Sign in to follow this  
Orion

Houston - our 2nd first round pick

1 hour ago, Dutch Oven said:

The dude turned 70 in May! :lol:

Yep and still faster than anyone on this board. LOL!:lol:

And I still think it's funny that everyone is looking for that fast as lightning 6'2" CB these days too. He was ahead of his time.

19 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

I have Ridley right up there - but Sutton is also good  - only knock is, he is more of a long strider

that doesn't have the explosiveness to get out of his breaks and get open. I believe that is what happened to him

when he faced the TCU secondary.

You could be right. However, I'm not too concerned about speed and strides. Kelvin Benjamin was one such player I watched for years at FSU and then in pros. As we know, everything is condensed in the red zone, and speed is somewhat neutralized. What isn't easy to counteract is size...it's the reason we see so many jump balls to guys like Jimmy Graham. Njoku was SUPPOSED to be that guy, but he's a rookie and rookie TE's almost never explode out of the gates. We add another big red zone target and give Njoku another year to develop, and we might take some positive steps towards rectifying our woes inside the 20.

On 11/28/2017 at 11:07 PM, Unsympathetic said:

i swear to the gods of several religions that I'm tired of defending the notion on this forum that actual rebuilds take time even if every move is perfect..  the goal is to build an annual repeat contender, not a one-trick one-season lucky pony.

Even Seattle hasn't won since they bet the farm on a one year gamble -- a particular interception wouldn't have occurred if Seattle continued to have the league's most expensive OL, like they did the one year they won the trophy.  And they've made the playoffs thanks to defense. Offense decent, defense great, and this year's D injuries are the end. 

Cleveland is aiming higher than that, and that's a good thing.. it doesn't hurt that Seattle's second-round QB is franchise-worthy.

Rosen at the 1, CB1 or WR1 with the Houston pick and/or the trade-down pick later in the first.

You're not wrong, but I think the issue is that people aren't seeing tangible results in year 2. Nobody truly expected playoffs this year, but I also don't think anyone thought we'd be 0-11 either. Your point about things taking time is why I want to keep our coaching staff, hire an OC, but bring in POSSIBLY a new GM. I don't like Sashi and his vision. I'm not in love with our 2017 draft, although we realize it takes a couple years to accurately assess the picks. 

13 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Well I personally know of one white CB who was a starter for the Superbowl winning Colts AND he was actually 6'2" tall. Tommy Maxwell drafted in the 2nd as a safety and switched to RCB.

Ancient history....I am talking about here and now.  Not a single one in the NFL.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/clt/1970_roster.htm

See above 6'2" CB

9 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Ancient history....I am talking about here and now.  Not a single one in the NFL.

But if you are ancient it's more like contemporary history.;):P

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

But if you are ancient it's more like contemporary history.;):P

In has been like 10 years since a white CB has played.  In terms of football player life cycles...that is a long time.

3 minutes ago, LondonBrown said:

Picks #1 and #7 as it stands I believe? 

I'm guessing there's no way we actually pick a player with both picks...... Sashi will trade out of one - or both. 

4 minutes ago, LondonBrown said:

Picks #1 and #7 as it stands I believe? 

They are tied with the Bucs for #7 so depends on SOS.

Just now, D Bone said:

I'm guessing there's no way we actually pick a player with both picks...... Sashi will trade out of one - or both. 

I bet he'll pick a QB with the #1 and trade down with the Houston pick, because there are going to be many teams interested in being in the top 10 I believe (being a draft with many QBs). 

1 minute ago, TexasAg1969 said:

They are tied with the Bucs for #7 so depends on SOS.

Thanks, they’ve got the Niners next week and I think they’ll lose. Could get better. 

5 minutes ago, LondonBrown said:

Thanks, they’ve got the Niners next week and I think they’ll lose. Could get better. 

Bucs play Detroit and I saw that Stafford had a hurt throwing hand today.

https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2017/12/3/16730898/matthew-stafford-leaves-game-vs-ravens-apparent-hand-injury

#7 I believe.

Houston still plays the 9'ers and Colts though.

2 hours ago, Nero said:

I bet he'll pick a QB with the #1 and trade down with the Houston pick, because there are going to be many teams interested in being in the top 10 I believe (being a draft with many QBs). 

You might be right.

But holy hell, this team does not need more draft picks. They will most likely have four picks in the top 40 or so picks. If anything they should trade UP and go strictly for QUALITY, not quantity in this draft.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

You might be right.

But holy hell, this team does not need more draft picks. They will most likely have four picks in the top 40 or so picks. If anything they should trade UP and go strictly for QUALITY, not quantity in this draft.

