THE BROWNS BOARD

• Favorite GAMEDAY food ? ..... Dine in, carryout, *delivery or make at home.

mjp28

16 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

Man they do have some killer chicken paprikash.... mmmmmm... and yes mjp, I get the sampler every time I go to Al's... 

Big fan of Hopocan's for Barberton Chicken. Or Hodge's for a burger... 

I guess I didn't realize you were so close....but I see...you are from Canal Fulton.  Just FYI....as I said, I am only a couple of blocks from Al's.

Next time you go....you can swing buy me and buy me lunch!:D  Either at Al's or Hodges....another favorite place.  Best burgers in town.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Next time you make it down Texas way I'll have to have you over for Elgin Sausage on the grill Mike. You can eat it like a hot dog or you can serve it solo with sides. Either way it's good sausage from Elgin, Texas. Served with a Shiner Bock from Shiner, Texas and you're set to go back to Ohio with a smile. Nothin' better. All you have to do is take the straight shot up Tollway 130 about an hour from SA at 85-80 MPH (legal limits for that road with minimal traffic). Worth the tolls that they bill by license plate or windshield tag if your daughter has one. Be happy to entertain you and your family if they want to come along.       Bill

Where in Texas are you again?

5 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Interesting....have never seen that.

Oh I just mentioned that to the wife, she's made seafood pot pie for company from Ina Garten's recipe "The Barefoot Contessa", don't think we tried lobster pot pie....

.......but if you bring over a lobster she'll gladly make one for you. :D

17 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

Man they do have some killer chicken paprikash.... mmmmmm... and yes mjp, I get the sampler every time I go to Al's... 

Big fan of Hopocan's for Barberton Chicken. Or Hodge's for a burger... 

Geeezzz you guys are making me hungry! The wife's headed to Rulli's, great Youngstown area store less than 2 miles from our house.....time to add to the grocery list.

........oh my wife being Ukrainian and Hungarian makes a killer paprikash and Hungarian goulash from her dad's recipe, UMMMMMMM!

1 hour ago, The Gipper said:

Where in Texas are you again?

Just N of Austin in the country near Sun City.

All those old bastards try to assassinate you on the roads and in the grocery aisles with their cars and their motorized scooters respectively.:rolleyes:

39 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Just N of Austin in the country near Sun City.

All those old bastards try to assassinate you on the roads and in the grocery aisles with their cars and their motorized scooters respectively.:rolleyes:

Unfortunately, I may end up living not all that far away from you when my wife retires.  As you know my daughter lives in San Antonio....and though she is not officially engaged....it is more or less unofficial.  Which means she is likely going to be living there for the long run.  And I may not want to live too many more winters in the ice and snow, and since my son would likely be more transient  (i.e. less settled in where he may end up)....the likely destination would be to be near her.  While it may not be my first choice destination wise, being near family would be more of a priority.  I want no part of Florida to live in. I might like Southern Calif....but my wife wants no part of there (cost of living).  I may also like Arizona....somewhere near Sedona/Prescott.  My brother and several friends live in that area...but, like I said "if" grandkids come along, proximity to them would be more of a priority...I guess. But I would not really want to live in SA proper I don't think.  Hate to fight traffic.   I am a bit familiar with Boerne.  And with Fredericksburg.....though that may be a bit too far out, as would be  Johnny Manziel City (Kerrville) and Bandera.

The biggest problem would be dealing with all the DATs. :lol:

8 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Unfortunately, I may end up living not all that far away from you when my wife retires.  As you know my daughter lives in San Antonio....and though she is not officially engaged....it is more or less unofficial.  Which means she is likely going to be living there for the long run.  And I may not want to live too many more winters in the ice and snow, and since my son would likely be more transient  (i.e. less settled in where he may end up)....the likely destination would be to be near her.  While it may not be my first choice destination wise, being near family would be more of a priority.  I want no part of Florida to live in. I might like Southern Calif....but my wife wants no part of there (cost of living).  I may also like Arizona....somewhere near Sedona/Prescott.  My brother and several friends live in that area...but, like I said "if" grandkids come along, proximity to them would be more of a priority...I guess. But I would not really want to live in SA proper I don't think.  Hate to fight traffic.   I am a bit familiar with Boerne.  And with Fredericksburg.....though that may be a bit too far out, as would be  Johnny Manziel City (Kerrville) and Bandera.

The biggest problem would be dealing with all the DATs. :lol:

Since the completion of Toll road 130 from Georgetown to I-10 just E of SA, it is a straight shot and legal 80-85 mph trip of about 1 hour into the heart of SA. This is a great place to live and since the inception of Sun City there are multiple independent living, nursing home care and memory care units now in existence all within minutes of Sun City. Plus experienced health care providers used to dealing with geriatric medicine/care. As we get older we have the assurance that there are plenty of experts here for the elderly. I turn 71 next month and all my grandparents lived from ages 86-98, so that is reassuring to know I have experienced professionals nearby as I approach 100. It's now a major factor for remaining right here for us or moving here when you retire Gip. 

