THE BROWNS BOARD

• Favorite GAMEDAY food ? ..... Dine in, carryout, *delivery or make at home.

mjp28

20 hours ago, hoorta said:

PS the Hoorta had a fine Christmas swilling with some wine appreciative company.  As I like to call them "church wines", because on my retirement budget- they're not replaceable anymore.  For the ladies that don't like red- a 2005 Selbach Oster riesling auslese. We thought it was muy bueno. We just put out trays of stuff like bread, crackers, various cheeses, cappacola, prosciutto, etc no need to do any heavy kitchen stuff. Big wines of the day were a 1990 Chateau Leoville Poyferre, and a 1983 Cockburn vintage port. Both quite yum.  :)   

Got a bottle of Santa Teresa 1796 Solera rum from Venezuela for Xmas and tasted it side by side with my Diplomatico. It was good, but still have not found the elusive rum that can beat the Diplomatico Reserva Exclusiva. 

In-laws brought a 2016 Francis Ford Coppola Director's Cut Pinot Noir which went very well with ham or turkey. One bottle for the ham at out house Xmas Eve and the other for the turkey at my daughter's for Xmas Day dinner. It was a very nice light red wine when compared to Cabs or Zins.

5 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Got a bottle of Santa Teresa 1796 Solera rum from Venezuela for Xmas and tasted it side by side with my Diplomatico. It was good, but still have not found the elusive rum that can beat the Diplomatico Reserva Exclusiva. 

In-laws brought a 2016 Francis Ford Coppola Director's Cut Pinot Noir which went very well with ham or turkey. One bottle for the ham at out house Xmas Eve and the other for the turkey at my daughter's for Xmas Day dinner. It was a very nice light red wine when compared to Cabs or Zins.

Still haven't broken t he seal of the Diplomatico Reserva Exclusiva.  But I plan too on New Years eve.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, DieHardBrownsFan said:

Still haven't broken t he seal of the Diplomatico Reserva Exclusiva.  But I plan too on New Years eve.

Sounds like the name of a premium cigar. Ah the world of aficionados and connoissurs whatever your favorite area is about.

1 hour ago, TexasAg1969 said:

1796? Was that the year they made it?  :D I only bring that up because for many years I thought my bottles of Lustau 1918 Oloroso sherry were vintage dated. It's very unusual, though not unheard of to find a vintage dated sherry. We opened one of the several I had saved back in June so we could say we drank a 100 year old wine.  Turns out that was the year Lustau was founded, not the age of the wine.   

1 hour ago, mjp28 said:

Sounds like the name of a premium cigar. Ah the world of aficionados and connoisseurs whatever your favorite area is about.

Though wine is my area of expertise, I'll defer to Ag on the Diplomatico Reserva. It's the finest rum I've ever tasted, bar none. It's the rum equivalent of a top shelf cognac or bourbon. 

14 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

For the last game of the season I'll be making lasagna. I use hot Italian sausage instead of hamburger, and with the ricotta I put a layer of cappacola on top of it, and spinach under. (It's like an Italian flag inside the lasagna!) I'll start making the sauce Saturday, probably use some of it to make some chicken parmigiana for us to eat that night, then I'll slap the lasagna together Sunday morning and bring it down with us to Columbus for our (after) XMas get-together. I'll bake it there. Tasty! 

Sounds delicious. Post up pics 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, hoorta said:

1796? Was that the year they made it?  :D I only bring that up because for many years I thought my bottles of Lustau 1918 Oloroso sherry were vintage dated. It's very unusual, though not unheard of to find a vintage dated sherry. We opened one of the several I had saved back in June so we could say we drank a 100 year old wine.  Turns out that was the year Lustau was founded, not the age of the wine.   

Though wine is my area of expertise, I'll defer to Ag on the Diplomatico Reserva. It's the finest rum I've ever tasted, bar none. It's the rum equivalent of a top shelf cognac or bourbon. 

You guessed it. The distillery was founded in 1796.

11 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

You guessed it. The distillery was founded in 1796.

And the USA was founded in 1776 the distillery was a real early start up.

The good ol' USA the melting pot of good things like food, spirits, etc. from all over the world but by far the real engine of innovation and industry.

1 hour ago, mjp28 said:

And the USA was founded in 1776 the distillery was a real early start up.

The good ol' USA the melting pot of good things like food, spirits, etc. from all over the world but by far the real engine of innovation and industry.

Venezuelan Independence Day was declared by that Spanish colony July 5, 1811 so they must have all had a good toast to the occasion with Santa Teresa Rum.🤩

Today I can actually get the game on Direct TV, so it's Pop Secret Movie Theater Butter Popcorn and a Coke Zero for the early games and for the Browns at halftime a large Chicken Tamale in green chili sauce with another Coke. Got eggnog rum if needed for losing (or for winning).🤩

• 2 weeks later...

