THE BROWNS BOARD

• Favorite GAMEDAY food ? ..... Dine in, carryout, *delivery or make at home.

mjp28

40 minutes ago, DieHardBrownsFan said:

Burritos and Chilitos

Worst 'Chili' I've ever had.  

Aquired taste? Many local treats are that way......and you better like cheese here!

43 minutes ago, mjp28 said:

Aquired taste? Many local treats are that way......and you better like cheese here!

Reminds me of the "clam" chowder my wife and I got at a restaurant in Cheyenne once. They said it was the specialty of the house and people came from miles around to get it. They were right about one thing, you could not use "clams" to describe it, only clam because that was the count in each of our bowls. We had to explain to them that my wife was raised on the water in R.I. and knew what real N.E. clam chowder was supposed to be and that wasn't it. Now living here in Texas I can see that your spaghetti up there in no way resembles chili. LOL!:P

7 hours ago, DieHardBrownsFan said:

Burritos and Chilitos

Agreed- Skyline and Gold Star are abominations. I'm a purist when it comes to food- give me spaghetti with marinara. Keep the frickin' chilli separate. 

Local stuff gets overblown. Wife is from Toledo, and for the life of me I don't get all warm and fuzzy about the "World Famous" Tony Packo's hot dog- cheese optional. It's OK bar food, but I wouldn't make a special trip to have one. It's like the Original Arthur Bryant's rib joint in KC- it was a dive when we visited 20 years ago. (though the food was better than Tony's) But like Packo's, the celebrity autographs on the wall are impressive. 

fbe1b5099cb8741e857c0d29a34e41e3--toledo-ohio-timeline-photos.jpg

1 hour ago, Dutch Oven said:

How anyone can eat Cincinnati chili is beyond me, it tastes like someone poured a blended pumpkin pie into chili. So weird. 

Oh my wife, the scratch cook, saw the picture and thought it was gross! I hope it isn't Cincinnati's finest dish I spent time in cinci during the 1970s visiting a friend in college,  later his wedding had some pretty good food......but that was eons ago.

I'll take Chicago and of course good ol' NE OHIO. :D 

......and Pittsburgh not bad!

10 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Reminds me of the "clam" chowder my wife and I got at a restaurant in Cheyenne once. They said it was the specialty of the house and people came from miles around to get it. They were right about one thing, you could not use "clams" to describe it, only clam because that was the count in each of our bowls. We had to explain to them that my wife was raised on the water in R.I. and knew what real N.E. clam chowder was supposed to be and that wasn't it. Now living here in Texas I can see that your spaghetti up there in no way resembles chili. LOL!:P

#1...I LOVE seafood, but I WILL NOT order it inland. If you have ever eaten good seafood on the coast, you'll understand.

#2...Cincinnati chili (IMHO) SUCKS! Family members LOVE it, but I was very disappointed. I like good, spicy chili & that means with NO BEANS!!!  For hotdogs, I "tweeked" a Mr Food coney sauce recipe that has become a favorite among friends.

Mike

8 hours ago, Canton Mike said:

#1...I LOVE seafood, but I WILL NOT order it inland. If you have ever eaten good seafood on the coast, you'll understand.

Mike

Totally agree Mike. We went to the docks in Maine for fresh lobster dinners when we visited wife's Mass. sister 2-3 years ago. Buy fresh shrimp off the boats in Corpus on occasion too. Order fresh blackened redfish or baked flounder when I find it just came in here occasionally with a local restaurant. Just iced down and not frozen.

EDIT: Our local grocer gets in fresh fish too. I make a couple of really great bourbon or rum sauces with either blackberry, black cherry or apricot preserves as the mixer. Bake until the fish is flaky done and yummy. Now I can eat that on my diet.:D

23 hours ago, DieHardBrownsFan said:

Have to admit, I was surprised to see it listed on the Hard Times Cafe menu.

They have a number of chilis, tons of beer and pool tables.  If ever near Hagerstown, MD, check it out.

