THE BROWNS BOARD

• Favorite GAMEDAY food ? ..... Dine in, carryout, *delivery or make at home.

mjp28

41 minutes ago, mjp28 said:

And anything rated BMS6 or higher is better than any USDA ranking including USDA CHOICE. I assume you meant PRIME :)  Amazing stuff if it's true and fair.

I've also read and have been told "each out for fake Kobe" but that goes for any meat and seafood like lobster, crab or monk fish that's just a cheap whitefish.

That's why it pays to go to a good meat store or butcher.

The stuff you learn on The Browns Board including good GAMEDAY food !

I'd have to be declared legally blind to not notice the difference between BMS8 and anything below. FWIW, I've actually (on very rare occasions) seen stuff in the DLM butcher counter that was graded US Prime that could conceivably have qualified as BMS8, certainly BMS6. If I ever see any in the future, I'll post pictures...  :)  Not the below, the marbling on those steaks is insane.. So is the price...   

https://www.crowdcow.com/wagyu?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpcnb&utm_campaign=G_S_EC_NB_NTF_JapaneseWagyu&utm_term=%2Bkobe %2Bbeef&utm_content=427874888393&gclid=CjwKCAiAu8SABhAxEiwAsodSZLHXb2kBuMDA_FoZVwu9eQOVoqNokFkjB5VfwZOITm4IvmHOFBgC3BoCMF0QAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

And now we have "olive wagyu" only from 2,000 contented cows fed on olive pulp. Savor that with a bottle of 2015 Chateau Petrus, a mere $4,000 a bottle- if you can find any for sale.  :)  

It's the law of supply and demand. Petrus produces around 2,500 cases (30,000 bottles) of wine every year. There's more than 30,000 people in the world willing to pay the asking price- or even more people willing to pay $1,000 a pound for uber boutique beef.  :)  

I buy prime all the time.  I also age my steaks in the fridge.  Just put them on a rack in the hydrator section of the fridge...crisper for some brands.  Wrap them in cheese cloth for a few days to absorb excess moisture, unwrap and let age for a week or so.  You get enough break down in the fibers to give you a great steak.

Here is a pretty decent method to age your steaks in a hurry.  I have done it many times with good results.  We have a Japanese specialty store not all that far from the house where I can buy the koji.  It isn't expensive.

This Japanese fungus can dry-age a steak in 48 hours. Here's how. | Popular Science (popsci.com)

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, ballpeen said:

I buy prime all the time.  I also age my steaks in the fridge.  Just put them on a rack in the hydrator section of the fridge...crisper for some brands.  Wrap them in cheese cloth for a few days to absorb excess moisture, unwrap and let age for a week or so.  You get enough break down in the fibers to give you a great steak.

Here is a pretty decent method to age your steaks in a hurry.  I have done it many times with good results.  We have a Japanese specialty store not all that far from the house where I can buy the koji.  It isn't expensive.

This Japanese fungus can dry-age a steak in 48 hours. Here's how. | Popular Science (popsci.com)

It figures Thurston Howell, the III buys only Prime.😁

5 hours ago, ballpeen said:

That might be worth a try to age your own steaks.

ALSO there are some "shady" cheap stores and restaurants that advertise prime or aged steaks that are not even close.

Same with seafood I've seen reports on tv where in NYC where they went to dozens of shady restaurants that advertised monk or snapper and it was really junk fish.

"Caveat emptor" buyer beware on buying anything that just sounds too good to be true.   ;)

On 1/28/2021 at 9:40 AM, DieHardBrownsFan said:

It figures Thurston Howell, the III buys only Prime.😁

Yes...... he knows his  meat !

Now grilling 🥩 steaks coming up next.

depositphotos_12254943-stock-photo-grilled-meat.jpg

10 hours ago, mjp28 said:

Yes...... he knows his  meat !

Now grilling 🥩 steaks coming up next.

depositphotos_12254943-stock-photo-grilled-meat.jpg

Change those potatoes out for some fried yucca root and then you got yourself a real man's meal.😋 BTW yucca is to Venezuela as potatoes are to the US. They really have far more of a distinct flavor than the more bland potato. I rarely find it here except for the grocer over on the Mexican-American side of town. They really are good if you keep an open mind.