Well playoff GAMEDAY meals this weekend:

Saturday we had black olives, New England Clam Cowder and some black forest ham, hard salami sandwiches with swiss on Italian bread. 

Sunday one of my cold weather favorites oven roasted chicken with potatoes, onions and carrots and our home grown herbs......yum! :D

......edit add, sometimes more expensive is better sometimes not. We've been ordering our can goods through the Amazon Prime Pantry, easier on the wife's shopping (her department) not loading and unloading all the extra stuff, delivered right to our door.

I like their everyday black olives better than Lindsay and others. I also do like to get the better soups at decent prices......how does Amazon do it?

Edited by mjp28
  • Upvote 1

15 hours ago, mjp28 said:

Well playoff GAMEDAY meals this weekend:

Saturday we had black olives, New England Clam Cowder and some black forest ham, hard salami sandwiches with swiss on Italian bread. 

Sunday one of my cold weather favorites oven roasted chicken with potatoes, onions and carrots and our home grown herbs......yum! :D

......edit add, sometimes more expensive is better sometimes not. We've been ordering our can goods through the Amazon Prime Pantry, easier on the wife's shopping (her department) not loading and unloading all the extra stuff, delivered right to our door.

I like their everyday black olives better than Lindsay and others. I also do like to get the better soups at decent prices......how does Amazon do it?

Today I'm opening a bottle of Clio 2015 from Jumilla, Spain and having it with Lasagna. First sip was yummy!!!🍷😋

"Elegant . Blueberry . Red Fruit . Full-bodied

Jumilla, Spain- An elegant, full-bodied blend of 60+ year old Monastrell (70%) and 30+ year old Cabernet Sauvignon (30%) showing an expressive nose of wood, vanilla and blueberries followed by a luscious, well-balanced palate filled with ripe red fruits ending in an impressive finish."

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Today I'm opening a bottle of Clio 2015 from Jumilla, Spain and having it with Lasagna. First sip was yummy!!!🍷😋

Jumilla, Spain- An elegant, full-bodied blend of 60+ year old Monastrell (70%) and 30+ year old Cabernet Sauvignon (30%) showing an expressive nose of wood, vanilla and blueberries followed by a luscious, well-balanced palate filled with ripe red fruits ending in an impressive finish."

My wife, the resident wine drinker here, had Maderia Sangria with her chicken. I had diet coke. :lol:

11 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

:) Back when we had our wine appreciation class at the University of Dayton- our students universally loved it. When we were discussing Spanish wines, I'd always open up an "extra credit" bottle of Clio after class for those who wanted to try it.  OTOH- my very wine knowledgeable pal Bob declares Clio to be a fruit bomb of little redeeming value... My assertion that it's a structured fruit bomb falls on deaf ears.....  There's layers of complexity on the taste, and the bouquet isn't too shabby either...  BTW, Bob doesn't much care for Clio when it's aged either. Humbug- we've opened bottles with 10+ years of age on them, and thought they were holding up quite nicely....  

As I tell folks when I try to describe it- a Spanish wine made from French grapes in an Australian style....   

• Upvote 1

And from our own backyard from The Food Network:

31 Regional Pizza Styles   https://www.foodnetwork.com/restaurants/photos/best-pizzas-in-the-country0

Encompassing newer Italian imports as well as famous rivalries (New York vs. Chicago, anyone?) and lesser-known specialties like Omaha-style pizza and Colorado Mountain pies, here's a guide to the regional pizza styles of the U.S.

Screenshot_2019-01-15-19-47-27.png

Screenshot_2019-01-15-19-47-42.png

Screenshot_2019-01-15-19-52-31.png

• Upvote 1

A great GAMEDAY meal or just a quick and easy everyday meal.

Garlic Mushroom Chicken Thighs  
Prep Time  10 mins  Cook Time  15 mins  = TOTAL TIME 25 MINUTES!
Golden seared chicken thighs in a delicious, buttery garlic mushroom sauce with a sprinkle of herbs is THE weeknight dinner everyone raves about! Serve over rice, pasta, mashed potatoes OR lower carb options like mashed cauliflower or zucchini noodles! 
Course: Dinner  Cuisine: American  Keyword: Chicken Thighs  Servings: 6 people  Calories: 206 kcal  Author: Karina

Ingredients
For The Chicken:
  • 1 1/2 pounds (700g) boneless skinless chicken thighs (around 6-8 fillets)
  • 1 teaspoon each onion powder and garlic powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon each of dried thyme and rosemary
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon cracked black pepper
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
For The Sauce:
  • 1 tablespoon butter
  • 8 ounces (250 g) sliced brown mushrooms
  • 4 cloves garlic, minced (or 1 tablespoon minced garlic)
  • 1 tablespoon fresh chopped parsley
  • 1/2 - 1 teaspoon each of dried thyme and dried rosemary (adjust to your taste)
Instructions

1. Pat chicken thighs dry with paper towel and trim off excess fat. Combine the onion powder, garlic powder, herbs, salt and pepper. Coat the chicken evenly with the combined seasoning.