Chili Mac

Your choice of chili over spaghetti. All chili is served with homemade cornbread.

3-Way Chili Mac
Spaghetti, chili and cheese.

4-Way Chili Mac
Spaghetti, chili, cheese and onions.

5-Way Chili Mac
Spaghetti, chili, cheese, onions and beans.

Hard Times Traditional Chili

Our recipes are authentic and historically correct versions of the chili created on the turn-of-the-century cattle drives of the Southwest and in the Cincinnati chili parlors of the Midwest. All chili is served with homemade cornbread.

Texas Chili
Coarse ground beef cooked in its own juice, using an authentic turn of the century family spice blend and recipe.

Cincinnati Chili
Introduced in 1922 by Greek immigrants, it is a fine grind of beef with a tomato base and sweeter spices, including cinnamon.

Terlingua Red
A tribute to the Texas ghost town that hosted the first chili cook-off. A redder color and spicy kick of championship chilies.

Vegetarian Chili
Soy flakes cooked in a tomato base with fresh mushrooms, onions, green peppers and jalapenos

3 minutes ago, Sober Poet said:

Have to admit, I was surprised to see it listed on the Hard Times Cafe menu.

They have a number of chilis, tons of beer and pool tables.  If ever near Hagerstown, MD, check it out.

Chili Mac

Your choice of chili over spaghetti. All chili is served with homemade cornbread.

3-Way Chili Mac
Spaghetti, chili and cheese.

4-Way Chili Mac
Spaghetti, chili, cheese and onions.

5-Way Chili Mac
Spaghetti, chili, cheese, onions and beans.

Oh the wife just made another version of chili mac the other day only without spaghetti, she used a smaller spoon size macaroni, not bad at all.

AND she used the square, deep copper pot I bought her....."AS SEEN ON TV", cooks great easy to handle but there are a few quirks about cooking with it, good thing is it will go on stove or in the oven.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

ALSO I went back over the last 5-6 pages here, always some interesting ideas......plus that Chicago style beef sandwich has to be coming soon!

Interesting. My wife never reads this board but guess what's in the crock pot? Chili!. I used the leanest hamburger meat I could find and filled it full of chopped up green & red Bell peppers, onion, pinto beans, diced tomatoes & sauce and appropriate spices. Now I just have to limit my intake the next few days.:D

58 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

My wife makes her Chili with a special secret ingredient.....which I ain't disclosing.   But she will be entering it into My Kiwanis Club's Chili Cookoff on Saturday.     Maybe she can win!!!

If she wins will you post the recipe?  :D

35 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Interesting. My wife never reads this board but guess what's in the crock pot? Chili!. I used the leanest hamburger meat I could find and filled it full of chopped up green & red Bell peppers, onion, pinto beans, diced tomatoes & sauce and appropriate spices. Now I just have to limit my intake the next few days.:D

I only put onions and stewed tomatoes in it, and of course the spices. 

Add the Pinto beans the last couple hours or so.  I like pinto beans in my chili.  Helps me out the next morning, if you know what I mean.

39 minutes ago, mjp28 said:

If she wins will you post the recipe?  :D

Not without her permission.

And for the person that suggested the Carolina Reaper....uhh...sorry...it is a very mild chili honestly.   Hers is actually very bland unless she uses her secret ingredient.   But that ingredient isn't necessarily a "spicy" addition.

Sampler Platter
.........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
$9
One cabbage roll, 1 pierogie, 1 sausage, small cabbage and dumplings, small chicken paprikash, bread and drink! ......I also like some nice cool sour cream with it.

Oh yes, ummmmmm, my food!!
.....why ever eat out of white bags, burger and fries? I got 1 BK Whopper and a small fry weeks back and paid over $7.

3 minutes ago, DieHardBrownsFan said:

II worked with a guy from Barberton, a retired cop who was also of Serbian  background.   He passed away a few years ago.   He said they have some good fried chicken down there also.

