THE BROWNS BOARD

Houston - our 2nd first round pick

Orion

1 hour ago, Nero said:

You may hate me for what I'm about to say, but I would trade down if we went from #7 to #12, for example, in exchange for some picks in this very draft and the next. 

It would most likely be because our trade partner and another team between #7 and #12 want a QB, so probably between the pick we had and the one we changed our position with, we will really miss 3 spots because we already have our QB. Then we take BPA (#12 is still a good position) and maybe by the end of the Day 1 we have more picks for Day 2 and 3, and next draft. 

And it would give us a bigger chance to trade up maybe into 1st round with any or your early 2nd round picks, like we did last year, so we would have 3 first round picks. 

It would be different if we had to trade down many spots, like this year when we went to #25, if I recall correctly.

Under normal circumstances I might agree. But two factors enter in here. #1 is we need some really high quality players for a fan base that is desperate to see some wins immediately and #2 this FO has made some horrid picks in trade downs. I don't trust them. Time to take BPA and maybe even trade away lower rounds to move up more. We need about 5 real high quality players to drop into this team to become an 8-8 team (after we ditch Hue-he sucks that bad).

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Under normal circumstances I might agree. But two factors enter in here. #1 is we need some really high quality players for a fan base that is desperate to see some wins immediately and #2 this FO has made some horrid picks in trade downs. I don't trust them. Time to take BPA and maybe even trade away lower rounds to move up more. We need about 5 real high quality players to drop into this team to become an 8-8 team (after we ditch Hue-he sucks that bad).

I guess it all depends right now.  Depends on who is available, what we decide to do with the first pick, and what position is our biggest need.  I tend to agree with you in that I don't want to see a trade down of any level in the first round, but I also don't want to be blind from a killer deal.  We get our QB at #1, and then if the guy we peg as our next pick will be there 4-6 slots down the round, it might be a worthwhile move to make.  

The Texans' pick will most certainly be a valuable one, and we surely benefited from a horrible injury suffered by Deshaun Watson, but the absolute earliest it can be is probably 7th.  If they somehow lose out the next 4 games (something I seriously doubt btw), then it can possibly go as high as 5 or 6...but that's stretching it.  The Texans play the 49's next (boooo), then the Steelers (yay), the Jags (yay), and then the Colts (boooo).  Realistically, I think the Texans can go 2-2 in that stretch, but now that the 49's have Garoppolo, that game might be tough for them.  Heck, if the 49's could just execute in the red zone, their game against the Bears would not have been CLOSE.  Red zone woes...hmmmm...sound familiar?  Anyways, their pick will be in the 7-9 range, and that's still a heck of a resource!

The bad news?  Well, this draft is about as weak as I've ever seen for "top of the line" talent.  Maybe that's just me.  Hopefully I'm wrong (per the norm).  

16 hours ago, Nero said:

I bet he'll pick a QB with the #1 and trade down with the Houston pick, because there are going to be many teams interested in being in the top 10 I believe (being a draft with many QBs). 

I'll bet that Sashi won't be picking anything....except maybe picking up his unemployment check.

Trade to 49ers. For the number 2 #1s and a 2nd... or were gonna take Barkley. 

Then Trade to #3 or were gonna take Darnold/Rosen - whoever's hotter.

Trade to #4 or we're taking the other one.

Trade to #5 or we're takin the best LT.

LOL 

4 minutes ago, LondonBrown said:

This is now pick #6 

Not impossible the Browns get the first two picks in the draft, Houston are in Jacksonville next week 

Man, I have to wonder what the 'record' is for the 2 highest picks for one team? 

1 minute ago, D Bone said:

Wow.... crazy. I need to look up who they picked.....

"The season is notable for the Redskins drafting future Pro Bowlers Lavar Arrington and Chris Samuels with the second and third overall picks respectively in the first round of the 2000 NFL Draft."

So there's hope after all..............

9 minutes ago, MLD Woody said:

Fair enough

Hooker coming off of IR in his 2nd year 

Or

Peppers in his 2nd year (at SS) and rookie Fitzpatrick/James,

You mean the Colts don't have a pick in next year's first round? 

2 minutes ago, Nero said:

You mean the Colts don't have a pick in next year's first round? 

To make his boy Peppers look good, woody has put Hooker on the IR again next year AND has not allowed a player to be drafted to pair with Hooker, apparently.

I love this board after a Browns loss. Shenanigans!

2 hours ago, D Bone said:

"The season is notable for the Redskins drafting future Pro Bowlers Lavar Arrington and Chris Samuels with the second and third overall picks respectively in the first round of the 2000 NFL Draft."

So there's hope after all..............

12 minutes ago, alporcini said:

In 1992 Indianapolis had #1 AND #2.

Can only pray it turns out better for us than it did for them.

1 1 1 Steve Emtman Defensive end Washington
1 2 2 Quentin Coryatt Linebacker Texas A&M

Dammit, just when I thought there was hope...... 

