THE BROWNS BOARD

Rumors. Harbaugh, others to Browns??

The Gipper

2 minutes ago, jcam222 said:

Competitive guys with huge egos want to show they are IT. Imagine if you are THE coach who turns it around for the Browns. You are a legend who can write your own ticket. Add in a text n of young talent and draft picks, why wouldn't you is a better question. 

Exactly.   We had these same discussions 2 years ago and all the naysayers were saying the same thing, why would anyone come here?  We are going to get some no name...etc etc.   Then they went out and picked up the coach that was the hot candidate that offseason and experts were all saying that he was the guy who would turn it around in Cleveland.  Turns out that looks like a mistake.  Doesn't mean you have to live with it forever or even another 23 games of it.   Make the move in the offseason and get a HC who will buy into the process.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Alkid3 said:

Harbaugh > Hue not even close 

He'll switch us to a 3-4 tho so thats out. The only reason our 4-3 is decent is because we drafted 2-3 years now 4-3 talent that until this year we used in a 3-4. None of our edges are 3-4 guys. Its a complete decensive over haul say hello to 31st in the league in all categories. 

1 minute ago, Mark O said:

Exactly.   We had these same discussions 2 years ago and all the naysayers were saying the same thing, why would anyone come here?  We are going to get some no name...etc etc.   Then they went out and picked up the coach that was the hot candidate that offseason and experts were all saying that he was the guy who would turn it around in Cleveland.  Turns out that looks like a mistake.  Doesn't mean you have to live with it forever or even another 23 games of it.   Make the move in the offseason and get a HC who will buy into the process.

So chud, sherm, pettine.....all household names right?

1 hour ago, Mark O said:

Hue Jackson....top hot coordinator in 2016 right??   

If we'd have stuck with Chud / Turner I think we'd have won a playoff game already. I don't think you will see the major coaching changes most think there will be. You will see significant change in the FO and the addition of an assistant HC. 

48 minutes ago, Richiswhere said:

Hell I would put Hue below Chris Palmer who won more with no talent at all 

Isn't it amazing that an expansion team of draft picks and plan B special teamers was better than what the Harvard Think Tank could produce?

4 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Born in Toledo I believe. 

But, I also understand that if he in fact makes himself available, the Colts may be hot after him as well.  (he played for them)

Us Toledo peeps aren't hard to find..Jim(Dec.) & Gumby(Apr.). Were both born at Mercy/St Lukes Hospital in Toledo ,Oh. in 1963.. My father coached with Jim & John's father Jack at Perrysburg HS..Watch John Fox at Bears where Jim also played..The DC with Bears is John Fangio..That was Jim's DC when he was at 49'ers.. it could get interesting..but Jim :wub: Michigan..But, If ya make it rain?

23 minutes ago, jcam222 said:

If we'd have stuck with Chud / Turner I think we'd have won a playoff game already. I don't think you will see the major coaching changes most think there will be. You will see significant change in the FO and the addition of an assistant HC. 

Well...I think that something needs to change, either in the front office or on the sidelines.  I'm in favor of replacing the HC myself.  But either way...1-24 requires change somewhere.

21 minutes ago, gumby73 said:

Us Toledo peeps aren't hard to find..Jim(Dec.) & Gumby(Apr.). Were both born at Mercy/St Lukes Hospital in Toledo ,Oh. in 1963.. My father coached with Jim & John's father Jack at Perrysburg HS..Watch John Fox at Bears where Jim also played..The DC with Bears is John Fangio..That was Jim's DC when he was at 49'ers.. it could get interesting..but Jim :wub: Michigan..But, If ya make it rain?

I went to college at Toledo

1 minute ago, Clevfan4life said:

One guy. Who also was not at the top of our list of people they thought would come here. He was the 2nd to last hire. "No one" thought we'd get hue, certainly no one on this board.

Wait 2nd to last?  you said earlier he was the last hire?   Nice how you conveniently forgot that bit of "knowledge" you just pulled out of your ass without doing any research.  Kinda funny how you keep telling all of us to do some research before we post but you've been full of shit all day today. 

