THE BROWNS BOARD

Camp Benkert

Tour2ma

1 hour ago, CaineDeSoulis said:

Sub 60% career completion? That's a pretty dark horse tour, senior this year so he'll likely be available in 6-7th range, possibly a priority udfa. No harm in picking him up late :)

Lotta ways to get to sub 60, CDS... including drops which we saw a couple of today... including one the WR paid a price for... can you say Ball Shot?

DraftScout had a 5th round grade on him prior to today... prime DH territory.

There's no doubt Miami took UVA lightly today and Kurt capitalized on it, but he showed what he has showed most of the year... field command, strong arm, touch and guts to burn. Needs improved pocket presence... tends to bail wide on first impulse... but that can come.

He's my guy.

There's a pretty good chance the Browns will end up with the #1 overall pick, and a top 10 overall pick via Houston, Tour.

Are you saying that you'd pass on Darnold, Rosen, Allen, Mayfield, Jackson, Rudolph et al with these two picks and take a flier later on Benkert?

4 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

There's a pretty good chance the Browns will end up with the #1 overall pick, and a top 10 overall pick via Houston, Tour.

Are you saying that you'd pass on Darnold, Rosen, Allen, Mayfield, Jackson, Rudolph et al with these two picks and take a flier later on Benkert?

From what I've seen thus far, that is exactly what I would do.     

Only other QB so far in my discussion is Rudolph.

Well Tour We know Kurt Benkert very well in my hometown of Greenville,NC.. x-HC Ruffin McNeil at ECU should have never been Fired..Shane Carden might have been the one transferring? And HC Ruffin McNeil's OC at ECU?.. Was one Lincoln Riley..yea he knows Offense & now coaches a guy named Mayfield....https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/aac/2016/05/01/kurt-benkert-virginia-east-carolina-quarterback-transfer/83809154/ (right knee injury was a ACL)  Benkert in his 3rd game at Virginia, broke school record for passing yards in 1 game at 455 yards..(could you image what Zay Jones numbers could have been at ECU?:o)    

15 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

No... Kurt is just my darkhorse... my fallback. My guy I can take earlier than anyone else and still get great value.

If we had a QB in place, then Kurt would be the perfect choice around the R3 comps or top of round 4... likely higher than other teams will be willing to go... at least as of now. Of course, the only way we have "a QB in place" is if Kizer really comes on from today on out... really raises the strong probability of being "the guy"... then Kurt is the perfect pick. But this is unlikely as there is just not enough time to be sure.

I'm now down with Rosen at #1 overall, but if Kizer bombs from here on out, if he regresses... then I'm taking Kurt as well. If my QB room next year is Rosen-Benkert-Kizer, so be it...

Whatever it takes... I solve the long-term future of QB for the Browns this year.

• Upvote 2

• Zombo featured this topic
  • 1 month later...

Benkert looks impressive. Not sure he's as good as rosen but he might be better than darnold in the pocket. The one thing i dont like is that whole game was nothing but shotgun. Rosen looks completely comfortable under center so a team that never lets their qb under center like VA did in that miami game......concerns me. 

This is rosen vs usc. He's a bit more poised in the pocket than benkert and his downfield touch is a little bit better.

Clayton Thorson is staying in school for his senior year. I look for him to be a high first round pick in 2019..

crap.

I never heard of Benkert til Tour mentioned him - he really is impressive.

Already started a write up on my Benkert vs Rosen.  Won't finish it until after the bowl season. it'll be my most extensive.

I've started watching all throws from week 1 forward for the both of them.  Picked that task up last week.   

There's a reason I'm digging this thread up and re-affirming my position in said 'camp'.

lol... Navy won't give UVA the ball enough to post those kind of numbers... but I do like UVA in the game.

17 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

There's a reason I'm digging this thread up and re-affirming my position in said 'camp'.

Love a good foreshadowing...

20 hours ago, Clevfan4life said:

Benkert looks impressive. Not sure he's as good as rosen but he might be better than darnold in the pocket. The one thing i dont like is that whole game was nothing but shotgun. Rosen looks completely comfortable under center so a team that never lets their qb under center like VA did in that miami game......concerns me. 

This is rosen vs usc. He's a bit more poised in the pocket than benkert and his downfield touch is a little bit better.

Footwork and decisive throws are most important in the shotgun. Sure I'd like to see some under center work but I'm not panicked about it.   Especially when you have to take your eyes off the defense to catch the snap.  Thus less time seeing what they're doing.  So if you can work from the gun and still deliver the goods, I'm going to take notice of that.   

After the Bowl Game today Tour- I predict Camp Benkert is going to get mighty lonely. Sheeze, that was Navy they were playing, not Georgia. When his receivers weren't dropping more passes than I could count,  (no fault of his)- Kurt was terribly inaccurate, and it sure didn't look like he was driving the ball on those deep routes. Rainbow arc specials that would be easy interception targets in the pros. 

Maybe just a bad game. Heard he accepted an invite to the Senior Bowl. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Yeah, Huey will help him with that!

That's if Hue doesn't get fired or die from hypothermia when he jumps in the lake first.  (Current Lake Erie water temperature near Cleveland 36 degrees.) 

Benkert had a dismal game. So did Drew Lock for Missouri - he did make one outstanding throw downfield, big time.

But Missouri was just run over on both sides of the ball.

Maybe Thorson of Northwestern will have a great game....

11 hours ago, hoorta said:

After the Bowl Game today Tour- I predict Camp Benkert is going to get mighty lonely. Sheeze, that was Navy they were playing, not Georgia. When his receivers weren't dropping more passes than I could count,  (no fault of his)- Kurt was terribly inaccurate, and it sure didn't look like he was driving the ball on those deep routes. Rainbow arc specials that would be easy interception targets in the pros. 

Maybe just a bad game. Heard he accepted an invite to the Senior Bowl. 

Didn't Navy win like 44-7 or something?

More evidence of the meaninglessness of most Bowl games.

1 hour ago, The Gipper said:

Didn't Navy win like 44-7 or something?

More evidence of the meaninglessness of most Bowl games.

Yes Navy truly torpedoed the Cavaliers. I was hoping for a better showing by Virginia. In a word, Benkert really sucked. But it's gotten to the point there's so many bowl games now, way too many of them are meaningless, even for alumni. Both Navy and Virginia were 6-6 on the year, so here's your "Participation Award" for having a mediocre season. It may devolve to the point a future Missouri Mud Bowl will be forced to "award" a team with a losing record a bowl berth.

40 minutes ago, hoorta said:

Yes Navy truly torpedoed the Cavaliers. I was hoping for a better showing by Virginia. In a word, Benkert really sucked. But it's gotten to the point there's so many bowl games now, way too many of them are meaningless, even for alumni. Both Navy and Virginia were 6-6 on the year, so here's your "Participation Award" for having a mediocre season. It may devolve to the point a future Missouri Mud Bowl will be forced to "award" a team with a losing record a bowl berth.

See the discussion on the College Football Board about FSU.  They were 6-6....but one of their wins was vs. an FCS school....which in theory should not counted toward their win total.   But they gave them the bowl anyway.