THE BROWNS BOARD

• Favorite GAMEDAY food ? ..... Dine in, carryout, *delivery or make at home.

mjp28

3 minutes ago, Canton Mike said:

SAUSAGE & TORTELLINI SOUP

Remove sausage from casing and brown, break it up. Drain sausage and transfer to pot. add remaining ingredients to pot, EXCEPT TORTELLINI!!!! slow boil or simmer for at least 45min-1hr, until vegetables are tender. The longer you cook it, the thicker it will get (if too thick, thin it with additional beef broth). 5-10 min before serving, place tortellini in pot.

You'll probably want to at least double this recipe. It's our favorite soup.

Mike

Oh, my wife loves tortellini soup and has her own recipe for it, besides us our friends and neighbors really like it too. I'll have to show her this one. Thanks!

1 hour ago, Canton Mike said:

SAUSAGE & TORTELLINI SOUP

1 large carrot chopped

Remove sausage from casing and brownd. BTW, if you haven't tried it before, I highly recommend Girard's Olde Venice Italian Dressing. It's very different from Wishbone, etc. It's worth trying if you haven't yet.

Mike

Pretty sure I can get the Italian sausage here sans the casing. All sounds good but I'm not telling wifey about the carrots. She's always trying to ruin good soups with those yucky cooked carrots. Gives a cooked carrot flavor to everything. When I was a kid my mom would make a thick beef & potato stew and always threw in carrots to ruin it. I tried my best not to get any in mine because it was a requirement to eat everything on your plate. Any I got I saved to last and downed them all at once with milk so I got minimal chewing time.  🤮

I'll look for that dressing.🤩

1 hour ago, Dutch Oven said:

My mom has made this for years... We top it with shredded mozzarella cheese.

I never really tried it until just recently wasn't even on my culinary radar with all of the other countless foods out there -but- it was quite good.

And it goes to show you that unless you try different things you don't know what you are missing!  That's another reason why I like to exchange ideas on these GAMEDAY foods.  One of the girls here said "I never know what to cook or eat". Well I hit her with about 8 new easy recipes for a working person and it was like......wow.

Even my ID doctor copied my French Onion Chicken recipe on her cell phone.  Yeah I guess that you can say that I like this stuff.  :)

.......... maybe too much.  Sorry, you cannot add any more reactions today. :lol:

• Haha 1

Italian Sloppy Joes 

Ingredients

• 1 pound bulk Italian sausage
  • 1 pound bulk spicy Italian sausage
  • 4 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1 cup chopped green pepper
  • 1/2 cup chopped onion
  • 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
  • 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
  • 1 teaspoon dried oregano
  • 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon fennel seed
  • 8 to 10 French or submarine rolls, split
  • 3/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese (I prefer Miceli's Pizza Blend shredded cheese)
Directions
  • In a large saucepan or Dutch oven, cook sausage, garlic, green pepper and onion over medium heat until the sausage is no longer pink; drain. Add the tomato sauce and seasonings; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes. Spoon about 1/2 cup onto each roll; sprinkle with cheese

Excellent Sloppy Joe for those who like 'em a little spicy.

Mike

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Canton Mike said:

Mike

I think you left out the teaspoon of cayenne pepper. I'm sure that is in there. lol

2 hours ago, Canton Mike said:

Directions

In a large saucepan or Dutch Oven, cook sausage, garlic, green pepper and onion over medium heat until the sausage is no longer pink; drain. Add the tomato sauce and seasonings; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes. Spoon about 1/2 cup onto each roll; sprinkle with cheese

Mike

Sounds like a good recipe and I imagine you could tweak the spicy taste a bit to suit your needs.  Some love it spicy or real hot. Nice.

