mjp28

Favorite gameday food? Dine in, carryout or make at home.

3 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

I'm going to have to try a Jersey Mike's Philly Cheesesteak this week. They are starting to pop up around here now. 

if ya like fresh as they cut meat,veggies,Cheese(many & good) per order..these days, its nice to see whats going on there..enjoy

Well gameday food doesn't just have to be for football or tailgating, we have the Daytona 500 coming, The Master's  (great foodie event :lol:), MLB Spring Training even a few TV games there, NBA if you're so inclined and of course THE NFL DRAFT April 26-28, but what now?

How about the Olympics! Well an excuse to grill on Sunday today Porterhouse steaks, baked potatoes with the works, veggies TBD at grilling time and naturally Sam Adams Boston Lager......ummmmm. Got to love those Olympics,  GO USA!

On 12/27/2017 at 9:47 AM, mjp28 said:

(And coming soon on the menu.)

Chicago Italian Beef Sandwich....I think the sweet roasted red peppers really do it! Go  back a few pages for recipe. mjp

1371587273164.jpeg

• Upvote 1

Anybody have plans for this one?

The 2018 Daytona 500, the 60th running of the event, is a Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series race held on February 18, 2018, Contested over 200 laps, on the 2.5-mile (4.0 km) asphalt superspeedway. It will be the first race of the 2018 Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series season. On FOX......geeezzz they're getting in everything! 

170px-2018_Daytona_Logo.png

14 hours ago, mjp28 said:

Well gameday food doesn't just have to be for football or tailgating, we have the Daytona 500 coming, The Master's  (great foodie event :lol:), MLB Spring Training even a few TV games there, NBA if you're so inclined and of course THE NFL DRAFT April 26-28, but what now?

How about the Olympics! Well an excuse to grill on Sunday today Porterhouse steaks, baked potatoes with the works, veggies TBD at grilling time and naturally Sam Adams Boston Lager......ummmmm. Got to love those Olympics,  GO USA!

NASCAR puts me to sleep- haven't watched in years. Now as to your menu- very similar. We celebrated Mardi Gras a few days early- watching the Olympics together. Almost duplicated your menu. Prime Porterhouse on the grill, ditto the baked potatoes. Mushrooms and onion rings soaked in Pine Club beef gravy. Since the wifie has decided to temporarily switch from beer to wine. Opened a 1982 Chateau Leoville Poyferre. 98+ point wine, and I'm seriously tempted to give it a perfect 100 score. I won't open something that good (not replaceable at current prices) and be a pig about it without sharing it with someone. Sue was wondering why I was slurping it  down- because it was that good. Finished with a 2009 Dow Late Bottled Vintage port with roquefort on the side.  :)  

6 hours ago, hoorta said:

NASCAR puts me to sleep- haven't watched in years. Now as to your menu- very similar. We celebrated Mardi Gras a few days early- watching the Olympics together. Almost duplicated your menu. Prime Porterhouse on the grill, ditto the baked potatoes. Mushrooms and onion rings soaked in Pine Club beef gravy. Since the wifie has decided to temporarily switch from beer to wine. Opened a 1982 Chateau Leoville Poyferre. 98+ point wine, and I'm seriously tempted to give it a perfect 100 score. I won't open something that good (not replaceable at current prices) and be a pig about it without sharing it with someone. Sue was wondering why I was slurping it  down- because it was that good. Finished with a 2009 Dow Late Bottled Vintage port with roquefort on the side.  :)  

You mean Naszzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz......................................................car?

2 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

You mean Naszzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz......................................................car?

It is more exciting when they throw in a few ....unscheduled....right turns.

22 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

It is more exciting when they throw in a few ....unscheduled....right turns.

I've always lobbied for the figure 8 track like the old slot car days. :lol:

I'm not a big Indy or NASCAR fan like in decades past but like to tune in to the starts and then tune in/out occasionally.  Daytona and the groundhog have February sports pretty well locked up now.......

........except for the once in every four years Olympics. 

