THE BROWNS BOARD

The Philadelphia Eagles are doing it wrong.

Richiswhere

20 minutes ago, Richiswhere said:

Oh come on...... everyone knows that you have to first strip the organization down to 30 UDFAs, 20 draft picks and 3 hold over vets. Then you have to chase, and then set an NFL record for futility over your first two seasons.

Then after your 3rd draft and off season, you can go 5-11 which will set you up nicely for a 4th year 7-9 record..... all culminating in a 5th year 8-8 glory season for the ages.

^ Now that's how you do a Process

3 minutes ago, D Bone said:

Oh come on...... everyone knows that you have to first strip the organization down to 30 UDFAs, 20 draft picks and 3 hold over vets. Then you have to chase, and then set an NFL record for futility over your first two seasons.

Then after your 3rd draft and off season, you can go 5-11 which will set you up nicely for a 4th year 7-9 record..... all culminating in a 5th year 8-8 glory season for the ages.

^ Now that's how you do a Process

"BUH BUH they were stacked already! Drafting well and getting free agents didn't turn them around. THEY WERE STACKED I TELL YOU! Chip Kelly left them a wealth of riches."

38 minutes ago, LogicIsForSquares said:

"BUH BUH they were stacked already! Drafting well and getting free agents didn't turn them around. THEY WERE STACKED I TELL YOU! Chip Kelly left them a wealth of riches."

It's too bad chip doesn't know how to "Coach it"

2 hours ago, Richiswhere said:

How'd they come up with the 14 or so other starters not mentioned in the article????????

Oh... that's right they were there already... silly me... they only spent two years adding pieces to complete a pretty damn close to made team. Some of whom are in their last gig.

Perfectly applicable article...

17 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

How'd they come up with the 14 or so other starters not mentioned in the article????????

Oh... that's right they were there already... silly me... they only spent two years adding pieces to complete a pretty damn close to made team. Some of whom are in their last gig.

Well they did finish dead last in the NFC East with that abysmal 7-9 record the previous year.

I WISH we could have a 7-9 season.

18 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

Isaiah Crowell

Duke Johnson

Joe Thomas

Joel Bitonio

Danny Shelton

Christian Kirksey

Jamie Meder

Nate Orchard

Alex Mack

Mitchell Schwartz

Travis Benjamin 

Tashaun Gipson 

Terrelle Pryor

Sorry about that

The Eagles are not that good. Wentz is a bum. The only decent team they've played this year they lost to. They beat the shitty Redskins twice and Chargers and the Broncows. Oh! The Giants and the 49ers! Damn, they're world beaters! LOL they suck. 

4 minutes ago, PoeticG said:

The Eagles are not that good. Wentz is a bum. The only decent team they've played this year they lost to. They beat the shitty Redskins twice and Chargers and the Broncows. Oh! The Giants and the 49ers! Damn, they're world beaters! LOL they suck. 

I'd love to suck my way to 8-1.      Shit..that would be horrible.  Best record in the NFL....jesus...why the hell would anyone want that.    Can you imagine how good they would be if they had a stiff like Jeff Hogan playing QB and not that shitty Wentz dude?  

Not comparable situations in any way.

Iggles had multiple PB-level or actual PB players at every level.. and went 7-9.  Browns have... a total of 1. Or, as of this week, 0.

Until Browns have multiple PB players year-in and year-out, getting a championship-level team will take more than just a couple trades.

It sure doesn't hurt that Alshon Jeffrey is slightly better than Kenny Britt.

Bully for the Eagles. This has nothing to do with Browns football. Screw the Eagles,and screw Pete Retzlaff

53 minutes ago, Unsympathetic said:

Not comparable situations in any way.

Iggles had multiple PB-level or actual PB players at every level.. and went 7-9.  Browns have... a total of 1. Or, as of this week, 0. 

Interesting cause I see the eagles had 4 Pro bowlers and the Browns had 3. 

Until Browns have multiple PB players year-in and year-out, getting a championship-level team will take more than just a couple trades.

The year before the Browns had 4 Pro Bowlers

It sure doesn't hurt that Alshon Jeffrey is slightly better than Kenny Britt.

Coleman, Louis, Payton, Higgins, Bowe, Britt

I look at the rosters and they had half their offense in place in 2015, prior to drafting Wentz.  They also used FA a lot, which - again - Haslam has repeatedly indicated he does not want to do... rather build through draft.

Also looks like their defensive roster is predominantly guys they drafted.  Their drafts for the last 5 years were mostly defensive players with the exception of 2016.

So yeah, the model of building/drafting defense first, other offensive pieces next and only then going after the QB has been proven once more by the Eagles.

