Sign in to follow this  
tiamat63

The 'who have you watched lately?' thread.

Ok-self destruction in Miami so on to PSU's Barkley the dog against a crappy Neb. team.

4pm eastern on FS1.

4 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Barkley starts with a long TD.

The gane is on already? :o

I want to watch the (probably) top 2 guys tonight but of the rest Ive been watching... 1. Jackson, 2. Rudolph, 3. Mayfield

Ive never even watched Allen live so hes not on my list. 

Of the above 3, Jackson is the only one even close to a 1st rounder.

2 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

To know who had better stats than that?  Graham Harrel

Totally irrelevant to this discussion.  No team would take Benkert over Mayfield.  Not one. 

Barkley 3rd Q 4:39 to go 17 Carries 158 yds. and 3 TDs

12 minutes ago, SD_Tom said:

Totally irrelevant to this discussion.  No team would take Benkert over Mayfield.  Not one. 

You bring up stats then tell me they're irrelevant...?

4 hours ago, jiggins7919 said:

The numbers don't suggest too skinny but the eyeball test does...if that makes sense. I'm not saying the man is puny or anything, but it's a common concern regarding Jackson (the frame or his build).  

Live eyeballs from bottom of stands,at rail 2 hours before kick off.(35 yards away? maybe),I posted somewhere that night,He's larger live than on TV,surprised me also).Lamar is thick above waist put after thigh pads he's scary thin below knee caps..EDIT --..My friends seats at NC State our mid level 41 yard line. The 2nd & 3rd Quarter I went straight to top of Carter Finley to see a all 22 live binoculars..Lamar would many times find single coverage receivers late, than relied on his feet or check down..My worry is, In a passing league next level? his only confidence was in his feet/RB's or 1 WR (Fitzpatrick?)..Still watching Lamar since NC State game.. He's a QB & we need 3 of them..

1 hour ago, tiamat63 said:

You bring up stats then tell me they're irrelevant...?

The comparison was between 2 qbs playing today. You bring up herrold  who played years ago,  so yes he and his stats are absolutely irrelevant to the discussion. 

10 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

6'3 + 213 = "slender"?

Not getting that vibe... Definitely nothing like Teddy B. coming out.

Question is... is Lamar running smart this season? I've seen very little of him this season. He was prone to getting a lil reckless last year.

Nope- in the words of Ghoolie- Black Tarkenton. 

8 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

I've been talking with Tour since he first clued me in on him, but if you're a fan of Mayfield, Rosen, Allen or Darnold - I'd suggest tuning into the UVA-Miami game now and watch Kurt.

If Benkurt was on a couple of those teams, or really any team with some more talent around him, he would be getting easy 1st round hype right now.   The kid has the goods to be next level and I encourage you to take a long look at him.   I'll paraphrase my thoughts between Tour and I in my summary of him later.  

We'll see if he goes up draft boards...   

8 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Just opened "Camp Benkert"...

All are welcome.

We aren't shopping the bargain bin this year Tour. Suck for Sam, relapse for Rosen, play like bums for Baker. I'm all in on drafting 2 QBs this year. I saw more good QB play today than I have all year out of Kizer. 

9 minutes ago, hoorta said:

Suck for Sam, relapse for Rosen, play like bums for Baker. I'm all in on drafting 2 QBs this year. I saw more good QB play today than I have all year out of Kizer. 

Dilly :) Dilly!! We need more Whine

• Haha 1

Baker Mayfield is now off the list. He grabbed his nut-sack after his last touchdown throw in a show of serious disrespect, and it was caught on tape. No way in hell we take him. I know he quickly apologized, but we just can't have our QB grabbing his jewels and talking smack to the opposition or to fans. 

Now, on the flip side, do yourself a favor and watch the highlights of Lamar Jackson. He honestly doesn't look real. He looks like a character you create in Playstation College Football where you get a finite amount of attribute points, but with Lamar, the amount of available attribute points was doubled on accident. The truly unfair thing about Jackson is his acceleration. There are several fast qb's in the league, but there is NOBODY who possesses the surreal acceleration of Jackson. It's literally one step to full speed, and that full speed is stupid fast. 

But do more than just look at the running plays, and be sure to carefully watch some of his throws. He had one deep seam toss that had a window of about a foot, and Jackson squeezed it in there....in stride....for a long touchdown. He had several throws that were big league, and if he continues doing that, there might not be any way to pass on the overwhelmingly gifted Jackson. 

