THE BROWNS BOARD

• Favorite GAMEDAY food ? ..... Dine in, carryout, *delivery or make at home.

mjp28

7 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

I know you all remember that rum I always recommend, Diplomatico Reserva Exclusiva. Well the renowned magazine call Wine Enthusiast (Larry can confirm that) named it the 2018 Spirit of the Year against all classes of spirits including rums, whiskeys, scotches, etc. Anyway, thought you might like to know for starting off next season right. Participation Trophy for all who imbibe.🤩🏆

Beats the hell outta what I drank once celebrating a promotion & relocation in the Army.....I celebrated with a 6 pack of Colt45 (16 ouncers) & a pint of Bacardi.....I have never been drunker or sicker in my life!! (I was 19 then. I'm lots older & a wee bit smarter now)

Mike

17 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

I know you all remember that rum I always recommend, Diplomatico Reserva Exclusiva. Well the renowned magazine called Wine Enthusiast (Larry can confirm that) named it the 2018 Spirit of the Year against all classes of spirits including rums, whiskeys, scotches, etc. Anyway, thought you might like to know for starting off next season right. Participation Trophy for all who imbibe.🤩🏆

Just caught this Ag....  don't get Wine Enthusiast, though I've seen plenty of their issues...  Away from home for a day or two, but I'll pour myself a generous snort when I get home in honor of their achievement... 

PS- at the Friday night Wine swill at our local restaurant, current issues of the The Wine Spectator were available. If you're planning on living until 90, the 2016 left bank Bordeaux (Margaux et al) are supposedly spectacular... And from personal experience, the 2015 (Spectator says right bank Pomerols & Saint Emilions) were just as good.  I haven't tasted a 2015 Bordeaux yet at any price point that I didn't think was well worth the money...  But you can debate if any wine priced on the high side of $100 is worth it....   :)

4 hours ago, hoorta said:

Just caught this Ag....  don't get Wine Enthusiast, though I've seen plenty of their issues...  Away from home for a day or two, but I'll pour myself a generous snort when I get home in honor of their achievement... 

PS- at the Friday night Wine swill at our local restaurant, current issues of the The Wine Spectator were available. If you're planning on living until 90, the 2016 left bank Bordeaux (Margaux et al) are supposedly spectacular... And from personal experience, the 2015 (Spectator says right bank Pomerols & Saint Emilions) were just as good.  I haven't tasted a 2015 Bordeaux yet at any price point that I didn't think was well worth the money...  But you can debate if any wine priced on the high side of $100 is worth it....   :)

I'll stick to my $40 Cab or my $13 Zin.🍷🤩

On 12/27/2017 at 9:47 AM, mjp28 said:

Chicago Italian Beef Sandwich....I think the sweet roasted red peppers would do it! mjp

1371587273164.jpeg

Sounds good Dutch, for those of you interested look back to December 2017 on this thread for the receipe on this treat.......a break from plain old steak sandwiches!

On ‎2‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 6:57 AM, TexasAg1969 said:

I'll stick to my $40 Cab or my $13 Zin.🍷🤩

And to help with that, as well as more expensive, I would recommend vivino.

https://www.vivino.com/

It gives very good reviews on just about every wine you can imagine.  When in a store looking, you can go to the app on your phone and take a picture of the label.  It will give reviews and a good selling point to see if you are getting a good deal or not.

I also have collected wine for decades and am in more the drink down phase then the collecting phase.  I too drink plenty of wines in the$20-$40 range.  Using that app helps me find those treasures.  

As excited as I get drinking one of my 40 year old bottles, I get just as excited when I find a wine in the $30 range that tastes as good and is as complex as a wine in the $150 range.  That is a good value IMO.

