THE BROWNS BOARD

Keep it up, brownies

Nero

On 11/7/2017 at 11:40 AM, Nero said:

I've been to al those cities but Toledo. They're really beautiful. And it's funny with languages how some of it stucks in the back of your mind no matter how long you haven't practised it.

Yes, I studied Spanish many years ago in school but had no chance to use it and I forgot most of it.  But a few things remain, such as asking "Donde esta el bano?" as well as rough/bad translations I made of songs for practice, such as "Billy Jean no es mi amante, es una chica que dice 'Soy el uno', pero el nino no es mi hijo."

Anyway, welcome    o/

"Donde esta el bano?" 

Well that's what it is in Venezuela (with the nyay), but in Spain I found it was area de aseo. Or something similar.

And a room in the hotel was not el cuarto, but la habitacion (accent on the o).

5 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

"Donde esta el bano?" 

Well that's what it is in Venezuela (with the nyay), but in Spain I found it was area de aseo. Or something similar.

I would imagine that the Spanish spoken in South America would be different than the Spanish spoken in Mexico, which would be different than the Spanish in Puerto Rico, which would be different than what is actually spoken in Spain, yes?

I've always heard that, for example, a Northern Italian and a Southern Italian might struggle understanding each other.

1 hour ago, TexasAg1969 said:

"Donde esta el bano?" 

In Spain it would be: dónde está el baño? Or 'aseo/servicio' in a more formal context. I've never seen 'área de aseo'.

With the hotel room would be 'habitación', indeed. I find it that Spanish has many more words to describe things than other languages, so we can actually understand what you mean by 'cuarto', but it is used in really informal manner "mi cuarto, my bedroom" or to describe small or technical rooms "cuarto de limpieza, cuarto de contadores. Janitor's room, meter boxes' room." Habitación is used for bedrooms and well, in a hotel you have a bed in your room ;)

1 hour ago, Dutch Oven said:

I would imagine that the Spanish spoken in South America would be different than the Spanish spoken in Mexico, which would be different than the Spanish in Puerto Rico, which would be different than what is actually spoken in Spain, yes?

I've always heard that, for example, a Northern Italian and a Southern Italian might struggle understanding each other.

Well, you're right, it is very different. I would say it has more to do with the accent and vocabulary. 

For example, structure is still the same in different places, but you may have to 'make you ear' to the different accent and adapt your vocabulary.

A typical funny one is in Spain 'coger' means 'pick up (sth)' whereas in South America it is almost exclusively means 'to f*ck'.

Anyway, the most difficult ones to understand can be the Hispanic living in the States as their original Spanish deteriorates and gets mixed up with American English, which they use more.

**Heads up** If you don't have the Ñ, a method which is usually used is to substitute it by 'NY'. like 'donde esta el banyo' 'Espanya' The Ñ sound is precisely form from the contraction between the N and the Y (or I, in Spanish they're the same)

And thanks everyone for the warm welcome!

6 hours ago, Nero said:

A typical funny one is in Spain 'coger' means 'pick up (sth)' whereas in South America it is almost exclusively means 'to f*ck'.

Yessir and "coge tu madre" does not mean pick her up either, but you can recoger (pick up).

1 hour ago, tinythinker said:

The Spanish taught in textbooks (used to be) very formal and based on a particular region of Spain. It's like being taught English with a particular British dialect in a formal tone.

Well, I haven't seen those books, but I bet is from Castile. In Spain we often say "castellano" instead of "español". 

Spanish is the mother tongue of many different countries, so there's an Academy trying to keep track with all the slangs and words used everywhere.

Anyway, everytime I find something interesting or different from people from other places (say Venezuela, or even Andalucía) I usually tell the same joke: 'we gave you a language, and see how you're messing it up!'

Welcome to the Board, Nero!

You’re gonna have to wade through some  trash here, but these guys know their god damn football.  I’m more of a two-ears-one-mouth kinda guy... I don’t post often, but I read all the time.  

Browns Board is one of my favourite places on the internet.  I hope you enjoy it like I do.

4 hours ago, tinythinker said:

The Spanish taught in textbooks (used to be) very formal and based on a particular region of Spain. It's like being taught English with a particular British dialect in a formal tone.