I'm serious, this guy has so many physical gifts, that he has me wondering if he's worth drafting and completely changing the offense to suit him. He'd be an absolute nightmare to defend on 3rd and short, or near the goal line, and he actually throws a gorgeous fade route...something that the bozos on our team obviously struggle with. Yes he's far from a finished product, but the talent is there, and everything I read says the drive is there too. I have no clue about Wonderlic stuff, off the field behavior, or other possible skeletons that MIGHT exist, but we'll surely get all that as the draft approaches in a few months. 

We still need to add WRs and we know that. If we somehow knew Josh Gordon was going to be here, I think we could sleep better, but we're far too smart for that nonsense. We also know we can't depend on Corey Coleman, and we desperately need to add some serious WR talent to help whoever is taking snaps. One thing I love about Jackson is his ability to throw deep seam passes with accuracy and consistency, and I believe he'd be perfect for a developing Njoku. Add in the fact he throws a beautiful fade, and our red zone offense could get an instant jolt. Of course Lamar would have to beat out Kizer, but that's a win-win to me. If Kizer wins the job, that means he's playing WELL. Which is what everyone wants in the first place. 

However, let's not get ahead of ourselves. First thing is to draft Jackson. Then we figure out the rest. I've always liked the guy but wondered if he could transition to the pros. Now I'm to the point where I believe his talent is simply too much to pass on, and his abilities are so completely vast and overwhelming, that NFL coaches would almost HAVE to to make it work with him. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, jiggins7919 said:

Baker Mayfield is now off the list. He grabbed his nut-sack after his last touchdown throw in a show of serious disrespect, and it was caught on tape. No way in hell we take him. I know he quickly apologized, but we just can't have our QB grabbing his jewels and talking smack to the opposition or to fans. 

Agree... not because of the specific action, but because it shows a lack of self-control... the immaturity Some here will love "his fire", his "attytude", but I can't go there.

As for his "apology"... 'bout as genuine as that $400mm Leonardo painting... as his one for the "flag plant". His body language screamed POW video. Said a "coach pointed out his action was wrong" or something to that effect. That he was just "caught up in the emotion". And in the end all he did was prove the opponents were right to not shake hands at the coin flip. (Anyone know what prompted their refusal? BB material Baker said?)

But some team will want him to be their "crotch of the franchise"...

I like Rashaad Penny from SDSU.    Quite a night he had last night, granted against Nevada who stinks and it's the Mountain West which also stinks for the most part but he's had solid games against ASU and Stanford this season.

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sports/sd-sp-aztecs-rashaad-penny-sets-record-with-429-yards-in-offense-20171118-story.html

6 hours ago, jiggins7919 said:

Now, on the flip side, do yourself a favor and watch the highlights of Lamar Jackson. He honestly doesn't look real. He looks like a character you create in Playstation College Football where you get a finite amount of attribute points, but with Lamar, the amount of available attribute points was doubled on accident. The truly unfair thing about Jackson is his acceleration. There are several fast qb's in the league, but there is NOBODY who possesses the surreal acceleration of Jackson. It's literally one step to full speed, and that full speed is stupid fast. 

But do more than just look at the running plays, and be sure to carefully watch some of his throws. He had one deep seam toss that had a window of about a foot, and Jackson squeezed it in there....in stride....for a long touchdown. He had several throws that were big league, and if he continues doing that, there might not be any way to pass on the overwhelmingly gifted Jackson. 

I'm serious, this guy has so many physical gifts, that he has me wondering if he's worth drafting and completely changing the offense to suit him. He'd be an absolute nightmare to defend on 3rd and short, or near the goal line, and he actually throws a gorgeous fade route...something that the bozos on our team obviously struggle with. Yes he's far from a finished product, but the talent is there, and everything I read says the drive is there too. I have no clue about Wonderlic stuff, off the field behavior, or other possible skeletons that MIGHT exist, but we'll surely get all that as the draft approaches in a few months. 

We still need to add WRs and we know that. If we somehow knew Josh Gordon was going to be here, I think we could sleep better, but we're far too smart for that nonsense. We also know we can't depend on Corey Coleman, and we desperately need to add some serious WR talent to help whoever is taking snaps. One thing I love about Jackson is his ability to throw deep seam passes with accuracy and consistency, and I believe he'd be perfect for a developing Njoku. Add in the fact he throws a beautiful fade, and our red zone offense could get an instant jolt. Of course Lamar would have to beat out Kizer, but that's a win-win to me. If Kizer wins the job, that means he's playing WELL. Which is what everyone wants in the first place. 