3 hours ago, mjp28 said:

I'm not a big Indy or NASCAR fan like in decades past but like to tune in to the starts and then tune in/out occasionally.  Daytona and the groundhog have February sports pretty well locked up now.......

One of these years I may actually make the 1/2 hour little trek down to see World class Formula One racing at the US Grand Prix Circuit of the Americas track in Austin , the only pure racing out there IMO.

On 2/12/2018 at 10:44 AM, mjp28 said:

I used to have the figure 8 track with a Lionel crossing too. That was fun but a little of Gomez Addams dynamite would have been the frosting on the cake. 

Fun topic.  Some good chow listed.

We like to do a "feast on the blood of our enemies" process where we eat typical foods popular in our opponent's cities:

• Cincinnati chili for the Bengals, I like dogs, wife does pasta.
  • Cabbage rolls or City Chicken for Pittsburgh.
  • Pit Beef for Baltimore, no good crabs around SE Ohio.

Something Cajun if we play New Orleans...you get the idea.  Nice way to have Cincy Chili twice a year.

Always match whatever we make with some Devil's Kettle brews. 

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, DieHardBrownsFan said:

Burritos and Chilitos

Worst 'Chili' I've ever had.  

Aquired taste? Many local treats are that way......and you better like cheese here!

43 minutes ago, mjp28 said:

Aquired taste? Many local treats are that way......and you better like cheese here!

Reminds me of the "clam" chowder my wife and I got at a restaurant in Cheyenne once. They said it was the specialty of the house and people came from miles around to get it. They were right about one thing, you could not use "clams" to describe it, only clam because that was the count in each of our bowls. We had to explain to them that my wife was raised on the water in R.I. and knew what real N.E. clam chowder was supposed to be and that wasn't it. Now living here in Texas I can see that your spaghetti up there in no way resembles chili. LOL!:P

7 hours ago, DieHardBrownsFan said:

Burritos and Chilitos

Agreed- Skyline and Gold Star are abominations. I'm a purist when it comes to food- give me spaghetti with marinara. Keep the frickin' chilli separate. 

Local stuff gets overblown. Wife is from Toledo, and for the life of me I don't get all warm and fuzzy about the "World Famous" Tony Packo's hot dog- cheese optional. It's OK bar food, but I wouldn't make a special trip to have one. It's like the Original Arthur Bryant's rib joint in KC- it was a dive when we visited 20 years ago. (though the food was better than Tony's) But like Packo's, the celebrity autographs on the wall are impressive. 

fbe1b5099cb8741e857c0d29a34e41e3--toledo-ohio-timeline-photos.jpg

How anyone can eat Cincinnati chili is beyond me, it tastes like someone poured a blended pumpkin pie into chili. So weird. 

• Haha 1

I love Skyline chili dogs with hot shredded cheese onion and mustard. Wife HATES it.  Tony Packos is ok but I wouldn't go out of my way to go there 

1 hour ago, Dutch Oven said:

How anyone can eat Cincinnati chili is beyond me, it tastes like someone poured a blended pumpkin pie into chili. So weird. 

Oh my wife, the scratch cook, saw the picture and thought it was gross! I hope it isn't Cincinnati's finest dish I spent time in cinci during the 1970s visiting a friend in college,  later his wedding had some pretty good food......but that was eons ago.

I'll take Chicago and of course good ol' NE OHIO. :D 

......and Pittsburgh not bad!

10 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Reminds me of the "clam" chowder my wife and I got at a restaurant in Cheyenne once. They said it was the specialty of the house and people came from miles around to get it. They were right about one thing, you could not use "clams" to describe it, only clam because that was the count in each of our bowls. We had to explain to them that my wife was raised on the water in R.I. and knew what real N.E. clam chowder was supposed to be and that wasn't it. Now living here in Texas I can see that your spaghetti up there in no way resembles chili. LOL!:P

#1...I LOVE seafood, but I WILL NOT order it inland. If you have ever eaten good seafood on the coast, you'll understand.

