THE BROWNS BOARD

Keep it up, brownies

Nero

Hello all,

I'm Nero, a 24 year old Spaniard who's been watching American Football since David Tyree decided to stick the ball to his helmet. I've been following more and more this sport and currently I'm quite hooked to it. I'm still learning, though. 

So what makes me post on this forum? I was really interested in what was going on in the Browns, as I feel really for the team (my home soccer team is not top notch and I know what are losing streaks like), and I seriously want them to be good, better sooner than later. I had great hopes for this season, too. Also, I've seen how well documented people on this forum are, and how they explain their points, which is a great way for learning more about football, and most important: how diehard fans you are. Even in the loses, there's always some kind of optimism and that's HUGE. 

So I just wanted to cheer you up. I think you are a great fanbase!

Also, about what's happened lately, I agree with a lot of what's been said in the forum about the FO, Hue, playcalling, Kizer and so on. I'm not an expert and my football knowledge is limited, but I have to say that there's something that surprises me the most: How to handle situations with fanbase and the media. 

I'm going to try to explain myself: 0-8, midseason (and 1-23), the only silver linings are Corey and Josh Gordon coming in next weeks. People criticize playcalling and Hue? Let's get an OC to HELP the coaching staff. People criticize FO for missing QBs, talent? Let's ADD someone to the team, a football person or something. If you only get an OC, you're going to point out Hue, who's not gonna like it, but if you add someone in the FO, at least with a limited role, you're saying 'hey, I think you need help with coaching, but we do too at FO'' 

I'm saying this because the current situation is really hard to swallow even for the diehard Hue-Sashi-DePodesta supporters, so if you're going to stick to the plan (which looks like that), why not at least make subtle changes so fanbase and the media see that you REALLY are constantly trying to improve? I don't mean changing everything or getting Peyton Manning as GM, but make something appealing enough so people calm down a bit and don't keep throwing stones at your roof.

Just my two cents. 

Welcome Nero!  (great handle for our board) :)

You make good points....and I hope the Browns turn things around to keep and acquire fans like you!

....and don't listen to Woody, we're great fans because we're here talking...if we weren't great fans then we wouldn't be here.

2 minutes ago, Orion said:

....and don't listen to Woody, we're great fans because we're here talking...if we weren't great fans then we wouldn't be here.

That's exactly what I think! Most of the sport fans I know would have given up a long time ago.

2 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

Nero's grasp of English is infinitely better than half the Mericans on here.

Thanks! It actually took me some time to write it, lol. 

25 minutes ago, Nero said:

I'm saying this because the current situation is really hard to swallow even for the diehard Hue-Sashi-DePodesta supporters, so if you're going to stick to the plan (which looks like that), why not at least make subtle changes so fanbase and the media see that you REALLY are constantly trying to improve? I don't mean changing everything or getting Peyton Manning as GM, but make something appealing enough so people calm down a bit and don't keep throwing stones at your roof.

Welcome to Brownsboard Nero.Yea am really Gumby & I ride a Poking Nag.. Who's coming in here to only get a piece of the Sashi's owned consensus Pie? So far a talent scout of Ryan Grigson..Meanwhile Gettleman & a X'GM that drafts Kareem Hunt sits at home..Jimmy knows nothing about team football building, but his son-in-law maybe building a new house soon.. Meanwhile The firm of De-pud.Brown & Berry will continue to look for the next Russel Wilson trading us to more drafting capitol..Yip, Yip Yippy away..       

2 hours ago, Nero said:

Hello all,

I'm Nero, a 24 year old Spaniard who's been watching American Football since David Tyree decided to stick the ball to his helmet. I've been following more and more this sport and currently I'm quite hooked to it. I'm still learning, though. 

So what makes me post on this forum? I was really interested in what was going on in the Browns, as I feel really for the team (my home soccer team is not top notch and I know what are losing streaks like), and I seriously want them to be good, better sooner than later. I had great hopes for this season, too. Also, I've seen how well documented people on this forum are, and how they explain their points, which is a great way for learning more about football, and most important: how diehard fans you are. Even in the loses, there's always some kind of optimism and that's HUGE. 

