THE BROWNS BOARD

• Favorite GAMEDAY food ? ..... Dine in, carryout, *delivery or make at home.

mjp28

On ‎8‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 2:08 PM, TexasAg1969 said:

Diplomatico Reserva Exclusiva -  Venezuelan -- hoorta will back me up on that one. Greatest sipping rum ever. About $35 or so. May be less at Coast Guard Exchange.

Won a double gold best in class and best overall rum 2 or 3 years ago in the S.F. International Spirits contest.

Just got my bottle.  Only one they had so I lucked out.  Cost 28.00 at the CGX.  Diplomatico Reserva Exclusiva with a picture of Ron Antiguo on it.  So do you mix it with coke or just straight?  Not going to drink a lot at one time.  May be a shot on opening day.

17 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

How much exactly does a grossly overpriced burger cost? 

One 6 ounce burger, side of onion straws, one scoop of ice cream. 20% "service charge" + small optional tip = $32. 

2 hours ago, DieHardBrownsFan said:

Just got my bottle.  Only one they had so I lucked out.  Cost 28.00 at the CGX.  Diplomatico Reserva Exclusiva with a picture of Ron Antiguo on it.  So do you mix it with coke or just straight?  Not going to drink a lot at one time.  May be a shot on opening day.

Ag & me will tell you it's a sipping rum, really smooth. Doing a shot of it or mixing it is a waste. Rum and coke? Use Bacardi or something similar. Good price BTW.

2 hours ago, hoorta said:

One 6 ounce burger, side of onion straws, one scoop of ice cream. 20% "service charge" + small optional tip = $32. 

My daughter visited and brought over some Allen Brothers Prime hamburgers (6 oz each).  They were really good.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

Sweet Jesus, you weren't kidding. 

Regarding food charges at the Racquet Club-  you pay for the view- and the exorbitant rent they're probably paying for the top floor. 

10 hours ago, DieHardBrownsFan said:

It's best either straight or on the rocks if you want more of the pure flavors it carries. Sip slowly and try to identify those flavors from front to back of the mouth. I like to sniff it a bit too. I have never mixed it, nor have I ever even diluted it with rocks. And I take about a shot and a half and sip it slowly while reading so it lasts a good half hour or so. It's definitely a sipping rum more than a mixing rum.

12 hours ago, DieHardBrownsFan said:

Rum, whiskey, scotch, etc......NEVER mix the good stuff!...EVER!!!

Mike

• Upvote 1

Just now, Canton Mike said:

Rum, whiskey, scotch, etc......NEVER mix the good stuff!...EVER!!!

Mike

Words of wisdom, enjoy while you're watching the BROWNS games or whatever. 

Do you guys ever use those fake reusable ice cubes for cooling drinks? What temperature do you like your sipping whiskey or other spirits?

2 minutes ago, mjp28 said:

Do you guys ever use those fake reusable ice cubes for cooling drinks? What temperature do you like your sipping whiskey or other spirits?

Anymore, I'm a beer guy. I do have a set of Browns' shot glasses surrounding a 5th of Bushmills Irish Whiskey that will get a workout with the first win.

I have never even looked at fake ice cubes & I'm not "techie" enough to worry about temperature. IF I have ice, it's 2 small cubes in about 3 shots of whiskey.

When we beat the Steelers, it's a shot of Bushmills chased with an Old Leghumper porter.

Mike

2 hours ago, mjp28 said:

Never use the fake ice cubes. Room temp for the booze straight. The only thing that sees ice is some of my private selection 1792 cask strength 114 proof bourbon. That's too much of a good thing. I do have some Tito's in the freezer though. For price\value- Titos blows the 2-3X pricier Grey Goose, Belvedere, Cirroc, et al away. 

Talk about the power of suggestion- I just poured some of my one and only bottle of single barrel select 1792. 62.5%.  The story is- one of our wine group is as good a bourbon taster as I am with wine. Every year- the guys take a trip down to Kentucky for a tasting at a different distillery. They taste- and then buy the whole barrel. Ray is so good at it, it took me two years to get off the waiting list to actually get a bottle or two. I'll say this much, even as a bourbon goober- I can tell the difference between the 1792 single barrel and the straight run stuff.  Last year, it was Russell Reserve- it's a step up from Wild Turkey- Eddie Russell is the master distiller for both. One last word about bourbon. Those guys willing to spend $1,000+ to say they scored some Pappy van Winkle for their liquor cabinet are out of their freaking minds. The Larry's Law of Logarithmic diminishing returns is on display in spades. 

For those who have never been to one of our annual Tailgate reunions- I supply shots of Orange Curacao- the real stuff from the Island, domestic imitations are garbage. Sort of difficult to find. 

On 8/26/2018 at 12:22 AM, hoorta said:

.......For those who have never been to one of our annual Tailgate reunions- I supply shots of Orange Curacao- the real stuff from the Island, domestic imitations are garbage. Sort of difficult to find. 

Yes it looks tricky to find but I go back to my source for everything now Amazon to start. 121 hits of various kinds:

Screenshot_2018-08-27-09-08-02.png

2 hours ago, The Gipper said:

I assume that you are not familiar with the famous Orange Sheet-e  that we consume at the tailgates:

Senior_Curacao_Orange.jpg

They've changed the label a little since, but note "The Genuine". The real stuff from the island. Accept no cheap imitations or domestic knockoffs. I make an occasional restocking trip south of the border to Newport Kentucky to The Party Source- the supermarket of booze. Worth a stop if you're ever in the area. https://thepartysource.com/

1 hour ago, hoorta said:

They've changed the label a little since, but note "The Genuine". The real stuff from the island. Accept no cheap imitations or domestic knockoffs. I make an occasional restocking trip south of the border to Newport Kentucky to The Party Source- the supermarket of booze. Worth a stop if you're ever in the area. https://thepartysource.com/

I know zip about those tutti-frutti drinks. I'm  an old steelworker boilermaker guy......whiskey and beer!