You may hate me for what I'm about to say, but I would trade down if we went from #7 to #12, for example, in exchange for some picks in this very draft and the next. 

It would most likely be because our trade partner and another team between #7 and #12 want a QB, so probably between the pick we had and the one we changed our position with, we will really miss 3 spots because we already have our QB. Then we take BPA (#12 is still a good position) and maybe by the end of the Day 1 we have more picks for Day 2 and 3, and next draft. 

And it would give us a bigger chance to trade up maybe into 1st round with any or your early 2nd round picks, like we did last year, so we would have 3 first round picks. 

It would be different if we had to trade down many spots, like this year when we went to #25, if I recall correctly.

1 hour ago, Nero said:

You may hate me for what I'm about to say, but I would trade down if we went from #7 to #12, for example, in exchange for some picks in this very draft and the next. 

It would most likely be because our trade partner and another team between #7 and #12 want a QB, so probably between the pick we had and the one we changed our position with, we will really miss 3 spots because we already have our QB. Then we take BPA (#12 is still a good position) and maybe by the end of the Day 1 we have more picks for Day 2 and 3, and next draft. 

And it would give us a bigger chance to trade up maybe into 1st round with any or your early 2nd round picks, like we did last year, so we would have 3 first round picks. 

It would be different if we had to trade down many spots, like this year when we went to #25, if I recall correctly.

Under normal circumstances I might agree. But two factors enter in here. #1 is we need some really high quality players for a fan base that is desperate to see some wins immediately and #2 this FO has made some horrid picks in trade downs. I don't trust them. Time to take BPA and maybe even trade away lower rounds to move up more. We need about 5 real high quality players to drop into this team to become an 8-8 team (after we ditch Hue-he sucks that bad).

7 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Under normal circumstances I might agree. But two factors enter in here. #1 is we need some really high quality players for a fan base that is desperate to see some wins immediately and #2 this FO has made some horrid picks in trade downs. I don't trust them. Time to take BPA and maybe even trade away lower rounds to move up more. We need about 5 real high quality players to drop into this team to become an 8-8 team (after we ditch Hue-he sucks that bad).

I guess it all depends right now.  Depends on who is available, what we decide to do with the first pick, and what position is our biggest need.  I tend to agree with you in that I don't want to see a trade down of any level in the first round, but I also don't want to be blind from a killer deal.  We get our QB at #1, and then if the guy we peg as our next pick will be there 4-6 slots down the round, it might be a worthwhile move to make.  

The Texans' pick will most certainly be a valuable one, and we surely benefited from a horrible injury suffered by Deshaun Watson, but the absolute earliest it can be is probably 7th.  If they somehow lose out the next 4 games (something I seriously doubt btw), then it can possibly go as high as 5 or 6...but that's stretching it.  The Texans play the 49's next (boooo), then the Steelers (yay), the Jags (yay), and then the Colts (boooo).  Realistically, I think the Texans can go 2-2 in that stretch, but now that the 49's have Garoppolo, that game might be tough for them.  Heck, if the 49's could just execute in the red zone, their game against the Bears would not have been CLOSE.  Red zone woes...hmmmm...sound familiar?  Anyways, their pick will be in the 7-9 range, and that's still a heck of a resource!

The bad news?  Well, this draft is about as weak as I've ever seen for "top of the line" talent.  Maybe that's just me.  Hopefully I'm wrong (per the norm).  

2 hours ago, jiggins7919 said:

I guess it all depends right now.  Depends on who is available,

WHAT A CONCEPT!

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Nero said:

I'll bet that Sashi won't be picking anything....except maybe picking up his unemployment check.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Gipper said:

I'll bet that Sashi won't be picking anything...

No you won't.... I know... I've offered. ;)

3 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

No you won't.... I know... I've offered. ;)

I don't recall that.   OK:   Hot Fudge Sundae.....Sachi is either canned or demoted and will not be in charge of the next draft.-_-

Trade to 49ers. For the number 2 #1s and a 2nd... or were gonna take Barkley. 

Then Trade to #3 or were gonna take Darnold/Rosen - whoever's hotter.

Trade to #4 or we're taking the other one.

Trade to #5 or we're takin the best LT.

LOL 

This is now pick #6 

Not impossible the Browns get the first two picks in the draft, Houston are in Jacksonville next week 

4 minutes ago, LondonBrown said:

This is now pick #6 

Not impossible the Browns get the first two picks in the draft, Houston are in Jacksonville next week 

Man, I have to wonder what the 'record' is for the 2 highest picks for one team?