THE BROWNS BOARD

The 'who have you watched lately?' thread.

tiamat63

Yep, love that idea. I don't know anything about his top WR...is he NFL caliber? And I like your point about throwing it before WR turned around. That's throwing with anticipation, and it's something Kizer wasn't able to do in college and hasn't developed it yet in pros. 

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply
29 minutes ago, jiggins7919 said:

Yep, love that idea. I don't know anything about his top WR...is he NFL caliber? And I like your point about throwing it before WR turned around. That's throwing with anticipation, and it's something Kizer wasn't able to do in college and hasn't developed it yet in pros. 

Redshirt Junior Jordan Lasley great hands and speed in the games I have seen him in this year. He has to declare though. He is not a "favorite" because Rosen is so good at seeing the field and checking through his progressions, but he did hit him for those two TDs.

EDIT: Checked back and it was Howard who got the first back shoulder TD and Lasley who got the second.

3 hours ago, jiggins7919 said:

... calmly...

I honestly think there's a chance he fails his medical because they can't find a pulse... the kid is that cool.

I don't watch NCAA -it's hard enough gor me to follow the NFL - so I don't have an eye for college players, but in some mock drafts they land RB Derrius Guice from LSU in the Browns. I think I haven't seen his name in this forum yet.

What do you guys think about him?

1 hour ago, LBC mike said:

Don't we have daynes?  Was he not that great in college.  He looks to have some vision.

Well there is a Dayes on the roster, but he does not exit for Hue even though he is a better back than the Crow. Crow must have some stuff on Huey or he's just not very smart.

9 hours ago, Nero said:

I don't watch NCAA -it's hard enough gor me to follow the NFL - so I don't have an eye for college players, but in some mock drafts they land RB Derrius Guice from LSU in the Browns. I think I haven't seen his name in this forum yet.

What do you guys think about him?

He's pretty fantastic. Will be interested to see his 40 time. 

3 minutes ago, Richiswhere said:

I don't know if anyone else watched the Washington vs Washington State but that  d-lineman Vita Vea  I can't remember ever watching a game where one guy was just destroying an o-line that bad

I didn't see it, but being a Pac 12 guy, I remember thinking the same thing about Danny Shelton and was super stoked when we selected him....... 

1 hour ago, Richiswhere said:

I don't know if anyone else watched the Washington vs Washington State but that  d-lineman Vita Vea  I can't remember ever watching a game where one guy was just destroying an o-line that bad

The ones I've seen stand out are Harrison Phillips from Stanford, and Hercules Mat'afa from Wash St. Both dominate the game. 

Having to drop Josh Adams quite a bit after watching through Miami, USC, Stanford, UGA and UNC.  

-Pros    Size, decent pad level,  protects the ball, good pass pro, strength and patience.  

-Cons  Late vision on pulls,  heavy feet, lateral agility is... so so,  explosion and top and are all quite mediocre.    Only seems to get the yards his line blocks for with the exception of a small handful of occassions. 

Going to be knocking him down to day 3 at the moment.   Might ascend more with a better showing at the combine and being lighter on his feet.  

Next up on the watch queue - Derrius Guice.

Guice - was a fun one to watch when his Oline wasn't just letting him make cuts in the backfield.      Ole Miss, Floriduh, A&M.  

Pros - solid size.  Listed at 5'11 218.   I'd say he's playing around 210 with pads in season.    Good initial burst, good top end, lateral agility, wiggle in the hole, appears to find cutback lanes and creases well.    What I like most is his footwork during lateral cuts and his ability to maintain balance after contact.  Good pad level, lowers and runs behind them when taking on backers and safeties.  Nice hands and is reliable in the passing game when used as an outlet or in a few cases, as a primary receiver.  Reminded me of Steve Slaton on the zone stretch... minus the fumbling issues.    Finishes runs with contact but doesn't punish defenders like a "bigger" back.   So if that's what you're looking for here, just the north-south, hurt people kind of kind... you won't find it.       

Cons - Patience.   I can't tell if it's him just trying to outplay his line or wanting to sprint right to the second level.  Often times on pulls he would be on his blockers butt and backfeet.  A few times he couldn't setup the defender off the blocker for a secondary move because he was too busy running into the pulling lineman.   A few times he ran counter pulls with great effectiveness but those appeared to be weakside.  If he's running to the strength he tends to get ahead of himself.     

Again that might be just not trusting his line to do their job.   LSU's front is... not good.        I do credit their coaching staff for trying to find other ways to get him the ball.

