THE BROWNS BOARD

• Favorite GAMEDAY food ? ..... Dine in, carryout, *delivery or make at home.

mjp28

14 minutes ago, mjp28 said:

I think that is one of your favorite dishes, nice combo with the beans and rice and hot sausage......not bad.

When you are raised on the La. border of SE Texas, you got to love red beans and rice. Some Texas sausage made in Elgin, Tx. just E of Austin is a perfect compliment. And you can't go wrong with one of Nero's exports from his native soil.🍲🍷😋

PS-and did you know that the area around Beaumont is one of the largest rice growing regions in N. America?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ATOM said:

love the flat tops I used mine last night.

I was thinking about your grill when I saw his pictures.  Everybody that I know who has one loves them.  They lived next door to us and the parents moved down to Columbus to be near the kids and grandkids.  BIG Ohio State fans.

........oh I'll think about the menu.  Brats, sausage 🌭 and sauerkraut is a good start.  Appetizers?  Side dish?  Grill stuff?  Good beer?

On 12/27/2020 at 7:51 AM, TexasAg1969 said:

Today Zatarain's Red Beans and Rice with two Elgin Hot Sausages cut up, browned and thrown in the pot with rest. And the last of a nice Tempranillo from Spain to wash it down.

Popeyes makes some outstanding red beans and rice.

6 minutes ago, mjp28 said:

I was thinking about your grill when I saw his pictures.  Everybody that I know who has one loves them.  They lived next door to us and the parents moved down to Columbus to be near the kids and grandkids.  BIG Ohio State fans.

........oh I'll think about the menu.  Brats, sausage 🌭 and sauerkraut is a good start.  Appetizers?  Side dish?  Grill stuff?

a side for sure these are awesome meats cant wait to dig in as we watch The Bucks play 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ATOM said:

a side for sure these are awesome meats cant wait to dig in as we watch The Bucks play 

Ok syd (and the rest of you) I  was thinking side dish but also had something like this in mind a bratwurst and sauerkraut dish, great for a BROWNS or BUCKEYES GAME !   (If you want another side dish let me know.  We've made this dish with brats, sausage even kielbasa with slight tweeks.)

A good old favorite dish BRATWURST STEWED WITH SAUERKRAUT easy to make and delicious. Great for a GAMEDAY or a hearty meal. This version is from the Food Network..... with my notes.

Level: Easy. Total time:. 1 hr  15 minutes. Prep time: 10 minutes  Cook time  1 hr 5 minutes. Yield:. 8 to 10  servings

Wisconsin may be the cheese state, but bratwurst (ground meat sausages that are grilled, or in this case, pan-fried) are the state's culinary claim to fame. Due largely to residents' German ancestry, brats are a common site at butcher shops, restaurants and even baseball stadiums. (Madison, Wisconsin is home to an annual "Brat Fest") Michael Symon's simple recipe calls for the links to be cooked with onions, garlic and tangy sauerkraut and then served on a baguette.

Ingredients

2 tablespoons oil

2 pounds fresh bratwurst links

2 onions, chopped

2 garlic cloves, minced

3 cups chicken stock

1 tablespoon paprika

1 tablespoon caraway seed......for us caraway seeds are optional

4 cups sauerkraut, drained

2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill

1 baguette. or other sub type buns, Italian or French are nice

DIRECTIONS........easy, huh ?
  1. In a large pan, heat oil over high heat. Brown bratwurst in oil and reduce heat to medium. Add onions and garlic and cook until lightly caramelized.
  2.  Add stock, paprika, caraway seeds, and sauerkraut and simmer for 45 minutes. 
  3.  Remove from heat and stir in fresh dill. Serve on baguette or other large buns.

1382540721963.jpeg

11 hours ago, ATOM said:

im more of a bud man 

I wonder tho has anyone ever tried popeyes turkey they offer for thanksgiving ?

We need to send you to Europe to drink real beer. Boston lager is in between Bud and the real stuff. Try a Samuel Smith Oatmeal Stout.

16 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

We need to send you to Europe to drink real beer. Boston lager is in between Bud and the real stuff. Try a Samuel Smith Oatmeal Stout.

I like a pilsner but was looking for a good Lager with more taste and tried a 6 pack of Sam Adams Boston Lager  from Wedgewood Pizza to go with our  pizza of  and it was pretty good.  I have switched to other beers but keep coming back to the Sam Adams.

Also good with meals like the bratwurst and sauerkraut dish above.  :)

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, mjp28 said:

Ok syd (and the rest of you) I  was thinking side dish but also had something like this in mind a bratwurst and sauerkraut dish, great for a BROWNS or BUCKEYES GAME !   (If you want another side dish let me know.  We've made this dish with brats, sausage even kielbasa with slight tweeks.)

A good old favorite dish BRATWURST STEWED WITH SAUERKRAUT easy to make and delicious. Great for a GAMEDAY or a hearty meal. This version is from the Food Network..... with my notes.

Level: Easy. Total time:. 1 hr  15 minutes. Prep time: 10 minutes  Cook time  1 hr 5 minutes. Yield:. 8 to 10  servings

Wisconsin may be the cheese state, but bratwurst (ground meat sausages that are grilled, or in this case, pan-fried) are the state's culinary claim to fame. Due largely to residents' German ancestry, brats are a common site at butcher shops, restaurants and even baseball stadiums. (Madison, Wisconsin is home to an annual "Brat Fest") Michael Symon's simple recipe calls for the links to be cooked with onions, garlic and tangy sauerkraut and then served on a baguette.