Also I think that there is a punchline in there somewhere.  :huh:

• Haha 1

And after all is said and done- my advice is to drink heavily, it eases the pain of yet another loss.....   the traditional shot of the Orange Stuff to start before the game.  Prosciutto with rose next. A rare occasion I didn't hang out with the guys...   Red Barron pizza with Elyse Morosholi zin during the game. OH, and tiki time with Mai Tais (yes I have the real Curacao to make 'em) and gin & tonics later. Steak on the grill with broccoli as a side.  Doing some 3 Zinfandel as a nightcap.  Nite all- :D

7 hours ago, hoorta said:

And after all is said and done- my advice is to drink heavily, it eases the pain of yet another loss.....   the traditional shot of the Orange Stuff to start before the game.  Prosciutto with rose next. A rare occasion I didn't hang out with the guys...   Red Barron pizza with Elyse Morosholi zin during the game. OH, and tiki time with Mai Tais (yes I have the real Curacao to make 'em) and gin & tonics later. Steak on the grill with broccoli as a side.  Doing some 3 Zinfandel as a nightcap.  Nite all- :D

I'm inviting my son in law over for his birthday early Nov. to break out a 2001 Grgich Hills Cabernet & medium raw steaks on the grill if I can convince wifey that this would be better than wasting a ton of money on Longhorn Steakhouse. I have to open that soon before it starts to decline. Bought it on a memorable trip to Napa many years ago on the advice of a Napa wine expert whom my mother knew as a friend in Walnut Creek, Ca. E of Oakland/Berkeley. The guy showed me his temp/humidity controlled wine cellar with around 3000 or so reds from around the world. I look down in one area and see a little sign that read, "Chateau Lafite Rothchild" from a very good year. I was looking at one of the holy grails. Anyway he spent years of his retirement in Napa tasting nothing but Cabernets and told me this was the best one he ever found there. Personally I like slightly lower cost Honig. Just bought a few bottles of 2016 and hope to live to full maturity (I might not reach it, but the wine will). LOL!😋🍷

EDIT: In case you are thinking of a Napa Cabernet here is a by year rating chart. It tells me it's time to drink my 2001 and it tells me 2016 was one of the best years since the late 90's. Very reliable source for ratings. https://www.winespectator.com/vintagecharts/search/id/15

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, TexasAg1969 said:

..... Anyway he spent years of his retirement in Napa tasting nothing but Cabernets and told me this was the best one he ever found there. Personally I like slightly lower cost Honig. Just bought a few bottles of 2016 and hope to live to full maturity (I might not reach it, but the wine will). LOL!😋🍷

EDIT: In case you are thinking of a Napa Cabernet here is a by year rating chart. It tells me it's time to drink my 2001 and it tells me 2016 was one of the best years since the late 90's. Very reliable source for ratings. https://www.winespectator.com/vintagecharts/search/id/15

Wow, like something out of a movie or maybe a PBS show.......or a fancy wine commercial.  I'm no wine connoisseur at all but it sounds interesting.

Now cigar aficionado yes I definitely did that to 40+ years.  Food, wine, art, cigars all kind of fall under that umbrella of having a passion or being a judge of something in your field or just really liking a particular subject.   Bon appetit!

36 minutes ago, mjp28 said:

Wow, like something out of a movie or maybe a PBS show.......or a fancy wine commercial.  I'm no wine connoisseur at all but it sounds interesting.

Now cigar aficionado yes I definitely did that to 40+ years.  Food, wine, art, cigars all kind of fall under that umbrella of having a passion or being a judge of something in your field or just really liking a particular subject.   Bon appetit!

Hoorta and I share this "distraction" of fine wines and rums. Add books to mine. Just starting "The British Are Coming", 1st of a trilogy on the Revolutionary War by Pulitzer Prize winning historian Rick Atkinson. The other two to be written/published down the road.📙

Favorite GAMEDAY food?..... Dine in, carryout, *delivery or make at home.

Something new that I added to the original subject line, delivery.  It's not just pizza anymore now with Grub Hub, Uber Eats and everybody else getting into the act even top notch restaurants have opened up their menus to delivery.

Have any of you tried delivery services for food besides the old conventional pizza and sub sandwich joints?  How are the foods and costs?

Just a new little twist on GAMEDAY foods.  :)

17 minutes ago, mjp28 said:

Favorite GAMEDAY food?..... Dine in, carryout, *delivery or make at home.

Something new that I added to the original subject line, delivery.  It's not just pizza anymore now with Grub Hub, Uber Eats and everybody else getting into the act even top notch restaurants have opened up their menus to delivery.

Have any of you tried delivery services for food besides the old conventional pizza and sub sandwich joints?  How are the foods and costs?

Just a new little twist on GAMEDAY foods.  :)

I use Grubhub and Doordash a lot when traveling for work. I’ve had Greek,Indian , sushi, bbq etc delivered. Usually awesome and the charge is usually around $5. 

• Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, jcam222 said:

I’ve had Greek,Indian , sushi, bbq etc delivered. Usually awesome and the charge is usually around $5. 

Always enjoy reading new post in here...this one ^^ gave me a college flashback of some fun food stuff we use to listen to...

Really still miss the guy's food comedy 🙏.. Died far to soon, at age 50.. John was born in Boston, a year after myself in 64..Died outside of Pittsburgh (could have been the food;)) in Springfield, Pa.. after 44 pages of gameday food & recipes? Thought John Pinette may deserve a plate & a food laugh spot on here.. MYN.gif           

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, jcam222 said:

I use Grubhub and Doordash a lot when traveling for work. I’ve had Greek,Indian , sushi, bbq etc delivered. Usually awesome and the charge is usually around $5. 

I just checked out Uber Eats, wow they deliver anything you can imagine we will try it sometime when we're not cooking. UPDATE: Oh I just downloaded the Uber Eats app and I'm all set. All I have to do is put in my information and get ready to order.

Browse
Uber Eats has hundreds of restaurants to choose from. When you open the app, you can scroll through the feed for inspiration or search for a particular restaurant or cuisine. When you find something you like, tap to add it to your cart.

Order
When you’re ready to check out, you’ll see your address, an estimated delivery time, and the price of the order including tax and delivery fee. When everything looks right, just tap Place order–and that’s it. We’ll automatically use the card on file so you never need cash.
Track
Follow your order in the app. First you’ll see the restaurant accept and start prepping. Then, when the order’s almost ready, a nearby Uber partner–in a car, on a bike, or scooter–will go to the restaurant to pick it up. Next, they’ll drive or ride to you. You’ll be able to see their name and photo and track progress on the map.
  • Upvote 1

15 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

I'm inviting my son in law over for his birthday early Nov. to break out a 2001 Grgich Hills Cabernet & medium raw steaks on the grill if I can convince wifey that this would be better than wasting a ton of money on Longhorn Steakhouse. I have to open that soon before it starts to decline. Bought it on a memorable trip to Napa many years ago on the advice of a Napa wine expert whom my mother knew as a friend in Walnut Creek, Ca. E of Oakland/Berkeley. The guy showed me his temp/humidity controlled wine cellar with around 3000 or so reds from around the world. I look down in one area and see a little sign that read, "Chateau Lafite Rothchild" from a very good year. I was looking at one of the holy grails. Anyway he spent years of his retirement in Napa tasting nothing but Cabernets and told me this was the best one he ever found there. Personally I like slightly lower cost Honig. Just bought a few bottles of 2016 and hope to live to full maturity (I might not reach it, but the wine will). LOL!😋🍷

A true story about Grgich. In my one and only trip to Napa- we had some time to kill before our next appointment.  We were tasting at Grgich Hills, and who walks in but Mike Grgich. For those of you not familiar with the wine scene- it was the equivalent of the President walking unexpectedly into the room. To a person, everyone grabbed a bottle or two and asked Mike to autograph them, which he graciously did.  

But just a 2001 cab? Sheeze, by my standards that's a young 'un. Just gave the nephew his wedding present- a birth year wine of 1991 Chateau Montelena cab. I've got oldie and mouldies in my cellar that predate that. My mentor Tom (RIP)- who had an unbelievable cellar- hosted a tasting of Inglenook Cabernets from the 1960s that were at least 30 years old at the time, and they were still in good shape.  

14 hours ago, mjp28 said:

I was on a cigar kick for a while, but thought better of it- Macanudo crystal was my fave. The problem is- it's best to get in on the ground floor before something becomes a "collectible". That's what happened in the world of high end wines starting in the vicinity of 1990. Especially top wines from Bordeaux in France. What I paid for a case of my 1982 Bordeaux when they were offered as futures in 1983, I couldn't even buy a bottle of the same wine today- even allowing for inflation. So I'm drinking down my liquid assets that I can't replace anymore. I am selling off one of my cellar gems- that I really can't drink in good conscience.  It's a bottle of 1990 Chateau Petrus, appreciated 1,000% since I bought it. Enjoy it- or pay for a year of my Browns season tickets with the proceeds. Pretty easy decision on my part.  Yeah- there's people out there with enough disposable income to not think twice about shelling out four figures+ for a bottle of wine. As I told our students in our wine appreciation class, there's my logarithmic law of diminishing returns. Just because a wine is 10 times more expensive doesn't necessarily make it 10 times better. Millionaires are looking to find that Holy Grail of wine regardless of the cost. And if you're curious- if someone twisted my arm asking what was the greatest wine I've ever experienced- it would probably be the 1959 Chateau Mouton Rothschild. It was at least 30 years ago, and I still remember it like it was yesterday. When the cork got pulled, it was like someone had opened a bottle of perfume and tossed it around the room, you could smell the wine from 10 feet away. One of my experienced tasting pals said it deserved at least 150 points on a 100 point scale. 