2. Heat 1 tablespoon of oil a large pan or skillet over medium-high heat and sear chicken thighs in batches until browned on each side and no longer pink in centre (about 8 minutes each side, depending on thickness). Add remaining oil if needed for second batch. Transfer to a plate; set aside and keep warm.

3. To the same pan or skillet, melt the butter and add the mushrooms. Season with salt and pepper and cook until soft (about 3 minutes). Add the garlic, parsley, thyme and rosemary; sauté until fragrant (about 1 minute).

4. Return chicken to the pan. Taste test and season with salt and pepper to your taste. Garnish with fresh parsley. Serve immediately.

Recipe Notes

*You CAN use fresh herbs if you have them! 2 teaspoons each of fresh herbs is fine. If you don't like Thyme or Rosemary, substitute with Basil and Oregano, or use Tarragon. 

Optional: For even more amazing flavour, add in 1/3 cup dry white wine with your mushrooms and cook it down to half before adding the chicken back into the pan.

Nutrition Facts
Garlic Mushroom Chicken Thighs

Amount Per Serving
Calories 206 Calories from Fat 99

% Daily Value*
Total Fat 11g   17%
Saturated Fat 3g   15%
Cholesterol 112mg   37%
Sodium 198mg   8%
Potassium 261mg   7%
Total Carbohydrates 2

Garlic-Mushroom-Chicken-Thighs-IMAGE-1.jpg

• Upvote 1

Chicken (or turkey) wings or fingers are fun, drumsticks are better -but- thighs are my favorite!

GO BROWNS, TRIBE or BUCKEYES......with the munchies of course!

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

I think I'm going to move in with mjp and his wife. 😂

Serves me right for being with an Irish chick. An Irish seven course meal is a potato and a six-pack of beer. 

Corned Beef is just a supermarket Deli trip away...   

• Upvote 1

OK here's another GAMEDAY or ANYDAY quick and easy meal ready in about 20 minutes......less than a trip to burgerworld, and all can be tweaked to your individual dietary requirements.

Creamy Garlic Butter Tuscan Shrimp 

Prep Time  5 mins    Cook Time   15 mins  = TOTAL TIME 20 MINUTES!   

Creamy Garlic Butter Tuscan Shrimp coated in a light and creamy sauce filled with garlic, sun dried tomatoes and spinach! Packed with incredible flavours!

Course: Dinner  Cuisine: American  Servings4 people  Calories403 kcal  AuthorKarina

Ingredients
  • 2 tablespoons salted butter
  • 6 cloves garlic, finely diced
  • 1 pound (500 g) shrimp (or prawns), tails on or off
  • 1 small yellow onion, diced
  • 1/2 cup white wine (OPTIONAL)
  • 5 oz (150 g) jarred sun dried tomato strips in oil, drained (reserve 1 teaspoon of the jarred oil for cooking)
  • 1 3/4 cups half and half SEE NOTES
  • Salt and pepper, to taste
  • 3 cups baby spinach leaves, washed
  • 2/3 cup fresh grated Parmesan cheese
  • 1 teaspoon cornstarch (cornflour) mixed with 1 tablespoons of water (optional)***
  • 2 teaspoons dried Italian herbs
  • 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
Instructions
  1. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Melt the butter and add in the garlic and fry until fragrant (about one minute). Add in the shrimp and fry two minutes on each side, until just cooked through and pink. Transfer to a bowl; set aside.
  2. Fry the onion in the butter remaining in the skillet. Pour in the white wine (if using), and allow to reduce to half, while scraping any bits off of the bottom of the pan. Add the sun dried tomatoes and fry for 1-2 minutes to release their flavours.

3. Reduce heat to low-medium heat, add the half and half and bring to a gentle simmer, while stirring occasionally. Season with salt and pepper to your taste.
  4. Add in the spinach leaves and allow to wilt in the sauce, and add in the parmesan cheese. Allow sauce to simmer for a further minute until cheese melts through the sauce. (For a thicker sauce, add the milk/cornstarch mixture to the centre of the pan, and continue to simmer while quickly stirring the mixture through until the sauce thickens.)
  5. Add the shrimp back into the pan; sprinkle with the herbs and parsley, and stir through.
Serve over pasta, rice or steamed veg.
Recipe Notes

Half and half is an American product, made from equal parts light cream and milk. Feel free to use half light cream and half 2% milk (or full fat if not worried about calories and fat counts), in place of half and half. Alternatively, use all light cream or heavy cream. Substitute half and half with almond milk.

