THE BROWNS BOARD

Haslams solicited input from players

Mark O

Shashi wasn't allowed at the meeting.  He was told to sit in the coat room.

Perhaps, in a few months Haslam can have a meeting with his inmate friends.

....don't mind me.  I'm at my witts end.  

I have never been to the point that I will give up on this team  and I doubt I will ever quit watching but it seems to me we have a force riding against us. The game sunday the Jags were like 10 point favs and for most of the game the Browns D held their own until the 2 back to back fumbles, 1 returned for a TD to make it so the Jags did indeed cover the spread, that looked way to "fixed" for me. Same BS  last week with the awful calls and it looks as if we are trying to give the ball away.

Absolutely ridiculous. Like I said before, the franchise not winning falls on Haslam, the village idiot, alone.

Second-year defensive end Emmanuel Ogbah acknowledged that he found it unusual for the Haslams to a call the meeting with the 12 or so players on the leadership council. Hue Jackson, who's confident he has the Haslam's support, was also present, but Browns Executive Vice President of Football Operations Sashi Brown was not.

Rumors from Reporters on Twitter said Hue was staying and Sashi might be out. I hope Hue isn't trying to turn Jimmy against Sashi and the F.O.

It gets dumber and dumber.

Next, they will be asking Dorothy Fuldheim for her thoughts.

Sashi had no place in the meeting, but neither did Hue.

It's called "managing by walking around the shop floor"... and it's the best way to get in touch with how a workforce is handling change.

You meet the workers... chat... answer questions... ask questions...

... but you don't do it with their immediate boss at your side...

... and actually you don't do it with a group of twelve who have a very good chance of having varying opinions on everything... especially Hue.

My father always said the secret of his success with Mobil Oil was going to every employee to get input, use the best ideas and then giving credit to the person who came up with those ideas in front of their peers. That always spurred on even better ideas from guys who just wanted the recognition. He made sure he got out of his office at least two hours a day regardless of how bogged down he was with "paperwork" so he could do just that. He said he even talked to guys on the mid-night watchman shift and occasionally they identified sounds that had changed in the refinery that led them to do preventive maintenance that saved units from "crashing" completely.

6 minutes ago, boo fagley said:

Your Father a very wise man and he sounds like a guy people would bust their a$$ for.

Yes he was (died in 1999) and people went out of their way to seek him out because he was so well known as a front office guy who was listening and would make sure others knew it was not his idea but, "old Joe over there who knows more than me how these things work. Stand up Joe and let the guys see the smartest man in the room." Now at home we were the dumbest kids on the block so there's that trade-off. LOL!:lol:

54 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

My father always said the secret of his success with Mobil Oil was going to every employee to get input, use the best ideas and then giving credit to the person who came up with those ideas in front of their peers. That always spurred on even better ideas from guys who just wanted the recognition. He made sure he got out of his office at least two hours a day regardless of how bogged down he was with "paperwork" so he could do just that. He said he even talked to guys on the mid-night watchman shift and occasionally they identified sounds that had changed in the refinery that led them to do preventive maintenance that saved units from "crashing" completely.

At my city we have a big Volkswagen factory, making cars for all over the world. Bosses don't go around talking with employees, at least that's not what I've heard of, but I've heard they encourage them to post any suggestions about machinery, how to improve working process... They get a reward depending on how good the idea actually is. It can go from a few bucks to a nice amount of money.

But I think that these kind of coversations must be done when the direct boss is not present. People don't act the same when the one person you have to deal with on daily basis is in the room. If Haslam wanted a real input by the players, he should have kept Jackson out of the room. Keeping Sashi out but the coach in only feeds more rumours that no one in the organization needs. 

3 minutes ago, Nero said:

Keeping Sashi out but the coach in only feeds more rumours that no one in the organization needs. 

There is truth to that.   But perhaps Sashi is already out (in Haslam's mind).

I agree.  MBWA is done with the individual worker.  In this case, workers.  Hue could've been excluded...but on the other hand, the players actually belong to Hue.  He's the guy trying to make them a team.  Excluding him could've been a bad thing also.

The proven method is to hire a president of football ops. He then hires a GM who in turn picks his HC and the talent. It's a proven method. It's just a matter of hiring the right people and you keep at it until you do. Unfortunately our owner thinks he is smarter than everyone else in the league or he's just running a pilot j style scam on the fans. Either way spells a Trainwreck. His very first draft choice was based on the advice of a homeless guy. That in itself says a whole lot.

