mjp28

Favorite GAMEDAY food? Dine in, carryout or make at home.

Just tried something new yesterday and finished it today watching Kluber now 9-2 and the INDIANS,  we had a gift card for the OUTBACK STEAK HOUSE.

Well we got the usual, bloomin' petals, Caesar salad, wife had the streak tacos (very good!) but it was before 4 pm so instead of prime rib and all the fixins I got:

Steakhouse Philly*
Ribeye steak sliced thin with our steakhouse cheese sauce, grilled onions and red peppers then smothered with melted White Cheddar cheese on a sub roll   $12.49
Not super cheap or large but it was quite tasty with some really good hot fresh fries on the side.
Not my favorite all time Philly Steak which is from the local Longhorn Steakhouse for $12.95 but not bad.
........oh BTW I just saw the calorie and other info on the steakhouse Philly
Steakhouse Philly Sandwich  CALORIES  1030.....I had it as two halves, still good!..... other stuff  550 61 33 0 210 54...... SODIUM  2050, WHOA, GOOD THING I RUN A LOW SODIUM. .... 4 9 68

Did you ever make the Italian beef sandwiches mjp? 

3 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

Did you ever make the Italian beef sandwiches mjp? 

I think I'm losing my clout on our menu selections with the wife. :huh:

She went all casserole and oven dishes crazy the last few months (great food and leftovers)....oh I ran across an easy slow cooker Italian beef sandwich recipe and sent you a copy to an old email address I had for you the 1948 one, 10 minutes prep time, 10 hours cook time did you get it? Wife liked it way simpler than the traditional Italian beef recipe. 

7 hours ago, mjp28 said:

I think I'm losing my clout on our menu selections with the wife. :huh:

She went all casserole and oven dishes crazy the last few months (great food and leftovers)....oh I ran across an easy slow cooker Italian beef sandwich recipe and sent you a copy to an old email address I had for you the 1948 one, 10 minutes prep time, 10 hours cook time did you get it? Wife liked it way simpler than the traditional Italian beef recipe. 

Yeah, I got it! One of these days I'll get around to making it. 

Philly Steak and other Steak sandwiches are one of my favorites going back to my Tony's Hideaway steak sandwich  days at YSU if any of you guys remember that in the same building as the Bavarian House and above The Tomb.....all long gone now.

If any of you are interested here is the slow cooker recipe, I've never done it. A traditional Italian Beef Sandwiches recipe is in an earlier post in this thread....I have done that many years back, a different flavor than just a regular and easy to make Philly Steak sandwich. 

Slow Cooker Italian Beef Sandwiches
Prep Time 10 mins  Cook Time 10 hrs..... Total Time 10 hrs 10 mins

Load up on the delicious flavor of these Slow Cooker Italian Beef Sandwiches! A handful of ingredients are all you need to pull this amazing dinner off. Great for game day or an easy weeknight dinner!
Course: Entree
Servings10 sandwiches
AuthorTrish - Mom On Timeout
Ingredients
  • 4 lb boneless beef chuck pot roast
  • 2 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp pepper
  • 1 tsp garlic powder
  • 2 tsp Italian seasoning
  • 1 15 oz can tomato sauce
  • 2 green bell peppers, sliced
  • 2 yellow onions, sliced
  • 1 12 oz jar sliced pepperoncini (plus more for serving)
  • 10 crusty sandwich rolls, split and toasted
  • 20 slices Provolone cheese
  • Instructions (note this didn't copy and paste evenly but there are 13 steps in the instructions)
    1. Spray the insert of a 6 or 7 qt slow cooker with cooking spray.
    1. Drain the pepperoncinis reserving three tablespoons of the liquid.
    2. Combine the salt, pepper, garlic powder, and Italian seasoning in small bowl.
    3. Trim the fat from the roast and season each side with roughly one-third of the seasonings.
    4. Place the roast in the slow cooker.
    5. Pour the tomato sauce over the roast.
    6. Top with the green bell peppers, onions, and pepperoncinis.
    7. Sprinkle the remaining third of the seasonings on top as well as the reserved pepperoncini liquid.
    8. Place the lid on the slow cooker and cook on low for 10 to 12 hours or on high for 5 to 6 hours.
    9. Preheat oven to 250F.
    10. Use two forks to shred the meat. It should be so tender that it basically just falls apart.
    11. Using a pair of tongs or a slotted spoon, place the shredded beef mixture along with onions and peppers on the bottom half of the rolls. Make sure you let most of the liquid drain away so your sandwiches don't get soggy.
    12. Top the shredded beef mixture with additional pepperoncinis if desired, and two (or more) slices of Provolone cheese. Place in oven just until cheese melts. Serve immediately.
  •  