Yeah, to those of us that learned Castilian Spanish (in my case a long time ago) some of the Mayan words that crept into Mexican Spanish like "Ixtapa" are tongue twisters. My listening and speaking is pretty well shot, but I can still hack my way through a newspaper.

& Welcome Nero. :)

8 hours ago, Nero said:

I usually tell the same joke: 'we gave you a language, and see how you're messing it up!'

Now that  is my area of expertise.:D

Some tex-mex, some Mexicano, a lot of Venezolano and some second hand Castellano through a kindly housekeeper/cook named Lira. Throw in the American television shows in Caracas dubbed  in Spanish and Viola, TexAg1969 Spanish that's 50+ years out of date.:lol:

I think we'd have an amusing conversation Nero. Folks in Akumal, Mexico in Jan. and Madrid last month seemed to think so.:D

1 hour ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Now that  is my area of expertise.:D

Some tex-mex, some Mexicano, a lot of Venezolano and some second hand Castellano through a kindly housekeeper/cook named Lira. Throw in the American television shows in Caracas dubbed  in Spanish and Viola, TexAg1969 Spanish that's 50+ years out of date.:lol:

I think we'd have an amusing conversation Nero. Folks in Akumal, Mexico in Jan. and Madrid last month seemed to think so.:D

LOL that's for sure hahahahaha.

On 11/8/2017 at 10:06 PM, Dutch Oven said:

Hell, l have a hard time with some English accents. You ever watch an old Beatles movie? Slow it down Ringo!

22 minutes ago, Nero said:

LOL that's for sure hahahahaha.

We took a guided bus tour (in English) to Chichen Itza when staying in Akumal. The guide brought a basket full of fruit and breakfast snacks down the isle for each to chose one. I looked in and grabbed an apple saying with glee, "Ah, una manzana para mi!!" The guide looked up with a shocked look on his face and said, "Senyor, habla usted ingles tambien?" He was apparently afraid I had gotten on the wrong bus for a tour in Spanish rather than this one in English. I took that as a supreme compliment to my lack of an accent on that particular occasion.  LOL!:D

PS-yes I pronounced the z like an s (not Castellano th) and trilled the r properly. My live-in teacher Lira would have been proud of me.:rolleyes:

3 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

We took a guided bus tour (in English) to Chichen Itza when staying in Akumal. The guide brought a basket full of fruit and breakfast snacks down the isle for each to chose one. I looked in and grabbed an apple saying with glee, "Ah, una manzana para mi!!" The guide looked up with a shocked look on his face and said, "Senyor, habla usted ingles tambien?" He was apparently afraid I had gotten on the wrong bus for a tour in Spanish rather than this one in English. I took that as a supreme compliment to my lack of an accent on that particular occasion.  LOL!:D

LOL. I went to live for a summer in London 4 years ago. I got a job as waiter and I remember a group of 5 americans who were really nice. I guessed they were americans because they asked for Pepsi. They asked me where I was from and I told them to guess it. Only one guessed it, so that was a compliment for me beucase that meant that my accent wasn't so obvious!

Just now, Nero said:

LOL. I went to live for a summer in London 4 years ago. I got a job as waiter and I remember a group of 5 americans who were really nice. I guessed they were americans because they asked for Pepsi. They asked me where I was from and I told them to guess it. Only one guessed it, so that was a compliment for me beucase that meant that my accent wasn't so obvious!

For grins you should have told them "Russia"!:D

1 minute ago, TexasAg1969 said:

For grins you should have told them "Russia"!:D

Actually I am very white, and I haven't got black hair and dark eyes, so they could have fallen for that heh.

I believe we have a "Rookie of the Year" candidate.

Welcome... going to enjoy seeing you correct grammar of our native posters.

On 11/7/2017 at 5:39 AM, Nero said:

Hello all,

I'm Nero, a 24 year old Spaniard who's been watching American Football since David Tyree decided to stick the ball to his helmet. I've been following more and more this sport and currently I'm quite hooked to it. I'm still learning, though.

Just my two cents.

What? No euros? ;) See you in The Tavern...

On 11/7/2017 at 10:29 AM, Mark O said:

I'd be fine with winning some games and losing the #1 pick.   I don't think the FO agrees with me though.  

If it means that Kizer's light has gone on, then I'm with you...

Archived