• Upvote 1

Tonight GAMEDAY meal NJ's homemade Beef Stew the only thing missing is the GAME. C'mon March Madness, MLB, The Draft........ ;)

On 2/27/2019 at 6:03 PM, mjp28 said:

Tonight GAMEDAY meal NJ's homemade Beef Stew the only thing missing is the GAME. C'mon March Madness, MLB, The Draft........ ;)

Have something for the NFL Combine starting today through Monday. Let me see what's in the Leftovers Department. Chicken rice soup, Central Market Cheese and Caramel Popcorn and the perfect wine for both, a fine, sweet Auslese Riesling from the Mosel region.🤩

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Have something for the NFL Combine starting today through Monday. Let me see what's in the Leftovers Department. Chicken rice soup, Central Market Cheese and Caramel Popcorn and the perfect wine for both, a fine, sweet Auslese Riesling from the Mosel region.🤩

Yes that's why soup, stew, chili are nice for quick easy leftovers. We have one tiny bowl of the wife's beef stew left for today......delicious!  :)

8 minutes ago, DieHardBrownsFan said:

Arby's fish sandwich, mac and cheese, Miller High Life.

I was pleasantly surprised how much better Arby's fish sandwich is than my old favorite McDonald's.

1 hour ago, Dutch Oven said:

You shouldn't have been. 

Filet-o-Fishes are the aquatic version of McRibs. 

And I even don't want to think what McRibs are made out of....   Compressed burger leftovers? 

3 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

Very similar to hot dogs, I'd guess. 

Lips and assholes. 

Ummmmm.... *ding* oooops wrong thread. :blush:

So Dutch did you try your Chicago Italian Beef Sandwiches?

1 hour ago, Dutch Oven said:

I did... I put a beef roast in a crockpot for 8 hours on low with broth and a ton of Italian spices, garlic, etc... Let it cool and refridgerated it, then sliced it real thin and warmed it up the next day on a nice crusty roll of bread, covered with giardiniera and roasted red peppers. Pretty damn tasty! 

Sounds good, definite GAMEDAY meal.  I have not had one in awhile wife was in her casserole kick recently and I never got my order in. :( 

Will try it in the future, you know my love of steak sandwiches since 1968, my first year in college at YSU some 50 years ago at the great old Tony's Hideaway. (still have the tee shirts somewhere)

Tonight my wife was out running errands and she stopped at Jersey Mike's she got a chicken caesar wrap I got a #56 BIG KAHUNA CHEESESTEAK with grilled onions and peppers with mushrooms and jalapeños and extra cheese. Yummy. :D

13 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

Chili, cheese and onions! 

Makes me want to drive out to Youngstown (Girard) and go to Jib Jab Hot Dog Shoppe. Gotta get some chili cheese fries with the dogs, too. 

Oh yeah the legendary Jib Jab going waaaay back to the old Winkie's site before moving to their "new" site about 40 (+/-) years ago......makes you hungry for a sack of dogs!

Or ocassionally I get hungry for hot dogs with homemade sauerkraut and Tabasco like the old Stanley's on Salt Springs Rd, old mill food and that goes back 50+++ years ago.

Legendary Youngstown area mill food. We had some great ol' mom & pa shops, still have a few left.

....... edit add, The Jib Jab Hot Dog Shoppe in Girard serves thousands of patrons a day. While most can’t agree on which location (Girard, Warren, East Liverpool) is the best, everyone agrees one hot dog is never enough.

https://businessjournaldaily.com/jib-jab-hot-dog-shoppe-2/

Oh BTW I had an apartment in Girard when I went to YSU......my old hangout. ;)

Need some quick and cheap GAMEDAY food?    (I can hear Dutch getting his car keys now. :lol: )

Screenshot_2019-03-03-13-29-07.png

Screenshot_2019-03-03-13-29-01.png

Screenshot_2019-03-03-13-29-39.png

5 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

If I go as far as Girard, I might as well just go down south on 680 and go to the Royal Oak for some bbq. 

Or keep going east to Hermitage to Combine Bros.... Really good Italian food. 

Both City BBQ and Mission BBQ in Akron and Canton respectively are great even if they are chains. I thought you meant Royal Oak Michigan there for a minute.

WSS

20 minutes ago, Westside Steve said:

Both City BBQ and Mission BBQ in Akron and Canton respectively are great even if they are chains. I thought you meant Royal Oak Michigan there for a minute.

