THE BROWNS BOARD

• Favorite GAMEDAY food ? ..... Dine in, carryout, *delivery or make at home.

mjp28

16 hours ago, flyingfooldoug said:

Anyone play around with lobster Mac and cheese, or shrimp lobster Mac and cheese? It took me a bit to actually try it. The name doesn’t suggest 5 star but once it finally hit my taste buds, I’m hooked. I double dawg dare you to try it!

Is this fresh made and do you have a recipe.? 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Today's football fair will be fresh cut raw veggies - green & red peppers, cherry tomatoes, sliced cucumbers, sweet petite carrots and a small bowl of light dill dip to go with them.

Drinking fair will be a Bottle of 2016 Juan Gil Silver Label Jumilla (Spanish red wine) as recommended by hoorta. If I like it I will stock up because @ $11.70 a bottle  with my vet's cash discount it may be the steal that hoorta described to me. I trust his judgement of red wines for sure.

3 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Today's football fair will be fresh cut raw veggies - green & red peppers, cherry tomatoes, sliced cucumbers, sweet petite carrots and a small bowl of light dill dip to go with them.

Drinking fair will be a Bottle of 2016 Juan Gil Silver Label Jumilla (Spanish red wine) as recommended by hoorta. If I like it I will stock up because @ $11.70 a bottle  with my vet's cash discount it may be the steal that hoota described to me. I trust his judgement of red wines for sure.

It's currently 13 degrees here and we got probably over a foot of snow last night.  Having Wings (chinese style) marinated overnight in select liquids and spices, baked with rice and miso soup.

• Upvote 2

The AFC & NFC GAMEDAY meals today:

3 pm - Pimento stuffed Spanish Manzilla olives, small salad with thousand island, thick breaded oven roasted pork chops with potatoes, onions, carrots......ummmmm still stuffed.

Tonight (whenever) bologna sandwiches with provolone on dark pumpernickel and lettuce, chips and whatever. Mmmmmm. :D

The SB LIII GAMEDAY - TBD. 

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, mjp28 said:

The AFC & NFC GAMEDAY meals today:

3 pm - Pimento stuffed Spanish Manzilla olives, small salad with thousand island, thick breaded oven roasted pork chops with potatoes, onions, carrots......ummmmm still stuffed.

Tonight (whenever) bologna sandwiches with provolone on dark pumpernickel and lettuce, chips and whatever. Mmmmmm. :D

The SB LIII GAMEDAY - TBD. 

Around games & snow related duties, I have snacked & drank beer today. Just one of those days.

Mike

Cheap frozen pepperoni pizza doctored up with extra sauce, cheese, some bacon, and canadian bacon, (hey it's around 10 degrees here Dayton way) but finished off with a 2011 Columbia Crest Cabernet Reserve that was heavily discounted from $50 down to $20..  Us guys on retirement income are always on the lookout for bargains...  

Currently watching the Lunar eclipse through broken clouds...   

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Drinking fair will be a Bottle of 2016 Juan Gil Silver Label Jumilla (Spanish red wine) as recommended by hoorta. If I like it I will stock up because @ $11.70 a bottle  with my vet's cash discount it may be the steal that hoorta described to me. I trust his judgement of red wines for sure.

I have only had it out to eat. Seems to me tho that you would just take your favorite Mac and cheese and stir in a bit of lobster meat. I bet crab would be good too. One place is serving a fish sandwich with a scoop of lobster mac and cheese on it. Now that’s some good stuff Maynard

Normally this is done over coals but I opted for the easy (lazy) route. 

I had seven beef back rib bones that got a couple coats of olive oil and rub. I foiled them and left them in a 250° degree oven for five hours, then broiled to get a crust.

My only complaint about beef ribs is the amount of flesh. The first two ribs on the shoulder end are nice and meaty. Towards the short loin end, they cut them a little slim...there's so much meat on the prime rib roast a butcher can spare a little less for the roast and more for the ribs. 

2 hours ago, flyingfooldoug said:

I have only had it out to eat. Seems to me tho that you would just take your favorite Mac and cheese and stir in a bit of lobster meat. I bet crab would be good too. One place is serving a fish sandwich with a scoop of lobster mac and cheese on it. Now that’s some good stuff Maynard

Basically, you are correct.  It's best to boil your own lobster, then use the water you boiled the lobster in to boil your pasta.  Otherwise, just tossing some lobster meat in the mac and cheese is somewhat bland.  It tastes like mac and cheese with some lobster in it.

Don't toss that lobster water down the drain.  Reserve it after cooking to use if you need to thin out the dish a bit.

4 hours ago, ballpeen said:

Basically, you are correct.  It's best to boil your own lobster, then use the water you boiled the lobster in to boil your pasta.  Otherwise, just tossing some lobster meat in the mac and cheese is somewhat bland.  It tastes like mac and cheese with some lobster in it.

Don't toss that lobster water down the drain.  Reserve it after cooking to use if you need to thin out the dish a bit.

I hear using the shells imparts a lot of flavor too. 

