THE BROWNS BOARD

• Favorite GAMEDAY food ? ..... Dine in, carryout, *delivery or make at home.

mjp28

I make killer ribs.  The brothers in LBC dig them.  I make 3 full racks and only get 4 ribs to myself.  

Pork or beef.

Make my own dry rub.  Prep the ribs the say before.  Slit the ribs slightly and clean the back.   Out the rub on the ribs and fridge overnight.   Slow cook at 165 in oven for 6 to 7 hours.

Smother them bbq sauce and then to the grill.   Smother more bbq sauce to get them caramelized on the outside.   

I have marinated the ribs for 12 hours in pineapple juice before the dry rub stage before.

Edited by LBC mike
  • Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

Damn the pineapple juice trick sounds good... and of course my girlfriend is allergic to pineapple... 🤣

The joint in Youngstown that I go to has an absolute killer spicy bbq/raspberry sauce. The Sheet is so damn good. There's a reason I drive a hour east to get it!

As long as she's not allergic to you.:lol:

So how was the Oakes? For you non Mahoning Valley guys it's an old Youngstown joint, it was featured on the Spike Bar Rescue show.....I think the owners needed rescued all right!

Something unusual, my wife was running errands and was going to bring home Steak and Shake burgers on the 2 for $3 menu got there and the line was to the front door, the lady ahead said they were there almost an hour....forget that. 

Went to Jersey Mike's instead nobody in line, none at lunch time. She said the staff all looked like they were 16, ordered a Philly Steak for me girl asked if she wanted peppers, onions, cheese.....d'uh that's a Philly Steak. 

Got home in time for the 1 pm Indians game, the steak was good but the cheese wasn't quite right, I was surprised but it goes to show you you never know on one on any one visit what the food is like every time......but I hope it never happens again. 

all night in pineapple juice...oh, I'm going to have to try bbq'ing my first time grilling ribs with that idea.

I've marinated pork chops with water, apple cider vinegar and brown sugar in the past...that worked out great

On 6/9/2018 at 7:13 PM, The Gipper said:

Anthony Bourdain committed suicide in his honor we should close this thread

I would probably have to kill myself if I was forced to eat some of that wierd stuff from Parts Unknown. :)

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

all night in pineapple juice...oh, I'm going to have to try bbq'ing my first time grilling ribs with that idea.

I've marinated pork chops with water, apple cider vinegar and brown sugar in the past...that worked out great

Add some soy, sesame oil and ginger to the juice 

• Upvote 1

Just now, The Gipper said:

Nineteen pages on a thread that comes down to just 3 words:   pizza,  chili, wings.

Grilling outside, steak sandwiches and of course good ethnic foods among many other GAMEDAY and other eats. :)

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, mjp28 said:

Grilling outside, steak sandwiches and of course good ethnic foods among many other GAMEDAY and other eats. :)

OH the Indians come on in 15 minutes,  we're having leftovers from having friends over yesterday :

Grilled chicken strips with three different Emeril's seasonings, ummmmm, make plenty great snacks!

Salad with Marzetti's Bleu cheese dressing, wife's homemade mac salad, crackers with dill dip, green and black olives, green onions......and almond cream cake, wife's favorite.  I'm also having a Sam Adams Boston Lager. C'Mon over! :D

1 minute ago, mjp28 said:

OH the Indians come on in 15 minutes,  we're having leftovers from having friends over yesterday :

Grilled chicken strips with three different Emeril's seasonings, ummmmm, make plenty great snacks!

Salad with Marzetti's Bleu cheese dressing, wife's homemade mac salad, crackers with dill dip, green and black olives, green onions......and almond cream cake, wife's favorite.  I'm also having a Sam Adams Boston Lager. C'Mon over! :D

You are obsessed with what goes in your gut.

6 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Obsessed, no. Enjoy good eating, yes!

I'm a good cook my wife is an excellent cook, she has to watch her cholesterol so we eat have a very good diet. We also rarely bring home burgers or pizza but do once in awhile. 

Oh we also have a massive cookbook collection and come from families that cook. Live a little Gip, expand your culinary horizons. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Nineteen pages on a thread that comes down to just 3 words:   pizza,  chili, wings.

Jealous because your threads die after a page? 

4 hours ago, mjp28 said:

Today- lazy ribs picked up from Dorothy Lane Market with Rudy's  or Montgomery Inn BBQ sauce and cole slaw. Tomorrow, Prime NY strip with an appropriate wine. Probably Siendra, primarily grenache grape. 

4 hours ago, The Gipper said:

You are obsessed with trivia, so? 

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, LBC mike said:

Great cookbook is the first edition of the new York Times cookbook.  Blue cover.

The blue NYT cookbook is one of our absolute favorite  cookbooks all kinds of really good recipes not really exotic or strange stuff. I got it at a 4 books 4 bucks site maybe 20 years ago. 

If I were starting a beginner usable collection today......Better Homes, Good Housekeeping, any of the Barefoot Contessa, the blue New York Times, a good casserole cookbook and a must Weber Real Grilling by Jamie Purvaiance to start.

Decades ago when i was on the road I used to occasionally  look up church festivals, fairs, small town book sales for the bubba's cookbooks, a goldmine of recipes.

Our friends used to see our shelf of cookbooks and would buy them for us as gifts......we finally asked them to quit!

Bon Appétit! 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, DieHardBrownsFan said:

recipe please.