13 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Hoorta and I share this "distraction" of fine wines and rums. Add books to mine. Just starting "The British Are Coming", 1st of a trilogy on the Revolutionary War by Pulitzer Prize winning historian Rick Atkinson. The other two to be written/published down the road.📙

:) except I don't read much anymore Ag- just the daily paper and keeping up on the Browns doings keeps me plenty busy enough. 

7 hours ago, hoorta said:

A true story about Grgich. In my one and only trip to Napa- we had some time to kill before our next appointment.  We were tasting at Grgich Hills, and who walks in but Mike Grgich. For those of you not familiar with the wine scene- it was the equivalent of the President walking unexpectedly into the room. To a person, everyone grabbed a bottle or two and asked Mike to autograph them, which he graciously did.  

But just a 2001 cab? Sheeze, by my standards that's a young 'un. Just gave the nephew his wedding present- a birth year wine of 1991 Chateau Montelena cab. I've got oldie and mouldies in my cellar that predate that. My mentor Tom (RIP)- who had an unbelievable cellar- hosted a tasting of Inglenook Cabernets from the 1960s that were at least 30 years old at the time, and they were still in good shape.  

I was on a cigar kick for a while, but thought better of it- Macanudo crystal was my fave. The problem is- it's best to get in on the ground floor before something becomes a "collectible". That's what happened in the world of high end wines starting in the vicinity of 1990. Especially top wines from Bordeaux in France. What I paid for a case of my 1982 Bordeaux when they were offered as futures in 1983, I couldn't even buy a bottle of the same wine today- even allowing for inflation. So I'm drinking down my liquid assets that I can't replace anymore. I am selling off one of my cellar gems- that I really can't drink in good conscience.  It's a bottle of 1990 Chateau Petrus, appreciated 1,000% since I bought it. Enjoy it- or pay for a year of my Browns season tickets with the proceeds. Pretty easy decision on my part.  Yeah- there's people out there with enough disposable income to not think twice about shelling out four figures+ for a bottle of wine. As I told our students in our wine appreciation class, there's my logarithmic law of diminishing returns. Just because a wine is 10 times more expensive doesn't necessarily make it 10 times better. Millionaires are looking to find that Holy Grail of wine regardless of the cost. And if you're curious- if someone twisted my arm asking what was the greatest wine I've ever experienced- it would probably be the 1959 Chateau Mouton Rothschild. It was at least 30 years ago, and I still remember it like it was yesterday. When the cork got pulled, it was like someone had opened a bottle of perfume and tossed it around the room, you could smell the wine from 10 feet away. One of my experienced tasting pals said it deserved at least 150 points on a 100 point scale. 

:) except I don't read much anymore Ag- just the daily paper and keeping up on the Browns doings keeps me plenty busy enough. 

I got to meet Mike on that trip as well. He sold me the bottle and told me it was going to be a great one down the line. I'm afraid to let it stay any longer with the wine charts telling me 2001 Napas will start to decline. Wish I'd thought of the autograph. As soon as the 2016 hits the local store I'm going to add a few of those as well. BTW I have nice 2003 Chateau Smith Haut Lafitte that I bought half price about 10 years or so ago at a going out of business sale. It's an excellent year and I like the taste since I already drank one of the two. It is still reasonably priced for a 1st Cru Bordeaux, around $1000-900 per case of 12. Don't know the shipping cost from England though. 2016 is also an excellent year for Bordeaux. Worth looking for something to keep for the deathbed scene, "Dear just open that 2016 and let me have one last sip on the way out."🍷🐸crock😋 

As for reading I always have a book with me. My racquetball partners always tease me about reading between games when we have too many people to play every game at the same time. "Please dear, just read me one more line from that history book about how we dethroned King Donald."🤴👍          A great combo for The Perfect Exit.😜

On 11/5/2017 at 9:47 AM, mjp28 said:

No BROWNS WEEK 9? Hey no problem we still have to eat, so what's your favorite gameday or just weekend eats?

