THE BROWNS BOARD

Should we draft a quarterback 1st overall?

Louisville Slugger

1 hour ago, 200lbMumford said:

His love for Hogan is getting borderline stalker.

It's gone way past borderline.   He's probably not allowed within 500 yards of Hogan or be in violation of the restraining order.

At this point, I'm drafting Rosen, there's a lot of time between now and the draft and things can change but I think he's the guy.  If McCarron comes here via FA with Hue thats fine too....no problem with having Rosen sit for a couple if AJ can play better than him.   The only option that I read here that absolutely cannot under any circumstances, is to stay put with the suckfest combination of QB's we have right now. 

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Mark O said:

It's gone way past borderline.   He's probably not allowed within 500 yards of Hogan or be in violation of the restraining order.

At this point, I'm drafting Rosen, there's a lot of time between now and the draft and things can change but I think he's the guy.  If McCarron comes here via FA with Hue thats fine too....no problem with having Rosen sit for a couple if AJ can play better than him.   The only option that I read here that absolutely cannot under any circumstances, is to stay put with the suckfest combination of QB's we have right now. 

You think Hue will be here next season?

2 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

You think Hue will be here next season?

I kinda do think they will bring him back.  Not sure how I feel about that decision, unless changes are made to his duties as Tour has pointed out.    I'm not convinced he's a good coach and I think someone better could get more out of the team.    I don't see how the current setup be brought back without any changes at all when we are staring 1-31 or 2-30 in the face over 2 seasons. 

12 minutes ago, Mark O said:

I kinda do think they will bring him back.  Not sure how I feel about that decision, unless changes are made to his duties as Tour has pointed out.    I'm not convinced he's a good coach and I think someone better could get more out of the team.    I don't see how the current setup be brought back without any changes at all when we are staring 1-31 or 2-30 in the face over 2 seasons. 

His gaffs with play calling and time management , are too counter productive to warrant giving Hue another season.. In My view as bad as it is.. I feel they all must go. As in the real world.. You don't make rate so to speak means you get a pink slip.. They'll find someone else more able bodied and have the wear with all to handle the duties necessary to steer the ship in a positive direction...

16 hours ago, Louisville Slugger said:

I' sure we will but let's think about other options for a second. 

Kirk Cousins will be a free agent more than likely.

Tyrod Taylor will probably be available either by cut or trade.

Teddy Twatwater may be on the block given that Bradford and Keenum are both playing well in that system.

Garapollo may test the market but that' pretty unlikely.

Is there any other options that intrigue anyone? This could be a really strong draft class for QBs but they all have serious red flags. Should we bring in a vet so we can develop a guy say Taylor FA/Jackson 1st pick because their play styles are somewhat similar?

Rosen and Darnald are light years better than Kizer, who is a joke.  The bigger joke is  Hue Jackson  who is as bad as Sashi in evaluating QB talent!!!!!! 

32 minutes ago, Mark O said:

^^^^^

at least u seem to grasp the offensive side of the ball pretty well.  😉

26 minutes ago, Mark O said:

Hue is gone.  He stinks as a coach.  

Just now, Send in the Clowns said:

Rosen and Darnald are light years better than Kizer, who is a joke.  The bigger joke is  Hue Jackson  who is as bad as Sashi in evaluating QB talent!!!!!! 

See we're already setting rosen up to fail before we've even drafted him. Rosen doesnt start next year, period. He's prob the most capable collegiate qb at starting right now, but this is clev so he's not ready

36 minutes ago, Mark O said:

I watched the USC-UCLA game and thought both QBs will succeed in the NFL.   Kizer has no feel for the game at all and no touch on the ball.  Rosen and Darnold have much to learn but both actually look likethey have QB talent that can make a go of it at the next level. 

3 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Here is proof people out there:   There IS someone who could be worse at running this team than Sashi et al.

How much worse, really? I'm not kidding if Hogan had been named starter at the beginning of the season gotten all the first round snaps and played in his many games as Kizser would he have improved? 

I would have added if Hue Jackson had built an offense around him but I don't think he builds an offense to work toward the strengths of what he has anyway.

WSS

15 minutes ago, Clevfan4life said:

See we're already setting rosen up to fail before we've even drafted him. Rosen doesnt start next year, period. He's prob the most capable collegiate qb at starting right now, but this is clev so he's not ready

Drop Rosen into this with a couple more skill players and this team turns around overnight. Bring in the depth on D as well and we're set for comeback of the year.

EDIT: Oh, and steal Henry from the Titans so we can make all those short yardage 1st downs. (Just for Tour).:P

27 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Drop Rosen into this with a couple more skill players and this team turns around overnight. Bring in the depth on D as well and we're set for comeback of the year.

