THE BROWNS BOARD

So I watched "moneyball" for the first time yesterday

stillmotion

1 hour ago, thenew23 said:

If they want to win next year, they need to add FAs, at least on offense. Adding more rookies on offense will NOT make this a winning team next year.

Define "winning"...

If you mean "win more than we lose," then congratulations on your keen insight... except for the fact that even a significant FA add (which will not happen) would not transform us into a > .500 team in one off-season.

1 hour ago, stillmotion said:

yet another strawman from you. I've always said for the plan to work, we need to sign free agents next year and the year after. Like I've said a ton of times, if jimmy is 40-60 million under the cap in 2018 and 2019 then he's just being a cheap bastard. No other reasoning about it.

Actually, Taking a 29 year old with 2 years left in the tank would've been great. We could've been winning with a guy like Keenum. Tanking and losing shouldn't be under anyones strategy. You have to find ways to win in this sport. And quite frankly, we have no veteran leadership at QB. If a veteran was with us, our QB's might develop much better. Keenum had a $2mil contract, but it's all good, just like Children of the Corn, we can't have players younger then X age.

While I disagree with "several years", it's hardly a straw man argument that he is making. At least it's nowhere as close to one as "winning with Keenum"...

17 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

Using the Astros as example, though, while they were rebuilding the team they spent NOTHING on payroll.

The Browns are following that exact approach.

Not saying it will work, but the parallel is there.

We really need to quit trying to save these guys from their misery...

I can't believe this is still being entertained.  Two completely different situations.  In MLB some markets really don't have the same amount money to spend and that is not the case in the NFL.  Now some of the principles apply but all NFL teams are using sabremetrics to help them assemble the best roster for money spent per player.  That's what a hard cap will do to front office decision making but to think there are some magic number crunching that other NFL teams are unaware about is laughable or better yet Brownsesque

How about the 9 average at best players for a franchise QB. We didn't NEED those guys and giving up a franchise QB for them was STUPID, STUPID STUPID!!!!. We still need a QB and those 9 players have helped so much....NOT.

Hue, StoshBerrypudpuller all answer to Jimmy. He's the final say. Rot in a federal Penitentiary Jimmy...you really do stink!

Archived