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Guess who is going to the Royal Oaks for some bar-b-q later today mjp? 😉

2 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

Guess who is going to the Royal Oaks for some bar-b-q later today mjp? 😉

Whoa the new, old Oakes......haven't really been there since I got out of YSU.

24 minutes ago, mjp28 said:

Whoa the new, old Oakes......haven't really been there since I got out of YSU.

I'll have a Yuengling for you buddy... and some ribs!

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

I'll have a Yuengling for you buddy... and some ribs!

Ask any of the old timers there if they remember the down stairs Tomb (you could get your picture in the coffin there), Tony's owned by the mob, started many other fine bars from there or the B-house owned by a friend of mine who went on to open the Inner Circle pizza joint at YSU and others.

Oh the Oakes was a bookie joint back when we'd pop in but when the mills were running they all were bookie hangouts for the bug and sports all over the valley. 

Ahhhhh, memories. :D

I just smoked and pulled 30 lbs. of pork!! Its pretty damn hard to beat a plate of my pulled pork with some slaw. I would put it up against any pitmaster out there. 

Anthony Bourdain committed suicide in his honor we should close this thread

3 hours ago, jcam222 said:

I just smoked and pulled 30 lbs. of pork!! Its pretty damn hard to beat a plate of my pulled pork with some slaw. I would put it up against any pitmaster out there. 

30# whoa that's a big pile of meat! What kind of smoker?

11 minutes ago, mjp28 said:

30# whoa that's a big pile of meat! What kind of smoker?

Used my MES40 electric and also my big green egg. I love smoking and grilling meat. Really turning into a passion. Did 5 racks of spare ribs last weekend. 

I make killer ribs.  The brothers in LBC dig them.  I make 3 full racks and only get 4 ribs to myself.  

Pork or beef.

Make my own dry rub.  Prep the ribs the say before.  Slit the ribs slightly and clean the back.   Out the rub on the ribs and fridge overnight.   Slow cook at 165 in oven for 6 to 7 hours.

Smother them bbq sauce and then to the grill.   Smother more bbq sauce to get them caramelized on the outside.   

I have marinated the ribs for 12 hours in pineapple juice before the dry rub stage before.

Edited by LBC mike
  • Upvote 3

I bet that long in pineapple they were fall apart tender faster. I make a teriyaki marinade  with pineapple juice base and it really tenderizes. 

13 hours ago, LBC mike said:

I make killer ribs.  The brothers in LBC dig them.  I make 3 full racks and only get 4 ribs to myself.  

Pork or beef.

Make my own dry rub.  Prep the ribs the say before.  Slit the ribs slightly and clean the back.   Out the rub on the ribs and fridge overnight.   Slow cook at 165 in oven for 6 to 7 hours.

Smother them bbq sauce and then to the grill.   Smother more bbq sauce to get them caramelized on the outside.   

I have marinated the ribs for 12 hours in pineapple juice before the dry rub stage before.

Damn the pineapple juice trick sounds good... and of course my girlfriend is allergic to pineapple... 🤣

The joint in Youngstown that I go to has an absolute killer spicy bbq/raspberry sauce. The Sheet is so damn good. There's a reason I drive a hour east to get it!

4 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

Damn the pineapple juice trick sounds good... and of course my girlfriend is allergic to pineapple... 🤣

The joint in Youngstown that I go to has an absolute killer spicy bbq/raspberry sauce. The Sheet is so damn good. There's a reason I drive a hour east to get it!

