Jump to content
mjp28

Favorite GAMEDAY food?..... Dine in, carryout or make at home.

Recommended Posts

9 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

I'll have a Yuengling for you buddy... and some ribs!

Ask any of the old timers there if they remember the down stairs Tomb (you could get your picture in the coffin there), Tony's owned by the mob, started many other fine bars from there or the B-house owned by a friend of mine who went on to open the Inner Circle pizza joint at YSU and others.

Oh the Oakes was a bookie joint back when we'd pop in but when the mills were running they all were bookie hangouts for the bug and sports all over the valley. 

Ahhhhh, memories. :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just smoked and pulled 30 lbs. of pork!! Its pretty damn hard to beat a plate of my pulled pork with some slaw. I would put it up against any pitmaster out there. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anthony Bourdain committed suicide in his honor we should close this thread

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, jcam222 said:

I just smoked and pulled 30 lbs. of pork!! Its pretty damn hard to beat a plate of my pulled pork with some slaw. I would put it up against any pitmaster out there. 

30# whoa that's a big pile of meat! What kind of smoker?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, mjp28 said:

30# whoa that's a big pile of meat! What kind of smoker?

Used my MES40 electric and also my big green egg. I love smoking and grilling meat. Really turning into a passion. Did 5 racks of spare ribs last weekend. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I make killer ribs.  The brothers in LBC dig them.  I make 3 full racks and only get 4 ribs to myself.  

 

Pork or beef.

 

Make my own dry rub.  Prep the ribs the say before.  Slit the ribs slightly and clean the back.   Out the rub on the ribs and fridge overnight.   Slow cook at 165 in oven for 6 to 7 hours.

Smother them bbq sauce and then to the grill.   Smother more bbq sauce to get them caramelized on the outside.   

I have marinated the ribs for 12 hours in pineapple juice before the dry rub stage before.

Edited by LBC mike
  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I bet that long in pineapple they were fall apart tender faster. I make a teriyaki marinade  with pineapple juice base and it really tenderizes. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, LBC mike said:

I make killer ribs.  The brothers in LBC dig them.  I make 3 full racks and only get 4 ribs to myself.  

 

Pork or beef.

 

Make my own dry rub.  Prep the ribs the say before.  Slit the ribs slightly and clean the back.   Out the rub on the ribs and fridge overnight.   Slow cook at 165 in oven for 6 to 7 hours.

Smother them bbq sauce and then to the grill.   Smother more bbq sauce to get them caramelized on the outside.   

I have marinated the ribs for 12 hours in pineapple juice before the dry rub stage before.

Damn the pineapple juice trick sounds good... and of course my girlfriend is allergic to pineapple... 🤣

The joint in Youngstown that I go to has an absolute killer spicy bbq/raspberry sauce. The Sheet is so damn good. There's a reason I drive a hour east to get it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

Damn the pineapple juice trick sounds good... and of course my girlfriend is allergic to pineapple... 🤣

The joint in Youngstown that I go to has an absolute killer spicy bbq/raspberry sauce. The Sheet is so damn good. There's a reason I drive a hour east to get it!

As long as she's not allergic to you.:lol:

So how was the Oakes? For you non Mahoning Valley guys it's an old Youngstown joint, it was featured on the Spike Bar Rescue show.....I think the owners needed rescued all right!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, mjp28 said:

As long as she's not allergic to you.:lol:

So how was the Oakes? For you non Mahoning Valley guys it's an old Youngstown joint, it was featured on the Spike Bar Rescue show.....I think the owners needed rescued all right!

The food was seriously the best I've ever had there. Its always good, but it was even better yesterday. The owners were both there, in different states of soberness... 🤣

If piss and death had an illegitimate child, it would smell like their men's bathroom yesterday. 

God I love that place! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Something unusual, my wife was running errands and was going to bring home Steak and Shake burgers on the 2 for $3 menu got there and the line was to the front door, the lady ahead said they were there almost an hour....forget that. 

Went to Jersey Mike's instead nobody in line, none at lunch time. She said the staff all looked like they were 16, ordered a Philly Steak for me girl asked if she wanted peppers, onions, cheese.....d'uh that's a Philly Steak. 

Got home in time for the 1 pm Indians game, the steak was good but the cheese wasn't quite right, I was surprised but it goes to show you you never know on one on any one visit what the food is like every time......but I hope it never happens again. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

all night in pineapple juice...oh, I'm going to have to try bbq'ing my first time grilling ribs with that idea.

I've marinated pork chops with water, apple cider vinegar and brown sugar in the past...that worked out great

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/9/2018 at 7:13 PM, The Gipper said:

Anthony Bourdain committed suicide in his honor we should close this thread

I would probably have to kill myself if I was forced to eat some of that wierd stuff from Parts Unknown. :)

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

all night in pineapple juice...oh, I'm going to have to try bbq'ing my first time grilling ribs with that idea.

I've marinated pork chops with water, apple cider vinegar and brown sugar in the past...that worked out great

Add some soy, sesame oil and ginger to the juice 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nineteen pages on a thread that comes down to just 3 words:   pizza,  chili, wings.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, The Gipper said:

Nineteen pages on a thread that comes down to just 3 words:   pizza,  chili, wings.

Grilling outside, steak sandwiches and of course good ethnic foods among many other GAMEDAY and other eats. :)

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, mjp28 said:

Grilling outside, steak sandwiches and of course good ethnic foods among many other GAMEDAY and other eats. :)

OH the Indians come on in 15 minutes,  we're having leftovers from having friends over yesterday :

Grilled chicken strips with three different Emeril's seasonings, ummmmm, make plenty great snacks!

