither perfect nor even the best in the league!

1 hour ago, stillmotion said:

Kizer missed throws all game and or held onto the ball too long. 

FIFY... can't do both. ;)

13 hours ago, Ghoolie said:

Did you know that during the second world war when men and materials were in short supply, the Browns and the Eagles combined into one football team? It's true. They were called the Cleagles.

That was quite a feat....considering the Browns were not even founded until after WWII.

Or, maybe they were some kind of secret weapon....not revealed until after the war.   Maybe they were part of Project Blue Book.

13 hours ago, Ghoolie said:

Surely, nobody will bite on this.

On 12/3/2017 at 5:35 PM, Clevfan4life said:

they've held them to 9 points dude. 3 field goals. Phillip Rivers.  Is ur brain ok?

On 12/3/2017 at 5:35 PM, Clevfan4life said:

they've held them to 9 points dude. 3 field goals. Phillip Rivers.  Is ur brain ok?

No Charger punts in the 1st half  (just like last week against the Bengals).  Greg Williams is a joke and this defense is putrid. 

Coverage schemes were ridiculous, and on top of that no scheme covers for the fact that McCourty played worse than a UDFA allowing Hundley to have a perfect rating when throwing to whoever he was covering.

Browns had the lowest pressure rating of any team in the NFL yesterday.. scheme also can't cover for that. Williams did his best by blitzing to create - but again he simply doesn't have the players. 

The weakness is talent at all levels of the D, not some magic elixir..

Archived