Also, about what's happened lately, I agree with a lot of what's been said in the forum about the FO, Hue, playcalling, Kizer and so on. I'm not an expert and my football knowledge is limited, but I have to say that there's something that surprises me the most: How to handle situations with fanbase and the media. 

I'm going to try to explain myself: 0-8, midseason (and 1-23), the only silver linings are Corey and Josh Gordon coming in next weeks. People criticize playcalling and Hue? Let's get an OC to HELP the coaching staff. People criticize FO for missing QBs, talent? Let's ADD someone to the team, a football person or something. If you only get an OC, you're going to point out Hue, who's not gonna like it, but if you add someone in the FO, at least with a limited role, you're saying 'hey, I think you need help with coaching, but we do too at FO'' 

Just my two cents. 

Thanks, Nero, I like your take. We are a year and a half into this and I'm not going to start torching buildings in Berea because we passed on Wentz and Watson. But the fans do need a little somethin' somethin' to build off of.

2 hours ago, MLD Woody said:

We're not that great of a fanbase. Just read around here a little longer 

Well, actually we are a great fanbase. A lot of quitters and doomsayers on this board ... but, Jeezus, look at our record. If any other fanbase had their team moved and quickly replaced with an awful one that just kept getting incredibly more awful, you can bet those fanbases would be much less supportive and more bitter than ours, and would have just as big a problem seeing the forest through the trees. When your hobby and your passion kicks you in the nuts every week, everyone is going to react differently, and some are going to become impatient and flip out on the team. I don't think it makes us who remain faithful to the process better fans.

There are a lot of people that I have watched faithfully support this team for 20 years and they have simply had enough .. and I hope the Brownies can give them something to grasp on to the last eight games. It's very possible. Myles Garrett could become a firestorm. Kizer could start to flourish and win games throwing to Coleman and Gordon and we could actually win some games. And some fucker will cry that we lost the #1 pick. But that is what we need as fans, and as an organization ... wins.

Zombo

13 minutes ago, DieHardBrownsFan said:

Creo que eres alguien que finge ser de España!

Va a ser que no, jajajajajjaa. ¿Qué te hace pensar eso?

Thanks everyone for your welcome!

2 hours ago, Zombo said:

There are a lot of people that I have watched faithfully support this team for 20 years and they have simply had enough .. and I hope the Brownies can give them something to grasp on to the last eight games. It's very possible. Myles Garrett could become a firestorm. Kizer could start to flourish and win games throwing to Coleman and Gordon and we could actually win some games. And some fucker will cry that we lost the #1 pick. But that is what we need as fans, and as an organization ... wins.

Zombo

I'd be fine with winning some games and losing the #1 pick.   I don't think the FO agrees with me though.  

Nero I'm not computer literate enough to convert to the Spanish keyboard containing nyay, accent marks, etc., but I just returned from a Trip to Spain where we stayed at various paradores in Guadalupe, Caceres, Ciudad Rodrigo and Toledo along with 4 more nights in the heart of Madrid near The Prado. My half century old Venezuelan Spanish returned more and more each day as old neurons in this 70 year old brain came back to life after disuse other than a couple of trips to Mexico 20 years apart and one to Barcelona for a few days about 6 years ago. At any rate Bienvenido Amigo!!

3 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Nero I'm not computer literate enough to convert to the Spanish keyboard containing nyay, accent marks, etc., but I just returned from a Trip to Spain where we stayed at various paradores in Guadalupe, Caceres, Ciudad Rodrigo and Toledo along with 4 more nights in the heart of Madrid near The Prado. My half century old Venezuelan Spanish returned more and more each day as old neurons in this 70 year old brain came back to life after disuse other than a couple of trips to Mexico 20 years apart and one to Barcelona for a few days about 6 years ago. At any rate Bienvenido Amigo!!

I've been to al those cities but Toledo. They're really beautiful. And it's funny with languages how some of it stucks in the back of your mind no matter how long you haven't practised it.