High 3rd MAYBE high 2nd round grade on him depending on health.  If he checks out well with the doctors and you want someone to take 15+ carries a game that has the eyes to do so, I would be very tempted here.  Especially considering our need for the backfield coupled with the cache' of 2nd round picks we have.    This far in advance would look to be a great pairing.

If we dont address DE in FA this year, i might be ok with getting phillips. Dude can bring power rush off the Left edge and garrett would be more the speed guy. He could also play DT no prob. In nascar packages we could bring him and nassib inside with garrett and maybe orchard, collins or another speed rusher we pick up. 

And in run d? Oh my goodness phillips would be a stacking golem in the edge lanes. He's already pro powered. Dude gets any stronger and we're lookin at the next watt potentially

3 minutes ago, Clevfan4life said:

If we dont address DE in FA this year, i might be ok with getting phillips. Dude can bring power rush off the Left edge and garrett would be more the speed guy. He could also play DT no prob. In nascar packages we could bring him and nassib inside with garrett and maybe orchard, collins or another speed rusher we pick up. 

And in run d? Oh my goodness phillips would be a stacking golem in the edge lanes. He's already pro powered. Dude gets any stronger and we're lookin at the next watt potentially

Phillips?   The kid from Stanford?  

22 minutes ago, tiamat63 said:

Phillips?   The kid from Stanford?  

Yeah. Some guy posted some tape of him. Could be a poor mans jj. Dude looks crazy strong.....those arms do not fold up. Not sure what his draft stock will be. Not suggesting we spendvthe houston pick on him but if ge's still there in the 2nd....

7 minutes ago, Clevfan4life said:

Yeah. Some guy posted some tape of him. Could be a poor mans jj. Dude looks crazy strong.....those arms do not fold up. Not sure what his draft stock will be. Not suggesting we spendvthe houston pick on him but if ge's still there in the 2nd....

Watched him vs K-State and then Washington.   Didn't bother after that.   1 gap interior plugger that will be a solid rotation guy.   Good strength but little else.   Aside from skin color about as far opposite Watt as you can get and he'll probably be a day 3 pick.  

14 minutes ago, tiamat63 said:

Watched him vs K-State and then Washington.   Didn't bother after that.   1 gap interior plugger that will be a solid rotation guy.   Good strength but little else.   Aside from skin color about as far opposite Watt as you can get and he'll probably be a day 3 pick.  

I saw some tape of him coming off the edge and i like. When stanford was able to get him off on the tackles they had no shot 1v1. And he's not a super monster at 290. He could easily drop 5-10 and be a power DE. Dude lets no one get inside him. I saw him stack up two ol with one arm outstretched on each. I like a guy like that, desmond type DE's thst can 5 tech no problem. So im not necessarily homering for phillips specifically but a player like him. Like i said he could be a later round steal. 

3 hours ago, Clevfan4life said:

I saw some tape of him coming off the edge and i like. When stanford was able to get him off on the tackles they had no shot 1v1. And he's not a super monster at 290. He could easily drop 5-10 and be a power DE. Dude lets no one get inside him. I saw him stack up two ol with one arm outstretched on each. I like a guy like that, desmond type DE's thst can 5 tech no problem. So im not necessarily homering for phillips specifically but a player like him. Like i said he could be a later round steal. 

I get where you're at and the type of player you're talking about bubs. Harrison just ain't that guy.    But would i love to see him sub in for Danny or Ogunjobi? Yessir.

5 minutes ago, tiamat63 said:

Next up on watch queue - Chubb, NCST.   Starting with the FSU game and I can tell you just off his first snap, I have a feeling I'll be enjoying the rest of what I see.

He doesnt pop out to me as a must have. I think he's solid and he will go so ewhere top 10. But i dont see that clinical discipline in run d or that ghost rushing u saw from clowney and garrett. He might not be there with the houston pick but if he is i wouldnt be absolutely livid if they took him. But i wouldnt be happy either. Not with wr concerns. First round needs to be qb and wr if possible. Taking another DE in the first round makes no sense unless the last name starts with a b and ends with an a with o and s in the middle. 😁

4 hours ago, Clevfan4life said:

He doesnt pop out to me as a must have. I think he's solid and he will go so ewhere top 10. But i dont see that clinical discipline in run d or that ghost rushing u saw from clowney and garrett. He might not be there with the houston pick but if he is i wouldnt be absolutely livid if they took him. But i wouldnt be happy either. Not with wr concerns. First round needs to be qb and wr if possible. Taking another DE in the first round makes no sense unless the last name starts with a b and ends with an a with o and s in the middle. 😁