You are also invited to the same beer and sausage if you are down visiting your daughter like Mike does. Be happy to show you around particularly if you are looking for a home.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Since the completion of Toll road 130 from Georgetown to I-10 just E of SA, it is a straight shot and legal 80-85 mph trip of about 1 hour into the heart of SA. This is a great place to live and since the inception of Sun City there are multiple independent living, nursing home care and memory care units now in existence all within minutes of Sun City. Plus experienced health care providers used to dealing with geriatric medicine/care. As we get older we have the assurance that there are plenty of experts here for the elderly. I turn 71 next month and all my grandparents lived from ages 86-98, so that is reassuring to know I have experienced professionals nearby as I approach 100. It's now a major factor for remaining right here for us or moving here when you retire Gip. 

You are also invited to the same beer and sausage if you are down visiting your daughter like Mike does. Be happy to show you around particularly if you are looking for a home.

He needs to buy a cowboy hat and boots before he moves there however.  And he'll always be a 'damn yankee'.  One of my best friends from the Navy is from Amarillo.  He always wore the cowboy boots out on liberty.  We were in Korea for a time and he bought some snake skin ones.  I haven't heard from him for awhile.  I think he lives near San Antonio.

44 minutes ago, DieHardBrownsFan said:

He needs to buy a cowboy hat and boots before he moves there however.  And he'll always be a 'damn yankee'.  One of my best friends from the Navy is from Amarillo.  He always wore the cowboy boots out on liberty.  We were in Korea for a time and he bought some snake skin ones.  I haven't heard from him for awhile.  I think he lives near San Antonio.

My brother is a  REAL Cowboy.  He has been a ranch hand,  he has been an outfitter, he has owned ranches, he has sold ranches....and now he is actually a "college professor" (even though he has only a HS formal education plus Farrier school....who teaches "ranch techniques and horsemanship" The one thing he hates are phony fuyucking "urban" cowboys....who go around wearing the boots and the hat but who would not know a horse's arse from a horse's ears  (notice how those two words are anagrams of each other:rolleyes:.  )

So....no...in deference to the real thing...who are real professionals, I would never go around trying to look like a phony phucking cowboy. 

17 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

My brother is a  REAL Cowboy.  He has been a ranch hand,  he has been an outfitter, he has owned ranches, he has sold ranches....and now he is actually a "college professor" (even though he has only a HS formal education plus Farrier school....who teaches "ranch techniques and horsemanship" The one thing he hates are phony fuyucking "urban" cowboys....who go around wearing the boots and the hat but who would not know a horse's arse from a horse's ears  (notice how those two words are anagrams of each other:rolleyes:.  )

So....no...in deference to the real thing...who are real professionals, I would never go around trying to look like a phony phucking cowboy. 

Real cowboy my butt.

9 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Next time you make it down Texas way I'll have to have you over for Elgin Sausage on the grill Mike. You can eat it like a hot dog or you can serve it solo with sides. Either way it's good sausage from Elgin, Texas. Served with a Shiner Bock from Shiner, Texas and you're set to go back to Ohio with a smile. Nothin' better. All you have to do is take the straight shot up Tollway 130 about an hour from SA at 85-80 MPH (legal limits for that road with minimal traffic). Worth the tolls that they bill by license plate or windshield tag if your daughter has one. Be happy to entertain you and your family if they want to come along.       Bill

Bill,

Right now, Shiner Bock is on sale here for $12.99 a 12 pack (6 packs still $8.99). I've bought all 4 12 packs they had 2 weeks running & headed back for more tomorrow!  :P

BTW, just got (via USPS) my HEB order for Gebhardts & Adams chili powders. Will place an order soon with Penderys for some chilis.

Mike

1 minute ago, Dutch Oven said:

No way dude - he'll ask me to "Real cowboy his butt"... whatever that means. :lol:

Oh Geeezzzus. 

1 hour ago, Canton Mike said:

Bill,

Right now, Shiner Bock is on sale here for $12.99 a 12 pack (6 packs still $8.99). I've bought all 4 12 packs they had 2 weeks running & headed back for more tomorrow!  :P

BTW, just got (via USPS) my HEB order for Gebhardts & Adams chili powders. Will place an order soon with Penderys for some chilis.

Mike

We have bought seasoning and rubs for many years many online like Emeril's now available everywhere like Walmart. You can even make them yourself at home.

Best with chicken but rubs for nearly everything.

https://www.famousfoods.com/essencebam.html

31 minutes ago, mjp28 said:

We have bought seasoning and rubs for many years many online like Emeril's now available everywhere like Walmart. You can even make them yourself at home.

Best with chicken but rubs for nearly everything.

https://www.famousfoods.com/essencebam.html

I make all my own rubs. It started over 20 years ago when I, being less than pleased with store bought fried turkey rubs, started experimenting & developed a rub for deep fried turkey that's excellent & I never have to worry about it being "discontinued".

