THE BROWNS BOARD

The 'who have you watched lately?' thread.

tiamat63

9 minutes ago, hoorta said:

Suck for Sam, relapse for Rosen, play like bums for Baker. I'm all in on drafting 2 QBs this year. I saw more good QB play today than I have all year out of Kizer. 

Dilly :) Dilly!! We need more Whine

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Baker Mayfield is now off the list. He grabbed his nut-sack after his last touchdown throw in a show of serious disrespect, and it was caught on tape. No way in hell we take him. I know he quickly apologized, but we just can't have our QB grabbing his jewels and talking smack to the opposition or to fans. 

Now, on the flip side, do yourself a favor and watch the highlights of Lamar Jackson. He honestly doesn't look real. He looks like a character you create in Playstation College Football where you get a finite amount of attribute points, but with Lamar, the amount of available attribute points was doubled on accident. The truly unfair thing about Jackson is his acceleration. There are several fast qb's in the league, but there is NOBODY who possesses the surreal acceleration of Jackson. It's literally one step to full speed, and that full speed is stupid fast. 

But do more than just look at the running plays, and be sure to carefully watch some of his throws. He had one deep seam toss that had a window of about a foot, and Jackson squeezed it in there....in stride....for a long touchdown. He had several throws that were big league, and if he continues doing that, there might not be any way to pass on the overwhelmingly gifted Jackson. 

I'm serious, this guy has so many physical gifts, that he has me wondering if he's worth drafting and completely changing the offense to suit him. He'd be an absolute nightmare to defend on 3rd and short, or near the goal line, and he actually throws a gorgeous fade route...something that the bozos on our team obviously struggle with. Yes he's far from a finished product, but the talent is there, and everything I read says the drive is there too. I have no clue about Wonderlic stuff, off the field behavior, or other possible skeletons that MIGHT exist, but we'll surely get all that as the draft approaches in a few months. 

We still need to add WRs and we know that. If we somehow knew Josh Gordon was going to be here, I think we could sleep better, but we're far too smart for that nonsense. We also know we can't depend on Corey Coleman, and we desperately need to add some serious WR talent to help whoever is taking snaps. One thing I love about Jackson is his ability to throw deep seam passes with accuracy and consistency, and I believe he'd be perfect for a developing Njoku. Add in the fact he throws a beautiful fade, and our red zone offense could get an instant jolt. Of course Lamar would have to beat out Kizer, but that's a win-win to me. If Kizer wins the job, that means he's playing WELL. Which is what everyone wants in the first place. 

However, let's not get ahead of ourselves. First thing is to draft Jackson. Then we figure out the rest. I've always liked the guy but wondered if he could transition to the pros. Now I'm to the point where I believe his talent is simply too much to pass on, and his abilities are so completely vast and overwhelming, that NFL coaches would almost HAVE to to make it work with him. 

3 hours ago, jiggins7919 said:

Baker Mayfield is now off the list. He grabbed his nut-sack after his last touchdown throw in a show of serious disrespect, and it was caught on tape. No way in hell we take him. I know he quickly apologized, but we just can't have our QB grabbing his jewels and talking smack to the opposition or to fans. 

Agree... not because of the specific action, but because it shows a lack of self-control... the immaturity Some here will love "his fire", his "attytude", but I can't go there.

As for his "apology"... 'bout as genuine as that $400mm Leonardo painting... as his one for the "flag plant". His body language screamed POW video. Said a "coach pointed out his action was wrong" or something to that effect. That he was just "caught up in the emotion". And in the end all he did was prove the opponents were right to not shake hands at the coin flip. (Anyone know what prompted their refusal? BB material Baker said?)

But some team will want him to be their "crotch of the franchise"...

I like Rashaad Penny from SDSU.    Quite a night he had last night, granted against Nevada who stinks and it's the Mountain West which also stinks for the most part but he's had solid games against ASU and Stanford this season.

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sports/sd-sp-aztecs-rashaad-penny-sets-record-with-429-yards-in-offense-20171118-story.html

6 hours ago, jiggins7919 said:

Now, on the flip side, do yourself a favor and watch the highlights of Lamar Jackson. He honestly doesn't look real. He looks like a character you create in Playstation College Football where you get a finite amount of attribute points, but with Lamar, the amount of available attribute points was doubled on accident. The truly unfair thing about Jackson is his acceleration. There are several fast qb's in the league, but there is NOBODY who possesses the surreal acceleration of Jackson. It's literally one step to full speed, and that full speed is stupid fast. 

