THE BROWNS BOARD

• Favorite GAMEDAY food ? ..... Dine in, carryout, *delivery or make at home.

mjp28

1 hour ago, Nero said:

We give a lot of importance to lunch, more than many other places, and family meetings tend to be at lunch (we can stay talking for a long time in the sobremesa). 

Something I definitely approve of, the erosion of family life in London is the reason it is in the trouble it is in.

45 minutes ago, LondonBrown said:

Something I definitely approve of, the erosion of family life in London is the reason it is in the trouble it is in.

If it was just in London...

12 hours ago, LondonBrown said:

I’ve always been a McDonald’s apologist here. I think for the sheer amount of food they turn out at such a fast pace, that the quality is better than its given credit for. 

Its more than edible.

It's my road trip staple...

Egg McMuffin for Brkfst... McDouble any other time... both very travel friendly at 80 mph give or take...

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, jcam222 said:

A McDouble w/ cheese is literally the perfect road sandwich and quite delicious to me. 

I recently (without thinking) ordered a double cheeseburger at the drive up. When I pulled up to pay & questioned the price, I was told I should have ordered a McDouble (for 40 or 50 cents less)! The difference in the sandwiches?...ONE slice of cheese.  :rolleyes:

Mike

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

All this talk of small burgers from McDonald's has me hungry for some Hamburger Station burgers... It's too bad there isn't many of them around anymore. (Akron area)

Never heard of it. Sure gets good reviews though, sort of a higher quality White Castle?

27 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

All this talk of small burgers from McDonald's has me hungry for some Hamburger Station burgers... It's too bad there isn't many of them around anymore. (Akron area)

Ah, the descendent of Thacker's Hamburgers on E Market St in East Akron near where I lived when I was young. At Goodyear shift change time you couldn't get in the door. I haven't yet been to Hamburger Station, but I hear they're just like the old Thacker's.

Mike 

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

It's my road trip staple...

Egg McMuffin for Brkfst... McDouble any other time... both very travel friendly at 80 mph give or take...

Yes and McDonald's finally did what America has been clamoring for for decades.....a reality TV star as president,  no make that all day breakfast food!

When the wife is out running errands on the way home she'll occasionally stop,  I like Sausage McMuffin with egg, hash browns and large coffee, when you're just too lazy to cook, oh yeah!  :)

1 hour ago, mjp28 said:

Yes and McDonald's finally did what America has been clamoring for for decades.....a reality TV star as president,  no make that all day breakfast food!

When the wife is out running errands on the way home she'll occasionally stop,  I like Sausage McMuffin with egg, hash browns and large coffee, when you're just too lazy to cook, oh yeah!  :)

Ronald and Donald? Yes, the resemblance is uncanny.:P But which one played Pennywise?

Oh we finally tried our local Jersey Mike's  Sandwich store, 1.6 miles from our house, small store front.

I had the Philly Steak  $7.55 half, not bad nice amount of meat, got a Pastrami Reuben for tomorrow. 

Wife had the Caesar Chicken Wrap $7.75 I thought it was quite tasty.  I guess it would be mjp GAMEDAY approved. :)

On 4/20/2018 at 7:10 AM, Dutch Oven said:

Had Jersey Mike's Italian, tasted like a more expensive Italian sub from Jimmy John's. 

Another time, had a JM's Philly Steak... it was damn tasty!

Wow did we just get some good coupons from Jersey Mike's yesterday :

1 free sub no purchase, BOGO sub, buy 2 giants get 1 $1.99 (worth about  $11) and $2 off any......will be going back today! Maybe draft day also. :P

19 hours ago, mjp28 said:

Wow did we just get some good coupons from Jersey Mike's yesterday :

1 free sub no purchase, BOGO sub, buy 2 giants get 1 $1.99 (worth about  $11) and $2 off any......will be going back today! Maybe draft day also. :P

Today with FREE sub coupon - 2 subs, 2 chips, 1 brownie = $12.48.

I had the #56 Big Kahana Cheesesteak ($7.95 FREE) - mushrooms, onions,  peppers,  jalapenos, extra cheese better than their Philly steak.

Wife had the #8 Club Sub $7.95 - turkey,  ham, provolone, bacon plus fixins minus lettuce, I had two bites, fabulous. Better than Jimmy Johns!

OMG 3 coupons left. :D

......oh edit add, signed up for their online news, frequent emails with discount coupons. 

On 4/23/2018 at 9:33 AM, Westside Steve said:

Penn Station is pretty good for a chain sub.

WSS

Anyone planning a draft party? Any days other than Thursday night?

On 4/24/2018 at 10:16 AM, mjp28 said:

Anyone planning a draft party? Any days other than Thursday night?

Just found out were having company Friday and Saturday and my wife has an anniversary party to go to with her mother Sunday 

FOOTBALL WEEK starting for me tonight! Looks like Jersey Mike's freebies for me a possibility or steaks on the grill Sunday.  Not bad.

• 1 month later...

