mjp28

Favorite GAMEDAY food?..... Dine in, carryout or make at home.

Our first preseason game and a birthday to celebrate Thursday.  Good occasion for some steamed crab legs, drawn butter, oysters on the half shell and some good hard French bread. 

Go Browns

• Upvote 2

new simple recipe ! We made it just this week !

chicken breasts - cooked to very tender

salt-pepper lightly

homemade wild blackberry jam (btw, blackberries are getting ripe, I have frozen about 8 lbs so far)

scalloped potatoes

store bought Rhodes rolls

iced tea with mango sweetener (that's if I'm out of root beer)

or some great bbq ribs with carolina sweet bbq sauce, but that's too much work usually.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, SD_Tom said:

Ribs usually hit the spot.  Same with wings. 

Some good looking man size slabs of meat there.  :P

37 minutes ago, mjp28 said:

Some good looking man size slabs of meat there.  :P

I think a trip to Royal Oaks is happening this Saturday or next, speaking of ribs... 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

homemade wild blackberry jam (btw, blackberries are getting ripe, I have frozen about 8 lbs so far)😋

iced tea with mango sweetener (that's if I'm out of root beer)

squirrel and dumplings

You're staying at my place when you finally make a Browns game Bill (tex).🙀

FIFY😂

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, SD_Tom said:

Ribs usually hit the spot.  Same with wings. 

20190707_180747.jpg

20190707_180824.jpg

Ever do western style ribs like this?  I think they’re just as good but with way more meat to bone. More bang for the buck

4 hours ago, flyingfooldoug said:

Ever do western style ribs like this?  I think they’re just as good but with way more meat to bone. More bang for the buck

Not sure what that is. These are St Louis cut.  I prefer baby backs,  but this is all they had. 

Smoked the top one for about 5.5 hours unwrapped,  the two other slabs were 3-2-1 style. 

If I'm going bang for buck,  pork butt wins,  but it takes forever

28 minutes ago, SD_Tom said:

Not sure what that is. These are St Louis cut.  I prefer baby backs,  but this is all they had. 

Smoked the top one for about 5.5 hours unwrapped,  the two other slabs were 3-2-1 style. 

They’re cut from the ends. Meatier and more akin to chops. I’ll cook them the same as spare or baby back. A little bit longer but great to eat as is or doing pulled pork. Wanna roll some eyes? Pulled pork on a bagel

On 8/7/2019 at 5:55 PM, Dutch Oven said:

I think a trip to Royal Oaks is happening this Saturday or next, speaking of ribs... 

If you guys and gals out there aren't afraid of dive bars and Youngstown, Ohio (it's not really that scary. :unsure:) .......and want some good barbeque and cold beer try the Oaks the ROYAL OAKS. I remember it as a dive bar and bookie hangout when I was going to YSU....but that's just me.  :lol:

o-2.jpg

o.jpg

o-1.jpg

o-3.jpg

11 hours ago, SD_Tom said:

What temp?

6 hours ago, Kvoethe said:

What temp?

I cook em the same as slab ribs but a couple hours longer. My temp varies according to my charcoal. I just sauce em up and use lots of applewood and let em smoke about 8 - 10 hours

On 8/8/2019 at 7:04 PM, Kvoethe said:

What temp?

I don't know for sure,  but hopefully it was around 250-275

No temp gauge 

For the dolts preseason game, we’re gonna go down to the Briar Hill Italian Fest and see what looks good. Gip might call it putrid but the reality is...... Some of the best Italian grub you can get anywhere.....World Class Cuisine 

Leave the gun, grab the cannoli...lol

• Upvote 1

I don't eat ribs that are all slathered up with sauce.  I like a Memphis Dry.  Maybe take a squeeze bottle and put a little sauce on the outer edge.

My attitude is if you have to put sauce on them to make them good, you didn't make them right in the first place.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, ballpeen said:

I don't eat ribs that are all slathered up with sauce.  I like a Memphis Dry.  Maybe take a squeeze bottle and put a little sauce on the outer edge.

My attitude is if you have to put sauce on them to make them good, you didn't make them right in the first place.

Ah, a rib snob I see. 😂🤣

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, flyingfooldoug said:

For the dolts preseason game, we’re gonna go down to the Briar Hill Italian Fest and see what looks good. Gip might call it putrid but the reality is...... Some of the best Italian grub you can get anywhere.....World Class Cuisine 

Not me I love Italian food. 

11 hours ago, ballpeen said:

I have to admit I agree. Virtually everything I smoke I do not sauce. I serve sauce on the side for those who want it. If more than a few people need to bury it in sauce I figure I have failed on that cook :) 

• Upvote 1

For today's game against Indy (3pm CDT) I'm opening a bottle of Grenacha-this  one a red wine from the Valencia area in southern Spain. Never had this before. Was a great value pick for only about $10 so I need to try it out to decide whether to get more while it's still on the shelf locally. During a game is as good a time as any.