But do more than just look at the running plays, and be sure to carefully watch some of his throws. He had one deep seam toss that had a window of about a foot, and Jackson squeezed it in there....in stride....for a long touchdown. He had several throws that were big league, and if he continues doing that, there might not be any way to pass on the overwhelmingly gifted Jackson. 

I'm serious, this guy has so many physical gifts, that he has me wondering if he's worth drafting and completely changing the offense to suit him. He'd be an absolute nightmare to defend on 3rd and short, or near the goal line, and he actually throws a gorgeous fade route...something that the bozos on our team obviously struggle with. Yes he's far from a finished product, but the talent is there, and everything I read says the drive is there too. I have no clue about Wonderlic stuff, off the field behavior, or other possible skeletons that MIGHT exist, but we'll surely get all that as the draft approaches in a few months. 

We still need to add WRs and we know that. If we somehow knew Josh Gordon was going to be here, I think we could sleep better, but we're far too smart for that nonsense. We also know we can't depend on Corey Coleman, and we desperately need to add some serious WR talent to help whoever is taking snaps. One thing I love about Jackson is his ability to throw deep seam passes with accuracy and consistency, and I believe he'd be perfect for a developing Njoku. Add in the fact he throws a beautiful fade, and our red zone offense could get an instant jolt. Of course Lamar would have to beat out Kizer, but that's a win-win to me. If Kizer wins the job, that means he's playing WELL. Which is what everyone wants in the first place. 

However, let's not get ahead of ourselves. First thing is to draft Jackson. Then we figure out the rest. I've always liked the guy but wondered if he could transition to the pros. Now I'm to the point where I believe his talent is simply too much to pass on, and his abilities are so completely vast and overwhelming, that NFL coaches would almost HAVE to to make it work with him. 

Agree on Mayfield... plus hes not that good. Not quite as high on Jackson... yet. Has some footwork issues thatve gotten better, but still scares me a little transitioning to the nfl.

7 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Agree... not because of the specific action, but because it shows a lack of self-control... the immaturity Some here will love "his fire", his "attytude", but I can't go there.

As for his "apology"... 'bout as genuine as that $400mm Leonardo painting... as his one for the "flag plant". His body language screamed POW video. Said a "coach pointed out his action was wrong" or something to that effect. That he was just "caught up in the emotion". And in the end all he did was prove the opponents were right to not shake hands at the coin flip. (Anyone know what prompted their refusal? BB material Baker said?)

But some team will want him to be their "crotch of the franchise"...

You're welcome ;)

I'm starting to come onboard the Jackson train. I watched the SYC game, FSU, and the Clemson game. 

He's simply incredible. Best pure runner in NCAAF. Rocket arm, can whip it from anywhere, seems durable.... seems like a complete package that will get a whole lot better with the right coaching and scheme. He's got all the tools, just need to see if he can make the transition to the next level. 

20 hours ago, jiggins7919 said:

Lamar is a black tarkenton as Ghoolie would say. So what? Mayfield grabbed his sack? Kansas tried to late hit his throwing shoulder, talked Sheet, and didn't shake his hand.

He's off the list for us because of our Johnny experience. I can almost guarantee it. I guess we'll see though...I love his game and his fire. If he can just learn to channel it more positively, I believe he'll be an excellent player. 

17 hours ago, thenew23 said:

Agree on Mayfield... plus hes not that good. Not quite as high on Jackson... yet. Has some footwork issues thatve gotten better, but still scares me a little transitioning to the nfl.

Let me be totally clear. Lamar scares me too, but I'm also scared NOT to draft him if that makes sense. He's far from a finished product, but he has improved every year (even if his stats aren't better than last year). I do worry about his transition, but that physical ability is so tantalizing. 

I don't watch much college ball so I can't make any fair judgement about who can do what. What I would like to know though is, which QB is the smartest? 

If you stood Brian Sipe and Bernie Kosar side by side, they are very different physically. But both are very smart guys. And it's pretty well known that the reason they were both successful in the NFL was their gray matter and not their arm strength or foot speed. They could see, judge and act in a superior manner because of their IQ alone. Oh ya, I almost forgot to mention about Dr Frank Ryan....Champion

Blow analytics and numerology out your butt Jimmah!

By all accounts I have read Rosen is really smart... but it's not a simple matter of smart. It's football smart... it's processing speed...