How do you know he wasn't at the top of our list?  Were you in the room?  Are you Sushi?   He was at or near the top of everyone's list that offseason.   And yes...no one thought we would because we seemed to fire Pettine and the rest of the coaches too soon without giving them a chance and the "experts" seemed to think that would scare off the hot candidates.  But it turned out that it didn't scare off the hot candidate in 2016 did it?  Hue was one of the top candidates for a HC job that off season and was ranked by more than one "expert" as the best hire of the offseason.   So you can't say that "no one" will want this job if we fire an incompetent HC who has won 1 game out of 25.  You don't know that since you can't predict the future.  You don't know what will happen with the other coaches and just because the other coaches might leave as well, it doesn't mean that we are completely changing all the schemes as well.  The defense that is near the bottom in points allowed could probably use a scheme adjustment or two I'd say.   The fact is the HC is not good at his job and hasn't been good at his job for quite some time and that shouldn't be rewarded with getting to keep that job for another season.

2 hours ago, jcam222 said:

Competitive guys with huge egos want to show they are IT. Imagine if you are THE coach who turns it around for the Browns. You are a legend who can write your own ticket. Add in a text n of young talent and draft picks, why wouldn't you is a better question. 

In golly Gee he will then have the opportunity to coach peppers once againIn golly Gee he will then have the opportunity to coach peppers once again

7 hours ago, The Gipper said:

It is not beyond the realm of possibility that Jim Harbaugh could be the next HC of the Cleveland Browns:

http://www.diehardsport.com/college-football/jim-harbaugh-nfl-rumors-swirling/

They'll have to pay him Belichick money Gip. College coaches get paid way better than NFL coaches. No one knows what Bill actually makes, but Sean Payton was getting $8 million. Nick Saban makes $11.5 at Alabama. Plus top college guys have damn near lifetime job security. 

6 hours ago, PoeticG said:

Gruden, Harbaugh or Tressel would all be welcomed over Hue. 

I'm so over Hue Jackson and the way he coaches. Mangini was 10x better than Jackson.

Gruden isn't coming. Tressel isn't coming. I doubt Harbaugh is. 

13 hours ago, Mark O said:

Gruden did say you never know in an interview just last week on Rich Eisen's show.  But then followed that up with I'm really happy doing what I'm doing right now.   I don't think he's a good choice.   I say no to any retread coach.  We've been through this before but look up how many coaches have won a Super Bowl or NFL title with two different teams.  The list isn't very long.

Translated I really like what I'm doing right now so you are on notice that's going to cost a boatload of money. ;) 

Still I think a guy in his position is going to respond negatively when Sashi Brown hands him a ton of chickenshit with which to make chicken salad.

WSS

38 minutes ago, Westside Steve said:

Still I think a guy in his position is going to respond negatively when Sashi Brown hands him a ton of chickenshit with which to make chicken salad.

ANY perspective coach would tell Jimmuh, "I'm not coming here with that Harvard Think Tank you've got in place".

I'm to the point where I want to see what our entire staff does with three entire years, at least on the football side (coaches and coordinators).  The one exception that I've been saying, and many others, is that I'd DEFINITELY want to hire an OC.  No doubt about it...I want an OC to manage the clock, call plays, and someone who can spend time with Hue devising ways to score in the red zone.  I don't want to go into another season without an OC...that's for sure.

The only change on the personnel side I want to see is someone other than Sashi making the final decisions on roster moves.  I've basically had enough of his smug, incompetent, Harvard azz.  I DON'T want to start over with offensive schemes, defensive schemes, trying to find the right personnel for each side of the ball...we've been through that crap TOO MUCH, and I don't want to see it again (at this point).  

All I know is we have too many VERY high picks to trust Sashi with, and we have to nail these so badly.  We need a QB (more than likely) and we know what Sashi's track record is.  

8 hours ago, hoorta said:

They'll have to pay him Belichick money Gip. College coaches get paid way better than NFL coaches. No one knows what Bill actually makes, but Sean Payton was getting $8 million. Nick Saban makes $11.5 at Alabama. Plus top college guys have damn near lifetime job security. 

Gruden isn't coming. Tressel isn't coming. I doubt Harbaugh is. 

What do we care about what money the coaches are paid?   Jimmah is getting a pile of cash from Warren Buffett.

We can debate whether or not: a. he would come if offered the job or b.  would we want him to come.    But one thing we sure don't give a Sheet about is what he gets paid.

The better question is still.....Is Peyton coming?    (but it sure would be more interesting....musically, if we thought that Eli was coming with him...wouldn't it?  

Here is the original version:

22 minutes ago, hx214 said:

Is Mikey P still under contract? 

Give him Kizer instead of Billy Manziel = Championship.

You mean Pettine?   Interesting question.  Are the Browns still paying him?   Better question:  has he had a job in the NFL since being let go?  Or is he just living off of Jimmy's dime?

Archived