THE BROWNS BOARD

Bernie Kosar, new book

flyingfooldoug

14 hours ago, flyingfooldoug said:

He is going to be at Barnes and Noble in Boardman for a book signing on Sunday the 12th, from 2-4. He has been on local news a few times lately. He looks and sounds good. I know I would be fine with him helping the Browns FO pick talent. 

His schidt knows more about football than the entire FO ever will.

On 11/11/2017 at 7:01 AM, flyingfooldoug said:

He is going to be at Barnes and Noble in Boardman for a book signing on Sunday the 12th, from 2-4. He has been on local news a few times lately. He looks and sounds good. I know I would be fine with him helping the Browns FO pick talent. 

He also did a local TV interview but I haven't seen it yet.

Always liked Bernie he gave his all including his health to the BROWNS and the fans.......oh BTW I worked at USSTEEL in Youngstown  with his one uncle, never knew him well.

The only reason his drinking was an issue was because I was pissing people off about it. Drunk Kosar is 1000% better than the entire lot of jackoffs who work for the Browns. Kosar gave his health, his body, because he loved the Browns. His Sheet has more value than Haslam and company. 

I always quote my Father in saying, "dumb kids don't like to play wth smart kids". THAT is why Bernie Kosar doesn't have a major NFL related job. Fukctards don't want to be shown up for the idiots that they are.

22 minutes ago, Ghoolie said:

The only reason his drinking was an issue was because I was pissing people off about it. Drunk Kosar is 1000% better than the entire lot of jackoffs who work for the Browns. Kosar gave his health, his body, because he loved the Browns. His Sheet has more value than Haslam and company. 

I always quote my Father in saying, "dumb kids don't like to play wth smart kids". THAT is why Bernie Kosar doesn't have a major NFL related job. Fukctards don't want to be shown up for the idiots that they are.

Bernie had a quick release and played smart. Probably his biggest assets as a QB. Seemed to work out pretty good too.

I remember a lot of Bernie's physical and other problems from an extensive interview years ago with Dan LeBatard from the Miami Herald it was quite graphic about Bernie's physical and mental challenges during and after after the NFL.

This is also an excerpt from his current book, you really don't know Bernie unless you have read some of this.......

CLEVELAND, Ohio - Legendary Browns quarterback Bernie Kosar is releasing a new book on Sunday, Sept. 10, entitled "Learning to Scramble," which he wrote with Craig Stout.

The publisher, Cleveland Landmarks Press, has provided excerpts to cleveland.com, and those excerpts are appearing Monday, today and Wednesday.

Book preorders at $19.95 apiece are available at clevelandlandmarkspress.com.

Monday's excerpt: 'Scrambling is the Opposite of Running Away'

Today's excerpt: Duty

How about this for a disabled list?  Let's start from the top down.

• Head: 15 concussions (officially), but more like 50
  • Jaw and nose: over a half a dozen breaks
  • Teeth knocked out: lost count
  • Shoulders: orthoscopic surgeries on both
  • Ribs: a dozen broken
  • Elbows: multiple surgeries on both
  • Hip: bone removal for ankle surgery
  • Left hand: gun shot (college)
  • Fingers: all 10 broken multiple times
  • Knees: both ACL's torn (anterior cruciate ligament)
  • Ankles: both broken, multiple surgeries with pins and screws
  • Toes: all 10 broken, multiple times
  • Total surgeries: around 20
  • Total broken bones: 50+ (not counting fingers and toes)

I think I've covered most of them.  I do not rattle off this list to show you what a tough guy I am, nor to get your sympathy, nor to prove my commitment to winning football games. 

No, I rattle off this list to persuade you that I am something of an expert when it comes to pain.

Yet for all the physical pain I suffered in the game, none of it compares to the psychic pain I endured from my family and supposed friends.  In fact it's more painful to talk about the mental scarring than the physical wounds. But I have to relate at least a glimpse of my family issues in order for you to have a better understanding of my financial problems.  

My relationships with family members partly explain some of the more bizarre things that happened to me throughout my lifetime. But they also illustrate a couple of other hard-learned lessons about growing up and about duty.......