Wow I didn't know that thee were so many ways to cook yucca roots. Plus there are a lot of nutritional properties in that root.

Cuban-Style Yuca

Made with yuca, or cassava, a Latin American root vegetable similar to potatoes, this simple dish is the way my granny used to make it.
Prep:  20 mins  Cook:  10 mins  Total:  30 mins  Servings:  6  Yield6 servings
Cuban-Style Yuca

Ingredients

Ingredient Checklist
  • 2 pounds yuca, peeled and sliced lengthwise
  • ½ teaspoon salt
  • ¼ cup olive oil
  • ½ onion, diced
  • 4 cloves garlic, minced
  • ½ teaspoon fresh lemon juice

Directions

Instructions Checklist
  • Step 1

Place the yuca into a pan and fill with enough water to cover. Stir in salt. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, cover, and cook until tender, about 15 minutes. Drain, and place yucca on a serving plate.

• Step 2

Meanwhile, place the olive oil, onion, garlic, and lemon juice into a pan. Cook over medium heat about 5 minutes. Pour the hot olive oil mixture over the yuca, and serve immediately.

Nutrition Facts

Per Serving:

268 calories; protein 5.7g; carbohydrates 43.4g; fat 9g; sodium 204mg.

4 hours ago, gumby73 said:

Is the proper pronounce reek-ation of the root pronounced like.... Yuck' ah'  ?  🤒....

fc05f82f544f6636667f31a06faaa964.jpg   move over Yuck'ah !  🤫

It's what's for breakfast,  lunch, supper and a midnight snack !

cleveland_browns_forum_940.png.b1a9c344d7f40890b0046c59e6906365.png

On 1/28/2021 at 11:39 AM, mjp28 said:

ALSO there are some "shady" cheap stores and restaurants that advertise prime or aged steaks that are not even close.

Same with seafood I've seen reports on tv where in NYC where they went to dozens of shady restaurants that advertised monk or snapper and it was really junk fish.

"Caveat emptor" buyer beware on buying anything that just sounds too good to be true.   ;)

I've bought Prime burgers from Allen Brothers.  You can taste the difference, but nothing extreme.  I've never bought prime steaks.  Settle for Choice.  Some are good, some are tough.

31 minutes ago, DieHardBrownsFan said:

I've bought Prime burgers from Allen Brothers.  You can taste the difference, but nothing extreme.  I've never bought prime steaks.  Settle for Choice.  Some are good, some are tough.

I've read a lot of articles about beef besides my own opinions on the subject. First USDA PRIME Hamburgers ?  I don't really know about that unless it's somebody's marketing ploy.

Read this and decide for yourself, it would be expensive !  NOTE:  not one of my usual sites but makes sense.  https://thegrocerystoreguy.com/is-prime-steak-worth-it

What percentage of steaks are Prime?

Approximately 2% of steaks will be USDA Prime. That’s due to the fact that only about five percent of all beef graded by the USDA qualifies for Prime distinction. Prime is often reserved for high-end restaurants and specialty grocers.

On the other hand, about 70% of all beef graded by the USDA gets the Choice distinction.

........and This explains why Prime is so hard to come by in grocery stores. It also explains why Prime is so much more expensive.   Remember, you should look for the USDA shield with the Prime label. Be on the lookout for grocery stores that just have the word “prime” in their labeling of meat. Without that shield, it’s not really Prime grade.

Edited by mjp28

On 1/28/2021 at 11:39 AM, mjp28 said:

No doubt.  

If I was buying a packaged, slab of rib meat to cut my own steaks,  no, I probably couldn't tell if it is prime or not.  On a cut steak at the meat counter I can.  

As for seafood, that has been a problem for a long time, even at restaurants.  I don't buy fish at a store to cook at home.  There is a guy who has a trout farm and he sells every now and then at various markets around town in the summer...I will buy from him now and then.  I buy and cook later that afternoon.  I know what a trout looks like.

Plus, fish is like having company over.  It's ok for a day or so, but after that it starts to stink.

• Upvote 1

A follow-up on USDA vs Wagyu and for more see the link.  https://thegrocerystoreguy.com/is-prime-steak-worth-it

USDA Prime vs Wagyu beef; which is better?

