THE BROWNS BOARD

• Favorite GAMEDAY food ? ..... Dine in, carryout, *delivery or make at home.

mjp28

15 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Charcoal huh?  What ya got there is colon cancer on a bone. Just let it ripen a few years.🧐😁

a close friend uses coconut briskets instead of the usual charcoal.

Much healthier. I haven't researched it yet....

I'm always searching for new & simple seasonings & found a GREAT one for steak & pork.......

7-2-2.......

7 -Tblsp Kosher salt (Diamond Crystal brand. If another brand, drop it to 4)

2 -Tblsp fresh, coarse ground black pepper

2 -Tblsp GRANULATED garlic

I had Diamond Crystal, so I used the 7 tablespoons...it was great on grilled filet & grilled pork tenderloin & will remain my "go to" on those cuts of meat. The garlic MUST be granulated, NOT garlic powder.

It's a very simple rub & very easy for me to remember (no small feat at my age).

Mike

• Upvote 1

Many, many years ago my late father-in-law gave us a few Emeril's seasonings i believe it was southwestern and original we really liked them l bought a 5 pack. Now I'm having trouble finding the 5 packs but you can find individual or 2 or 3 packs from Amazon, the best prices seem to be walmart.

I've got Weber grilling books as gifts and they have their own grilling seasoning blends I might try soon.  So easy to try and use on steak, pork, chicken, whatever. There are make your own at home knockoff recipes online.  

617LrXsCtwL._SX425_PIbundle-2,TopRight,0,0_AA425SH20_.jpg

41WVroYaU6L._AC_UL320_.jpg

Today's Special:  Portuguese Soup..........................very easy to make

In 6 TBS of olive oil saute' 2 finely chopped medium onions and 3 tsp from jar of wet minced garlic

When just browning add in 1 Lb sausage of your choice sliced in 1/3 in slices and continue to saute' about 6-8 min. (I like Meyers' Elgin, Tx. Smoked Sausage)

Add 2 cups water, 16 oz. catsup (I use Heinz) and 2  32 oz. cartons of beef broth and 1/3 to 1/2 cup vinegar............this will be all the liquid you need.

To this now add about 1/2 of a chopped cabbage of medium to medium large size, 1 regular can of kidney beans (drained) and 12 small red potatoes cut in 1/2 to 1/3

Let it boil then turn down to a medium boil for about 35-40 minutes (test the potatoes to be sure)

Dip out whatever amount you are hungry for and enjoy. This stuff is yummmmmmyyyyy!😋

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, mjp28 said:

My wife liked all of your selections especially the cookie ones.

I always have a suggestion for all the cookie and candy makers. Buy whatever nut you like, make whatever cookie/candy you want. Bake the cookies/candy 

and eat the nuts as a snack during games. Yuck nuts in cookies and candy.🤢🤮

BTW next game I will put in Old Aunt Odie's famous New England Fudge recipe. It has no nuts to ruin it and is the best damn fudge you will ever taste in your life.😋

9 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

I always have a suggestion for all the cookie and candy makers. Buy whatever nut you like, make whatever cookie/candy you want. Bake the cookies/candy 

BTW next game I will put in Old Aunt Odie's famous New England Fudge recipe. It has no nuts to ruin it and is the best damn fudge you will ever taste in your life.😋

Yes we're stocked up on cashews, peanuts, almonds, Virgina Diner peanuts (better!)  and a new one butter coated peanuts...... sinfully delicious !

Great for football like right now.     :D

10 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

I live gettin a nut.

• Haha 1

BROWNS at Cowboys GAMEDAY halftime and after game snacks today.    One of our easy favorites appetizers olives, chips and spinach artichoke dip, salad main meal grilled sweet Italian pork sausage links with onions and green peppers, potato salad and munchies during the game.

Quick and delicious !

GO BROWNS, important win today.......baby !

• Upvote 1

BEER-BASTED SAUSAGE, from Mr Food another quick and delicious. GAMEDAY  meal.   https://www.mrfood.com/Pork/Beer-Basted-Sausage

SERVES 3    COOK TIME 25  Min

What goes best with Oktoberfest? Beer, of course! So tap the keg and turn up the oom-pah for a tasty celebration that includes this easy recipe for our Beer-Basted Sausage. This recipe is a classic German way to celebreate out favorite time of year. With flavors this delicious, everyone will be willing to put on their lederhosen!  Perfect for GAMEDAY or anyday meals too.

What You'll Need

2 tablespoons canola oil

3 onions, peeled, quartered, and sliced very thin

1/8 teaspoon salt

1/8 teaspoon black pepper

2 tablespoons spicy brown mustard

1 (1-pound) package bratwurst (8 sausages)

1/2 cup beer

What to Do

In a large skillet over medium-low heat, heat oil until hot. Add onions and saute 10 minutes, or until tender and beginning to brown, stirring often. Season onions with salt and pepper then stir in mustard.