Yes, Barberton is famous for its fried Chicken...but it is not to everyone's taste.  The not so secret secret is that they fry it in lard.  And some just don't like that.  My wife will not eat it. 

But you have  White House Chicken,   Hopocan Gardens,  Belgrade Gardens,  The Village Inn.    ( a couple did close down: Terrace Gardens

Just now, DieHardBrownsFan said:

KFC was fried in lard back in the day (when it was still good).

That's the way my grandmother cooked and in her cast iron pans! Best cook I've ever known.

Years back as a treat I'd get a big bucket of extra crispy, a 12 pack of Strohs beer and a carton of cigarettes for grandma and we'd play cards......a really cool little woman!

5 hours ago, The Gipper said:

My wife makes her Chili with a special secret ingredient.....which I ain't disclosing.   But she will be entering it into My Kiwanis Club's Chili Cookoff on Saturday.     Maybe she can win!!!

I'm with Canton Mike- no beans in the chili please.  :)

Regarding seafood- I'm weird in that respect- I have one (of many) food rules. If it came out of the water, I don't eat it. Once upon a time I thought I might like grilled swordfish, but I was wrong. Way back, up in Alaska I took a few nibbles of my pal's alderwood smoked salmon, and didn't like it very much. I can put a shrimp in my mouth, and five minutes later, I'm still chewing on it. Lobster? Forget it. Vacationing with my pals in Bar Harbor I told them- "the only good lobster is a dead lobster". I'll happily cook them for you on one condition- you have to eat them. Just the sight of an oyster grosses me out. You'd think growing up on the shores of Lake Erie I would eat yellow perch that were caught only a few hours ago, but I've never warmed to that stuff.. 

23 minutes ago, hoorta said:

Regarding seafood- I'm weird in that respect- I have one (of many) food rules. If it came out of the water, I don't eat it. Once upon a time I thought I might like grilled swordfish, but I was wrong. Way back, up in Alaska I took a few nibbles of my pal's alderwood smoked salmon, and didn't like it very much. I can put a shrimp in my mouth, and five minutes later, I'm still chewing on it. Lobster? Forget it. Vacationing with my pals in Bar Harbor I told them- "the only good lobster is a dead lobster". I'll happily cook them for you on one condition- you have to eat them. Just the sight of an oyster grosses me out. You'd think growing up on the shores of Lake Erie I would eat yellow perch that were caught only a few hours ago, but I've never warmed to that stuff.. 

No seafood in my wife's chili.....but I do believe she uses beans. 

3 hours ago, hoorta said:

Hey Larry,

Some day go to The Black Pelican in Kitty Hawk, NC. Try the blackened tuna or at least the "grilled tuna bites with salsa". I get BOTH every trip & even "fish haters" in my family love these. Both are very flavorful without a "fishy" taste.

Mike

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, The Gipper said:

I can walk one block from my office and get the best of this sort of ethnic food in Northeast Ohio:

https://www.alscornerrestaurant.com/al-s-corner-restaurant-1

Thanks Gip...This one just made my "must eat there" list.

Mike

15 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

Make sure you check their hours before going, I think Al's is only open for lunch

Yeah, I did see that they are only open for lunch. Thanks.

Mike

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Canton Mike said:

Yeah, I did see that they are only open for lunch. Thanks.

Mike

Next time you make it down Texas way I'll have to have you over for Elgin Sausage on the grill Mike. You can eat it like a hot dog or you can serve it solo with sides. Either way it's good sausage from Elgin, Texas. Served with a Shiner Bock from Shiner, Texas and you're set to go back to Ohio with a smile. Nothin' better. All you have to do is take the straight shot up Tollway 130 about an hour from SA at 85-80 MPH (legal limits for that road with minimal traffic). Worth the tolls that they bill by license plate or windshield tag if your daughter has one. Be happy to entertain you and your family if they want to come along.       Bill