Cleve, Have ya checked out this crazed ape from Casper,Wyoming with Gators?..squint Ag. but he did body slam a Bama RB :)..#93 Taven Bryan..compared to JJ Watt?(really)

I refuse to watch a highlight reel where the player isnt highlighted pre snap. U can call me spoiled i dont care. But theres another guy on that gators line that looks line him from the high camera and im constantly looking which number is where.nope uh uh. I saw he got ejected for a textbook belly to backslam on that bama backer so he's officially on ole clev fans radar

On 11/29/2017 at 5:20 PM, Clevfan4life said:

You're right, he appears to be even better than those two that survived simply off athletic superiority alone in college.

I'll have my final thoughts (Springer style) sometime tonight.    I've watched him vs FSU, Vandy (16), Louisville, Miami (16) and in the process of the Clemson game this year.  This is an animal and has possibly the most well rounded game for the position in this draft.   Possibly the most polished Edge in 2 years since Joey was drafted.  

WAY late on this, whatever.  I give you Bradley Chubb, my 2nd player behind Rosen for the Browns.

edit: Games watched - FSU, Louisville, Marshall 2017.      Louisville, VANDY, Miami 2016

@:25   awareness and instinct.
See's the narrow split by the tackle, knows something is up and that the blocker will have to extend laterally to reach him on an outside move.   Takes a quick inside burst with good pad level, keeps his vision in the backfield.

@1:55 - engages the tackle, arms extended, maintaining outside leverage.  Holds off the tackle with left hand keeping right shoulder free,  fights through block and forces carrier wide.   CLEAR holding that would have been forced/called in the NFL.

@:37:  FIRST play.  Textbook lateral defense.  Arm extension, hand usage, doesn't allow the tackle to drive him out and up, flows laterally maintaining control and balance, vision on the ball carrier, then secures the tackle.   Good Sheet.  

@:00   Also FIRST play.   You a fan of Lamar Jackson and his athletic ability beating NFL defense? Well, you just got a glimpse of what will happen to him in the NFL.     Chubb playing from a 2pt stance no less.   Plays outside shoulder on the tackle, left arm engages and he reacts immediately.  Not only that but his first two steps are explosive coupled with a PERFECT angle to cut Lamar off.  Forcing him to turn back inside at pursuit.  He doesn't stop there, motor lets him run down the QB.     This is an example of him playing with discipline.  
@:20  Same game.  2pt stance.  Explodes upfield, fights off the hand contact from tackle, could get lower but does solid job minimizing contact points, flattens a little late but bends around the tackle for the sack.        

Pros - pad level, stance, burst and control, hand usage, vision, balance, arm extension, speed to power,  awareness, motor, athletic ability when dropping in space, stack & shed.   Plays both sides of the line well.  

Cons - occasionally losses discipline in the run game going outside,  sometimes plays a little high when tired.   Can be locked up by a tackle when he loses balance.

The high level tools are there. You can see examples of them all the time.  Now I admit, he has not "mastered" any one category...yet.  The best part is, while he does most everything well, he can and will get better at those things.    To date this is the most complete edge defender I've seen so far.  He plays the run with discipline while getting after the QB with intensity and anger.   Mentality wise he is the anti-thesis to Garrett.  I feel this would make a tremendous compliment to them both.  

Most every good to great defense has two players that can get after the QB.   Especially in today's NFL.  I see no interior defender worthy of a talking about a high pick that can push the pocket. The Browns pass rush right now puts too much stock into having Garrett healthy and ready to go.    I'm all about BPA and right now, with Houston's pick,  I'm taking Chubb over any offensive player I've listed and watched, including Ridley.  I believe (health provided) he and Garrett could combine to form the best book end duo in the AFC North and possibly the league.    This team's identity on defense looks to be the front 4.   They do a solid job limiting the run, now it's time to put elite pressure on opposing QB's.    Chubb would bring pressure, run stopping ability and further attitude taking this dline from good to elite.    

Rashaad Penny is pretty awesome. 

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2746549-rashaad-penny-is-a-superstar-rb-prospect-not-getting-the-hype-he-deserves

Also had 7 kickoff returns for TD in his career. 

On 11/29/2017 at 10:16 AM, Clevfan4life said:

I posted about him. Apparently he's a double major, volunteers at a soup kitchen, can do the full splits, and wants to set the bench press record in this year's combine. Horrible Harry

Archived