Add bratwurst and cook 10 to 12 minutes, or until sausages are no longer pink in center. Stir in the beer and simmer 2 to 3 minutes. Serve bratwurst with the onions.

Check This Out!

Want more German-inspired recipes? Check out our collection of Tradtional German Recipes! 

Need more sausage? Try our Country Sausage Soup or our Chicken Sausage Gumbo!

Love cooking with beer? Make our Beer-Brined Pork Chops or our Beer-Basted Rib Eye Roast.

If you love these recipes, then you'll love this FREE eCookbook!

International Favorites: 6 Menus From Around The World

Beer-Basted-Sausage_Large400_ID-3502152.jpg

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, mjp28 said:

Quick and delicious !

GO BROWNS, important win today.......baby !

Bet you were waitin' for dear ole Aunt Odie's New England (R.I.) Fudge. It keeps away coronavirus , but kills you with a coronary. Very addicting.

Use a buttered (use a stick to coat it) 9 X 9 glass pan to pour the following once you have completed the process below:

4 Cups sugar

4 squares Bakers Unsweetened Chocolate

1- 14 oz can evaporated milk

Cook that in a deep pan and when it starts to boil add 1 stick real butter and keep it at a medium boil while stirring constantly so nothing burns on the bottom.

After 10--15 min. drop about a 1/4 teaspoon of it in a small bowl of cold tapwater and see if you can form a soft ball with it. Keep doing that until you do that easily.

When it gets to the easy soft ball stage remove it from the heat add it two really heaping Tablespoons of marshmallow cream and 1 teaspoon of real vanilla extract.

Sit down and watch football while you continue to stir the cooling fudge until it starts to semi-set. You will need to put it on a hotpad in your lap because this takes

15-20 minutes usually. The way you know it is starting to set is to dribble a spoonful with your stirring spoon across the pan of cooling fudge. it it starts to keep the ridge 

you pour across it, then it is just about ready. Beat it another 100 stirs and then pour it into the buttered glass pan you prepared first. Within an hour you should be able 

cut it into pieces. Do this every day for a month and you will be able to reach 911 with no problem at all.

BTW it's a family secret a la Whitey Bolger (Johnny Depp)   LOL! 😱☠️😂

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

BUFFALO POTATO WEDGES  another easy and delicious recipe from Mr Food.  Great for GAMEDAY or any get-together.

https://www.mrfood.com/Potatoes-Rice/Buffalo-Potato-Wedges

SERVES   6    COOK TIME    50 Min.   Perfect for the Indianapolis Colts at the CLEVELAND BROWNS  on Sunday.

Our Buffalo Potato Wedges are made for chowing down while watching the big game, or any game, over the weekend. The zesty flavors of this easy-to-make recipe pack the perfect punch for any sporty get-together, or for a family night in. One thing's for sure, most anything is better covered in Buffalo sauce. These fries are no exception! 

What You'll Need

• 1/4 cup olive oil
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 6 large Idaho baking potatoes, washed and cut into lengthwise wedges
  • 1/2 cup wing sauce
  • 1/2 cup blue cheese dressing
  • 2 celery stalks, chopped

What to Do

1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. 
  2. In a large bowl, combine oil, salt, and potatoes; toss until evenly coated. Arrange on two rimmed baking sheets.
  3. Bake 30 minutes. Turn potatoes and continue cooking another 20 to 25 minutes, or until golden and crispy.
  4. Place potatoes in a large bowl, add wing sauce, and toss until evenly coated. Place potatoes on large platter and top with blue cheese dressing and celery. Serve immediately.

Check This Out!

Buffalo-Potato-Wedges_Large400_ID-3507383.jpg

Speaking of "Buffaloed GAMEDAY food"  here's one to go along with the wings, potatoes and others BUFFALO CAULIFLOWER ummmm.  I love cauliflower by haven't had it Buffaloed in a long time.

BUFFALO CAULIFLOWER another quick and easy recipe from Mr Food.  Great for a GAMEDAY or any other get-together.

From the Anchor Bar in Buffalo, NY.  https://www.mrfood.com/Vegetables/Buffalo-Cauliflower

SERVES  4.   COOK  TIME. 25 MINUTES

What You'll Need

• 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
  • 1 head cauliflower, cut into florets
  • 1/2 stick butter
  • 1/4 cup cayenne pepper sauce (see Note below....... I do like Frank's Red Hot Sauce also)
  • 1/4 cup blue cheese crumbles

What to Do

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray.
  2. In a large bowl, combine oil, salt, and pepper; mix well. Add cauliflower to mixture, tossing until evenly coated. Place on prepared baking sheet.
  3. Bake 25 to 30 minutes, or until cauliflower starts to brown.
  4. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, melt butter over low heat, add cayenne pepper sauce, and simmer 3 to 5 minutes, whisking occasionally. Add the cauliflower; gently stir until evenly coated. Place on serving platter, sprinkle with blue cheese, and serve.