If serving with pasta: add in pasta cooked al dente along with 1/4 cup of reserved pasta water into the pan of shrimp once they are cooked. Gently mix through the sauce until combined. Serve immediately.

Nutrition Facts
Creamy Garlic Butter Tuscan Shrimp

Amount Per Serving
Calories 403Calories from Fat 135

% Daily Value*
Total Fat 15g23%
Saturated Fat 9g45%
Cholesterol 332mg111%
Sodium 1346mg56%
Potassium 1531mg44%
Total Carbohydrates 16g5%
Dietary Fiber 5g20%
Sugars 18g
Protein 39g78%

Vitamin A61.1%
Vitamin C39.5%
Calcium43.2%
Iron37.5%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.

Creamy-Garlic-Butter-Tuscan-Shrimp-104.jpg

6 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

Since Snowmageddon starts tomorrow morning, making some stuffed pepper soup for the weekend.

Super good, super easy. 

Grew up eating a lot of cabbage rolls and stuffed peppers. My mom would put chopped chicken livers in the beef/rice mixture that would send them over the top.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

Since Snowmageddon starts tomorrow morning, making some stuffed pepper soup for the weekend.

Super good, super easy. 

My Bride made  stuffed pepper soup yesterday. Great with garlic bread & beer. Just picked up some Old Leghumper (Thirsty Dog Brewing) & Conway's Irish Ale (Great Lakes Brewing).

Mike

• Upvote 1

I learned of my new game day coffee.

No more drippy coffee makers.

Make Cowboy Coffee.

about a quart of water in a pan, let the water warm up good, add 1/4 cup of your favorite coffee,

and rolling boil it up for a few minutes.

The grounds settle on the bottom, after a few minutes - or Kent Rollins

says you can pour just a bit of cold water around the top edge...

it's amazing. That is why I have missed the old perc coffee makers.

Next auction/garage sale item to find - old stainless steel perc coffee pot.

3 hours ago, Canton Mike said:

My Bride made  stuffed pepper soup yesterday. Great with garlic bread & beer. Just picked up some Old Leghumper (Thirsty Dog Brewing) & Conway's Irish Ale (Great Lakes Brewing).

Mike

I make stuffed green peppers from time to time, but I'm not familiar with stuffed pepper soup. How do you do that?

8 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

I make stuffed green peppers from time to time, but I'm not familiar with stuffed pepper soup. How do you do that?

Bill, there are many various recipes online. Just brown the beef, chop the peppers, and throw it in the crockpot with your other ingredients. I like food a good bit spicier than Colleen does, so I grind black peppercorns in it & maybe add some hot sauce after I fill my bowl.

Mike

This is as good as soup gets!! (my "tweeks" are in bold). I got this recipe from the Ohio Game Fishing website:

Here is one of my favorite cold weather recipes. It feeds 6 people.

1.5 pds. mild or hot italian sausage (I always use 1/2 mild & 1/2 hot & I prefer Giant Eagle's)
3-4 cups beef broth (I use beef STOCK & always add up to 32 oz more if soup gets too thick)
1 (28oz) can crushed or pureed tomatoes
1 onion chopped
1 large carrot chopped
1 square package frozen chopped spinach
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
salt and pepper to taste (I ONLY use fresh cracked pepper)
1 package frozen CHEESE tortellini

Remove sausage from casing and brown, break it up. Drain sausage and transfer to pot. add remaining ingredients to pot, EXCEPT TORTELLINI!!!! slow boil or simmer for at least 45min-1hr, until vegetables are tender. The longer you cook it, the thicker it will get. (I cook this in a crockpot on low, that's why the extra beef stock).
5-10 min before serving, place tortellini in pot.
Tips##
Make sure you buy CHEESE tortellini

Beware, addiction is possible.

Mike

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, Canton Mike said:

This is as good as soup gets!! (my "tweeks" are in bold). I got this recipe from the Ohio Game Fishing website:

Here is one of my favorite cold weather recipes. It feeds 6 people.

1.5 pds. mild or hot italian sausage (I always us e 1/2 mild & 1/2 hot & I prefer Giant Eagle's)
3-4 cups beef broth (I use beef STOCK & always add up to 32 oz more if soup gets too thick)

Beware, addiction is possible.

Mike

We have done well with our local GE meats in Boardman, there are two ours is the Boardman/Poland store. We also like a good beef broth/stock soup!

14 hours ago, Canton Mike said:

Bill, there are many various recipes online. Just brown the beef, chop the peppers, and throw it in the crockpot with your other ingredients. I like food a good bit spicier than Colleen does, so I grind black peppercorns in it & maybe add some hot sauce after I fill my bowl.

Mike

Down here we call that beef and sausage chili podnah. Just throw out the cheese and add chili pepper powder.😋🤠