Dine in or tavern hangout, carryout, favorite rib, chicken, pizza, sandwich, whatever or even cook at home what's up for gameday?

.........and we've added something that has become more popular delivery! Everyone is getting into the delivery business now even the better restaurants.  October 23, 2019

This was the very first post in the GAMEDAY foods thread in 2017 on a BROWNS bye week so the same question are any of you doing anything special for the weekend college or professional football games?

And then there's the next BROWNS game coming up in week 8 at 4:25 pm in New England after that, should be interesting to see the BROWNS after an extra week off and a few key players back.

GO BROWNS and eat well!

Went to placing of the ashes for daughter in law's grandpa Mickey, WW II vet and oil field roughneck & rig foreman all his life. Great guy whom we celebrated by placing those ashes alongside his son's who died of cancer at age 44 just a few years ago. As his other son placed the ashes in with his brother's he laughed and said, "Damn, they're arguing again already!" 😂

Extended family enjoyed a beautiful clear blue sky, t-shirts & shorts weather and good potluck eats afterwards with just about every dish you could think of from country raised folks. Deviled eggs, meatballs in BB sauces, German chocolate cake, every chip & dip, Shiner Bock & Cokes/Sprite, chicken salad and tuna salad sandwiches and plenty of varied fruits on toothpicks with fine sour cream & brown sugar dip. Great day for celebration of a great life from the Greatest Generation.👍🤠

• Upvote 3

Here's a great snack or side dish for a GAMEDAY get-together and one of my favorites FRIED GREEN TOMATOES.

FRIED GREEN TOMATOES - Michael's grandmother made the best Fried Green Tomatoes we'll see how this recipe compares to them.

World’s Best Recipe for Fried Green Tomatoes ?

4 large green tomatoes
2 eggs
1/2 cup milk
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup cornmeal
1/2 cup bread crumbs
2 teaspoons coarse kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 quart vegetable oil for frying

How to make it :

Slice tomatoes 1/2 inch thick. Discard the ends.
Whisk eggs and milk together in a medium-size bowl. Scoop flour onto a plate. Mix cornmeal, bread crumbs and salt and pepper on another plate. Dip tomatoes into flour to coat. Then dip the tomatoes into milk and egg mixture. Dredge in breadcrumbs to completely coat.
In a large skillet, pour vegetable oil (enough so that there is 1/2 inch of oil in the pan) and heat over a medium heat. Place tomatoes into the frying pan in batches of 4 or 5, depending on the size of your skillet. Do not crowd the tomatoes, they should not touch each other. When the tomatoes are browned, flip and fry them on the other side. Drain them on paper towels.

13239455_1291479334214444_8953463501356690167_n.jpg

• Thanks 1

That is a very basic recipe for Fried Green Tomatoes some use a few other additions like a dash of hot pepper sauce.  Sometimes I would use the old standard Frank's Red Hot Sauce.  You probably could also use Tabasco or others to taste.   Any other recipes out there?

I just love them my grandmother's way but she never used a written recipe on anything!  A true scratch cook best I've ever eaten.     :)

• Upvote 1

Green beans with bacon is a always nice start with your favorite cole slaw and some good looking meat!  

.......Oh God the place I'm in now has a somewhat "limited menu" compared to the last two great ones  I was in.  I see carryout real soon!

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

I'll be in Jersey next weekend, watching the Browns game with my cousin (who is originally from Ohio)...

I'll have to take some pics of the Jersey fare I eat... like a Dutch Baby (breakfast) or some pizza (the pizza joint in Brooklyn we usually go to - Grimaldi's - has opened a restaurant in North Jersey) for my boy mjp.. 

I was in Jersey a few years back and was surprised to see Jersey Mike’s was actually called “Jersey Mike’s”. Why not just Mike’s? That would be like calling Kentucky Fried Chicken “Kentucky Fried Chicken” in Kentucky.

Also some great pizza in Hoboken. Big slices. Can’t remember the name of the place but all kindsa famous people pics on the wall. James Gandolfini in there l recall. 

• Upvote 2