THE BROWNS BOARD

Go Vikings

Orion

Earlier this evening, the very best friend that I ever had.  A guy with a big heart, who would do whatever he could to help me, before I even asked....passed away.

He was a Vikings fan.

I got the pastries from the bakery near my house and he brought the coffee and we watched the Vikings / Browns game a few Sunday mornings ago.  He said that we had a good game plan.  That we knew what they do best and that we did a good job of thwarting them.  

He had the Sunday ticket and he would watch his Vikings but he would always be flicking over to the Browns game to see how we were doing.  He'd send me texts about how, "That was a bad call." or that, "You guys shoulda' scored a TD right there".   -  Who does that?   Who watches the Browns because a friend happens to like them?   A true blue best friend that's who.

I just got home from his house where I cried with his wife for a while.  (his lungs let him down about a week ago and the intensive care unit could ultimately only ease him into the afterlife)

I will miss my best friend until I die....but he'll be my best friend forever.

Go Browns!  Go Vikings!  

True best friends are the rarest of commodities...

In the absence of new good times, memories of old ones will come trickling back... eventually... to make you smile at them all over again.

Go Vikings!

It's sad when someone who you love passes away, only people who have been able to make us happy are the ones able to make us cry. 

But we can be grateful that they have been in our lives to make us happy. And will live forever in our memories.

Take care

Go Vikings! 

Too bad he had to go before seeing his team win a title.  Probably most of you Browns fans on here are in the same boat.  I am not....because I am OLD.  I do remember the 1964 title when I was 12 years old.

And I for one would like to see the Vikings win since the Browns obviously have no shot.

The Vikings were formed and became a member of the NFL in 1960....and have never won a Championship.   Actually....only the Cardinals, Lions, and Eagles have gone as long or longer without winning it all. 

Plus....the Viking of the late 60s/70s were like the Bills of the 90s.....4 SB appearances, 4 losses.  With some great, great players.  Fran Tarkenton (the white), Carl Eller, Alan Page, Paul Krause etc.   The Purple People Eaters.

Plus I have cousins up there in the Land O' Lakes.  So, absolutely...why not.

(Its just that no one would likely ever associate the name Case Keenum....and Super Bowl winning QB in the same sentence).  The would be the most extreme Cinderella story in Super Bowl history if that were to happen.

1 minute ago, The Gipper said:

Too bad he had to go before seeing his team win a title.  Probably most of you Browns fans on here are in the same boat.  I am not....because I am OLD.  I do remember the 1964 title when I was 12 years old.

And I for one would like to see the Vikings win since the Browns obviously have no shot.

The Vikings were formed and became a member of the NFL in 1960....and have never won a Championship.   Actually....only the Cardinals, Lions, and Eagles have gone as long or longer without winning it all. 

Plus....the Viking of the late 60s/70s were like the Bills of the 90s.....4 SB appearances, 4 losses.  With some great, great players.  Fran Tarkenton (the white), Carl Eller, Alan Page, Paul Krause etc.   The Purple People Eaters.

Plus I have cousins up there in the Land O' Lakes.  So, absolutely...why not.

(Its just that no one would likely ever associate the name Case Keenum....and Super Bowl winning QB in the same sentence).  The would be the most extreme Cinderella story in Super Bowl history if that were to happen.

Well, they would deserve it. Losing Bridgewater for more than a year, then Bradford after a promising start, and Cook who was one of the best backs in the league, receivers I believe have been injured too... 

They have been doing it very well, adapting to the circumstances and playing with Case Keenum. Other teams with one of their injuries would have gone down in the standings a long time ago. 

...Helped carry my best friend, Vikings fan, to his final resting place today.  He was a great guy to talk football with.

The universe, for this Browns fan, has veered off course...........again..........

Go Vikings!

• 1 month later...

Go Vikings!  - For Buddy -

My grandfather was a Steelers & Pirates fan.  My family would go visit him and so many times he would say to me, "Oh, Allen.  Your Browns beat us up again last week".  :)  I loved my grandfather.  A couple of months after he died Franco Harris made The Immaculate Reception and the Steelers have never looked back.  (I actually rooted for them that year he died....for my grandfather....it wasn't easy to do)

My best friend in the world never saw the Vikings win a championship.  And now TODAY happens a couple of months after he died.

Go Vikings - For Buddy - 

39 minutes ago, boo fagley said:

The Saints looked like a well oiled machine in no huddle and the Vikings were taking too much time on some plays.

time or drive distance? had to look back..4th quarter drive starts Minn. 3 times from own 25, once from own 10..Saints--27,40,25 yard line.again Peyton's guy in booth cost him 2 timeouts on dumb blindness, Vikes sat on 3 timeouts all night. Great play reads by Brees lead receivers right out of bounds to stop clock.   man oh man did many teams miss on WR Michael Thomas from Bucks   

9 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

It's a shame it came down to a very poor Pop Warner level tackle by a safety who doesn't deserve to be called "safety". He could not even make a proper heads up tackle. How the hell did he get to this level?

It got me wondering though, if he had tackled him properly... What yard was that? Would he tackle him in bounds? Because they maybe could have a chance to try the winning FG. But it's a shitty play, yes.

He caught the ball with about 4.5 seconds left on the clock about 3 yards in bounds (from the endzone camera) without enough momentum to carry him out of bounds if a heads up tackle is made right on the thighs. They were out of TOs so game over.

12 hours ago, Orion said:

Go Vikings!  - For Buddy -

My grandfather was a Steelers & Pirates fan.  My family would go visit him and so many times he would say to me, "Oh, Allen.  Your Browns beat us up again last week".  :)  I loved my grandfather.  A couple of months after he died Franco Harris made The Immaculate Reception and the Steelers have never looked back.  (I actually rooted for them that year he died....for my grandfather....it wasn't easy to do)

My best friend in the world never saw the Vikings win a championship.  And now TODAY happens a couple of months after he died.

Go Vikings - For Buddy - 

I could go for the Vikings.   They have never won a title. And I have cousins from Minnesota. Though I would not mind the Eagles or the Jags. (I just think it is time for the Pats dynasty to come to an end.  They have had a long, good run).

1 hour ago, TexasAg1969 said:

It's a shame it came down to a very poor Pop Warner level tackle by a safety who doesn't deserve to be called "safety". He could not even make a proper heads up tackle. How the hell did he get to this level?

From my perspective, the defender avoided the tackle because he was there way too soon.  It would've been pass interference.  Now, of course there were other options.  He could've stopped and just made the tackle after the catch.  Or just go ahead and incur the penalty.  Either would've been better than just taking himself out of the play completely.  After all, he was the back of the train.  There wasn't anyone else to keep the receiver from the end zone.

Also, I thought the Vikings screwed up by not running the ball once they were in position for that go ahead FG.  By passing they let the Saints have a time out to work with with quite a bit of time left on the clock.  - I do understand however, that they were trying to WIN the game. (que Herm Edwards)

51 minutes ago, Orion said:

Also, I thought the Vikings screwed up by not running the ball once they were in position for that go ahead FG.  By passing they let the Saints have a time out to work with with quite a bit of time left on the clock.  - I do understand however, that they were trying to WIN the game. (que Herm Edwards)

I thought the same, that they were going to run through the middle. That would have forced the Saints to either lose the TO or 45 seconds (and they would have had way less time for the Lutz FG). Anyway, that choice brought an unbelievable ending. 

Archived