Salad with Marzetti's Bleu cheese dressing, wife's homemade mac salad, crackers with dill dip, green and black olives, green onions......and almond cream cake, wife's favorite.  I'm also having a Sam Adams Boston Lager. C'Mon over! :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, mjp28 said:

Grilling outside, steak sandwiches and of course good ethnic foods among many other GAMEDAY and other eats. :)

Three words, all that is needed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, mjp28 said:

OH the Indians come on in 15 minutes,  we're having leftovers from having friends over yesterday :

Grilled chicken strips with three different Emeril's seasonings, ummmmm, make plenty great snacks!

Salad with Marzetti's Bleu cheese dressing, wife's homemade mac salad, crackers with dill dip, green and black olives, green onions......and almond cream cake, wife's favorite.  I'm also having a Sam Adams Boston Lager. C'Mon over! :D

You are obsessed with what goes in your gut.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

You are obsessed with what goes in your gut.

Obsessed, no. Enjoy good eating, yes!

I'm a good cook my wife is an excellent cook, she has to watch her cholesterol so we eat have a very good diet. We also rarely bring home burgers or pizza but do once in awhile. 

Oh we also have a massive cookbook collection and come from families that cook. Live a little Gip, expand your culinary horizons. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great cookbook is the first edition of the new York Times cookbook.  Blue cover.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ain't nothin' better'n my salmon baked with/served in my homemade blackberry preserves Black Seal rum sauce. Yummmmmmmmmmmmmmy!!!😋

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Ain't nothin' better'n my salmon baked with/served in my homemade blackberry preserves Black Seal rum sauce. Yummmmmmmmmmmmmmy!!!😋

recipe please.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Nineteen pages on a thread that comes down to just 3 words:   pizza,  chili, wings.

Jealous because your threads die after a page? 

4 hours ago, mjp28 said:

Grilling outside, steak sandwiches and of course good ethnic foods among many other GAMEDAY and other eats. :)

Today- lazy ribs picked up from Dorothy Lane Market with Rudy's  or Montgomery Inn BBQ sauce and cole slaw. Tomorrow, Prime NY strip with an appropriate wine. Probably Siendra, primarily grenache grape. 

4 hours ago, The Gipper said:

You are obsessed with what goes in your gut.

You are obsessed with trivia, so? 

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, LBC mike said:

Great cookbook is the first edition of the new York Times cookbook.  Blue cover.

The blue NYT cookbook is one of our absolute favorite  cookbooks all kinds of really good recipes not really exotic or strange stuff. I got it at a 4 books 4 bucks site maybe 20 years ago. 

If I were starting a beginner usable collection today......Better Homes, Good Housekeeping, any of the Barefoot Contessa, the blue New York Times, a good casserole cookbook and a must Weber Real Grilling by Jamie Purvaiance to start.

Decades ago when i was on the road I used to occasionally  look up church festivals, fairs, small town book sales for the bubba's cookbooks, a goldmine of recipes.

Our friends used to see our shelf of cookbooks and would buy them for us as gifts......we finally asked them to quit!

Bon Appétit! 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, DieHardBrownsFan said:

recipe please.

First...............catch a salmon. LOL!🐟

2nd find some lady at a local farmers market selling blackberry preserves. Barring that try Hero Blackberry Preserves or Bonne Maman (about 13 oz in a jar of either.). Or any brand that you particularly like that is decently thick.

3rd take about a pound or a little more if you wish and form a "boat" of heavy duty alum. foil around it to hem in the sauce so it kind of bastes in it as it cook. Place that in a deep glass dish of about the size to fit in the boat. That's just in case the boat doesn't hold.

4. Mix the preserves (the whole jar) with about a 1 1/2 shots of Black Seal Bermudan rum and just a tab bit of lime juice (maybe 1 tablespoon max-less if you want it sweeter)

5. Spread most of that mixture evenly over the salmon (skin down--meat up), but save a little for people to spoon a little fresh mixture over the cooked fish if they want.

6. Heat the oven to about 380 degrees and bake on the middle rack for about 30 minutes. To be sure it's done just use a fork to see if it flakes easily apart in the thickest part. Tales a little longer for a thicker filet from the salmon.

Serve it up and spoon out the sauce that bakes with the fish on top of each serving as much as desired by each person. I just leave a deep spoon there for them to decide and also the extra leftover uncooked sauce if they want a little more of a spread on top.

It's simple as anything but sure is good.😋

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/16/2018 at 8:16 PM, hoorta said:

Jealous because your threads die after a page? 

Today- lazy ribs picked up from Dorothy Lane Market with Rudy's  or Montgomery Inn BBQ sauce and cole slaw. Tomorrow, Prime NY strip with an appropriate wine. Probably Siendra, primarily grenache grape. 

You are obsessed with trivia, so? 

Be careful or I will load the board with trivia threads

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Be careful or I will load the board with trivia threadsBe careful or I will load the board with trivia

Trivia question of the day. How many trivia threads has Gip started from the final day of the draft through first KO for real in the past 5 years?😂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Trivia question of the day. How many trivia threads has Gip started from the final day of the draft through first KO for real in the past 5 years?😂

Is it over or under 10,000? :lol:

(Gip, we kid because we care.....really, we do.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mjp28 said:

Is it over or under 10,000? :lol:

(Gip, we kid because we care.....really, we do.)

It's either 49 or 144. Those sound like good numbers to use if you just make something up on the fly. LOL!🤴

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×