THE BROWNS BOARD

The jags game could easily be a trap game for them

Clevfan4life

9 minutes ago, Clevfan4life said:

I predict the browns jump out infront of a lazy team that will initially play like its the pro bowl. Will up to the defense to hold the lead.

Similar thought here... plus the match up of their running 'tween the tackles and our run-stuffing 'tween them. Should force Bortles to throw...

Their D though... tough task there.

10 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

Similar thought here... plus the match up of their running 'tween the tackles and our run-stuffing 'tween them. Should force Bortles to throw...

Im still tryin to figure out wut happened to our run d after collins got hurt. I mean even nassib got turn blocked, those rb's all of a sudden had acres of edge space to turn upfield. I could understand runs up the middle breaking when u lose ur best lb'er, but why all of a sudden did our normally decent edge protection fail after his injury? 

16 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

I think that's our only chance.   Make Bortles beat us and hopefully he Blake Bortles himself against us and then we have a chance.   But their defense is legit...they've made QB's with a whole lot more experience than Kizer look pretty bad.    Hopefully the kid has another good game this week. 

Well, it is a real test both for Kizer and our defense. Kizer will meet one of the best secondaries in the league and a great pass rush, whereas our defense will have to face the best rushing attack in the league.

Let's see if our run defense is legit or not, it will be difficult to shut their run game down so everything falls on Bortles' shoulders. 

I thought that the Detroit game was the most difficult one in the schedule for the rest of the season, and for me this one is the second hardest one, but hey, they played well last Sunday (apart from the 4qt meltdown), and Jacksonville hasn't been consistent the entire year. They've always alternated wins with losses and this week is the first one they had 2 wins in a row. 

I see what the original poster is thinking, but I don't think we'll win. Over the past years, the Jags have given us trouble. Even the rare times we were SUPPOSED to win (yes, those times existed) the Jags gave us fits because of their extraordinarily physical defense. I remember them pushing us around and our offense struggling more than usual, and we had such a difficult time scoring points against them. 

The Jags' current defense is still physical, and they also want to punish the opposition on the ground. I VERY much want a physical back like they have, and people like Fournette and Gurley have people rethinking the value of drafting a RB high in the draft. Our defense is good against the run, despite a rough outing recently, but the loss of Collins will cost us dearly. This game above all others will come down to forcing them into 3rd and long situations. We want Bortles forcing the ball into tight windows so we can exploit his inconsistent accuracy. Additionally, I don't think this is a game where we need to bring pressure ALL the time. Gregg Williams definitely got abused by Matt Stafford last week, and we were caught multiple times with our pants down for big plays and a game-clinching TD. We need to disguise our blitzes better, FAKE pressure often and drop back into coverage. We also need our guys win on one on the DL and get sacks that way. Bortles will hold onto the rock, and chances will be there. Keep an eye on Ogbah, as Myles Garrett's presence should continue to benefit him. 

It's safe to say their secondary makes me nervous. We're going to have to find ways to get our running game cooking, and we can't get into consistent 3rd and longs or we're going to have a long day. We'll need to take some measured deep shots and mix in the occasional double move. We had Dreggs on one such move but Kessler missed him by a freaking mile. THOSE are the kind of opportunities we simply can't miss if we ever want to be in the winning column. 

Bortles WILL give us a few chances to make some picks, so we have to exploit them. We MUST connect on any deep shots that present themselves, and force them into FG's when they are in red zone. I personally think their physical defense will be too much for us to overcome, but hopefully in wrong. It's really a bad break for Kizer who is coming off his best career game AND has near-broken ribs. Now he does get Coleman back, so this could help, but my expectations are definitely measured. 

3 hours ago, Nero said:

Well, it is a real test both for Kizer and our defense. Kizer will meet one of the best secondaries in the league and a great pass rush, whereas our defense will have to face the best rushing attack in the league.

You mean that dime a dozen shouldabeen 2nd-3rd round Tour pick-Fornette? :P

I have him at the top of my fantasy list for this weekend. 150-200 points for sure.;)

3 hours ago, jiggins7919 said:

I see what the original poster is thinking, but I don't think we'll win. Over the past years, the Jags have given us trouble. Even the rare times we were SUPPOSED to win (yes, those times existed) the Jags gave us fits because of their extraordinarily physical defense. I remember them pushing us around and our offense struggling more than usual, and we had such a difficult time scoring points against them. 

True... but surely you remember that we had to win first time out with Greco in for Mack and... wait for it... McQuistan backfilling for Greco at RG. Whatever chance we had going in.... and I think it was a good one... went out the window with every McQ ragdolling.

