mjp28

Favorite GAMEDAY food?..... Dine in, carryout or make at home.

5 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

If I go as far as Girard, I might as well just go down south on 680 and go to the Royal Oak for some bbq. 

Or keep going east to Hermitage to Combine Bros.... Really good Italian food. 

Both City BBQ and Mission BBQ in Akron and Canton respectively are great even if they are chains. I thought you meant Royal Oak Michigan there for a minute.

WSS

20 minutes ago, Westside Steve said:

Both City BBQ and Mission BBQ in Akron and Canton respectively are great even if they are chains. I thought you meant Royal Oak Michigan there for a minute.

WSS

As a Vietnam Vet, I have NEVER been treated better & with more respect than at Mission BBQ in Canton. Chain or not, this place Really makes Vets, Safety Forces & First Responders feel special & the food is excellent too. At noon daily, they play The Star Spangled Banner & ALL stand. All food made fresh on premises daily & they do not have a freezer or microwave.

I have a real soft spot for Mission BBQ.

Mike

• Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, Westside Steve said:

WSS

Is City BBQ the new place out on Market in Fairlawn? I've had Mission BBQ, it's on par with Old Carolina BBQ, another local BBQ place. 

This is the Royal Oaks I was talking about, the longest-running bar in Youngstown... 

2b31fe60d8f7ef49e53a32b9e07146fa--royal-oak-dive.jpg

• Upvote 2

I've been to Old Carolina twice and thought that it sucked out loud. Yes city is out on Market Street in Fairlawn. Royal Oak looks very cool.

WSS

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Canton Mike said:

As a Vietnam Vet, I have NEVER been treated better & with more respect than at Mission BBQ in Canton. Chain or not, this place Really makes Vets, Safety Forces & First Responders feel special & the food is excellent too. At noon daily, they play The Star Spangled Banner & ALL stand. All food made fresh on premises daily & they do not have a freezer or microwave.

I have a real soft spot for Mission BBQ.

Mike

Yes and they are sincere about respecting the First Responders and service people. Really nice folks.

WSS

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Westside Steve said:

I've been to Old Carolina twice and thought that it sucked out loud. Yes city is out on Market Street in Fairlawn. Royal Oak looks very cool.

WSS

Actually, Ridgewood Rd.....but yes, the time I went there it was quite bad.

11 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Actually, Ridgewood Rd.....but yes, the time I went there it was quite bad.

No City Barbecue is actually on West Market Street like I said.

WSS

15 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

Is City BBQ the new place out on Market in Fairlawn? I've had Mission BBQ, it's on par with Old Carolina BBQ, another local BBQ place. 

This is the Royal Oaks I was talking about, the longest-running bar in Youngstown... 

2b31fe60d8f7ef49e53a32b9e07146fa--royal-oak-dive.jpg

And featured on BAR RESCUE! It did need some sprucing up plus maybe fumigation......but without losing it's real dive bar charm.

Used to go there when I went to YSU.   http://www.vindy.com/news/2016/oct/13/a-year-after-bar-rescue-oaks-and-federal/

The Spike-TV reality series aired its show on The Royal Oaks on Oct. 18, and The Federal on Oct. 25.

At the one-year anniversary, it’s obvious that the changes made at both bars have proven to be effective.

The expensive physical makeovers that show host Jon Taffer made – not to mention the changes in menu and management mentality – are still on display and in effect.

The new look at the Oaks was the most stark, like night and day. The dark and dingy bar had become a museum of questionable curios, and a lot of them weren’t exactly family-friendly.

The place had tons of character but not enough customers.

Co-owners John and Louie Kennedy had some discussion about bringing back the offbeat memorabilia. But they ultimately decided to keep the bar the way Taffer & Co. left it: brighter and simpler, with its historic charm restored.

The bar’s rear room went from a cluttered clubhouse with a dartboard to a decent place to sit down with the family for a plate of ribs.

“We were always a dive bar with good food,” said John Kennedy. “It wasn’t uncommon for foodies to make the drive from Canfield and Boardman for the food, but the atmosphere wasn’t conducive to family-style eating. The biggest change was cleaning up the back room. Now, you don’t have to look at what’s on the walls and be offended. And I love the fact that people treat us like a restaurant now, and we are getting more and more new faces in here.”.......CONTINUED.......

12 minutes ago, Westside Steve said:

No City Barbecue is actually on West Market Street like I said.

WSS

Oh, OK, I thought you meant  Old Carolina.