2 hours ago, DieHardBrownsFan said:

If I want bug meat (lobster) I'll eat it (never).  

:) Lobster is only recently deemed an edible critter, at least in America.  In my trip out to the Maine coast Bar Harbor way I found out back in colonial times lobsters were so plentiful, they'd wash up on the shore after a big storm. Farmers prized them so highly- they'd gather them up, and toss them on their fields- for fertilizer.  :)  

One thing I did get a charge out of as a side trip that time was visiting the Boston Aquarium, and getting to see Larry the Lobster- the putative world's biggest, weighing in at 52 pounds.   

11 hours ago, DieHardBrownsFan said:

If I want bug meat (lobster) I'll eat it (never).  

Had a friend once who was averse to ever trying crawfish. So I invited him over for baby lobster tails on the grill. He loved those baby lobster tails in draw butter and wondered where I had gotten them. So I told him they were in season if you walked up the tributary to Horsetooth Reservoir near Ft. Collims at night with a flashlight and just picked them out of the stream. Now he thought lobsters were saltwater so I explained that in Colorado they were freshwater and in Louisiana they called them crawfish.  LOL! He kept right on eating them though.😂🦐

So any special SUPER BOWL LIII plans, parties or eats in the works? 

We would lkke to hear them.  ;)

1 hour ago, mjp28 said:

We would like to hear them.  ;)

Our host calls it the Soup-er Chilli bowl.  Bring soup or chilli, or whatever.... 20-30 folks in attendance...  Much wine and beer will be swilled.  Including the magnum (that's 1.5 liters for non wine folks) of the last of my stash of 1982 Chateau Pavie that's been sitting in his wine cellar since summer....  Some come for the football, some come for the wine, some come for the food, some who watch just one game a year come to watch the commercials... 

I just might do something simple  like this quick and easy nacho dip. 1\3 browned Italian sausage, 1\3 velveeta, and 1\3 salsa at a heat level you're comfortable with.  Melt in microwave until hot and cheese is melted... We did some tonight watching the Senior Bowl. Wife doesn't like heat, so her choice is Pace Picante Mild.  I heated my portion up with Melinda's XXXX Reserve Habanero.  Break out the beer when you turn up the heat...  

Getting late, but if I want to spend a couple hours in the kitchen- I'll post the recipe for my Swiss onion soup when I get a chance... Chicken stock base with gruyere cheese...  Us winos have lots of great recipes... but usually the prep time required is proportional to  how great it turns out in the end...  

• Upvote 1

As promised... it upscales well to 12 servings...  Prep time is at least two hours... 

SWISS ONION SOUP

Serves 4

3 cups thinly diced onions

1 garlic clove, minced

3\4 t dry mustard

1-1\2 t salt

5 T. Unsalted butter

2 cups chicken stock

3 T flour

1-1\2 cups milk

1\2 t bottled horseradish

1 T Dry Sherry

1-1\2 cups grated gruyere 6 oz

1\2t pepper

1\2 t Soy Sauce

3 drops Tabasco

1\4 t Worcestershire 

Cook onion & garlic in 2 T butter with salt and mustard over moderate heat 10-12 minutes or until onion is soft 

Add stock, and simmer covered for 20 minutes 

In a saucepan melt 3 T butter, add flour & cook for 3 minutes 

Remove from heat, add milk and simmer for 7 minutes while stirring 

Add horseradish, sherry, & gruyere- combine well 

Combine with onion mixture 

Stir in pepper, soy, Tabasco, Worcestershire & simmer 10 minutes

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, hoorta said:

As promised... it upscales well to 12 servings...  Prep time is at least two hours... 

SWISS ONION SOUP

Serves 4

3 cups thinly diced onions

1 garlic clove, minced

3\4 t dry mustard

1-1\2 t salt

5 T. Unsalted butter

2 cups chicken stock

3 T flour

1-1\2 cups milk

1\2 t bottled horseradish

1 T Dry Sherry..........

Oh yeah!  :)

On 1/27/2019 at 11:34 PM, mjp28 said:

We would lkke to hear them.  ;)

Whoa it's going to be in the 40s and 50s this week so we're grilling! Saturday will be chicken, Sunday will be NY Strip Steaks on the grill. :D

Like hoorta we love onion soups including a new recipe from us  French Onion Chicken.