As long as she's not allergic to you.:lol:

So how was the Oakes? For you non Mahoning Valley guys it's an old Youngstown joint, it was featured on the Spike Bar Rescue show.....I think the owners needed rescued all right!

2 hours ago, mjp28 said:

As long as she's not allergic to you.:lol:

So how was the Oakes? For you non Mahoning Valley guys it's an old Youngstown joint, it was featured on the Spike Bar Rescue show.....I think the owners needed rescued all right!

The food was seriously the best I've ever had there. Its always good, but it was even better yesterday. The owners were both there, in different states of soberness... 🤣

If piss and death had an illegitimate child, it would smell like their men's bathroom yesterday. 

God I love that place! 

Something unusual, my wife was running errands and was going to bring home Steak and Shake burgers on the 2 for $3 menu got there and the line was to the front door, the lady ahead said they were there almost an hour....forget that. 

Went to Jersey Mike's instead nobody in line, none at lunch time. She said the staff all looked like they were 16, ordered a Philly Steak for me girl asked if she wanted peppers, onions, cheese.....d'uh that's a Philly Steak. 

Got home in time for the 1 pm Indians game, the steak was good but the cheese wasn't quite right, I was surprised but it goes to show you you never know on one on any one visit what the food is like every time......but I hope it never happens again. 

all night in pineapple juice...oh, I'm going to have to try bbq'ing my first time grilling ribs with that idea.

I've marinated pork chops with water, apple cider vinegar and brown sugar in the past...that worked out great

On 6/9/2018 at 7:13 PM, The Gipper said:

Anthony Bourdain committed suicide in his honor we should close this thread

I would probably have to kill myself if I was forced to eat some of that wierd stuff from Parts Unknown. :)

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

all night in pineapple juice...oh, I'm going to have to try bbq'ing my first time grilling ribs with that idea.

I've marinated pork chops with water, apple cider vinegar and brown sugar in the past...that worked out great

Add some soy, sesame oil and ginger to the juice 

• Upvote 1

Just now, The Gipper said:

Nineteen pages on a thread that comes down to just 3 words:   pizza,  chili, wings.

Grilling outside, steak sandwiches and of course good ethnic foods among many other GAMEDAY and other eats. :)

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, mjp28 said:

Grilling outside, steak sandwiches and of course good ethnic foods among many other GAMEDAY and other eats. :)

OH the Indians come on in 15 minutes,  we're having leftovers from having friends over yesterday :

Grilled chicken strips with three different Emeril's seasonings, ummmmm, make plenty great snacks!

Salad with Marzetti's Bleu cheese dressing, wife's homemade mac salad, crackers with dill dip, green and black olives, green onions......and almond cream cake, wife's favorite.  I'm also having a Sam Adams Boston Lager. C'Mon over! :D

7 minutes ago, mjp28 said:

Three words, all that is needed. 

1 minute ago, mjp28 said:

OH the Indians come on in 15 minutes,  we're having leftovers from having friends over yesterday :

Grilled chicken strips with three different Emeril's seasonings, ummmmm, make plenty great snacks!

Salad with Marzetti's Bleu cheese dressing, wife's homemade mac salad, crackers with dill dip, green and black olives, green onions......and almond cream cake, wife's favorite.  I'm also having a Sam Adams Boston Lager. C'Mon over! :D

You are obsessed with what goes in your gut.

6 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

You are obsessed with what goes in your gut.

Obsessed, no. Enjoy good eating, yes!

I'm a good cook my wife is an excellent cook, she has to watch her cholesterol so we eat have a very good diet. We also rarely bring home burgers or pizza but do once in awhile. 

Oh we also have a massive cookbook collection and come from families that cook. Live a little Gip, expand your culinary horizons. 

• Thanks 1

Great cookbook is the first edition of the new York Times cookbook.  Blue cover.

• Thanks 1

Ain't nothin' better'n my salmon baked with/served in my homemade blackberry preserves Black Seal rum sauce. Yummmmmmmmmmmmmmy!!!😋

• Upvote 1