THE BROWNS BOARD

Rumors. Harbaugh, others to Browns??

The Gipper

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The 2017 college football season is fast approaching its close, and naturally that means coaching rumors are starting to percolate. And of course, we will hear plenty of Jim Harbaugh rumors.

Jason La Canfora has the latest report from sources regarding Harbaugh. We take La Canfora with a grain of salt, but some of what he says does add up. He said sources told him plenty of NFL teams might make a run at Harbaugh this offseason. He reported the Indianapolis Colts made a pitch to him a year ago, and expects more teams to do that this year.

The most interesting part was his mention of rumored trade compensation back in 2014 when the49ers and Browns reportedly discussed a deal. That October, Pro Football Talk reported the 49ers and Browns had discussed a deal involving two third round picks. They reported Harbaugh was not interested because he wanted to remain in the Bay Area. La Canfora reported the deal was done, but Harbaugh nixed it because he thought better options would present themselves once he coached out his contract.

Harbaugh and the 49ers “mutually agreed to part ways” that fall, and Harbaugh returned to his alma mater. In his 2+ seasons there, he has records of 10-3, 10-3, and currently 8-2. Michigan is tied for second in the Big Ten East, and they have a shot at winning their division. They will need to beat Ohio State and it looks like get some help with Penn State and Michigan State.

Michigan has yet to finish better than third in the Big Ten East under Harbaugh. It’s a big step forward compared to the last three seasons of the Brady Hoke era, but some have described it as under-performing given Harbaugh’s high profile nature.

I think at some point Harbaugh ends up back in the NFL, and there could be some intriguing opportunities this offseason. The Cleveland Browns could fire Hue Jackson, and while they remain a dumpster fire, they also could have a pair of top ten picks, including the No. 1 overall pick. TheNew York Giants could end up with a high draft pick and a need for a head coach. What about the Oakland Raiders? They’re 4-5, and most would say they’re under-performing. I don’t think they’ll fire Jack Del Rio yet, but if Jim Harbaugh made it known he would like to come back to the Bay Area (until they move to Las Vegas), maybe that happens.

When, if at all, do you see Jim Harbaugh coaching again in the NFL? He is signed to a contract through 2021.

Poll

11 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Or Gruden?   You never know:

https://247sports.com/college/tennessee/Article/ESPN-analyst-Jon-Gruden-on-returning-to-coaching-You-never-know-110265673

This says he may be a candidate for the newly opened Univ. of Tennessee job.

But he is a Sandusky native?   Come home?

Gruden did say you never know in an interview just last week on Rich Eisen's show.  But then followed that up with I'm really happy doing what I'm doing right now.   I don't think he's a good choice.   I say no to any retread coach.  We've been through this before but look up how many coaches have won a Super Bowl or NFL title with two different teams.  The list isn't very long.

While I don't like to entertain rumors - from the moment he was announced at *ichigan, Harbaugh's time there has been finite. The experience with San Fran has left a bad taste and I'm sure he'll claw to get back into the league.   He's a whiny bitch at times, but the man can flat out coach. 

15 minutes ago, Tim Couch Pulls Out said:

He’s from the state of Ohio so he’s clearly the greatest thing to ever walk on two legs 

/sarcasm

Born in Toledo I believe. 

And his brother went to the Cradle of Coaches:   Miami, Oh.

But, I also understand that if he in fact makes himself available, the Colts may be hot after him as well.  (he played for them)

Gruden, Harbaugh or Tressel would all be welcomed over Hue. 

I'm so over Hue Jackson and the way he coaches. Mangini was 10x better than Jackson.

13 minutes ago, PoeticG said:

Gruden, Harbaugh or Tressel would all be welcomed over Hue. 

I'm so over Hue Jackson and the way he coaches. Mangini was 10x better than Jackson.

I heard all three are looking for houses in Strogsville.

13 minutes ago, PoeticG said:

The Browns have some legit talent. Young talent and a lot of draft picks. If Hue was any good at being a OC and a HC at the same time we would be .500 at least right now. 

It's Hue's scheme and his game management, hell his clock management is atrocious. 

Hue is holding this team back. One for his judgement of QBs. His fondness of Kizer and Kessler and his too complex for his own good play calling. Many times he just outsmarts himself. 

The lions didn't get cute, they just punched us in the mouth when they needed too. That's something that Hue will never get out of his guys. They won't give it all for Hue, or for Kizer because they are not leaders. As much as Kizer rah-rahs out there, it's contrived, it's pandering so he can be the face of a franchise, he's a movie star acting like a QB... give me a Quarterback.

why do you guys allow this to be done to you every year? why do you let the sports media world pull on ur Socks every 1-2 years? All these "writers" are just looking for web clicks. There's zero validity to any of this. Harbaugh is in the middle of his college season. I mean this is all pure bullsht but you guys do this with regularity. It's embarrassing. But mainly it's disheartening. Even more so than losing. I have an offseason to look forward to of watching one coach after another fly in and fly out and eventually we land on someone people barely heard of but rest assured he's a "hot commodity" and a real "up and comer" blah blah blah. Next year will be the same and you all will be calling for the next guys job.

I promise by this time next year Ghoolie will create a post about how he knew this new coach was a bum 1 week before he was officially hired and how Hue deserved another year blah blah blah.