Wagyu cattle have Japanese bloodlines and are raised in the US and other countries. Wagyu is extremely marbled. Even more than USDA Prime. It is also about twice the price of USDA Prime.

Japanese Wagyu is heavily regulated, and progeny testing is mandatory. This ensures people have only the highest quality meat.

Wagyu has a distinctive flavor and texture, but Japan stopped exporting Wagyu cattle in 1997.

Now, many American Wagyu is cross-bred with Angus to make them better adapted to the local climates and diseases. It also means that they are not as heavily regulated as Japanese Wagyu.

Even though American Wagyu does not have enforceable standards, the steaks are remarkable, with up to 30% fat. Wagyu fat melts at a lower temperature, resulting in a rich, buttery flavor. This makes it delicious and even better than Prime.

If you ever have the opportunity to eat Wagyu steak, you should absolutely do it.

9 hours ago, mjp28 said:

A follow-up on USDA vs Wagyu and for more see the link.  https://thegrocerystoreguy.com/is-prime-steak-worth-it

USDA Prime vs Wagyu beef; which is better?

Wagyu cattle have Japanese bloodlines and are raised in the US and other countries. Wagyu is extremely marbled. Even more than USDA Prime. It is also about twice the price of USDA Prime.

Japanese Wagyu is heavily regulated, and progeny testing is mandatory. This ensures people have only the highest quality meat.

Wagyu has a distinctive flavor and texture, but Japan stopped exporting Wagyu cattle in 1997.

Now, many American Wagyu is cross-bred with Angus to make them better adapted to the local climates and diseases. It also means that they are not as heavily regulated as Japanese Wagyu.

Even though American Wagyu does not have enforceable standards, the steaks are remarkable, with up to 30% fat. Wagyu fat melts at a lower temperature, resulting in a rich, buttery flavor. This makes it delicious and even better than Prime.

If you ever have the opportunity to eat Wagyu steak, you should absolutely do it.

Oh BS! Just shoot one of these an' cure it on a rope like in the good ole days. 🤠😂

texas longhorn cattle, about texas longhorn cattle, texas longhorn cattle breed, texas longhorn cattle breed info, texas longhorn cattle breed facts, texas longhorn cattle breeders, texas longhorn cattle behavior, texas longhorn cattle color, texas longhorn cattle care, caring texas longhorn cattle, texas longhorn cattle coat color, texas longhorn cattle characteristics, texas longhorn cattle facts, texas longhorn cattle for meat, texas longhorn cattle for milk, texas longhorn cattle farms, texas longhorn cattle farming, texas longhorn cattle history, texas longhorn cattle info, texas longhorn cattle images, texas longhorn cattle meat, texas longhorn cattle milk, texas longhorn cattle origin, texas longhorn cattle pictures, texas longhorn cattle photos, texas longhorn cattle rarity, raising texas longhorn cattle, texas longhorn cattle rearing, texas longhorn cattle size, texas longhorn cattle temperament, texas longhorn cattle uses, texas longhorn cattle varieties, texas longhorn cattle weight

3 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Oh BS! Just shoot one of these an' cure it on a rope like in the good ole days. 🤠😂

texas longhorn cattle, about texas longhorn cattle, texas longhorn cattle breed, texas longhorn cattle breed info, texas longhorn cattle breed facts, texas longhorn cattle breeders, texas longhorn cattle behavior, texas longhorn cattle color, texas longhorn cattle care, caring texas longhorn cattle, texas longhorn cattle coat color, texas longhorn cattle characteristics, texas longhorn cattle facts, texas longhorn cattle for meat, texas longhorn cattle for milk, texas longhorn cattle farms, texas longhorn cattle farming, texas longhorn cattle history, texas longhorn cattle info, texas longhorn cattle images, texas longhorn cattle meat, texas longhorn cattle milk, texas longhorn cattle origin, texas longhorn cattle pictures, texas longhorn cattle photos, texas longhorn cattle rarity, raising texas longhorn cattle, texas longhorn cattle rearing, texas longhorn cattle size, texas longhorn cattle temperament, texas longhorn cattle uses, texas longhorn cattle varieties, texas longhorn cattle weight

Some good ol' Beef it's what's for Dinner......and get a big roaring campfire going.  Cookie getting some vittles whipped up with the black coffee on the big oll' well worn grill.