2 hours ago, mjp28 said:

I know zip about those tutti-frutti drinks. I'm  an old steelworker boilermaker guy......whiskey and beer!

I can look out my window and see the Boilermakers Union Hall, AFL-CIO 900.  I look right at it as I type.   And two doors down, a beer joint.  In between?  A holistic medicine/smoothie/massage therapy shop.  How did that get in there??!!

I swear this is the last cookbook I'll buy for a long time before I go into cookbook rehab. The Essential James Beard Cookbook: 450 Recipes That Shaped the Tradition of American Cooking,  400 pages and a really balanced selection of classic American food. 

I also almost NEVER, EVER buy new but I get used hardback books in good or better condition I got the above book delivered to my house for less than $10 in like new condition with a dust cover.

It would be part of an essential or base cookbook collection, and some good GAMEDAY FOODS!

Biography

James Beard (1903­-1985) was an American cookbook author, syndicated columnist, teacher, and television personality. Designated the "dean of American cookery" by the New York Times, Beard laid the foundations for generations of amateur and professional food enthusiasts. After publishing his first cookbook in 1940, Beard went on to host the NBC cooking show I Love to Eat. In 1955 he founded the James Beard Cooking School, where he taught for many years. Over the course of his career, Beard wrote countless cookbooks, including several seminal works, and he inspired and influenced chefs throughout the world. His legacy lives on through the James Beard Foundation, established in his honor to provide scholarships and awards recognizing excellence in the culinary arts.

Screenshot_2018-09-01-12-32-26.png

2 hours ago, mjp28 said:

I swear this is the last cookbook I'll buy for a long time before I go into cookbook rehab. The Essential James Beard Cookbook: 450 Recipes That Shaped the Tradition of American Cooking,  400 pages and a really balanced selection of classic American food. 

I also almost NEVER, EVER buy new but I get used hardback books in good or better condition I got the above book delivered to my house for less than $10 in like new condition with a dust cover.

It would be part of an essential or base cookbook collection, and some good GAMEDAY FOODS!

Biography

James Beard (1903­-1985) was an American cookbook author, syndicated columnist, teacher, and television personality. Designated the "dean of American cookery" by the New York Times, Beard laid the foundations for generations of amateur and professional food enthusiasts. After publishing his first cookbook in 1940, Beard went on to host the NBC cooking show I Love to Eat. In 1955 he founded the James Beard Cooking School, where he taught for many years. Over the course of his career, Beard wrote countless cookbooks, including several seminal works, and he inspired and influenced chefs throughout the world. His legacy lives on through the James Beard Foundation, established in his honor to provide scholarships and awards recognizing excellence in the culinary arts.

Screenshot_2018-09-01-12-32-26.png

Image result for Martha Stewart smiling pic

Anyone doing any special GAMEDAY meals or tailgating for the September 9, 2018 Pittsburgh at CLEVELAND season opening game?

We're deciding between pizza -or- something on the grill.

I will have my favorite sipping rum ready to toast the victory or drown the sorrow. Might have a steak chaser ready for the coals. And if it's a really special win I'll break out a very good Cabernet from the wine fridge to go with that steak. And if we tromp 'em good I'll open a Bordeaux instead! Those take a lot longer to develop in the bottle.

Well Saturday's GameDay food is my new and best ever steak sandwich which comes with a side of decent fries from the Longhorn Steakhouse about 1.5 miles from our house.

The Shaved Prime Rib Sandwich  $12.99 not cheap but delicious cut in half can make two nice snacks! Prime rib, mushrooms, onions, melted cheese, ummmmm.

Shaved Prime Rib Sandwich 1040 calories for you health nuts. 

d-shaved-prime-rib-sandwich-gv1x1-5-16-17.jpg

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, mjp28 said:

Well Saturday's GameDay food is my new and best ever steak sandwich which comes with a side of decent fries from the Longhorn Steakhouse about 1.5 miles from our house.

The Shaved Prime Rib Sandwich  $12.99 not cheap but delicious cut in half can make two nice snacks! Prime rib, mushrooms, onions, melted cheese, ummmmm.

Shaved Prime Rib Sandwich 1040 calories for you health nuts. 

d-shaved-prime-rib-sandwich-gv1x1-5-16-17.jpg

Have  to try that.

On 9/5/2018 at 7:26 AM, TexasAg1969 said:

I will have my favorite sipping rum ready to toast the victory or drown the sorrow. Might have a steak chaser ready for the coals. And if it's a really special win I'll break out a very good Cabernet from the wine fridge to go with that steak. And if we tromp 'em good I'll open a Bordeaux instead! Those take a lot longer to develop in the bottle.

I got my bottle of the good stuff you recommended.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, DieHardBrownsFan said:

We'll have that in Ohio soon I would bet.  

I remember it got voted down last time which btw was smart all shops should be independently owned 

we also have a awesome ice cream's that have thc in it a fantastic way to finish off dinner and watch a game or a movie

Well we decided on our favorite Wedgewood Pizza for opening day for the BROWNS and leftovers for MNF.

With the rains coming later the grill will sit another week or so. :)

• Upvote 1