1 minute ago, Clevfan4life said:

I have an offseason to look forward to of watching one coach after another fly in and fly out and eventually we land on someone people barely heard of but rest assured he's a "hot commodity" and a real "up and comer" blah blah blah.

Once again..do some research before posting.  Hue Jackson was the hot commodity when the Browns hired him, in the middle of January, not right before training camp as you tried to claim in the other thread.    Turns out he's a lousy coach.  No sense sticking with the mistake longer than we need to.  Hue should be gone at the end of the season. 

2 minutes ago, Mark O said:

Once again..do some research before posting.  Hue Jackson was the hot commodity when the Browns hired him, in the middle of January, not right before training camp as you tried to claim in the other thread.    Turns out he's a lousy coach.  No sense sticking with the mistake longer than we need to.  Hue should be gone at the end of the season. 

Hue was the last guy we talked to. Was he highly thought of? yes, but he may have dragged his feet interviewing with other teams so they moved on. By the time we signed Hue EVERY OTHER TEAM had their coaching staff in place. There was no other place for Hue to go.

7 minutes ago, Clevfan4life said:

Hue was the last guy we talked to. Was he highly thought of? yes, but he may have dragged his feet interviewing with other teams so they moved on. By the time we signed Hue EVERY OTHER TEAM had their coaching staff in place. There was no other place for Hue to go.

I could have swore that he cancelled a second interview with the Giants to take the Browns job?

1 minute ago, Clevfan4life said:

Wrong again Mr. Knowitall...

Jackson was hired before Chip Kelly in San Francisco and was considered to be the #1 coaching hire of the offseason.  Jackson hired on January 13th, 2016.   Kelly hired January 14th 2016.  There were probably others hired after this date as well but I don't feel like doing all that research just to prove you wrong.  You've already said that he was hired right before training camp which I've shown to be bullshit on more than one occasion.  Maybe you don't know as much about football as you try to claim you do.  Maybe do a little research before posting and running your mouth ok?

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000625380/article/ranking-each-nfl-offseason-coaching-hire

https://www.si.com/nfl/2016/01/13/hue-jackson-cleveland-browns-head-coach-nfl-rumors

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000622478/article/san-francisco-49ers-hire-chip-kelly-as-head-coach

Just now, Dutch Oven said:

I could have swore that he cancelled a second interview with the Giants to take the Browns job?

He was early in the process with the Giants when he took the Browns job.   Don't worry Clev is just making shit up to try and sound smart. 

There literally could not be a worse head coach for a team as unbelievably young as the Browns as Jon Gruden. He ran veteran teams with the Raiders and the Bucs - on purpose.

So is Jim Harbaugh already burning bridges at That School Up North? That's his M.O. It was the worst kept secret that there were people at Stanford who were damn near doing cartwheels when he left for the 49ers, he was that disliked.

Hargaugh is not coming to the 'dumpster fire'.  He will pick any other team but ours.

I honestly don't think that anyone has any faith in our ownership.

The Ghoul will tell you that there's only 32 jobs and guys will JUMP to be our coach.  But what we've actually seen is guys jumping out of the way.  And I DO NOT believe that it's because of the fans, the players or the cold of winter.  (it's cold here in New England, New York, Green Bay, etc., etc.)

4 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

So is Jim Harbaugh already burning bridges at That School Up North? That's his M.O. It was the worst kept secret that there were people at Stanford who were damn near doing cartwheels when he left for the 49ers, he was that disliked.

He's perfect for a 1 year contract. Cause next year when we're right back where we are now, but with a decimated defensive roster because all the 4-3 guys either left or jenny craig'd their way off any NFL rosters........we can blame an easy a sshole like Harbaugh, I mean he came from Michigan after all and nobody gives a damn about the whole of Michigan. Fuk we might have to keep him for a 2nd year just so we can abuse him for being a wolverine. He's perfect for Cleveland.

1 minute ago, stillmotion said:

Mangini was the best coach the Browns have had since 99

He had a good offense built in short order but the defense was pure shiite. Given more time tho yes, i agree mangini would have built a more complete team. There should have been a million man protest outside berea over that firing. In ine year we went from having one of the most feared ground game in football and being mentioned as potential up and coming teams to........well........whatever the shurm era was

5 minutes ago, Clevfan4life said:

He had a good offense built in short order but the defense was pure shiite. Given more time tho yes, i agree mangini would have built a more complete team. There should have been a million man protest outside berea over that firing. In ine year we went from having one of the most feared ground game in football and being mentioned as potential up and coming teams to........well........whatever the shurm era was

Holmgren liked his guy, shurmur, who i didn't like. Mangini had more heart than all of those other coaches combined. I'll never forget when he beat the Patriots how fired up our guys were.

1 minute ago, stillmotion said:

Holmgren liked his guy, shurmur, who i didn't like. Mangini had more heart than all of those other coaches combined. I'll never forget when he beat the Patriots how fired up our guys were.

Yup. Always thoughtbholmgren must have had a back deal with the rooneys to shtcan the browns

2 hours ago, BaconHound said:

Why would any coach worth a damn want to be with the Browns, seriously.  Stop

Competitive guys with huge egos want to show they are IT. Imagine if you are THE coach who turns it around for the Browns. You are a legend who can write your own ticket. Add in a text n of young talent and draft picks, why wouldn't you is a better question. 

Archived