4 hours ago, MLD Woody said:

We're not that great of a fanbase. Just read around here a little longer 

Yes, we are.  You have no clue how good the Cleveland fan base can be...or how good it is.  Some other teams would not even exist if they went through the shite that this organization has put us through the last 20 years.  You are part of the lost generations of Browns fans... who have never enjoyed any success.  Too bad, because if you had, you would not have shown such poor insight into what it can be like around here.

1 minute ago, Nero said:

I've been to al those cities but Toledo. They're really beautiful. And it's funny with languages how some of it stucks in the back of your mind no matter how long you haven't practised it.

People were great everywhere. Many would start in English but as soon as I answered in Spanish the conversations stayed there. And if I got a verb tense wrong or a word gender incorrect, they would say it properly and I would repeat it back as corrected. Quite funny sometimes as we would both laugh and continue on. funniest moment was on the Metro in Barcelona on that trip when I had a talk with a beautiful woman in her 20's and apologized for my very old Spanish. After 10 minutes she said, "Pero senor (with the nyay), su Espanol es muy bonito!" And I replied, "Pero no es Espanol (nyay), es Venezolano!" Thought she was going to fall out of her seat with laughter.:lol:

11 minutes ago, Nero said:

Hey...if you think that Toledo is good...you should visit our Toledo....here in Ohio......and see how really vibrant a city can be.

(fyi....if you see pink on here...it is the sign for "sarcasm").

Also fyi...our QB, Deshone Kizer, is from Toledo here.

14 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

(fyi....if you see pink on here...it is the sign for "sarcasm").

LOL, I thought the pink only was used to talk about The Proccess... Hahahahahaha I love that

20 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

People were great everywhere. Many would start in English but as soon as I answered in Spanish the conversations stayed there. And if I got a verb tense wrong or a word gender incorrect, they would say it properly and I would repeat it back as corrected. Quite funny sometimes as we would both laugh and continue on. funniest moment was on the Metro in Barcelona on that trip when I had a talk with a beautiful woman in her 20's and apologized for my very old Spanish. After 10 minutes she said, "Pero senor (with the nyay), su Espanol es muy bonito!" And I replied, "Pero no es Espanol (nyay), es Venezolano!" Thought she was going to fall out of her seat with laughter.:lol:

For someone whose mother tongue is English, any other verb tense 'system' is more difficult, as English has a simple one. And Spanish verb tenses are difficult to learn. Same goes with the gender. I totally understand that girl, lol. For us it's entertaining to hear how americans speak different kinds of Spanish (from Venezuela in your case, but most of the people learn Mexican) because every accent has its music ;) 

1 hour ago, Nero said:

every accent has its music ;) 

Or noise to some ears in my case. Venezuelans leave out a lot of "s"s. So instead of saying "Me voy despues" you might actually hear "Me voy depue" LOL! I'm sure I was quite entertaining though I did learn a lot from a live-in housekeeper/cook in Caracas for a year who had a Castilian accent. She made me pronounce the "s"s, but did not require the lisp. I still try to pronounce them without resorting back to Venezolano "eating" of the "s"s as my now wife was accused of in Spanish classes in college. He correctly identified her American  Spanish as having been learned in Venezuela.:D

5 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Or noise to some ears in my case. Venezuelans leave out a lot of "s"s. So instead of saying "Me voy despues" you might actually hear "Me voy depue" LOL! I'm sure I was quite entertaining though I did learn a lot from a live-in housekeeper/cook in Caracas for a year who had a Castilian accent. She made me pronounce the "s"s, but did not require the lisp. I still try to pronounce them without resorting back to Venezolano "eating" of the "s"s as my now wife was accused of in Spanish classes in college. He correctly identified her American  Spanish as having been learned in Venezuela.:D

Yeah, now that you say that, that happens with my Venezuelan friends too. Anyway in southern Spain is common to miss the S or make them C too. I'm from Pamplona (northern Spain, close to France) and we actually pronounce even more the S, hehehe. 