WSS

As a Vietnam Vet, I have NEVER been treated better & with more respect than at Mission BBQ in Canton. Chain or not, this place Really makes Vets, Safety Forces & First Responders feel special & the food is excellent too. At noon daily, they play The Star Spangled Banner & ALL stand. All food made fresh on premises daily & they do not have a freezer or microwave.

I have a real soft spot for Mission BBQ.

Mike

• Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Canton Mike said:

As a Vietnam Vet, I have NEVER been treated better & with more respect than at Mission BBQ in Canton. Chain or not, this place Really makes Vets, Safety Forces & First Responders feel special & the food is excellent too. At noon daily, they play The Star Spangled Banner & ALL stand. All food made fresh on premises daily & they do not have a freezer or microwave.

I have a real soft spot for Mission BBQ.

Mike

Yes and they are sincere about respecting the First Responders and service people. Really nice folks.

WSS

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

Is City BBQ the new place out on Market in Fairlawn? I've had Mission BBQ, it's on par with Old Carolina BBQ, another local BBQ place. 

This is the Royal Oaks I was talking about, the longest-running bar in Youngstown... 

2b31fe60d8f7ef49e53a32b9e07146fa--royal-oak-dive.jpg

And featured on BAR RESCUE! It did need some sprucing up plus maybe fumigation......but without losing it's real dive bar charm.

Used to go there when I went to YSU.   http://www.vindy.com/news/2016/oct/13/a-year-after-bar-rescue-oaks-and-federal/

The Spike-TV reality series aired its show on The Royal Oaks on Oct. 18, and The Federal on Oct. 25.

At the one-year anniversary, it’s obvious that the changes made at both bars have proven to be effective.

The expensive physical makeovers that show host Jon Taffer made – not to mention the changes in menu and management mentality – are still on display and in effect.

The new look at the Oaks was the most stark, like night and day. The dark and dingy bar had become a museum of questionable curios, and a lot of them weren’t exactly family-friendly.

The place had tons of character but not enough customers.

Co-owners John and Louie Kennedy had some discussion about bringing back the offbeat memorabilia. But they ultimately decided to keep the bar the way Taffer & Co. left it: brighter and simpler, with its historic charm restored.

The bar’s rear room went from a cluttered clubhouse with a dartboard to a decent place to sit down with the family for a plate of ribs.

“We were always a dive bar with good food,” said John Kennedy. “It wasn’t uncommon for foodies to make the drive from Canfield and Boardman for the food, but the atmosphere wasn’t conducive to family-style eating. The biggest change was cleaning up the back room. Now, you don’t have to look at what’s on the walls and be offended. And I love the fact that people treat us like a restaurant now, and we are getting more and more new faces in here.”.......CONTINUED.......

Since we are still in the sports dead zone until March Madness, MLB and yes NFL and NCAA football kicks back in gear but I'm always looking for GAMEDAY or even just EVERYDAY meals.

We had pork chops, mashed potatoes and corn for supper -but- only a half pack of panko bread crumbs and a full box of regular seasoned bread crumbs so the wife mixed them.......came out pretty good, maybe better than either. 

Like the old saying "necessity is the mother of invention"........and might taste good too. :) 

7 hours ago, mjp28 said:

Since we are still in the sports dead zone until March Madness, MLB and yes NFL and NCAA football kicks back in gear but I'm always looking for GAMEDAY or even just EVERYDAY meals.

We had pork chops, mashed potatoes and corn for supper -but- only a half pack of panko bread crumbs and a full box of regular seasoned bread crumbs so the wife mixed them.......came out pretty good, maybe better than either. 

Like the old saying "necessity is the mother of invention"........and might taste good too. :) 

I had leftover chicken meat from all parts of the chicken and run through a food processor, then added Miracle Whip and threw it between two slices of wheat bread. Think I'll have some more of that leftover Auslese as a chaser.🤩

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Today St. Patrick's Day we had a variation of a to-cheese or hot ham and cheese sandwich:

Some really good chipped corn beef with some creamy mild Kerry Irish swiss cheese on Jewish rye cooked on our stove grill pan pressed to finish came out delicious!

Add some French's yellow mustard and mayo, tater tots for a change and green & black olives......nice lunch!

• Upvote 1