First...............catch a salmon. LOL!🐟

2nd find some lady at a local farmers market selling blackberry preserves. Barring that try Hero Blackberry Preserves or Bonne Maman (about 13 oz in a jar of either.). Or any brand that you particularly like that is decently thick.

3rd take about a pound or a little more if you wish and form a "boat" of heavy duty alum. foil around it to hem in the sauce so it kind of bastes in it as it cook. Place that in a deep glass dish of about the size to fit in the boat. That's just in case the boat doesn't hold.

4. Mix the preserves (the whole jar) with about a 1 1/2 shots of Black Seal Bermudan rum and just a tab bit of lime juice (maybe 1 tablespoon max-less if you want it sweeter)

5. Spread most of that mixture evenly over the salmon (skin down--meat up), but save a little for people to spoon a little fresh mixture over the cooked fish if they want.

6. Heat the oven to about 380 degrees and bake on the middle rack for about 30 minutes. To be sure it's done just use a fork to see if it flakes easily apart in the thickest part. Tales a little longer for a thicker filet from the salmon.

Serve it up and spoon out the sauce that bakes with the fish on top of each serving as much as desired by each person. I just leave a deep spoon there for them to decide and also the extra leftover uncooked sauce if they want a little more of a spread on top.

It's simple as anything but sure is good.😋

On 6/16/2018 at 8:16 PM, hoorta said:

Jealous because your threads die after a page? 

Today- lazy ribs picked up from Dorothy Lane Market with Rudy's  or Montgomery Inn BBQ sauce and cole slaw. Tomorrow, Prime NY strip with an appropriate wine. Probably Siendra, primarily grenache grape. 

You are obsessed with trivia, so? 

Be careful or I will load the board with trivia threads

40 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Be careful or I will load the board with trivia threadsBe careful or I will load the board with trivia

Trivia question of the day. How many trivia threads has Gip started from the final day of the draft through first KO for real in the past 5 years?😂

2 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Trivia question of the day. How many trivia threads has Gip started from the final day of the draft through first KO for real in the past 5 years?😂

Is it over or under 10,000? :lol:

(Gip, we kid because we care.....really, we do.)

1 hour ago, mjp28 said:

Is it over or under 10,000? :lol:

(Gip, we kid because we care.....really, we do.)

It's either 49 or 144. Those sound like good numbers to use if you just make something up on the fly. LOL!🤴

23 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

It's either 49 or 144. Those sound like good numbers to use if you just make something up on the fly. LOL!🤴

If I posted one per week....it may have been perhaps  16 in a given year.     So, over a 5 year, maybe 80.  But I don't do one every week.  Notice here that you have not seen one for over a month. So it might even be only half that number.

And Trivia is a staple of the sporting public.  There are several shows on sports trivia:  Dan Patrick hosts Sports Jeopardy;  there is Beer Money....and a few others.

22 hours ago, The Gipper said:

If I posted one per week....it may have been perhaps  16 in a given year.     So, over a 5 year, maybe 80.  But I don't do one every week.  Notice here that you have not seen one for over a month. So it might even be only half that number.

And Trivia is a staple of the sporting public.  There are several shows on sports trivia:  Dan Patrick hosts Sports Jeopardy;  there is Beer Money....and a few others.

So the answer is under 10,000?

And yes I like sports and other trivia and brain games, great for these down times in the NFL and NCAA football season.....and yes the Gipper does a fine job on them.

• 3 weeks later...

As of today my favorite gameday food to serve at home going forward is smoked pork belly!! I don't know how this hid from me so long. I did 11 lbs. today rubbed up with my super secret rub and slow smoked 8 hours with a mix of hickory and apple wood. DAMN cubed and served up with BBQ for dip and a side of slaw its the bomb.

pork belly ready to smoke.jpg

PORK SLICED.jpg

prok belly out of smoker.jpg

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, jcam222 said:

As of today my favorite gameday food to serve at home going forward is smoked pork belly!! I don't know how this hid from me so long. I did 11 lbs. today rubbed up with my super secret rub and slow smoked 8 hours with a mix of hickory and apple wood. DAMN cubed and served up with BBQ for dip and a side of slaw its the bomb.

Oh yes a lot of big shot Food TV cooks and especially the barbecue TV guys are big on pork bellies! Enjoy!

• Thanks 1

On 6/16/2018 at 4:55 PM, LBC mike said:

Great cookbook is the first edition of the new York Times cookbook.  Blue cover.

OMG, on July 4th a friend was over we were discussing favorite must have foundation cookbooks for starting or just having a basic collection. 

The blue NYT COOKBOOK came up, I checked we have the blue first edition published in 1961 by Craig Claiborne (1920-2000),  718 pages sitting next to our microwave on our kitchen counter!

One of the few two or three we have actually sitting out for everyday quick use the rest are on bookshelves. 

It is a compilation of about 1,500 NYT recipes from 1950-1960. OUR EVERYDAY GO TO BOOK. I PAID $1 FOR IT ABOUT 20 YEARS AGO. 

The latest edition by an older Craig Claiborne is 1990, hardcover 800 pages,  from what I can see. Wow. Might actually have to get it, lol, I must be sick. :lol:

61wtaeVftHL._SX398_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

$4.99 only 3 left in stock

& FREE Shipping <----- EDIT ADD, I JUST BOUGHT THIS ON AMAZON PRIME, $4.99 FORMER LIBRARY BOOK.  I AM SICK. :-)

Used - Good
Former Library book.Great prices and great return policy! Best books around. Your purchase benefits world literacy! « Show less