THE BROWNS BOARD

• Favorite GAMEDAY food ? ..... Dine in, carryout, *delivery or make at home.

mjp28

Just now, flyingfooldoug said:

Sliced thin and hit it on a griddle for a minute and it makes a damn good SLT sandwich. 

I had a regular BLT for lunch today, SPAM is also a good idea.

4 hours ago, mjp28 said:

SPAM and similar products seem to be in the love it or hate it type food.   I personally LOVE SPAM cold on a sandwich or grilled on the stove with melted cheese and a tomato on your favorite bread. Ummmm.

Spam in fried rice is outstanding.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Westside Steve said:

Just for the record my BBQ ribs were the high point of the game last night... 

Of course compared to that fucking game a big bowl of dog food with sour cream would have been the high point but you know what I mean.

WSS

A leftover spicy Chic fil A sand witch cold from the fridge tasted better than that turd we rolled out there.🤮

• Haha 2

I planned on making squirrel and dumplings, but it rained a bit, leaves on still on, didn't see any good sized ones.

but I've been too busy to hunt much. yet.

Indian summer is not far away.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

I planned on making squirrel and dumplings, but it rained a bit, leaves on still on, didn't see any good sized ones.

but I've been too busy to hunt much. yet.

Indian summer is not far away.

We've had only 2 inches of rain since June and Austin just set an all time record of 4 degrees higher than any other Sept. in recorded history based on hourly measurements 24 hours a day. Finally cooled off to 60 degrees overnight Sunday and Monday.

47 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

We've had only 2 inches of rain since June and Austin just set an all time record of 4 degrees higher than any other Sept. in recorded history based on hourly measurements 24 hours a day. Finally cooled off to 60 degrees overnight Sunday and Monday.

Austin, lol.

5 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Yes the farmers are juggling around everything this year on the too wet, hot etc. some crops are super some not. We've finally got a taste of fall, my favorite season, this week in NE Ohio with some highs in the 60s and 70s after some all time highs in October pushing 90!  Not my weather!

I always root for the farmers, ranchers and other growers......and that global warming is a bitch lately.   ;)

Hey what's GAMEDAY food without those guys.

15 hours ago, mjp28 said:

Yes the farmers are juggling around everything this year on the too wet, hot etc. some crops are super some not. We've finally got a taste of fall, my favorite season, this week in NE Ohio with some highs in the 60s and 70s after some all time highs in October pushing 90!  Not my weather!

I always root for the farmers, ranchers and other growers......and that global warming is a bitch lately.   ;)

Hey what's GAMEDAY food without those guys.

Going to be in the 30s Friday or Saturday night. Time to fire up the soup. I made some Smoked Beef French onion soup for the fall weather yesterday. Cubes smoked brisket, smoked au jus pan drippings full of rosemary and thyme, beef stock , caramel iced onions. Declious and the smokiness adds a twist to the normal French onion soup. 

3ABB653D-F4FD-4897-82D1-292045EBE74B.jpeg

• Like 1

15 hours ago, jcam222 said:

Going to be in the 30s Friday or Saturday night. Time to fire up the soup. I made some Smoked Beef French onion soup for the fall weather yesterday. Cubes smoked brisket, smoked au jus pan drippings full of rosemary and thyme, beef stock , caramel iced onions. Declious and the smokiness adds a twist to the normal French onion soup. 

I love french onion soup one of my favorites......I also have a good recipe for french onion chicken, might have put in on here a while back, try it you'll like it especially on the upcoming fall and winter days coming up. Ummmmmmm.  

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, mjp28 said:

I love french onion soup one of my favorites......I also have a good recipe for french onion chicken, might have put in on here a while back, try it you'll like it especially on the upcoming fall and winter days coming up. Ummmmmmm.  

I'm going on a chocolate malted shake strike. 👶🍼

• Haha 2

And why eat out of a brown or white bag or white box when with a little planning and a little bit of time you can have a real meal!  I do  my select recipes for here and I email them to some friends like Dutch Oven here many are quick and easy and often very affordable for a good meal. If you're interested just let me know. Oh and french onion chicken, from the mjp email file.......

French Onion Chicken Skillet  - 1 hour to prepare serves 4-6

This is seriously an outstanding dish. If you’ve got the time to whip it up on a weeknight – we find it relaxing to cook the onions – it’ll blow your family away, otherwise, you’ll be sure to impress any and all guests for whom you make it. Regardless of whether you even like onions (it’s impossible not to like these!), this dish is a certified winner, every time!