1 hour ago, flyingfooldoug said:

I ordered a little smoker from eBay.  

And this is what arrived.  Oops

650CF60E-C4AE-47F5-857A-38AAAA2158C3.jpeg

Buy that from the Epstein estate?😱😁

• Haha 1

I guess we know who will be getting a visit from Chris Hanson today.... 😁

On 8/16/2019 at 7:27 AM, flyingfooldoug said:

I think it is the 28th annual event since they brought it back in the old original Briar Hill neighborhood. When the Mills died in the 1980s a lot of the old neighborhoods died with them.

Still a good event to keep it alive.

Screenshot_2019-08-17_094719.jpg

Screenshot_2019-08-17_095932.jpg

The 28th annual Brier Hill Italian Fest will be held August 15-18, 2019 on Calvin & Victoria Streets in the Brier Hill neighborhood on Youngstown’s North Side. There will be live Italian music, morra tournament (Friday, 7:30pm), Hot Pepper Contest (Saturday), Wine Tasting Contest (Sunday), and authentic Italian food.

Hours are Thursday and Friday, August 15 & 16, 4:00pm-midnight; and Saturday and Sunday, August 17 & 18, 12:00pm-midnight.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, mjp28 said:

The 28th annual Brier Hill Italian Fest will be held August 15-18, 2019 on Calvin & Victoria Streets in the Brier Hill neighborhood on Youngstown’s North Side. There will be live Italian music, morra tournament (Friday, 7:30pm), Hot Pepper Contest (Saturday), Wine Tasting Contest (Sunday), and authentic Italian food.

Hours are Thursday and Friday, August 15 & 16, 4:00pm-midnight; and Saturday and Sunday, August 17 & 18, 12:00pm-midnight.

Maybe Dutch could go Sunday as our TBB authentic Italian food tester.

Get in your car, "road trip" and take your camera.  :D

Today's post game fare is Green Chili stew with hominy and browned ground turkey breast added in. Abita Amber Beer or Shiner Bock to go with it. Yummy.😋

1 hour ago, mjp28 said:

Maybe Dutch could go Sunday as our TBB authentic Italian food tester.

Get in your car, "road trip" and take your camera.  :D

Oh hell no.

I can't stand Italians. 

😁

On 8/17/2019 at 3:54 PM, TexasAg1969 said:

Today's post game fare is Green Chili stew with hominy and browned ground turkey breast added in. Abita Amber Beer or Shiner Bock to go with it. Yummy.😋

If you’ve never tried making your own beer, you should. It’s pretty easy and the results are well worth the trouble. You can custom make a brew for your taste buds alone. 

I like the Porter styles and not so much the IPAs. It’s all good tho

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, flyingfooldoug said:

If you’ve never tried making your own beer, you should. It’s pretty easy and the results are well worth the trouble. You can custom make a brew for your taste buds alone. 

I like the Porter styles and not so much the IPAs. It’s all good tho

My son in law has done that, but he's a huge IPA fan. Give me a good European beer any day. My favorite beers are the Belgian Trappist Rochefort 10 & England's Samuel Smith Oatmeal Stout. That Rochefort 10 costs about $7/ 11oz. bottle so it's almost cheaper to move to there. But it's God's beer since the water comes from a well inside the monastery walls. Tastes like it too.🍺🤗

EDIT: When I was in a bar/restaurant in Bruges I asked the waiter to bring me a glass of the very best Belgian beer he had on tap. That Rocefort 10 even had it's own special glass he served it in. Since then I have found many a website that rates it one the very best beers in the world.

EDIT #2:  Ye ole blind taste test of 3 top Belgian beers. 

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

My son in law has done that, but he's a huge IPA fan. Give me a good European beer any day. My favorite beers are the Belgian Trappist Rochefort 10 & England's Samuel Smith Oatmeal Stout. That Rochefort 10 costs about $7/ 11oz. bottle so it's almost cheaper to move to there. But it's God's beer since the water comes from a well inside the monastery walls. Tastes like it too.🍺🤗

EDIT: When I was in a bar/restaurant in Bruges I asked the waiter to bring me a glass of the very best Belgian beer he had on tap. That Rocefort 10 even had it's own special glass he served it in. Since then I have found many a website that rates it one the very best beers in the world.

EDIT #2:  Ye ole blind taste test of 3 top Belgian beers. 

I never had IPA until I made a batch and thought I ducked it up and made barley vinegar. A friend of mine thought it was great tho. That’s when I discovered that I don’t care much for IPAs. Try a barley wine for something different. It’s a beer that runs 12 -15 percent alcohol. El Diablo