As for the Browns, it's pretty clear that a big deficiency lies in the people evaluating the draft talent.  They've been horrible at it for almost 2 decades.  Doesn't matter if it's 'football' people or the current method of relying on analytics and all that Combine data.

Since they can't evaluate draft talent and they have some salary cap space, why not buy a QB instead of relying on this ineffective set of scouts to draft one.  Maybe they could do this while they overhaul their scouting and player personnel system.

5 hours ago, BrownPile said:

I look at the rosters and they had half their offense in place in 2015, prior to drafting Wentz.  They also used FA a lot, which - again - Haslam has repeatedly indicated he does not want to do... rather build through draft.

Also looks like their defensive roster is predominantly guys they drafted.  Their drafts for the last 5 years were mostly defensive players with the exception of 2016.

So yeah, the model of building/drafting defense first, other offensive pieces next and only then going after the QB has been proven once more by the Eagles.

As for the Browns, it's pretty clear that a big deficiency lies in the people evaluating the draft talent.  They've been horrible at it for almost 2 decades.  Doesn't matter if it's 'football' people or the current method of relying on analytics and all that Combine data.

Since they can't evaluate draft talent and they have some salary cap space, why not buy a QB instead of relying on this ineffective set of scouts to draft one.  Maybe they could do this while they overhaul their scouting and player personnel system.

Great take... Only quibble I have is over what Jimmah said which I remember as building our core through the draft. There will come a time when we get more aggressive in FA to add those final pieces through FA, but that time is not now. Instead, much as the Eagles did in 2016 we'll add the odd piece here and there, generally no one earth-shattering...

Bradham? Not exactly the most highly sought LB when they signed him... solid player in BUF, but hardly a "star". Barwin? An even earlier example of a great talent in HOU that could not stay healthy there, but has in Philly. Both were good, young players at the time they joined the team. Arguably our trade for/signing of Collins eclipses either of those moves. We also added Taylor at CB followed by McCourty.

Move to 2017 and the Iggles went into "final piece" mode. That's when they added vets like Long to their mix... pass rush depth. Jeffrey and Smith to the WR corps... Blount the battering ram... all players in the back-end of their careers. All players to complete the push now and maybe another year or two. We are not there yet. We are still two years from being there.

Of course the reason they got close enough to make these moves was Wentz. While we may have been willing to spend a high first on him, we weren't sold on him enough to pass up, or essential "spend", two #1's on him. They were and so far that's to their credit... so far.

When we find our guy... and I believe we will... not only will no one care that we did not believe strongly enough in Wentz, all will see us moving toards adding "final pieces".

BOOK IT!

46 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

When we find our guy... and I believe we will... not only will no one care that we did not believe strongly enough in Wentz, all will see us moving toards adding "final pieces".

BOOK IT!

Meanwhile just read the book.:P

Looking for Mr. Goodbar(novel) 1st edition cover.jpg

EDIT: Speaking of which Tour-are you recording the UCLA-USC game so you can look at the fine points of both QBs?

1 hour ago, Tour2ma said:

Great take... Only quibble I have is over what Jimmah said which I remember as building our core through the draft. There will come a time when we get more aggressive in FA to add those final pieces through FA, but that time is not now. Instead, much as the Eagles did in 2016 we'll add the odd piece here and there, generally no one earth-shattering...

Bradham? Not exactly the most highly sought LB when they signed him... solid player in BUF, but hardly a "star". Barwin? An even earlier example of a great talent in HOU that could not stay healthy there, but has in Philly. Both were good, young players at the time they joined the team. Arguably our trade for/signing of Collins eclipses either of those moves. We also added Taylor at CB followed by McCourty.

Move to 2017 and the Iggles went into "final piece" mode. That's when they added vets like Long to their mix... pass rush depth. Jeffrey and Smith to the WR corps... Blount the battering ram... all players in the back-end of their careers. All players to complete the push now and maybe another year or two. We are not there yet. We are still two years from being there.

Of course the reason they got close enough to make these moves was Wentz. While we may have been willing to spend a high first on him, we weren't sold on him enough to pass up, or essential "spend", two #1's on him. They were and so far that's to their credit... so far.

BOOK IT!

You restore my hope for this board daily my man !! 

35 minutes ago, LondonBrown said:

You restore my hope for this board daily my man !! 

My name is Tour and I'm here to help...

#HandsAcrossTheOcean

17 hours ago, PoeticG said:

Well...it is fair to look at their strength of schedule.  But you have to remember...those other teams have bad records in part because the Eagles beat them.

And you know what they always say:   If you beat the bums and split with the good teams...you can make the playoffs or win a title that way.

Archived