9 hours ago, stillmotion said:

Lamar is a black tarkenton as Ghoolie would say. So what? Mayfield grabbed his sack? Kansas tried to late hit his throwing shoulder, talked Sheet, and didn't shake his hand.

Just stop... You have adopted a term coined by a guy who does not know football. Tarkenton scrambled to buy time. Jackson runs.

The closest "Tarkenton" of any skin-tone playing today is Aaron Rodgers... a time buyer who runs only as a last resort including throwing the ball away... an option Sir Francis never had.

46 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

By all accounts I have read Rosen is really smart... but it's not a simple matter of smart. It's football smart... it's processing speed...

Just stop... You have adopted a term coined by a guy who does not know football. Tarkenton scrambled to buy time. Jackson runs.

The closest "Tarkenton" of any skin-tone playing today is Aaron Rodgers... a time buyer who runs only as a last resort including throwing the ball away... an option Sir Francis never had.

Lol i didn't call him a black tarkenton. I like Jackson. In fact I like him better than Rosen. But on the field, Mayfield is my top QB.

1 hour ago, Tour2ma said:

I would put big Len in pa as a scrambler too. Rg was a runner. But ya, scrambling is not necessarily a bad thing. Maybe that's why Bernie Kosar titled his new book... Learning to Scramble.

Was Bernie talking about his brain? :o

Meanwhile back at the thread...

Anyone seen Derwin James lately. I only saw his season opener and while he was less than impressive, easy to see that could have been rust.

16 hours ago, SD_Tom said:

I'm starting to come onboard the Jackson train. I watched the SYC game, FSU, and the Clemson game. 

He's simply incredible. Best pure runner in NCAAF. Rocket arm, can whip it from anywhere, seems durable.... seems like a complete package that will get a whole lot better with the right coaching and scheme. He's got all the tools, just need to see if he can make the transition to the next level. 

This is now two quarterbacks you like and everyone of the traits you've listed as liking about them have the least amount of bearing on being successful in the NFL.

Just want to highlight that right quick. 

4 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Was Bernie talking about his brain? :o

Meanwhile back at the thread...

Anyone seen Derwin James lately. I only saw his season opener and while he was less than impressive, easy to see that could have been rust.

I'm charting everyone of Mayfields snaps vs Okie State for our friends in the Camp Mayfield thread right now.  Once im done James is who I'll be starting on next. 

I’ve been watchin some Rosen tape and I really like his accuracy, arm strength and throwing motion.  What really stands out, however, is how bad UCLA is.  Rosen has pretty good comp. % considering his o line and receiving corps are trash for the most part. I’m not ready to set up a tent in camp Rosen just yet, but he would certainly be at home on the Browns in terms of dropped passes...

On 11/19/2017 at 6:17 AM, jiggins7919 said:

Just stop. He's another RG III.  at best Michael Vick. 

7 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

If the shoe fits you wear it Tour. Jackson's running ability is worth less than diddly squat in the NFL unless he wants a premature trip to IR.....  

PS I have Rosen marginally ahead of Mayfield now- simply because he's more Pro Size". They both supposedly have character issues, time for Sashi to hire some PIs to check both of them out....  

3 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

This is now two quarterbacks you like and everyone of the traits you've listed as liking about them have the least amount of bearing on being successful in the NFL.

Just want to highlight that right quick. 

I actually like Rosen the best. I've seen more games of him than anyone else, as I'm in Pac12 land. 

I'm just saying that in terms of being impressive in college, Mayfield and Jackson are both super fun to watch for different reasons. I've seen several Mayfield games, especially when they raped the Buckeyes in Columbus. he's been unstoppable. I hadn't seen much of Jackson until I watched some Youtube videos, and he's an athletic freak. To think neither one has a chance of succeeding is far fetched. 

3 hours ago, Clevfan4life said:

I dont give a fuk about any character issues that dont risk the individual missing games. If he's a a legit cok smuggler i dont give a good and damn fuk if he can sling an accurate ball and not do stupid sht on the reg when he's pressured. If he likes coke and hooker parties, ok...now we have issues

I think that's a legit concern. He seems to enjoy partying a lot. Once they start making big money, there's always a chance guys like him will self destruct 

1 hour ago, SD_Tom said:

I actually like Rosen the best. I've seen more games of him than anyone else, as I'm in Pac12 land. 