Mike

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Canton Mike said:

I make all my own rubs. It started over 20 years ago when I, being less than pleased with store bought fried turkey rubs, started experimenting & developed a rub for deep fried turkey that's excellent & I never have to worry about it being "discontinued".

Mike

You can even get the recipes for the "famous seasonings and rubs" on line and make them if you're interested. A jar is about $4.49 online.

One of our favorites from the food network  https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/emeril-lagasse/essence-rustic-rub-and-southwest-seasoning-3645476

Emeril's Southwest Seasoning:
  • 2 tablespoons chili powder
  • 2 teaspoons ground cumin
  • 2 tablespoons paprika
  • 1 teaspoon black pepper
  • 1 tablespoon ground coriander
  • 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • 1 tablespoon garlic powder
  • 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
  • 1 tablespoon salt
  • 1 tablespoon dried oregano

18 hours ago, DieHardBrownsFan said:

Real cowboy my butt.

You don't believe me that my brother has been a real cowboy?  

In the early 80s he worked on the Y-O ranch in Kerrville Texas

In Cody Wyoming he owned 20 acres of his own ...and then leased another 1500 from the BLM.  There he also worked for the Prince family on their huge ranch  Harold and Estelle Prince parents of Eric Prince...Blackwater and  Betsy DeVos).

In New Mexico...he negotiated the sale of ranch land to Ted Turner. 

Now he manages the ranch for Deep Springs College

In fact, here he is on the college website:

cattle-drive-600x450.jpg

https://www.deepsprings.edu/

• Upvote 1

Just sitting around Saturday  watching the end of the 2018 Winter Olympics, saw the men win the curling Gold Medal, woo-hoo. Curling! Like bowling only colder, beer optional. 

And Wedgewood Pizza day, 12" roasted red pepper, mushroom, black olive and extra cheese plus an 8" red with mozzarella......ummmmm on both

GO USA, almost over.

3 hours ago, mjp28 said:

Just sitting around Saturday  watching the end of the 2018 Winter Olympics, saw the men win the curling Gold Medal, woo-hoo. Curling! Like bowling only colder, beer optional. 

And Wedgewood Pizza day, 12" roasted red pepper, mushroom, black olive and extra cheese plus an 8" red with mozzarella......ummmmm on both

GO USA, almost over.

I think they should combine the alpine cross country ski shooters with the snowboard jumpers and see if the shooters can put a hole through a target on the snowboard as these guys are upside down. Make for a more exciting winter and a true test of combined team skills. :rolleyes:

10 hours ago, mjp28 said:

GO USA, almost over.

I was just thinking about what to eat for dinner today. Might have to drive to Austintown now. It's either that or NY boneless strip steaks on the grill smothered with portabella mushrooms in garlic butter

2 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

So I've been eagerly awaiting the results of you making the Italian beef sandwiches mjp.... :lol:

Well we're back on monthly menus again in February  and using up what's left in the freezer, will do the March menu this Monday or Tuesday.  It actually works very well with meal planning and shopping.......when I'm not in the freakin hospital, was in 3 times last year for about 87 days last year, really screws up the cookouts! Was in all of July, August and most of December, bummer. I love the monthly schedules and we do leave off days occasionally. I recommend it.

Well Italian beef will be coming up maybe late this week. It's better to plan, shop, then cook, it also sure beats excessively making trips to the burger joints! You know burger, fries, repeat. Believe it or not we only do a pizza weekend about two times a month with planning. And with better weather we cook out a LOT more.

The hard part like most things it starting. Now where are my d*mn taxes? :lol: 

20 hours ago, mjp28 said:

Well we're back on monthly menus again in February  and using up what's left in the freezer, will do the March menu this Monday or Tuesday.  It actually works very well with meal planning and shopping.......when I'm not in the freakin hospital, was in 3 times last year for about 87 days last year, really screws up the cookouts! Was in all of July, August and most of December, bummer. I love the monthly schedules and we do leave off days occasionally. I recommend it.

Well Italian beef will be coming up maybe late this week. It's better to plan, shop, then cook, it also sure beats excessively making trips to the burger joints! You know burger, fries, repeat. Believe it or not we only do a pizza weekend about two times a month with planning. And with better weather we cook out a LOT more.

The hard part like most things it starting. Now where are my d*mn taxes? :lol: 

A true Italian sandwich is very popular in upstate NY... Binghamton area to be specific. Spiedies!  Little marinated (Italian dressing) chunks of meat (any) grilled on a skewer and loaded onto a hunk of Italian bread. Absolutely delicious !

If you're an Italian in the Mahoning valley.....shame on you for not knowing. The best Italian restaurants in the world are here but none serve spiedies (speedys).

Easy to Google, easy to make. And there is a whole 3 day Spiedies and Balloons festival each year.