French Onion Chicken

1 hour to prepare serves 4-6

• INGREDIENTS
  • 2 pounds Vidalia onions, sliced
  • 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs (we also like skin on)
  • 2 cups beef broth
  • 1 cup swiss cheese, grated
  • 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil, divided
  • 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried sage
  • Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste

PREPARATION

1. Preheat oven to 350º F.
  2. Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large, oven-proof pan or skillet over medium heat. Add onions, season with salt and cook, stirring occasionally, for 15-20 minutes, or until softened and caramelized.
  3. Add balsamic vinegar and cook for another 3-5 minutes or until darkened, but not burned.
  4. Remove onions from heat and transfer to a medium bowl.
  5. Heat remaining olive oil in skillet and raise heat to medium-high.
  6. Season chicken breasts with salt, pepper, thyme and sage, then place in skillet and sear on both sides until golden brown. Remove chicken from heat and set aside.
  7. Pour beef broth into skillet and bring mixture to a boil, scraping up stuck bits from the bottom of pan.
  8. Return heat to medium-low and whisk in flour, stirring until smooth. Cook for 5-7 minutes, or until mixture has thickened. Taste and adjust seasoning, if necessary.
  9. Return chicken and onions to pan, stir together with beef gravy, then top with grated swiss cheese.
  10. Transfer skillet to oven and cook until cheese is melted and bubbly, and chicken is cooked through.
  11. Remove from oven and serve hot. Enjoy!

french_onion_chicken_skillet_vertical_4.jpg

• Upvote 1

PS to mjp- if you decide to do the swiss onion soup-use regular yellow onions, not sweet vidalias...  and use decent gruyere...  

As I said, us winos have lots of wine friendly recipes some of the folks in our group could have opened restaurants if they had the mind.   

1 hour ago, hoorta said:

PS to mjp- if you decide to do the swiss onion soup-use regular yellow onions, not sweet vidalias...  and use decent gruyere...  

As I said, us winos have lots of wine friendly recipes some of the folks in our group could have opened restaurants if they had the mind.   

We still have a nice herb garden but no regular garden, we grew white, yellow and red onions for different dishes. We had a HUGE garden at my old house.

On wine that's my wife's thing and her guru Ina Garten although I like wine in cooking in chicken and beef.

Cold weather means soup for me and one of my faves has always been loaded baked potato soup. I have been doing a keto diet for about 8 months now so cannot have potatoes. Check out this soup even if you arent keto. I guarantee you will love it as wierd as the ingredients may sound.  Note I used my home cured and smoked lean bacon. . You may need more bacon and drain a bit if using normal store bacon. I can say too I was very pleased there’s not the slightest hint of the cauliflower flavor in the finished soup!

Here we go, dice and fry 1 lbs. bacon in pan, set aside a couple handfuls. To the rest add 2 lbs. cut up radishes, two cut up bunches of green onion(greens and all,save a little green for garnish)and 2 tsp minced garlic. Add 4 tbsp of butter. Fry until radishes are soft enough for a nice mouthfeel like potato. While frying time to use the the Instant Pot. One head of cut up cauliflower, 4 cups chicken broth , 1 tsp pepper, 1 tsp leaf sage and add the bacon you set aside. Set for 10 minutes manual. Once done release pressure. Add 8 oz. cream cheese and cream this all with an immersion blender. Note it is important to not put the cream cheese in until after pressure cooking. Stir in the radish bacon mix from frying pan. Voila done done. Serve garnishing with chive, bacon and cheddar. Hope you enjoy 😉 ESTIMATE 🙂 Makes 8 servings , net carbs roughly 7. Mostly from radishes, cream cheese and cauliflower. Could be a little more or less depending on the bacon and broth you use. Can reduce about 1 net carb per serving by using half the amount of radish but we wanted it chunky.

I served this to several people and none knew it wasn't potato. 540650186_fakedpotato1.thumb.jpg.ec3f1f35d9a631ba28b00d3302a77377.jpg1419105343_fakedpotato2.thumb.jpg.7e39adddc2184e0c11726619b4ad5b2b.jpg

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, DieHardBrownsFan said:

Going to be -4 during  the day tomorrow and maybe up down to -12 at night.  Then 44 on Sunday an maybe in the low fifties on Monday.  Maybe a steak?

I'll even fire up my Weber when it's in the low 20s...  :) 40s- 50s means I'll get the bike out before the game...  My outdoor bicycling stops at 20 degrees, as long as the roads are clear... with a wind chill around zero. 50 degrees on the bike is a non-issue for me, doesn't limit me time wise, colder that 40, your toes start getting cold after an hour or so...  (But they wouldn't if I wasn't getting so damn lazy in my old age, and swap out the pedals (for non-cyclists, there's several kinds) so I can use my  Arctic Celsius winter cycling boots  that are good down into the 20s.)   LOL, best $200 dollar present the wife ever got me for Christmas...   

Har, used to be "a dip in the jet stream". Polar vortex sounds so much more threatening...  

FIFY. But don't get me started on The Weather Channel. Their goal is to dumb the entire country down to Atlanta Georgia weather standards. Stop acting like it's the end of the world.... Like it's never gotten down to -30, -40 in Minnesota- or North Dakota before.  Those folks know how to deal with that kind of cold, ya wimps...   

• 3 weeks later...

I know you all remember that rum I always recommend, Diplomatico Reserva Exclusiva. Well the renowned magazine call Wine Enthusiast (Larry can confirm that) named it the 2018 Spirit of the Year against all classes of spirits including rums, whiskeys, scotches, etc. Anyway, thought you might like to know for starting off next season right. Participation Trophy for all who imbibe.🤩🏆

• Thanks 1