I have never been to City BBQ....didn't even know about it..  How is it?

11 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Oh, OK, I thought you meant  Old Carolina.

I have never been to City BBQ....didn't even know about it..  How is it?

Excellent.

WSS

• Thanks 1

Since we are still in the sports dead zone until March Madness, MLB and yes NFL and NCAA football kicks back in gear but I'm always looking for GAMEDAY or even just EVERYDAY meals.

We had pork chops, mashed potatoes and corn for supper -but- only a half pack of panko bread crumbs and a full box of regular seasoned bread crumbs so the wife mixed them.......came out pretty good, maybe better than either. 

Like the old saying "necessity is the mother of invention"........and might taste good too. :) 

7 hours ago, mjp28 said:

Since we are still in the sports dead zone until March Madness, MLB and yes NFL and NCAA football kicks back in gear but I'm always looking for GAMEDAY or even just EVERYDAY meals.

We had pork chops, mashed potatoes and corn for supper -but- only a half pack of panko bread crumbs and a full box of regular seasoned bread crumbs so the wife mixed them.......came out pretty good, maybe better than either. 

Like the old saying "necessity is the mother of invention"........and might taste good too. :) 

I had leftover chicken meat from all parts of the chicken and run through a food processor, then added Miracle Whip and threw it between two slices of wheat bread. Think I'll have some more of that leftover Auslese as a chaser.🤩

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

Today St. Patrick's Day we had a variation of a to-cheese or hot ham and cheese sandwich:

Some really good chipped corn beef with some creamy mild Kerry Irish swiss cheese on Jewish rye cooked on our stove grill pan pressed to finish came out delicious!

Add some French's yellow mustard and mayo, tater tots for a change and green & black olives......nice lunch!

• Upvote 1

That looks beautiful jcam. 

I might have licked my laptop screen. 

Don't judge me. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Dutch Oven said:

Don't judge me. 

I reserve that activity for the cheerleader thread.

Don't judge me until you hit 72. 😂

• Haha 2

40 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

I reserve that activity for the cheerleader thread.

Don't judge me until you hit 72. 😂

Ok, you ol' pervert...I'M 72, so consider yourself judged!!  :P:lol:

12 hours ago, Canton Mike said:

Ah, thanks you for the endorsement in that case my fellow ol' pervert.🤩

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, Canton Mike said:

Lol I probably licked my first laptop cheerleader at 22 guess that makes me an ultra perve HAHA

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

Don't judge me. 

Thanks Dutch, I love cooking. Have been working on my food presentation skills. I’ve got it in my mind food is in my semi retirement plan hopefully sooner than later lol

• Upvote 1

PIZZA ~~~~~~ FOOTBALL ~~~~~~ GAMEDAY FOOD! Not busy this weekend?  (It's less than 2 miles from my house.)

Screenshot_2019-03-19-17-59-19.png

Screenshot_2019-03-19-18-00-24.png

We are having broiled or grilled (not sure yet) tuna patty melts with probably American cheese on Jewish rye for Friday's NCAA MM basketball 

Retirement cooking is nice.  :D

2 hours ago, mjp28 said:

We are having broiled or grilled (not sure yet) tuna patty melts with probably American cheese on Jewish rye for Friday's NCAA MM basketball 

Retirement cooking is nice.  :D

Tuna with American cheese?              I can't think of a worse combination.             How about just cold asparagus out of a can?                  🤮

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Tuna with American cheese?              I can't think of a worse combination.             How about just cold asparagus out of a can?                  🤮

Goes together great.  Ya'll never had a tuna melt?

29 minutes ago, DieHardBrownsFan said:

Goes together great.  Ya'll never had a tuna melt?

I'd use something better than American cheese on anything, tuna included. That stuff is not cheese, it's yellow cat crap.

2 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

I'd use something better than American cheese on anything, tuna included. That stuff is not cheese, it's yellow cat crap.

It has it's place on a hamburger. Or a grilled cheese. Velveeta is another story, may agree with you there. Though I do have one nacho dip recipe that calls for it.

• Upvote 1

I ate a ham sandwich, a banana, and a piece of coffee cake while watching the NCAA's yesterday.  And I drank some Dasani water.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Actually that oooey goooey American or Velveeta cheese does have it's spots because it does melt well like in grilled cheese sandwiches and melts.

BUT I haven't decided yet, we have provolone, mozzarella, pepper jack and some Irish Kerry Gold swiss cheese in the refrigerator.

..........might be a gametime decision real soon!  :P