#2...Cincinnati chili (IMHO) SUCKS! Family members LOVE it, but I was very disappointed. I like good, spicy chili & that means with NO BEANS!!!  For hotdogs, I "tweeked" a Mr Food coney sauce recipe that has become a favorite among friends.

Mike

8 hours ago, Canton Mike said:

#1...I LOVE seafood, but I WILL NOT order it inland. If you have ever eaten good seafood on the coast, you'll understand.

Mike

Totally agree Mike. We went to the docks in Maine for fresh lobster dinners when we visited wife's Mass. sister 2-3 years ago. Buy fresh shrimp off the boats in Corpus on occasion too. Order fresh blackened redfish or baked flounder when I find it just came in here occasionally with a local restaurant. Just iced down and not frozen.

EDIT: Our local grocer gets in fresh fish too. I make a couple of really great bourbon or rum sauces with either blackberry, black cherry or apricot preserves as the mixer. Bake until the fish is flaky done and yummy. Now I can eat that on my diet.:D

23 hours ago, DieHardBrownsFan said:

Have to admit, I was surprised to see it listed on the Hard Times Cafe menu.

They have a number of chilis, tons of beer and pool tables.  If ever near Hagerstown, MD, check it out.

Chili Mac

Your choice of chili over spaghetti. All chili is served with homemade cornbread.

3-Way Chili Mac
Spaghetti, chili and cheese.

4-Way Chili Mac
Spaghetti, chili, cheese and onions.

5-Way Chili Mac
Spaghetti, chili, cheese, onions and beans.

Hard Times Traditional Chili

Our recipes are authentic and historically correct versions of the chili created on the turn-of-the-century cattle drives of the Southwest and in the Cincinnati chili parlors of the Midwest. All chili is served with homemade cornbread.

Texas Chili
Coarse ground beef cooked in its own juice, using an authentic turn of the century family spice blend and recipe.

Cincinnati Chili
Introduced in 1922 by Greek immigrants, it is a fine grind of beef with a tomato base and sweeter spices, including cinnamon.

Terlingua Red
A tribute to the Texas ghost town that hosted the first chili cook-off. A redder color and spicy kick of championship chilies.

Vegetarian Chili
Soy flakes cooked in a tomato base with fresh mushrooms, onions, green peppers and jalapenos

3 minutes ago, Sober Poet said:

Have to admit, I was surprised to see it listed on the Hard Times Cafe menu.

They have a number of chilis, tons of beer and pool tables.  If ever near Hagerstown, MD, check it out.

Chili Mac

Your choice of chili over spaghetti. All chili is served with homemade cornbread.

3-Way Chili Mac
Spaghetti, chili and cheese.

4-Way Chili Mac
Spaghetti, chili, cheese and onions.

5-Way Chili Mac
Spaghetti, chili, cheese, onions and beans.

Oh the wife just made another version of chili mac the other day only without spaghetti, she used a smaller spoon size macaroni, not bad at all.

AND she used the square, deep copper pot I bought her....."AS SEEN ON TV", cooks great easy to handle but there are a few quirks about cooking with it, good thing is it will go on stove or in the oven.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

ALSO I went back over the last 5-6 pages here, always some interesting ideas......plus that Chicago style beef sandwich has to be coming soon!

My wife makes her Chili with a special secret ingredient.....which I ain't disclosing.   But she will be entering it into My Kiwanis Club's Chili Cookoff on Saturday.     Maybe she can win!!!

Interesting. My wife never reads this board but guess what's in the crock pot? Chili!. I used the leanest hamburger meat I could find and filled it full of chopped up green & red Bell peppers, onion, pinto beans, diced tomatoes & sauce and appropriate spices. Now I just have to limit my intake the next few days.:D

58 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

My wife makes her Chili with a special secret ingredient.....which I ain't disclosing.   But she will be entering it into My Kiwanis Club's Chili Cookoff on Saturday.     Maybe she can win!!!

If she wins will you post the recipe?  :D