THE BROWNS BOARD

• Favorite GAMEDAY food ? ..... Dine in, carryout, *delivery or make at home.

mjp28

You know I like Philly Steaks and steak sandwiches in general,  here's a GAMEDAY or any day variation......the zucchini are starting to roll in now.

Cheesesteak Zucchini Boats

YIELDS:SERVINGS     PREP TIME:HOURS MINS      TOTAL TIME:HOURS 30 MINS
INGREDIENTS

zucchini, halved lengthwise
1/4 c. extra-virgin olive oil, divided
Kosher salt
Freshly ground black pepper
large onion, chopped
bell peppers, thinly sliced
cloves garlic, minced
1 lb. sirloin steak, thinly sliced  <----  OPTION: Can use your favorite steak here if desired.
1 tsp. dried oregano
2 c. shredded provolone
2 tbsp. freshly chopped parsley, for garnish

DIRECTIONS

1. Preheat oven to 350°. Score zucchini (like you’re dicing an avocado) and scoop out insides into a large bowl to use later. Transfer zucchini boats to a large baking dish. Brush with about 1 tablespoon olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Bake until just tender, about 15 minutes.
  2. Meanwhile, in a large skillet over medium heat, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil. Add onion, peppers, and scooped out zucchini then season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring often, until vegetables are tender, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat. 
  3. Increase heat to medium-high and add remaining tablespoon of olive oil. Add steak in a single layer, working in batches if necessary, and season with oregano, salt and pepper. Cook until seared all over, about 2 minutes per side. Remove from heat. 
  4. Fill zucchini boats with cooked vegetables and steak, then top with provolone. Bake until cheese is melted and bubbly, about 10 minutes. Garnish with parsley.

Screenshot_2018-07-21-09-08-32.png

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone doing any preseason  special GAMEDAY meals? We're doing Wedgewood Pizza for Thursday and Friday this week, ummmmm tastes even better with football. 

On 7/21/2018 at 9:24 AM, mjp28 said:

You know I like Philly Steaks and steak sandwiches in general,  here's a GAMEDAY or any day variation......the zucchini are starting to roll in now.

Cheesesteak Zucchini Boats

YIELDS:SERVINGS     PREP TIME:HOURS MINS      TOTAL TIME:HOURS 30 MINS
INGREDIENTS

zucchini, halved lengthwise
1/4 c. extra-virgin olive oil, divided
Kosher salt
Freshly ground black pepper
large onion, chopped
bell peppers, thinly sliced
cloves garlic, minced
1 lb. sirloin steak, thinly sliced  <----  OPTION: Can use your favorite steak here if desired.
1 tsp. dried oregano
2 c. shredded provolone
2 tbsp. freshly chopped parsley, for garnish

DIRECTIONS

1. Preheat oven to 350°. Score zucchini (like you’re dicing an avocado) and scoop out insides into a large bowl to use later. Transfer zucchini boats to a large baking dish. Brush with about 1 tablespoon olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Bake until just tender, about 15 minutes.
  2. Meanwhile, in a large skillet over medium heat, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil. Add onion, peppers, and scooped out zucchini then season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring often, until vegetables are tender, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat. 
  3. Increase heat to medium-high and add remaining tablespoon of olive oil. Add steak in a single layer, working in batches if necessary, and season with oregano, salt and pepper. Cook until seared all over, about 2 minutes per side. Remove from heat. 
  4. Fill zucchini boats with cooked vegetables and steak, then top with provolone. Bake until cheese is melted and bubbly, about 10 minutes. Garnish with parsley.

Screenshot_2018-07-21-09-08-32.png

We often stuff zucchini boats like this and grill them. So many different combos you can stuff with. These look great. My wife and I are 6 months into keto so these are a primo recipe for us. 

9 minutes ago, jcam222 said:

We often stuff zucchini boats like this and grill them. So many different combos you can stuff with. These look great. My wife and I are 6 months into keto so these are a primo recipe for us. 

Oh yes zucchini the perfect grilling,  chilling,  stuffing, whatever food plus economical and good for you.  We love to cook and eat well when I see something delicious, quick and easy, interesting either economical or gourmet I send an email to a group of friends a couple times a month. Plus we have a ton of cookbooks,  nice hobby...... and we're both RETIRED NOW! 