9 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

To make his boy Peppers look good, woody has put Hooker on the IR again next year AND has not allowed a player to be drafted to pair with Hooker, apparently.

I love this board after a Browns loss. Shenanigans!

Sigh... This is real basic Sheet guys. I'm not sure why you aren't following. 

You wouldn't pair another pick with Hooker. That's not how the comparison would work. This has been done plenty of times in the past.

The high pick you could have made

Or

The trade down pick plus the direct, additional assets you got from that trade down

Understand?

(Unless you're intentionally being ignorant to troll. Definite possibility)

Just now, MLD Woody said:

You wouldn't pair another pick with Hooker. That's not how the comparison would work. This has been done plenty of times in the past.

Or

The trade down pick plus the direct, additional assets you got from that trade down

Understand?

Oh yes, I forgot that Peppers was the result of moving down and picking up the 1st this season.

To be honest, I don't know what I would do in that hypothetical. I do know that I didn't want anything to do with drafting Peppers, I thought he was possibly the most overrated player entering the '16 Draft. Not because he played at TTUN, but because he struck me as a tweener, a "Jack of All Trades, Master of None" type guy. He has done absolutely nothing to change my mind about this in his rookie season - but with the qualifier that he's been miscast as a free safety stationed in the next county.

Hooker scared me a bit too, he only started for one season at Ohio State, and his injury background was a little off-putting.

Well, having 0 Free Safeties on our roster is getting on my nerves. We need to play Peppers out of position each week because he is still our best option there. He has improved as the season has gone on, no doubt, but I'm not sure what the super deep safety position has much of an upside. 

Draft a guy that has played the pure ball hawk / centerfielder role to take  this Safety Spot and let Peppers get in the box where he can use his skillset. 

3 minutes ago, MLD Woody said:

Well, having 0 Free Safeties on our roster is getting on my nerves. We need to play Peppers out of position each week because he is still our best option there. He has improved as the season has gone on, no doubt, but I'm not sure what the super deep safety position has much of an upside. 

Draft a guy that has played the pure ball hawk / centerfielder role to take  this Safety Spot and let Peppers get in the box where he can use his skillset. 

lmao.....his 'skillset' isn't useful at all in the nfl.  you're trying to mold this perfect safety position for your boy, but that's not how the nfl works period.  Don't get hung up on fs/ss nomenclature......peppers is not a suitable nfl safety period.  You want safeties now with ball skills/corner skills. 

the problem with peppers all season hasn't mostly been that he is 'out of position'.  the problem is that he doesn't have nfl skills to match up with any nfl position.

14 minutes ago, Tacosman said:

lmao.....his 'skillset' isn't useful at all in the nfl.  you're trying to mold this perfect safety position for your boy, but that's not how the nfl works period.  Don't get hung up on fs/ss nomenclature......peppers is not a suitable nfl safety period.  You want safeties now with ball skills/corner skills. 

the problem with peppers all season hasn't mostly been that he is 'out of position'.  the problem is that he doesn't have nfl skills to match up with any nfl position.

Idk if you watch any of our games... but there is very much a difference between our deep safety and our in the box safety. Peppers is clearly better  at the latter, but we are playing him at the former. 

I'm not trying to mold any kind of perfect safety position. I'm just asking for him to be played in position. But we can't, or we don't, because he is still our best option at the super deep safety role.

1 minute ago, MLD Woody said:

Idk if you watch any of our games... but there is very much a difference between our deep safety and our in the box safety. Peppers is clearly better  at the latter, but we are playing him at the former. 

I'm not trying to mold any kind of perfect safety position. I'm just asking for him to be played in position. But we can't, or we don't, because he is still our best option at the super deep safety role.

ive watched every second of every browns game.  peppers doesn't belong on the field period.  He's only there because he was a (terrible) first round pick and the rest of the roster is so lacking.

6 hours ago, MLD Woody said:

Or

Understand?

Then you realize that a fair comparison would be between Watson and Peppers+our Texans' first round pick in 2018, don't you? 

Because that was the actual exchange. 

I am optimist about Peppers, because he has played in a new position and he has been improving throughout all the season, though I'd say he hasn't been stellar -- yet?

I don't know if it would be really positive to make him play SS again now that finally seems to get used to his new position. Having a FS/Centerfield as fast and as good tackler as Peppers is really something that I'd consider investing into, because if he learns to play the position and improves reading the QB and his coverage skills, he could be a great 'big play shut down' safety.

I think Williams wants to have some kind of Earl Thomas in Peppers. Let's hope it works.

17 hours ago, D Bone said:

Man, I have to wonder what the 'record' is for the 2 highest picks for one team? 

On two occasion the same team had both the #1 and #2 pick in the draft:

1958 the Chicago Cardinals selected King Hill QB  #1 and John David Crow RB  #2

In 1992 the Indianapolis Colts selected Steve Emptman  DL #1 and Quentin Coryatt #2.

Archived