EDIT: Oh, and steal Henry from the Titans so we can make all those short yardage 1st downs. (Just for Tour).:P

My stomach twists a bit thinking of starting rosen, or sny of them, on day one. Just once i want us to sit a highly sought after qb and not throw him in there out of desperation. Draft a great talent and ease him into the nfl. Im sure rosen will wantbto start day onevbut i dont care what he thinks....this is clev, WE know how things work here. It would make me utterly ill if we TIm couch'd another high talent qb 

4 minutes ago, Clevfan4life said:

My stomach twists a bit thinking of starting rosen, or sny of them, on day one. Just once i want us to sit a highly sought after qb and not throw him in there out of desperation. Draft a great talent and ease him into the nfl. Im sure rosen will wantbto start day onevbut i dont care what he thinks....this is clev, WE know how things work here. It would make me utterly ill if we TIm couch'd another high talent qb 

Yeah but it hasn't seemed to hurt Wentz or Prescott to be starting from day 1.    Now I realize that wasn't the plan in either place but its worked out just fine. 

1 hour ago, Westside Steve said:

How much worse, really? I'm not kidding if Hogan had been named starter at the beginning of the season gotten all the first round snaps and played in his many games as Kizser would he have improved? 

I would have added if Hue Jackson had built an offense around him but I don't think he builds an offense to work toward the strengths of what he has anyway.

WSS

Fair statement.   How much worse than 0-10 can we be?  Except to say that in a number of these games the Browns had chances.....and with Hogan....would they have had absolutely no chance?

9 hours ago, jiggins7919 said:

Many of you will laugh at me (no more than usual) but how many games do we win with a guy like Case Keenum? How many do we win if we sign Robert Woods at WR, or trade a 2nd for Watkins to help Keenum and our other guys? Our defense has played well enough a few games to get us a victory, yet when we really needed a score, it never came. Sashi and our front office let us down by not having a veteran qb on our roster. Nobody can tell me Kizer was ready to play this season, but our management couldn't see that. What was the backup plan? Hogan and Kessler? Come on, man. And then we panic at the trade deadline and try to make a bad deal for an unknown commodity but still screw it up? Good lord. 

Last first... the backup plan was/is the 2018 #1 overall pick. Can't say that it was the original plan, but it sure as hell is clearly the plan now.

Nest... not laughing... We'd probably have won the 4-6 games many originally predicted with Keenum, the Keenum that has emerged with the Vikes, running our Offense. Add Woods? Maybe 5-6?

None of know the story of the QB room. Did Hue vouch for Kessler? We weren't going to invest a roster spot in McC at the cost of developing young QBs, so we offered McC a QB Coaching job... one he'll likely take somewhere someday, but one he was not ready to take this season... and he chose wisely. But McC is not Keenum... and we did not win with him last season... so personally I'd not push him as a savior from our horrible circumstance.

Kizer? He was ready in this sense. He met the minimum requirements. He learned the playbook. He mastered the huddle. He learned how to go under center. Everything else was advanced study, OJT... and in some areas he gets passing grades... in some he's improved, but still failing... and in others he's made no progress.

And we cannot forget the disappointment that was Kessler's camp. He went in as our #1... and shat down his leg. He is as responsible for Kizer being pressed into action at least a half season early as anyone...

Lets be real, no free agent quarterback that will make a difference will even consider coming here.  Ive been saying it for years, we have to take the best quarterback available to us with our first pick.  Over thinking this has been the #1 problem with this team since Couch.  If you dont have a quarterback, you pick the best one, every damn year if you have to.  Hell draft 5 of em. 

16 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Last first... the backup plan was/is the 2018 #1 overall pick. Can't say that it was the original plan, but it sure as hell is clearly the plan now.

Nest... not laughing... We'd probably have won the 4-6 games many originally predicted with Keenum, the Keenum that has emerged with the Vikes, running our Offense. Add Woods? Maybe 5-6?

None of know the story of the QB room. Did Hue vouch for Kessler? We weren't going to invest a roster spot in McC at the cost of developing young QBs, so we offered McC a QB Coaching job... one he'll likely take somewhere someday, but one he was not ready to take this season... and he chose wisely. But McC is not Keenum... and we did not win with him last season... so personally I'd not push him as a savior from our horrible circumstance.

Kizer? He was ready in this sense. He met the minimum requirements. He learned the playbook. He mastered the huddle. He learned how to go under center. Everything else was advanced study, OJT... and in some areas he gets passing grades... in some he's improved, but still failing... and in others he's made no progress.