I'm just saying that in terms of being impressive in college, Mayfield and Jackson are both super fun to watch for different reasons. I've seen several Mayfield games, especially when they raped the Buckeyes in Columbus. he's been unstoppable. I hadn't seen much of Jackson until I watched some Youtube videos, and he's an athletic freak. To think neither one has a chance of succeeding is far fetched. 

That's where you're wrong, kiddo.   *insert meme that I don't have here*

This is the no huddle of the Bedlam game.  I also watched the TCU and of course the Buckeye game twice.    Took some brief notes.  This is a full break down on the 1st half along with additional thoughts at the end.     Here we go, Wall O' Text style.

@:25  cross buck action - designed flipped to HB in the flat  1/1

@:39  5 wide tray to right - Mayfield checks into #2 pre-snap, never leaves his read
      Looks for the safety and doesn't identify or move the zone defender before throwing.    1/2 INT

@2:50 Gun R Trey to boundary - Z/H Sweep/outlet.  Pressure off right side.  Misses wide
      Open drag from 'X' receiver after clear out.  Overthrows open 6'5 target.     1/3      This is where I talk about him reseting in the pocket and seeing the field.

@3:00 Double clutches designed swing pass and poorly sells outside go.    Pass dropped by HB   1/4

@4:20 Gun R Tray stick out.   Checks into #3 on stick late.  #2 zone defender able to get his eyes 
      back around to the QB.      2/5

@4:30  Pistol L Right TE/slot motion full house to hold safeties. Motion chips left. PA Max pro   3 man vertical.
       Upback on the wheel gets good contact with safety. DB falls.   Mayfield had read vs 1on1 safety.
       Play design his best friend.    3/6 1TD 1INT

@7:05  PistolWing R 2x2.   PA Max pro  3 man vertical.  Drifts right away from protection. Throws ball away.  3/7 TD INT

@7:18  Gun L Trey to field.  tunnel screen to boundary.  4/8 TD INT

@7:46  Pistol 2x2 PAF Oline slide right with rollout.  Near side #2 seals backer.  
       Drifts left.  Double vertical from backside with late release safety valve same.  5/9  TD INT

@7:58  Gun 2x2  PA. 3 man rush. Fake X screen with #2 on wheel.  Well defended, Mayfield comes across to #2 on the over
       Moves to #3 outlet and rolls right avoiding defender.  Scramble drill for #2 on the out.    6/10 TD INT  

@8:13  Gun L Offset.   RPO.  Backside defender clamps down.  Throw away.   6/11  TD INT

@10:31 Pistol L Right   PAF Max pro.  Checks into #2 on curl.  #2 drops it.   Linebackers bite HARD on fake.  Play design great.
       6/12 TD INT

@10:47 Gun Quad R to boundary.  Jet motion fake oline slide QB rollout.  #3 seals frontside backer.  Max Pro 3 man.
       #1 & #2  Dig/Curl switch vs 1on1.     7/13 TD INT

@11:08 Gun stack left Z Jet sweep.  Reverse RPO.  Camera drifts away.  QB throws back aross body to farside hash into traffic.
        8/14  TD INT

@11:39 Pistol Tray R  PAF Bubble screen   9/15  TD INT 

@12:02 Gun offset Wing R   PAF  #2 on Over.  Takes read, tries "look off" comes back to #2.   Good matchup.  Puts too much on ball.
       Doesn't allow larger TE to take advantage of smaller DB    9/16  TD INT.   PI could/should have been called.     

**  At this point I'm not in love with Bakers ball placement**   He loves throwing heaters and doesn't appear to be able to change
    veolicty on his throws when he has to come off his primary or is forced to reset in the pocket. 

@12:34  Gun Trey Wing Left...  Technically quad left w/ backfield.  Setup to show fake screen from earlier fumble for TD.   
        QB draw with no lead.  Not a very good head fake or sell.     Beats safety with stiff arm.   That just ain't happening in the NFL
        Great determination though and quick choice on running lane.  9/16 Rush TD Pass TD INT

@14:47  Gun offset 2x2    Nearside clearout/ double move slant combo.  Slight pump fake on the #2 vertical, comes back to slant.
        Ball is put on receiver in stride though still slightly behind him.    First time I've seen Baker stay in the pocket, read then deliver.
        Good pass pro by HB.   Solid footwork and drive through the throw.   10/17 RUSH TD PASS TD INT    YAC for TD.  
        This offense looks fun as Sheet to play in.  Lincoln Riley is the reason for this teams turn around.