INGREDIENTS
2 pounds Vidalia onions, sliced
2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs (we prefer the dark meat but it's up to you)
2 cups beef broth
1 cup swiss cheese, grated
1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil, divided
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 teaspoon dried sage
Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste

PREPARATION
Preheat oven to 350º F.
Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large, oven-proof pan or skillet over medium heat. Season with salt and cook onions, stirring occasionally, for 15-20 minutes, or until softened and caramelized.

Add balsamic vinegar and cook for another 3-5 minutes or until darkened, but not burned.
Remove onions from heat and transfer to a medium bowl.
Heat remaining olive oil in skillet and raise heat to medium-high.

Season chicken breasts (or thighs) with salt, pepper, thyme and sage, then place in skillet and sear on both sides until golden brown. Remove chicken from heat and set aside.

Pour beef broth into skillet and bring mixture to a boil, scraping up stuck bits from the bottom of pan.
Return heat to medium-low and whisk in flour, stirring until smooth. Cook for 5-7 minutes, or until mixture has thickened. Taste and adjust seasoning, if necessary.

Return chicken and onions to pan, stir together with beef gravy, then top with grated swiss cheese.
Transfer skillet to oven and cook until cheese is melted and bubbly, and chicken is cooked through.

Remove from oven and serve hot. Enjoy!

delish-190530-french-onion-chicken-037-landscape-pf-1559743661.png

• Upvote 3

1,272 replies  20,001 views

Wow over 1,200 replies and over 20,000 views on our GAMEDAY foods thread. 

Thanks for the interest and support, here's to 20,000 more.  Bon appetit!  mjp

• Upvote 3

In those cool fall GAMEDAYS or the chilly winter days what's better than a nice hot bowl of IRISH POTATO SOUP.  Add your favorite sandwiches cut into quarters for some great snacking at halftime or with the soup before or after the game.

IRISH POTATO SOUP -      SERVES 6   COOK TIME    45 Min

Irish Potato Soup is a traditional favorite that never goes out of style. Enjoy its goodness around St. Patrick's Day or any time.

What You'll Need

2 tablespoons butter
1 small onion, chopped
1 celery stalk, chopped
6 potatoes, peeled and diced
2 (10-1/2-ounce) cans condensed chicken broth
2 cups plus 3 tablespoons water, divided
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
2 tablespoons cornstarch

What to Do

In a soup pot, melt butter over medium heat and saute onion and celery 3 to 4 minutes, or until tender.

Add potatoes, broth, 2 cups water, Worcestershire sauce, thyme, and pepper; mix well. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat then reduce heat to low and simmer 35 minutes.

In a small bowl, combine remaining 3 tablespoons water and cornstarch; stir into soup and cook until thickened.

NOTES:. If  you'd like, top with thin slices of hard-boiled eggs and sprinkle with chopped fresh parsley just before serving.

Irish-Potato-Soup_ArticleImage-CategoryPage_ID-1085181.jpg

• Upvote 1

Portuguese Soup

2 cups chopped onions

2 teaspoons wet minced garlic (from small jar)

6 Tablespoons Olive Oil 

1 1/2 Lbs smoked sausage (may be garlic flavored if desired)

10 cups beef stock

16 oz. can kidney beans drained 

1 head medium sized cabbage cored and chopped in medium pieces

12 small new potatoes cut up 1 in. semi-cubes with skins on

salt & pepper to taste

Slice the sausage in 1/2 to 1/3 in slices.

Saute onions & garlic in oil until transparent and add in the sausage. Brown the sausage until lightly browned.

Throw all that and the rest in a large deep pan bringing it to a boil. Reduce the heat to simmer and stir every 5 minutes or so to be sure nothing is sticking on the bottom, especially when bringing it to the boil. Simmer for around 45 minutes and then eat to your heart's delight.

• Thanks 1

Portuguese Soup. hmmmmm, the wife and I were just talking about making a hearty sausage soup maybe with mild or sweet Italian sausage. This might fill the bill, would any sausage be fine here? Smoked or Italian?   Sounds like it might be a good idea.

.........edit add, the fall and and winter seasons are made for soups, stews and casseroles. Warms up the kitchen plus it smelled so good.  Add in some good homemade or store bought Italian, pumpernickel or other hearty bread maybe some good wine and let it snow.  :)

2 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

I made Zuppa Tuscana tonight... 