Someone is playing the harmonica as the sun is just setting and Sam Elliott stops by for some good stories while Cookie throws some potatoes and some big thick t-bones and porterhouses on the now red hot grill over the glowing red hot embers.  Just then TexAG and his buddies roll in.  Tour fnally chuggs in in is his old 1969 VW van and we're all set.

We all gather around the well worn old table Sam gets out his trusty old 10" Bowie 🔪 knife and passes it around to carve up the big sizzling steaks and we dig in.

Afterwards we kick back with some good whiskey and fine cigars. Sam gets out his nice old Colt Peacemaker .45 and we blast some cans off of the fence and more stories.

And nobody mentioned USDA or Wagyu marbeling. Oh yeah....... ;)

• Haha 1

On 1/31/2021 at 1:05 PM, LBC mike said:

ordered this yesterday.  they are closed on Sundays though

Excellent !  Looks like a good old Italian style pizza.  Ummmm.

1 hour ago, ballpeen said:

Sauce on top say Chicago deep dish to me

Yes like the thick crust 🍕 Chicago's Giordano's original pizza on Rush Street......my favorite way back when.

True old school Italian pizza is flater and with less toppings than "American style" pizza.    Ummmm pizza a classic GAMEDAY or anyday meal.

A San Marzano's original pizza pictured below.

san_marzano_pizza.jpg

SUPER BOWL 55 is just around the corner so it's time to start planning for the GAMEDAY appetizers and meals. Here's a real quick and easy one from CENTO fine foods to try in only 5 minutes.   Check out the link for other recipe ideas.

quick_easy_bruschetta.jpg

Screenshot_2021-02-04_204410.jpg

2 minutes ago, ATOM said:

you home mjp ? 

i may do a fondue or maybe a chilli  not sure yet 

Today is my first full day home.  I'm beat but glad to be here.......and of course having some home cookin' .  :D

• Like 2

13 hours ago, LBC mike said:

no indication of develed eggs?😳

My wife makes great deviled eggs that will go on the list.  I have one other idea too.

18 minutes ago, DieHardBrownsFan said:

My Mom used to make deviled eggs when I was a kid.  Haven't had them in decades.

We got a quick steam up to 7 egg boiler awhile back real quick and easy when you want boiled eggs for snacks or a small batch of 👿 deviled eggs.  

Now we boil in a pot for more eggs.

........oh the wife just told me that she bought a new one, not used yet.

With SUPER BOWL 55 here this is a quick and easy recipe similar to one I had previously posted for  ROAST BEEF SLIDERS this one from Mr Food. 

https://www.mrfood.com/Sandwiches/game-day-roast-beef-sliders

This roast beef recipe is the game day half-time treat you've been looking for! Made with Hawaiian-style rolls, thinly sliced deli roast beef, provolone, and--we love this part-- it's topped with roasted red peppers! They'll be gone long before the game comes back on. Our Game Day Roast Beef Sliders will definitely steal the half-time show.

SERVES 12.   COOK TIME 20-25  MINUTES

What You'll Need

• 1 (12-count) package Hawaiian sweet rolls
  • 1 (6.5-ounce) container refrigerated garlic-herb cheese spread
  • 1 pound thinly sliced deli roast beef
  • 1 (12-ounce) jar roasted red pepper strips, drained and patted dry, sliced into 1/4-inch strips
  • 6 slices provolone cheese
  • 2 teaspoons Montreal steak seasoning
  • 3/4 cup crispy fried onions

What to Do

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
  2. Slice rolls in half all at once (do not separate them) and spread both halves of the cut sides with garlic-herb cheese spread. Place bottom half of rolls on baking sheet and top with roast beef, red pepper strips, and provolone cheese. Sprinkle with seasoning and top with fried onions. Place the top half of rolls over fried onions and cover with aluminum foil.
  3. Right before serving, bake 20 to 25 minutes or until heated through. Slice between the rolls; this way it’s nice and easy for everyone to grab their very own slider.

Game Day Favorites

Roast-Beef-Slider_ArticleImage-CategoryPage_ID-2905587.jpg