And we cannot forget the disappointment that was Kessler's camp. He went in as our #1... and shat down his leg. He is as responsible for Kizer being pressed into action at least a half season early as anyone...

In my humble opinion, Cody Kessler never came back right from his last concussion in 2016.  He just wasn't ever the same, at least to me.  When you look at some of his good performances last year, and there were a couple, you noticed that he was excellent "under pressure", he didn't turn the ball over, and he got the ball out quickly and accurately.  After that concussion, we never really saw that Cody again.  Granted, Cody's best games generally came with a stellar rushing attack, and that helps just about ANY QB, but he's been a shadow of that guy we saw a few times, and I wonder if he simply got rattled.  I guess this demonstrates my point about not having a veteran on the roster.  Perhaps having a veteran would've helped Cody somewhat, or at the very least, a veteran MIGHT have stabilized our QB position...if only a little bit.  Not to beat a dead horse, but I believe Keenum is making like $1 or $2 mill a year?  It's not like money would've been an issue, and it's not like Keenum is producing his numbers with stellar WR's.  Are they better than ours?  Of course, ANYBODY'S are better, but they aren't annual all-stars either.  

Kizer doesn't appear to be consistently improving, and I think that's what concerns me the most.  Even during the course of a game, he doesn't learn from his mistakes.  For example, Kizer first pass was an interception.  He didn't even look to see the linebacker's position...he merely assumed he wouldn't be there.  Probably because that play was open every time in practice.  But the MORE concerning issue is Kizer did the exact same thing later in the game, and that pass SHOULD'VE been picked for a TD.  I believe it was slightly deflected in the air, which caused it to be a little late.  Anyway, he made the same mistake and it's troublesome he didn't learn from it.  

I'd bet money that Kizer will be the only one returning to the QB room. I think we'll draft another VERY early (either with 1st pick or 2nd 1st rounder) and we'll bring in a veteran...either Tyrod Taylor or McCarron. Neither of them really do it for me, but it's better than what we have now. I had my heart set on Garoppolo, but it didn't happen. Maybe McCarron wouldn't be a bad thing if we could get some WRs. We know we can't count on Gordon, but I'm hopeful Corey will remain healthy. Still, we need to draft a WR AND bring in a vet. I'm also over Crow...it's time for a change. For him and us. I can't put too much of the blame on him, as he gets hit almost instantly most carries, but there are still times when his vision costs us big yards. 

I say that it is entirely plausible that with a quality QB,..and a non distracted HC,  this team could be at about .500 this year.

But, of course, we don't have that.

Kizer really is not ready...even after 14 games (10 reg...4 preseason)....to play QB in the NFL.  And the guys behind him are worse.

Hue has too much on his plate being OC and HC.   His decisions alone have probably cost 3 games.

So, as far as drafting a QB #1 next year?  Sure, why not.    

In my opinion, that #1 pick.....if he is the right one...will be NO FURTHER behind in his development than Kizer would be by then....unless Kizer shows an astronomical leap in his ability to learn the game.

And we HAVE to have a bifurcation of Hue's duties.    I think that is the one demand that the owners/GM are going to make on him. 

As for who that #1 overall QB should be?

Who gives a flying freeking fook?    It don't matter.  It just has to be a guy capable of handling that leadership position.  The name don't matter.

of course we should draft a qb #1 next year....and we will and it will be rosen or darnold.

Even if it wasnt the right thing to do, the public/media pressure would be too great.  

Voting no on Wentz when it was a straightforward yes/no vote was a huge mistake as we now know.  

will rosen or darnold be a leading mvp candidate their second year?  i doubt it, but they may turn out to be real good and we have to pull the trigger on one of them....

5 hours ago, Tacosman said:

of course we should draft a qb #1 next year....and we will and it will be rosen or darnold.

Even if it wasnt the right thing to do, the public/media pressure would be too great.  

Voting no on Wentz when it was a straightforward yes/no vote was a huge mistake as we now know.  

will rosen or darnold be a leading mvp candidate their second year?  i doubt it, but they may turn out to be real good and we have to pull the trigger on one of them....

For Darnold's sake I hope he goes back to USC for another season. He's only a redshirt sophomore, and he had a rollercoaster season.

No QB is NFL ready from Day 1, but I'd be scared to draft a QB like Darnold that high. Dog knows the Browns rarely let a rookie QB sit and slowly break into the league. It could end up being Kizer Part II.

17 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

... or it could be better than Wentz in Philly.

of course it could be.  And it's possible peppers could become a better safety eventually than prime ronnie lott. It's not likely though.  Again, we are talking about a 2nd year qb who may very well win the nfl mvp in his second year.  Mistakes happen, but that was a damn big one.

Archived