(3) large potatoes, cubed

(6-8) Italian sausages, hot or mild to preference

(1) bag of kale

- Fry up sausages, then cut up into bite size pieces. Throw in with rest of ingredients in crock pot, cook on low for roughly 6 hours (until potatoes have softened up). Chop up roughly (4) or so cups of kale, throw in and let simmer for 10 or so minutes to soften up. Serve with bread sticks. 

You guys are really thinking along the same lines as we were thinking.  Hearty soup or Zuppa with the sausage, potatoes and I love kale......oh yeah!

Serve with bread or bread sticks maybe some good wine, oh yeah.  Plus the leftover soup is even better!

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, mjp28 said:

Portuguese Soup. hmmmmm, the wife and I were just talking about making a hearty sausage soup maybe with mild or sweet Italian sausage. This might fill the bill, would any sausage be fine here? Smoked or Italian?   Sounds like it might be a good idea.

.........edit add, the fall and and winter seasons are made for soups, stews and casseroles. Warms up the kitchen plus it smelled so good.  Add in some good homemade or store bought Italian, pumpernickel or other hearty bread maybe some good wine and let it snow.  :)

Yes, I have also made it with Italian sausage and it's great with either. And it almost snowed here this morning.☃️ It was a near freeing 49 degrees. Brrrrrrrrrrrr🌬️😁

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

I made Zuppa Tuscana tonight...

Best I ever had was actually in Florence, Italy. We asked several local store owners where the real citizens of Florence ate and several recommended that soup at one particular local restaurant. They were right about the soup. It was great!😋

• Upvote 1

And someone told me once all GAMEDAY food was ALL just wings, chips and pizza and you couldn't make a thread out of it.    :lol:.  

(not that's anything wrong with that, I love a pizza once in a while)

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

Everyone loves Italian sausage... 😄

And an Italian ham.  :P

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, mjp28 said:

And someone told me once all GAMEDAY food was ALL just wings, chips and pizza and you couldn't make a thread out of it.    :lol:.  

(not that's anything wrong with that, I love a pizza once in a while)

Who doesn't like a little pizza 💃every now and then?😁

46 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

Been waiting for soup weather... it finally arrived!

(Went to City Barbeque in Fairlawn this afternoon for lunch, pretty darn good. Recommend it. I got the 'More Cowbell' sandwich, and I got to ring the cowbell to announce my ordering of it!) 

I smoke a lot of my own Q so am pretty critical of restaurant bbq. City BBQ is damn good. I love this time of year for soup too. I’ve done soup twice this week already in the Instant Pot. It’s awesome for soups and stews. 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

Been waiting for soup weather... it finally arrived!

(Went to City Barbeque in Fairlawn this afternoon for lunch, pretty darn good. Recommend it. I got the 'More Cowbell' sandwich, and I got to ring the cowbell to announce my ordering of it!) 

And what is soup weather well it's football weather!   (and you can add stews, casseroles and oven cooked chicken, turkey and beef).

It all just seems to go along great.  Fall has always been my favorite time of the year.  GO BROWNS, and have a great GAMEDAY!

8 hours ago, mjp28 said:

And what is soup weather well it's football weather!   (and you can add stews, casseroles and oven cooked chicken, turkey and beef).

It all just seems to go along great.  Fall has always been my favorite time of the year.  GO BROWNS, and have a great GAMEDAY!

But best of all it's Venezuelan rum weather!😋

SAUSAGE & TORTELLINI SOUP

1.5 pds. mild or hot italian sausage (I ALWAYS use 1/2 mild & 1/2 hot)
3-4 cups beef broth (have extra broth on hand)
1 (28oz) can crushed or pureed tomatoes
1 onion chopped
1 large carrot chopped
1 square package frozen chopped spinach (do not thaw-add FROZEN later in the cooking)
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
salt and pepper to taste
1 package frozen CHEESE tortellini

Remove sausage from casing and brown, break it up. Drain sausage and transfer to pot. add remaining ingredients to pot, EXCEPT TORTELLINI & SPINACH!!!! slow boil or simmer for at least 45min-1hr, until vegetables are tender. The longer you cook it, the thicker it will get (if too thick, thin it with additional beef broth). Add frozen spinach 30 minutes or so into cooking & 5-10 min before serving, place tortellini in pot. This is also a good crockpot recipe.

You'll probably want to at least double this recipe. It's our favorite soup. Serve with garlic bread & a salad. BTW, if you haven't tried it before, I highly recommend Girard's Olde Venice Italian Dressing. It's very different from Wishbone, etc. It's worth trying if you haven't yet.

Mike

• Upvote 1