Just tried something new yesterday and finished it today watching Kluber now 9-2 and the INDIANS,  we had a gift card for the OUTBACK STEAK HOUSE.

Well we got the usual, bloomin' petals, Caesar salad, wife had the streak tacos (very good!) but it was before 4 pm so instead of prime rib and all the fixins I got:

Steakhouse Philly*
Ribeye steak sliced thin with our steakhouse cheese sauce, grilled onions and red peppers then smothered with melted White Cheddar cheese on a sub roll   $12.49
Not super cheap or large but it was quite tasty with some really good hot fresh fries on the side.
Not my favorite all time Philly Steak which is from the local Longhorn Steakhouse for $12.95 but not bad.
........oh BTW I just saw the calorie and other info on the steakhouse Philly
Steakhouse Philly Sandwich  CALORIES  1030.....I had it as two halves, still good!..... other stuff  550 61 33 0 210 54...... SODIUM  2050, WHOA, GOOD THING I RUN A LOW SODIUM. .... 4 9 68

3 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

Did you ever make the Italian beef sandwiches mjp? 

I think I'm losing my clout on our menu selections with the wife. :huh:

She went all casserole and oven dishes crazy the last few months (great food and leftovers)....oh I ran across an easy slow cooker Italian beef sandwich recipe and sent you a copy to an old email address I had for you the 1948 one, 10 minutes prep time, 10 hours cook time did you get it? Wife liked it way simpler than the traditional Italian beef recipe. 

Philly Steak and other Steak sandwiches are one of my favorites going back to my Tony's Hideaway steak sandwich  days at YSU if any of you guys remember that in the same building as the Bavarian House and above The Tomb.....all long gone now.

If any of you are interested here is the slow cooker recipe, I've never done it. A traditional Italian Beef Sandwiches recipe is in an earlier post in this thread....I have done that many years back, a different flavor than just a regular and easy to make Philly Steak sandwich. 

Slow Cooker Italian Beef Sandwiches
Prep Time 10 mins  Cook Time 10 hrs..... Total Time 10 hrs 10 mins

Load up on the delicious flavor of these Slow Cooker Italian Beef Sandwiches! A handful of ingredients are all you need to pull this amazing dinner off. Great for game day or an easy weeknight dinner!
Course: Entree
Servings10 sandwiches
AuthorTrish - Mom On Timeout
Ingredients
  • 4 lb boneless beef chuck pot roast
  • 2 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp pepper
  • 1 tsp garlic powder
  • 2 tsp Italian seasoning
  • 1 15 oz can tomato sauce
  • 2 green bell peppers, sliced
  • 2 yellow onions, sliced
  • 1 12 oz jar sliced pepperoncini (plus more for serving)
  • 10 crusty sandwich rolls, split and toasted
  • 20 slices Provolone cheese
  • Instructions (note this didn't copy and paste evenly but there are 13 steps in the instructions)
    1. Spray the insert of a 6 or 7 qt slow cooker with cooking spray.
    1. Drain the pepperoncinis reserving three tablespoons of the liquid.
    2. Combine the salt, pepper, garlic powder, and Italian seasoning in small bowl.
    3. Trim the fat from the roast and season each side with roughly one-third of the seasonings.
    4. Place the roast in the slow cooker.
    5. Pour the tomato sauce over the roast.
    6. Top with the green bell peppers, onions, and pepperoncinis.
    7. Sprinkle the remaining third of the seasonings on top as well as the reserved pepperoncini liquid.
    8. Place the lid on the slow cooker and cook on low for 10 to 12 hours or on high for 5 to 6 hours.
    9. Preheat oven to 250F.
    10. Use two forks to shred the meat. It should be so tender that it basically just falls apart.
    11. Using a pair of tongs or a slotted spoon, place the shredded beef mixture along with onions and peppers on the bottom half of the rolls. Make sure you let most of the liquid drain away so your sandwiches don't get soggy.
    12. Top the shredded beef mixture with additional pepperoncinis if desired, and two (or more) slices of Provolone cheese. Place in oven just until cheese melts. Serve immediately.
  •  

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

Guess who is going to the Royal Oaks for some bar-b-q later today mjp? 😉

Whoa the new, old Oakes......haven't really been there since I got out of YSU.

9 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

I'll have a Yuengling for you buddy... and some ribs!

Ask any of the old timers there if they remember the down stairs Tomb (you could get your picture in the coffin there), Tony's owned by the mob, started many other fine bars from there or the B-house owned by a friend of mine who went on to open the Inner Circle pizza joint at YSU and others.

Oh the Oakes was a bookie joint back when we'd pop in but when the mills were running they all were bookie hangouts for the bug and sports all over the valley. 

Ahhhhh, memories. :D

3 hours ago, jcam222 said:

I just smoked and pulled 30 lbs. of pork!! Its pretty damn hard to beat a plate of my pulled pork with some slaw. I would put it up against any pitmaster out there. 

30# whoa that's a big pile of meat! What kind of smoker?