CRISPY PARMESAN GARLIC CHICKEN WITH ZUCCHINI -  one pan meal, quick easy better than KFC

Prep time  5 mins  Cook time  20 mins  = Total time 25 mins

Crispy Parmesan Garlic Chicken with Zucchini is a fantastic one pan meal that the family will love! The chicken is so tender and breaded with an amazing parmesan garlic crust and the zucchini is sautéed in a delicious buttery parmesan garlic!
The Recipe Critic - Author: Alyssa  Serves: 4

INGREDIENTS
2 Chicken Breasts, sliced in half, or 4 thin chicken breasts
8 Tablespoons butter, divided
½ cup Italian Bread Crumbs
½ cup plus 1 Tablespoon grated parmesan, divided
¼ cup flour
2 medium zucchini, sliced
2 garlic cloves, minced

INSTRUCTIONS

In a large skillet over medium heat melt 2 Tablespoons butter. To make the chicken: Melt remaining 4 tablespoons of butter in a shallow dish. In another shallow dish combine bread crumbs, parmesan cheese, and flour. Dip the chicken in the butter and then coat in the bread crumb mixture and place in skillet.

Cook on each side for about 3-4 minutes until the outside is crispy and the chicken is cooked throughout. Set aside on plate.

Add 2 Tablespoons of butter back to the skillet and saute the minced garlic for a minute. Add the zucchini to the skillet and saute until tender. Salt and pepper to taste and add some 1 Tablespoon parmesan. Add the chicken back to the skillet and heat for a minute or so. Serve immediately.

crispyparmesangarlicchickenwithzucchini2crop-1.jpg

• Upvote 2

damnit im getting hungry tonight is gonna be easy chicken breasts with Italian dressing of a marinate and zucchini and squash lightly oiled on the grill Bristol is on tonight and is one of the few races I still enjoy don't have time to be bothered doing to much 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

How the hell did I get n the Martha Stewart Network?😂🍗🥩🥣🥑🍍🍖

Take a hard left at the political chat thread.  :lol:

It's GAMEDAY foods!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, syd said:

damnit im getting hungry tonight is gonna be easy chicken breasts with Italian dressing of a marinate and zucchini and squash lightly oiled on the grill Bristol is on tonight and is one of the few races I still enjoy don't have time to be bothered doing to much 

Whenever you see or think about zucchini you can add or include squash also delicious and tender.

........damn it does sound like Martha Stewart in here, but she can cook!

On 7/21/2018 at 8:59 AM, mjp28 said:

Try something different lately? I did, saw there you can order a delivered PAPA JOHN'S PIZZA online and if you enter 25DISC in the PROMO CODE you get 25% off your entire order.....on your Discover Card.

A few weeks ago, got 8 wings (tiny) large thin crust pizza (lousy) and chocolate chip cookies  (not bad), a $3.00 delivery charge NOT THE TIP, plus tip about  $30. You can track your pizza entirely online, from order/cook/box/out for delivery. Not a good pizza.

Well I just tried a deep dish large (I measured it, it was 12" not really large), $19.99 delivered with tip.....it was awful!! Not cooked right, soggy, half is still in the frig.

Live and learn, never again, NOT GAMEDAY FOOD. I'm sticking with WEDGEWOOD PIZZA!  :D

Ditto for the National chains- Papa John's is junk. same can be said for Pizza Hut. I you're going national brand, Domino's is about the best. Second the opinion- stick to the local guys you know and love that don't spend millions on advertising. GEICO- you listening? That has to be 25% of their budget.  

On 8/18/2018 at 6:27 PM, DieHardBrownsFan said:

I like fish sticks and swansons tv dinners.

^^^^ Jail food or maybe kindergarten .  :lol:

We want delicious manly food even some tasty food that can be good for you is acceptable. GAMEDAY doesn't always have to be super carbs or all fat doesn't necessarily  have to cost a lot either.

At our house we try to get rid of white or brown bag or white box every week......just occasionally. 

5 hours ago, hoorta said:

Ditto for the National chains- Papa John's is junk. same can be said for Pizza Hut. I you're going national brand, Domino's is about the best. Second the opinion- stick to the local guys you know and love that don't spend millions on advertising. GEICO- you listening? That has to be 25% of their budget.  

Jets pizza is very good.  Not sure if it's national or not.

6 hours ago, DieHardBrownsFan said:

Jets pizza is very good.  Not sure if it's national or not.

One of the guys sometimes brings Jet's to our football parties, it's OK. They're a relatively small chain, 300 or so stores. I'd have a 8 mile drive to their nearest store though.

So here's a new thing I decided to add to my ongoing grilling and smoker obsession. These are sugar free bread and butter pickles made from scratch and they are the bomb!! Did a gallon or so to start with. So big a hit I am already working up another two gallons of them. Making a version with horseradish in them as well. Also have about 3 gallons of cold pack half sour garlic dills that will be ready Thursday.

pickles in pot.jpg

pickle jar.jpg

• Upvote 1

On 8/18/2018 at 6:31 PM, mjp28 said:

Whenever you see or think about zucchini you can add or include squash also delicious and tender.

........damn it does sound like Martha Stewart in here, but she can cook!

I don't do zucchini, or anything else in the squash family. Or cauliflower- and a couple other veggies. 