Ingredients

2 tablespoons oil

2 pounds fresh bratwurst links

2 onions, chopped

2 garlic cloves, minced

3 cups chicken stock

1 tablespoon paprika

1 tablespoon caraway seed......for us caraway seeds are optional

4 cups sauerkraut, drained

2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill

1 baguette. or other sub type buns, Italian or French are nice

DIRECTIONS........easy, huh ?
  1. In a large pan, heat oil over high heat. Brown bratwurst in oil and reduce heat to medium. Add onions and garlic and cook until lightly caramelized.
  2.  Add stock, paprika, caraway seeds, and sauerkraut and simmer for 45 minutes. 
  3.  Remove from heat and stir in fresh dill. Serve on baguette or other large buns.

1382540721963.jpeg

it looks damn good not sure yet we also have bahhammamommas which i would just put on hot mustard and kraute

5 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

i live in portland and we have so many different beers it can drive you crazy

9 hours ago, ATOM said:

it looks damn good not sure yet we also have bahhammamommas which i would just put on hot mustard and kraute

You could always put this recipe away for another day or use it for ideas.  You have a good combo of meat and kraut to throw on the flat top.  :)

~ HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE ~

Any special New Year's Eve food dishes out there ?  New Year's Day spreads while watching weekend football ?

GO BUCKEYES and BROWNS this weekend !    :D

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, SdBacker80 said:

Rib Roast Tonight- Finished it Medium Rare. Happy New Year  

Oh yes you can't miss with that !  And SD have a healthy and happy new year, somehow 2021 just has a nice ring to it.

Bon appetit !

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, mjp28 said:

Oh yes you can't miss with that !  And SD have a healthy and happy new year, somehow 2021 just has a nice ring to it.

Bon appetit !

Yep-for the last day of 2020 I made my own 1/2 lb. "mustardburger" with 98% lean hamburger meat.and opened a bottle of 2012 Honig Napa Cabernet Sauvignon and had two full glasses because the expert opinion was that you have to do so in two days because it goes downhill quick since it is in a "prime time" opening window. Just to be sure I used a little device to suck all the air out to keep until this afternoon. The rest I finish after I spend the day today helping my son move into his newly completed home. Their first unrented abode.🤸‍♂️🤸‍♀️

• Like 1

New Years day spells Hoppin' John in this house.

To make a long story short, think black eyed peas simmered in chicken broth with a trinity of veggies and some smoked salt pork. Serve over some rice.

My trinity for this isn't classic.  I use onion, celery, and diced carrots.  To get my green, I use half a can of turnip greens which I press to dry, then chop.  The other half of the can gets eaten by me as I am creating this mix.  There is a bit more to this as far as steps, like soaking the salt pork all night to reduce the salt, but time to get this started.  It doesn't take long to prep, but it tastes best if you let it simmer in the pot for 4-5 hours to allow the flavors to meld.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, ballpeen said:

New Years day spells Hoppin' John in this house.

To make a long story short, think black eyed peas simmered in chicken broth with a trinity of veggies and some smoked salt pork. Serve over some rice.

My trinity for this isn't classic.  I use onion, celery, and diced carrots.  To get my green, I use half a can of turnip greens which I press to dry, then chop.  The other half of the can gets eaten by me as I am creating this mix.  There is a bit more to this as far as steps, like soaking the salt pork all night to reduce the salt, but time to get this started.  It doesn't take long to prep, but it tastes best if you let it simmer in the pot for 4-5 hours to allow the flavors to meld.

You got a dime for good luck to put in the black-eyed peas?

https://tastykitchen.com/blog/2010/12/a-tasty-recipe-new-years-black-eyed-peas/

"The fundamentals remain unchanged: black-eyed peas and a dime. The one who finds the dime will also find luck in the coming year."

• Upvote 1

On 12/28/2020 at 7:40 PM, DieHardBrownsFan said:

Popeyes makes some outstanding red beans and rice.

My personal opinion, chopped up chicken livers put red beans and rice over the top. And Popeyes puts them in their dirty rice.

Chopped up chicken livers in the ground beef and rice mixture are also the key to my Mom's cabbage rolls.

And while we're on New Year's Day delicacies, from my Czech-Polish NW PA roots - kielbasa, fried onions and cabbage and pierogies. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, AP1 said:

My personal opinion, chopped up chicken livers put red beans and rice over the top. And Popeyes puts them in their dirty rice.

Chopped up chicken livers in the ground beef and rice mixture are also the key to my Mom's cabbage rolls.

And while we're on New Year's Day delicacies, from my Czech-Polish NW PA roots - kielbasa, fried onions and cabbage and pierogies. 

I love chicken livers including as an appetizer wrapped in bacon with a toothpick,. ummmmmm I can eat a bunch before or during  GAMEDAY !

I'm half Ukrainian and half Irish/English and my wife the scratch cook is Ukrainian and Hungarian so we cook hunkie food and anything else.  Mmmmm I could go for some good hunkie cooking about now.   :P

So a good bon appetit new year to you all !

• Upvote 2