Oh from amazon prime.....

by Bernie Kosar and Craig Stout
$15.58$ 15 58 $19.95Prime
Get it by Tomorrow, Nov 14
FREE Shipping on eligible orders

Editorial Reviews

Review

I have always known Bernie to be a tough competitor and a brilliant student of the game, devoted to constantly trying to get better. In this candid book, his true passion and vast knowledge about the sport shine through. --Bill Belichick, New England Patriots head coach and seven-time Super Bowl champion, including five as head coach

Bernie's story is one of adversity and strength, which is something I can certainly relate to. He handles everything that life throws at him with dignity and respect and I am proud to call him a friend. --Jim Kelly, Pro Football Hall of Famer

When I met Bernie, as a nine-year veteran I thought I had seen it all, but Bernie, a first-round savior coming home, a conquering hero with a Miami cool aura and a national championship notch on his belt, was one of the most unique athletes and personalities to ever play in the NFL. He was the best teammate, the toughest, smartest, most loyal and dedicated teammate who taught himself to excel as an NFL quarterback, with samurai gifts of anticipation and instincts that had to be seen up close to truly appreciate. Believe me, the Marinos, Elways, or Kellys may have played a "prettier" QB, but if I were picking sides for battle, I'd take Bernie. His life off the field was complicated, but anyone who knew Bernie as a friend understood that if you needed him for anything, like he played, he'd give you everything he had. --Gary Danielson, former NFL quarterback and current CBS sports analyst

28 minutes ago, flyingfooldoug said:

I think I'll have to read that one. I remember him playing hurt a lot. I also know some of the hell he went through and yet always kept his chin up. Local kid does good...plus...local kid leads local pro team. 

BERNIE FOR GM!

Besides being a local kid I followed his career closely from QB at Boardman HS to the U to the BROWNS, Miami and Dallas, he was one smart guy.

In his final college game, the 1985 Fiesta Bowl against UCLA, Kosar completed 31 of 44 passes for 294 yards. He also had two touchdown passes and one interception. Kosar graduated from college with a double major in Finance and economics. He took 18 credit hours during the spring of 1985, and an additional six during the summer in order to graduate early. The BROWNS grabbed him in the supplimental draft and the rest was Cleveland history.

Bernie's college QB guru was Mark Tressman who was moving on to the Minnesota Vikings and they wanted Bernie but that slick (and devious) Art Modell snookered him away to our beloved brownies. 

s-l225.jpg

17 hours ago, stillmotion said:

I'm on board. the guy knows the browns, loves the browns, and has an eye for talent. Add him to the mix with sashi making trades, and get hue a "jim bob cooter" to call the plays.

OK, as much as I also love Bernie......what evidence do you have that he has an "eye for talent".   Just curious.

And I guess the same can be said for Peyton Manning.  Where is the evidence that these guys know how to pick talent?  (not that they could be any worse than what has gone on here....any one of you and I could have picked better).

If Bernie and Peyton were able to pick themselves in their prime...that is one thing.   But what about other talent?

1 hour ago, mjp28 said:

Besides being a local kid I followed his career closely from QB at Boardman HS to the U to the BROWNS, Miami and Dallas, he was one smart guy.

In his final college game, the 1985 Fiesta Bowl against UCLA, Kosar completed 31 of 44 passes for 294 yards. He also had two touchdown passes and one interception. Kosar graduated from college with a double major in Finance and economics. He took 18 credit hours during the spring of 1985, and an additional six during the summer in order to graduate early. The BROWNS grabbed him in the supplimental draft and the rest was Cleveland history.

Bernie's college QB guru was Mark Tressman who was moving on to the Minnesota Vikings and they wanted Bernie but that slick (and devious) Art Modell snookered him away to our beloved brownies. 

s-l225.jpg

If you made a list of the Ten Greatest College football games ever played.....BK would likely appear in at least 2 of them:

1.  The Orange Bowl vs. Nebraska for the National Championship

2. The "Hail Flutie" game.   Bernie's heroics in that game of course became overshadowed by what occurred on that final play.

13 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

OK, as much as I also love Bernie......what evidence do you have that he has an "eye for talent".   Just curious.

And I guess the same can be said for Peyton Manning.  Where is the evidence that these guys know how to pick talent?  (not that they could be any worse than what has gone on here....any one of you and I could have picked better).

If Bernie and Peyton were able to pick themselves in their prime...that is one thing.   But what about other talent?