20 hours ago, mjp28 said:

^^^^ Jail food or maybe kindergarten .  :lol:

We want delicious manly food even some tasty food that can be good for you is acceptable. GAMEDAY doesn't always have to be super carbs or all fat doesn't necessarily  have to cost a lot either.

At our house we try to get rid of white or brown bag or white box every week......just occasionally. 

and a confession to make. You would think as a guy who likes great wines, I'd like a lot of high end foods. Not the case at all. Protein? Cow. Pig. That about covers it. (absolutely no internal organs, liver makes me quiver at the mere thought and smell of it) If it came out of the water, I don't eat it. Unless eggs are blended into something unrecognizable, no go there. Just the smell of a scrambled egg still get my stomach turning. Fowl is foul, I can barely choke down turkey buried in a mountain of cranberry sauce. Wings can fly to the Moon as far as I'm concerned. 

Oh, our usual game day Browns fare- besides the vino, includes cappacola ham, Italian beef, assorted cheeses, and occasional other stuff.  (Jet's Pizza) 

So last night was a lesser 2015 Bordeaux (a great vintage) with a grilled sirloin and a side of creamy risotto. I have lots of recipes my wino friends have shared- problem is, they're great- but Whoa Nellie- they're also time and labor intensive. I doubt I'll ever do that all day menu again slaving in the kitchen I did a few years ago for our University of Dayton wine\food experience. 

Curious? Main course- seared filet with a mushroom Madeira sauce. Mushrooms stuffed with cream cheese & chives topped with bacon and Italian blend cheese. Swiss onion soup (chicken broth + onion + Gruyere + seasonings). White chocolate Amaretto cream pie for dessert- about describes the primary ingredients. 

hoorta (if you want to try and broaden your horizons)  or you other guys we love french onion soup plus frequently like chicken dishes we definitely are going to try this one and I'll put up the real simple recipe later. A good halftime GAMEDAY or any day meal.

.....When we say this French onion chicken skillet is one of the best chicken dinners we’ve ever made, we are not exaggerating. Not even a little bit. For all you French onion soup lovers out there, get ready to have your minds blown; we turned one of our all-time favorite soups into a skillet dinner, adding chicken into the mix for some more protein and to make it a more well-rounded meal. But other than that, we prepared the onions almost exactly the same way we would to make the soup.....

French Onion Chicken Skillet  - 1 hour to prepare serves 4-6

This is seriously an outstanding dish. If you’ve got the time to whip it up on a weeknight – we find it relaxing to cook the onions – it’ll blow your family away, otherwise, you’ll be sure to impress any and all guests for whom you make it. Regardless of whether you even like onions (it’s impossible not to like these!), this dish is a certified winner, every time!

INGREDIENTS
2 pounds Vidalia onions, sliced
2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs  <----  NOTE: I prefer thighs!
2 cups beef broth
1 cup swiss cheese, grated
1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil, divided
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 teaspoon dried sage
Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste

PREPARATION
Preheat oven to 350º F.
Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large, oven-proof pan or skillet over medium heat. Season with salt and cook onions, stirring occasionally, for 15-20 minutes, or until softened and caramelized.

Add balsamic vinegar and cook for another 3-5 minutes or until darkened, but not burned.
Remove onions from heat and transfer to a medium bowl.
Heat remaining olive oil in skillet and raise heat to medium-high.

Season chicken breasts with salt, pepper, thyme and sage, then place in skillet and sear on both sides until golden brown. Remove chicken from heat and set aside.

Pour beef broth into skillet and bring mixture to a boil, scraping up stuck bits from the bottom of pan.
Return heat to medium-low and whisk in flour, stirring until smooth. Cook for 5-7 minutes, or until mixture has thickened. Taste and adjust seasoning, if necessary.

Return chicken and onions to pan, stir together with beef gravy, then top with grated swiss cheese.
Transfer skillet to oven and cook until cheese is melted and bubbly, and chicken is cooked through.

Remove from oven and serve hot. Enjoy!

french_onion_chicken_skillet_vertical_4.jpg

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, hoorta said:

If it came out of the water, I don't eat it.

Cal and I can tell you that you have no idea what you are missing from the wild. Cutthroat trout pan-fried in butter from the just broken ice in the Rawah Wilderness in northern Colorado, fresh live crawfish picked at midnight from the Horsetooth Reservoir tributary near Ft. Collins grilled over an open fire with the tails served with dipping melted butter and gigged flounder fillets wrapped in foil with spiced lemon-butter and placed in campfire coals at midnight on the backside of Matagorda Island on the Texas coast. Atmosphere is everything. Right cal? 🤩

Now just give us a nice ice-chilled white wine to go with those Larry. Those trips would be a mind changer. A Sauternes maybe?   🥂😁

• Thanks 1