However, let's not get ahead of ourselves. First thing is to draft Jackson. Then we figure out the rest. I've always liked the guy but wondered if he could transition to the pros. Now I'm to the point where I believe his talent is simply too much to pass on, and his abilities are so completely vast and overwhelming, that NFL coaches would almost HAVE to to make it work with him. 

Agree on Mayfield... plus hes not that good. Not quite as high on Jackson... yet. Has some footwork issues thatve gotten better, but still scares me a little transitioning to the nfl.

7 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Agree... not because of the specific action, but because it shows a lack of self-control... the immaturity Some here will love "his fire", his "attytude", but I can't go there.

As for his "apology"... 'bout as genuine as that $400mm Leonardo painting... as his one for the "flag plant". His body language screamed POW video. Said a "coach pointed out his action was wrong" or something to that effect. That he was just "caught up in the emotion". And in the end all he did was prove the opponents were right to not shake hands at the coin flip. (Anyone know what prompted their refusal? BB material Baker said?)

But some team will want him to be their "crotch of the franchise"...

You're welcome ;)

I'm starting to come onboard the Jackson train. I watched the SYC game, FSU, and the Clemson game. 

He's simply incredible. Best pure runner in NCAAF. Rocket arm, can whip it from anywhere, seems durable.... seems like a complete package that will get a whole lot better with the right coaching and scheme. He's got all the tools, just need to see if he can make the transition to the next level. 

20 hours ago, jiggins7919 said:

Lamar is a black tarkenton as Ghoolie would say. So what? Mayfield grabbed his sack? Kansas tried to late hit his throwing shoulder, talked Sheet, and didn't shake his hand.

• Upvote 1

He's off the list for us because of our Johnny experience. I can almost guarantee it. I guess we'll see though...I love his game and his fire. If he can just learn to channel it more positively, I believe he'll be an excellent player. 

17 hours ago, thenew23 said:

Agree on Mayfield... plus hes not that good. Not quite as high on Jackson... yet. Has some footwork issues thatve gotten better, but still scares me a little transitioning to the nfl.

Let me be totally clear. Lamar scares me too, but I'm also scared NOT to draft him if that makes sense. He's far from a finished product, but he has improved every year (even if his stats aren't better than last year). I do worry about his transition, but that physical ability is so tantalizing. 

I don't watch much college ball so I can't make any fair judgement about who can do what. What I would like to know though is, which QB is the smartest? 

If you stood Brian Sipe and Bernie Kosar side by side, they are very different physically. But both are very smart guys. And it's pretty well known that the reason they were both successful in the NFL was their gray matter and not their arm strength or foot speed. They could see, judge and act in a superior manner because of their IQ alone. Oh ya, I almost forgot to mention about Dr Frank Ryan....Champion

Blow analytics and numerology out your butt Jimmah!

By all accounts I have read Rosen is really smart... but it's not a simple matter of smart. It's football smart... it's processing speed...

9 hours ago, stillmotion said:

Lamar is a black tarkenton as Ghoolie would say. So what? Mayfield grabbed his sack? Kansas tried to late hit his throwing shoulder, talked Sheet, and didn't shake his hand.

Just stop... You have adopted a term coined by a guy who does not know football. Tarkenton scrambled to buy time. Jackson runs.

The closest "Tarkenton" of any skin-tone playing today is Aaron Rodgers... a time buyer who runs only as a last resort including throwing the ball away... an option Sir Francis never had.

46 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

By all accounts I have read Rosen is really smart... but it's not a simple matter of smart. It's football smart... it's processing speed...

Just stop... You have adopted a term coined by a guy who does not know football. Tarkenton scrambled to buy time. Jackson runs.

The closest "Tarkenton" of any skin-tone playing today is Aaron Rodgers... a time buyer who runs only as a last resort including throwing the ball away... an option Sir Francis never had.

Lol i didn't call him a black tarkenton. I like Jackson. In fact I like him better than Rosen. But on the field, Mayfield is my top QB.

1 hour ago, Tour2ma said:

I would put big Len in pa as a scrambler too. Rg was a runner. But ya, scrambling is not necessarily a bad thing. Maybe that's why Bernie Kosar titled his new book... Learning to Scramble.

Was Bernie talking about his brain? :o

Meanwhile back at the thread...

Anyone seen Derwin James lately. I only saw his season opener and while he was less than impressive, easy to see that could have been rust.