That is a good point many good or great players do not make good or great coaches or FO people, maybe just their individual traits or whatever. Now some ex jocks might be good at recognizing talent I think Bernie would be an upgrade over what we've seen since 1999......only an opportunity and time will tell.

Oddly many people like Howard Cossel's book title "I never played the game" are just that good announcers, coaches even FO people.  

21 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

2. The "Hail Flutie" game.   Bernie's heroics in that game of course became overshadowed by what occurred on that final play.

Yep, Jackie Sherrill's first ever game as HC for A&M in 1982 was against some damn eastern school that trotted out this little shrimpy looking true freshman QB that no one knew anything about. We had the great DL Ray Childress , later known as one of the best to play for the Oilers, as the guy who was going to tear this little upstart from limb to limb @ Kyle Field. It was a new era for a great coach on National TV and it started off with a whimper with that little bastard riddling us for a 38-16 win. That is the first day anyone nationally had ever heard the name Doug Flutie. It was like trying to catch Houdini with an accurate arm from any angle and any speed. That's why Flutie liked JFF so much. It was like watching himself some 30 years before.

Flutie to Phalan won Doug the Heisman right there......I know exactly where I was standing when that happened. (at my uncle's bar). Bernie was a good candidate but it was Flutie's right there. Doug was a class act after the game and was looking for Bernie who had left straight for the locker room, heartbreaking loss on basically a lucky toss and catch....oh well it happens. 

"The million dollar moment" when you win the Heisman, what they used to call it.....probably much more now.

This article....just published this July,  gives the 25 greatest college games of all time:

http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/244707972/best-100-college-football-games-ever-part-4

It puts the Miami/Nebraska Orange Bowl which Bernie played at #2 all time....behind only the USC/Texas title game won by Vince Young

The Hail Flutie game was ranked #12.    I would have put it higher.

#3 was just last years Clemson/Alabama title game.

Also......list of 400 yard games passing in NFL postseason play:

1 Bernie Kosar 489 CLE Cleveland Browns vs. New York Jets, January 3, 1987
2 Tom Brady 466 NWE New England Patriots vs. Atlanta Falcons, February 5, 2017
  Drew Brees 466 NOR New Orleans Saints vs. Detroit Lions, January 7, 2012
4 Drew Brees 462 NOR New Orleans Saints vs. San Francisco 49ers, January 14, 2012
5 Peyton Manning 458 IND Indianapolis Colts vs. Denver Broncos, January 9, 2005
6 Andrew Luck 443 IND Indianapolis Colts vs. Kansas City Chiefs, January 4, 2014
7 Dan Fouts+ 433 SDG San Diego Chargers vs. Miami Dolphins, January 2, 1982
8 Kelly Holcomb 429 CLE Cleveland Browns vs. Pittsburgh Steelers, January 5, 2003
9 Aaron Rodgers 423 GNB Green Bay Packers vs. Arizona Cardinals, January 10, 2010
  Jeff George 423 MIN Minnesota Vikings vs. St. Louis Rams, January 16, 2000
11 Dan Marino+ 422 MIA Miami Dolphins vs. Buffalo Bills, December 30, 1995
12 Dan Marino+ 421 MIA Miami Dolphins vs. Pittsburgh Steelers, January 6, 1985
13 Kurt Warner+ 414 STL St. Louis Rams vs. Tennessee Titans, January 30, 2000
14 Randall Cunningham 407 PHI Philadelphia Eagles vs. Chicago Bears, December 31, 1988
15 Jim Kelly+ 405 BUF Buffalo Bills vs. Cleveland Browns, January 6, 1990
16 Drew Brees 404 NOR New Orleans Saints vs. Seattle Seahawks, January 8, 2011
17 Don Strock 403 MIA Miami Dolphins vs. San Diego Chargers, January 2, 1982
18 Peyton Manning 402 IND Indianapolis Colts vs. San Diego Chargers, January 13, 2008
19 Daryle Lamonica 401 OAK Oakland Raiders vs. New York Jets, December 29, 1968
20 Peyton Manning 400 DEN Denver Broncos vs. New England Patriots, January 19, 2

Got my Kosar book, not large at all will be good for some light reading one day. Nice inside covers front and back of Bernie's hand written game notes, quite an insight on what goes into a top NFL quarterback  on planning for an NFL game.....nice!

Archived