36 minutes ago, flyingfooldoug said:

The proven method is to hire a president of football ops. He then hires a GM who in turn picks his HC and the talent. It's a proven method. It's just a matter of hiring the right people and you keep at it until you do. Unfortunately our owner thinks he is smarter than everyone else in the league or he's just running a pilot j style scam on the fans. Either way spells a Trainwreck. His very first draft choice was based on the advice of a homeless guy. That in itself says a whole lot.

I really, really think you guys think Haslam is doing more than he is. First off, he didn't sign off on drafting a dude because a homeless guy said so. Seriously, that makes you look dumb to actually believe that. The guy was obviously joking/being sarcastic.

Hue Jackson was an extremely sought after coach this time a couple years ago. Ray Farmer was considered a shoe-in for a GM job. Haslam is honestly a pretty quiet owner relatively speaking, and hired people who he thought would help him win. Yes, it's not happening but it's also clear he's letting these guys do their job. That's all you can really hope an owner will do. 

11 minutes ago, miktoxic said:

players input: more fried chicken, white women and watermelon..........oh and yeah they hate losing.....

BWAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!

Uh oh! You just hit Tim's long list of racists.:P

Welcome aboard! Beer/Wine/Bourbon car is open for business. Dilly Dilly!:D

7 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Sashi had no place in the meeting, but neither did Hue.

It's called "managing by walking around the shop floor"... and it's the best way to get in touch with how a workforce is handling change.

You meet the workers... chat... answer questions... ask questions...

... but you don't do it with their immediate boss at your side...

... and actually you don't do it with a group of twelve who have a very good chance of having varying opinions on everything... especially Hue.

I actually agree, and to me it shows how serious Haslam is about getting this right.  He doesn't want to hear from his GM or coach, he hears from them enough.  Why not go to the "ground floor" and listen to the workers directly responsible for the product?  What is it they say is truly missing?  You tell the staff how important they are, you explain to them that you want to get this right, and you make them feel like their voice matters.  It's good management practice.  

But it also begs the question..."What IS missing?"  The simple answer to me is we're missing a QB, WR, and probably a RB.  I'm not sold on Crow.  Admittedly, he didn't have much room to run, but his VISION just hasn't improved, especially when running to the LEFT.  He almost never sees the potential holes to the left of where the play is supposed to go, and he doesn't have the ability to think on his feet and make something out of nothing.  He doesn't have the "jump-step" that so many talented RB's have (Tomlinson was the best I've seen), and he just kind of puts his head down and hopes for the best.  Now, you don't always want a RB who dances around and fails to hit the hole, but there has to be times when your RB can create some tough yards.  

WR - speaks for itself.  We got Corey Coleman back and his impact was noticeable.  Everyone else looked like a lost cause...yet again.  Yes, getting Josh Gordon obviously helps, but we also know we can't "depend" on him for any amount of time.  Gordon is not a long-term solution, no matter how much we WANT him to be, right?  Our front office failed to secure free agent talent, and they obviously whiffed on Britt.  I give them credit for making an aggressive offer to Pryor, and I don't blame them for that debacle.  We essentially gave Britt the same offer, and it blew up in our face.  The Rams added Robert Woods and traded for Sammy Watkins.  Both of those guys have played well when I watched them this season (not sure about stats, just my observation).  We brought in Kenny Britt (or Dwayne Bowe II), and we really didn't do much else at a premier skill position, KNOWING we were probably starting a very young QB.  I watched highlights of the Falcons-Seahawks, and I probably saw 7 receptions that our guys could only DREAM of making.  Granted, some of those were by freaking Julio Jones, but my point is that we don't have people playing that are going to help Kizer.  Fingers crossed for Gordon and Coleman to play all five games, but history tells us a different story.

QB - Hindsight is known to be 20/20, but I know there were a ton of people of who weren't happy about our team NOT having a veteran QB on the roster.  Would it help?  I'm not sure, but I'm pretty sure it wouldn't HURT, right?  We need a QB.  It's that simple.  It's haunted us for almost two decades, and it's baffling.  I'd be VERY surprised if we didn't draft one in the first round, AND threw a ton of money at a free agent.  Either Kirk Cousins, trading for Alex Smith, maybe Andrew Luck....SOMEONE.  I would bet money that our QB room is going to look VERY different next year.  Keep Kizer just to see if his accuracy and vision develops, but Kessler and Hogan are toast.  