2 hours ago, Nero said:

LOL, I thought the pink only was used to talk about The Proccess... Hahahahahaha I love that

You Sir, are gonna fit in great around here! 

13 hours ago, Zombo said:

Thanks, Nero, I like your take. We are a year and a half into this and I'm not going to start torching buildings in Berea because we passed on Wentz and Watson. But the fans do need a little somethin' somethin' to build off of.

Well, actually we are a great fanbase. A lot of quitters and doomsayers on this board ... but, Jeezus, look at our record. If any other fanbase had their team moved and quickly replaced with an awful one that just kept getting incredibly more awful, you can bet those fanbases would be much less supportive and more bitter than ours, and would have just as big a problem seeing the forest through the trees. When your hobby and your passion kicks you in the nuts every week, everyone is going to react differently, and some are going to become impatient and flip out on the team. I don't think it makes us who remain faithful to the process better fans.

There are a lot of people that I have watched faithfully support this team for 20 years and they have simply had enough .. and I hope the Brownies can give them something to grasp on to the last eight games. It's very possible. Myles Garrett could become a firestorm. Kizer could start to flourish and win games throwing to Coleman and Gordon and we could actually win some games. And some Shmucker will cry that we lost the #1 pick. But that is what we need as fans, and as an organization ... wins.

Zombo

If Kizer has weapons, he will be a completely different QB. You called him a gamer, and I still have doubts, but I am not going to trash him given the lousy hand he has been dealt. His playing seems to fall off as the game goes on...............coincidentally, so does the play of the entire team. Let's see what he does once he has weapons. Remember, other QBs get TDs on short nothing passes enhanced by yards after catch. Kizer gets none of that. Everything for this damned kid is a tooth pull.

I blasted him, for sure, but i am not so convinced that after a few games with weapons, the Browns may not feel the need to take a QB in round one. We will see what happens when guys actually start catching passes.

16 hours ago, Nero said:

Hello all,

Just my two cents. 

You have never been subject to a Ghoolie Blast, have you? Whattaya think guys............should I let him have it?

5 hours ago, Ghoolie said:

You have never been subject to a Ghoolie Blast, have you? Whattaya think guys............should I let him have it?

Making friends all over the world, huh? LOL, I haven't been here longer than a day and I haven't said anything about Oline, give me a soft start, please haha.

We are a great fan base, and once we're finally competitive it'll be a sight for sore eyes. We'd be a competitive team with average QB play, and we'd be a decent team with above average QB play....especially if Josh and Corey are playing. I mean, it's impossible to say, but if we just had a QB that completed HALF the touchdown passes that Kizer completely missed, and threw HALF the interceptions, how many games do we win? 3? 4? More? 

As we all know, the QB position has tortured us for almost 20 years. We've also been tortured by inept coaching, front office morons, and whatever else you can think of. I keep thinking about cutting Taylor Gabriel and keeping Jordan Payton. We're not talking about keeping a WR that's not performing as good as Gabriel, we're talking about keeping Payton who isn't in the LEAGUE anymore. How do you miss THAT badly? Especially at a position where your team is so thin? 

I will grant you that Kizer was given NO favors when he has to throw to practice squad level receivers, but he still misses them when they ARE open. And watching our short passing game offense is enough to make me sick to my stomach. I understand WHY Hue is doing this, but it's still awful to watch. Our front office is obviously a joke, and just the thought of trading away a 2nd AND a 3rd for McCarron shows the world just how desperate we are, AND that we have NO confidence in Kizer (who does?). If Kizer didn't have a messed up head before, he does now! 

We'll get there one day...it's just not going to be any time soon. Hang in there, Spaniard. 

8 hours ago, Ghoolie said:

One Trump in international relations has done enough damage already thank you.:P

6 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

One Trump in international relations has done enough damage already thank you.:P

LMAO......man, I have a lot of tasteless Spaniard material, too.

17 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

What? You mean you haven't yet gotten over that whole Armada thing?

LOL. Running of the BULLSCHIDT.

Archived