****  Notice a lot of misdirection, screens and sweeps to setup the QB rollouts.  They aren't NFL style bootletgs or waggles.  Pair that with
      3 man Max pro concepts and when in the pocket, working the 2 man game to one side of the field***

****  This film really stands out to me as showing that the Oklahoma offense is just fun n gun and per usual - Big 12 defenses are just trash.****
      P.S.   Mason Rudolph has ZERO ball command.  The dude just launches Sheet full speed.  No ability to pace his throws and accuracy is beyond spotty.

@17:24 Pistol Wing R PAF Max Pro 3 man game.  Baker drifts Right, changes launch point and attacks 1on1 to field side.    Okie State's defense finally 
       getting a little aggressive.   But their pass rush vs Oklahoma is awful.  Good ball delivered on the deep curl. 11/18 2TD INT

@17:36 Gun split L cross buck action from earlier - designed flare to other HB.  State was ready and outside defender attacks upfield at Baker.
       11/19 2TDS INT                  

@17: Gun offset Wing R PAF Backside pull QB power RPO?  Max protect 3 man game.  Defender maintains outside leverage.
     Baker looks to climb back into pocket, avoids LB, drops eyes, throws flat to covered receiver.  Ball very low. 
     Likely throw away to avoid penalty. 
       11/20 2TDS INT

@18:20 Split offset right.  PAF Max Pro 3 man game.   Far side pivot/under combo.  Appears to just be looking at a part of the field
       waiting to see a reciever flash open.   Both defenders get flat footed, Baker goes to the pivot.   
        12/20 2TDS INT

*****  The offense is friendly - very.   Any vertical throws are done off heavy play action and usually with Max pro.  
 The major difference between this year and last are the passing/protection concepts and how Oklahoma is choosing to attack the field.
 So far the passing game outside of quick screens is non existent without heavy PAP, fake Jet sweeps and misdirection.   There are 
 Very few if any straight drops.  In fact I counted  one in the first half and that was the INT.   I haven't done the math but I would be curious
 As to the numbers on depth of throw.  

*****   The simplicity of the passing system has been a big deal for the Sooners.  I didn't see Mayfield work progressions from the pocket save for
       Maybe once.  It doesn't appear as if he's comfortable doing so with any type of regularity.  Right now when not using Max protect and designed 
       QB rollouts,  Oklahoma attempts to limit their passing game to one side of the field giving Mayfield a 1a or 1b situation.   The double teams
       That their TE (Andrews) draws really gives them the flexibity to draw the attention of safeties thus giving very obvious 1on1 outside throws 
       Usually to whatever side of the field he doesn't occupy.  Scrambling QB in a friendly system.   Doesn't have elite measurables, acceleration, speed or accuracy.             Right now I have Mayfield as a 3rd to 4th round grade only because of how critical The QB position is.  

However I'm positive he'll be drafted much higher based on what I've just said.   Physically the arm talent is there and 
       When able to set and throw in timing, the footwork and drive is good.   However I've seen zero ability to slide, reset in the pocket, keep eyes
       Downfield and work progressions - unless of course, otherwise being on the move by design.     

Saw more from Rosen in one play alone than I've seen from Mayfield in 2 & 1/2 games.

@2:44.     Honestly, just watch.   You have to appreciate all you just saw on this play.  Downfield vision,  poise, pocket presence and awareness then finally, identifying and delivering.  

I'm sold, tia...

And Benkert is Rosen-lite... ;)

6 hours ago, hoorta said:

If the shoe fits you wear it Tour. Jackson's running ability is worth less than diddly squat in the NFL unless he wants a premature trip to IR..... 

As Hamilton told Jefferson... Sittin’ there useless as two shits
Hey, turn around, bend over, I’ll show you
Where my shoe fits

Running seems to be working just fine for Wilson, h.

6 hours ago, hoorta said:

PS I have Rosen marginally ahead of Mayfield now- simply because he's more Pro Size". They both supposedly have character issues, time for Sashi to hire some PIs to check both of them out....  

Ah... but only one has on-going chararcter issues.

2 hours ago, SD_Tom said:

To think neither one has a chance of succeeding is far fetched. 

Every draft numerous college QBs have "a chance", a "possibility" of succeeding.

But the draft is not about "possible"... it's about "probable" as in probability of success.

I'm still looking, but I've not seen greater potential in any QB than I have in Rosen.

Archived