10 hours ago, Ghoolie said:

It gets dumber and dumber.

Next, they will be asking Dorothy Fuldheim for her thoughts.

If she were alive they would.   And if she were alive, you and I would listen.

8643801-large.jpg

When I was going to law school I lived up on Shaker Square.  So did Dorothy.  On occasion I would see her walking around the square.

3 hours ago, boo fagley said:

The Browns need a guy like your Father. His people respected him and did not want to let him down.

You see it in the military all the time. Bill Parcells ruled with an iron fist, but would listen and treat each player different. His guys would give 101%. Belichick is the same way and will cut you in a heartbeat. 

Does your father have a background in baseball ?  Perfect for us 

29 minutes ago, darren15 said:

Does your father have a background in baseball ?  Perfect for us 

LOL! He watched me PLAY baseball when I was a "star". He found that out when he grounded me for not doing homework and the entire team showed up saying they could not win without me in CF (my first position before catcher the next year). Their arguments went on deaf ears because analytics told him I still had more work to do that night to catch up from several weeks of neglect when baseball season started.

So even though he is dead now, I can take what I learned from that lesson and still pick better than this FO. But I'll need a modern dart gun gun and a blindfold.:lol:

5 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

The power your Dad tapped into is unreal...

Once in the 80's an Operator in a unit I was supervising, who was widely considered to be a PITA, asked me a question, "Is there a way we can be alerted to...?" There was. I came up with an atypical, even unique, alarm set up, but there was and it solved an old issue that within a month eliminated a major source of cross-shift finger-pointing.

A month later I gave him a coffee mug... a friggin' company logo coffee mug... in the control room at shift change, in front of every one crediting him fully with sparking the innovation. His peers applauded... and he actually cried.

Only added step was making sure he knew that everyone knew he got the credit. I had my boss, whom I'd told of his role when we made the change, "happen by" a couple days later and talk to him about his idea.

4 hours ago, Nero said:

But I think that these kind of coversations must be done when the direct boss is not present. People don't act the same when the one person you have to deal with on daily basis is in the room. If Haslam wanted a real input by the players, he should have kept Jackson out of the room. Keeping Sashi out but the coach in only feeds more rumours that no one in the organization needs. 

Bingo..

4 hours ago, flyingfooldoug said:

Proven how? By virtue of it being the way nearly every team has "done it" for decades and every year one team wins the championship?

When anything is the "only way" it is always the "best way" and the "worst way" at the same time.

3 hours ago, jrb12711 said:

I really, really think you guys think Haslam is doing more than he is. First off, he didn't sign off on drafting a dude because a homeless guy said so.

Agree... at least that he is further removed now.

Initially I think he did get too involved at the wrong times, e.g., the draft, and got burned or at least singed enough to back off, e.g., "Wreck this league" texts.

Now I think the only tactical decisions in which he is involved are variances to the budget, i.e., when the FO needs him to open his wallet beyond the point signed off upon in the annual budget. The Brockweiller deal immediately springs to mind here. The cost of Zeitler and Joe T's raise probably required a check with the boss as well.

3 hours ago, The Gipper said:

If she were alive they would.   And if she were alive, you and I would listen.

8643801-large.jpg

When I was going to law school I lived up on Shaker Square.  So did Dorothy.  On occasion I would see her walking around the square.

I use to love her comments on the news.. Journalism and news reporting at its finest.. She was definitely a classy individual...

Yeah Tour he came upon it the first job he had when one unit he was responsible for was doing 50% better than the other, both built at the same time a number of years before. He asked a lot of those around until he hit "Joe" who had been with the unit since it had started. He told my dad not only what was wrong, but what parts it needed for the fix. He said he had told others before but no one ever authorized the ordering of the parts. My dad did it immediately and Joe & crew did the fix and when it was then outproducing the "better" unit, he got called before the refinery personnel to be given an award. He called Joe out of the men gathered before him and made him come up to take the award with those comments I provided before about the smartest guy in the room. He used that method the rest of his 40 year career with Mobil.

14 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

There are a host of consultants who make their money like this. Listen to the folks on the floor, take the good ideas and frame up fancy white papers and bill out a cool million. The ideas often were provided by the workers but not implemented until a consultant " came up wit it". 

Archived