And this D is even better... so agree that my "W" expectation is low, but we have a punchers chance... as in if we can punch up some runs, set up PA and Kizer can buy time in obvious passing situations... we have a shot. Lotta iffin' atop make Bortles be Bortles, but it's all we got.

14 hours ago, Clevfan4life said:

Jax has a poir rush d...

en français?
2 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

You mean that dime a dozen shouldabeen 2nd-3rd round Tour pick-Fornette? :P

I have him at the top of my fantasy list for this weekend. 150-200 points for sure.;)

What? And sit Henry? :P

1 hour ago, Tour2ma said:

And this D is even better... so agree that my "W" expectation is low, but we have a punchers chance... as in if we can punch up some runs, set up PA and Kizer can buy time in obvious passing situations... we have a shot. Lotta iffin' atop make Bortles be Bortles, but it's all we got.

I'll be hopeful for a win c ome Sunday morning but i'd think it has to be low scoring and we've got to hope that Bortles does them in.

Not to mention their DL..

Both Coleman and Drango are going to have their hands full. Pretty sure Coleman draws Calais Campbell while Drango sees Fowler, Jr. in passing situations... Yikes!

and LBs...

Posluszny has been one of the most underrated MLBs for years and now he's joined by Smith and a healthy Jack? Wow...

And suddenly my already limited hope takes a knee to the groin...

2 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

en français?

What? And sit Henry? :P

35 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

Not to mention their DL..

Both Coleman and Drango are going to have their hands full. Pretty sure Coleman draws Calais Campbell while Drango sees Fowler, Jr. in passing situations... Yikes!

and LBs...

Posluszny has been one of the most underrated MLBs for years and now he's joined by Smith and a healthy Jack? Wow...

And suddenly my already limited hope takes a knee to the groin...

Posluszny still playing? Christ i remember wanting the browns to draft him years ago. Like he came out from penn st pre mangini years right? Gotta be close to 10 years now

What? And sit Henry? 

You are aware you can play up to 3 RB's right? That said I gave up on the idiot Titans who take Henry out when they are close in the redzone. I still think we can make a deal with them and immediately upgrade our power run game.

EDIT: But our FO will likely take the Henry lookalike from Bama (Bo), who only looks like him physically with the ponytail and all, but is a far cry from a Henry.

True... but surely you remember that we had to win first time out with Greco in for Mack and... wait for it... McQuistan backfilling for Greco at RG. Whatever chance we had going in.... and I think it was a good one... went out the window with every McQ ragdolling.

Oh I agree in some respects.  I still think the Jags have to learn how to win, and how to win the games they're SUPPOSED to.  Bortles is notoriously inaccurate, and while he seems to have fixed this issue to some degree, but I'm pretty sure there's going to be some opportunities for us to pick him off.  Not only that, but I seem to remember Bortles having a good deal of his passes deflected at the line.  This could be something I simply made up in my mind, or perhaps I saw a game where he had several deflected passes and it stuck with me, but if we get our hands on a few throws at the line of scrimmage, we just might come away with a turnover or even a pick-6.  

I know we got gashed on the ground in the first half last week, but we've been pretty decent against the rush so far this year.  Obviously the loss of Collins is a nightmare, but I seem to remember Burgess being pretty stout against the run (he got dinged up last week, so hopefully he's alright).  Perhaps we can keep Fournette in check and keep it a low-scoring game.  

No matter how I look at it, I still believe we're going to struggle mightily on offense.  However, I can make a decent argument for us keeping it close, and you never know what can happen when a game is close in the 4th quarter.  We've had a few games where if we made just ONE big play, we could've won it.  Let's make that play...for once.  

When the Jags can run effectively and keep Bortles' PAs in the teens, he can be effective. Establish the run... throw in a few PAP rollouts to wide open TEs and there it is. Put the game on his shoulders and he buckles. Just doesn't see the field.

I think your batted pass memory is accurate. Contributing factor to the horrendous overthrow he made late this past Sunday when the Charger Safety stupidly pranced rather than trying to return the INT. Could have shifted field position enough to prevent the game-winning FG when LAC failed to move the ball and JAX had all three TOs left.

Completely with you on learning to win... they ain't there yet as Sunday showed.

1 hour ago, Clevfan4life said:

Posluszny still playing? Christ i remember wanting the browns to draft him years ago. Like he came out from penn st pre mangini years right? Gotta be close to 10 years now

I confuse him with old Dave Puzzouli.....Brownd DL back in the 80s I believe.

Archived