Mr. Food Test Kitchen Tip!

Buffalo-Cauliflower_ArticleImage-CategoryPage_ID-1062406.jpg

Our BROWNS GAMEDAY meal today around 1 pm and watch some AFCN football.  Appetizers black and green olives, dill pickles, Italian bread and butter then the main course spaghetti and my wife's homemade bolognese sauce, ummmmm.  I prefer it to just spaghetti and meatballs almost anytime.

And when we're watching the BROWNS at 4:25 pm she will be making oven breaded chicken thighs and legs for a snack and lunch tomorrow.

Bon appetit football Sunday !  The way it should be.   :)

Ummmmm STEAMIN' TATERS 'n' BEANS an old Southern classic. This version is from Mr Food but it has been done for many years by others.

One of my grandmother's favorite dishes. Just 5 ingredients and done in no time ! An old GAMEDAY favorite that I might have posted a few years back for a budget friendly meal anytime.

Sometimes simple is best...like here we've got fresh green beans and red potatoes boiled up with a little salt pork. STEAMIN' TATES 'n' BEANS is a Southern classic that combines great flavor with ease -- our favorite combo! From Mr Food.

SERVES. 6. COOK TIME. 45. MINUTES

✓  What You'll Need

1 (2-ounce) piece salt pork, (see note)

1 pound fresh green beans, trimmed and cut in half

1/2 teaspoon black pepper

12 small red potatoes (about 2 pounds), cut in half

2 teaspoons salt

✓  What to Do

In a large pot, combine salt pork, green beans, and pepper with enough water to cover. Place potatoes on top and sprinkle with salt. Cover loosely and bring to a boil over high heat.

Reduce heat to low and simmer 30 to 35 minutes, or until potatoes and beans are tender. Serve in bowls with broth.

✓  Notes

Three slices of raw bacon will work just as well as salt pork.

In the South, they call the broth "pot liquor" and serve it with plenty of cornbread for dunking. Here's one of our yummy cornbread recipes for you to try!

Steamin-Taters-n-Beans_ArticleImage-CategoryPage_ID-1206629.jpg

• Like 1

TEXAS CORN BREAD  from Mr Food to go along with his Steamin' Beans 'n' Taters.  Perfect for GAMEDAY or Sunday or anyday, delicious !

We love the Steamin' Beans 'n' Taters but they are better with corn bread !   SERVES 12 in 35 MINUTES.

Here's a prize-winning recipe that nobody can ignore and everybody loves. It's not the typical corn bread. It's a pudding-textured corn bread that we use as a side dish 'cause it's so moist and rich. Sure is novel!!

What You'll Need

• 1/2 cups self-rising cornmeal
  • 4 eggs, beaten
  • 3/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup chopped green bell pepper
  • 1 cup (4 ounces) grated Cheddar cheese
  • 1 cup chopped onion
  • 3 tablespoons sugar
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 cup sour cream
  • 1 (17 ounce) can cream-style corn
  • 1/2 cup vegetable oil

What to Do

1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Coat a 9- x 13-inch baking dish with cooking spray.

2. In a large bowl, mix together all ingredients.

3. Pour mixture into prepared baking dish and bake 20 to 30 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Remove from oven and cut into serving-sized squares.

Notes

If self-rising cornmeal is not available, use a mixture of 3/4 cup flour, 3/4 cup cornmeal, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1 tablespoon baking powder; it will make 1-1/2 cups self-rising cornmeal. The original recipe calls for a stick of butter to be melted and poured evenly over the warm bread before serving. If that sounds good to you, why not give it a try?!

cornbread-recipe-1-of-1.jpg

11 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Tomorrow the easiest meal around. Baked Cornish Hens stuffed with Uncle Ben's Long Grain & Wild rice with a side of wifey's homemade applesauce (using McIntosh apples).

Well this Sunday 1 pm GAMEDAY BROWNS in Pittsburgh special, does it get any better......well 5-1 would make it a whole bunch better !    :D

My wife likes the Baked Cornish Hens, I'm a little more partial to the big oven roasted chicken with all the trimmings but whatever there NO losers there. Bon appetit !

AND this NO COOK Sunday we've got a bunch of gift cards so we're going to the Olive Garden I'm getting the big salad, shrimp scampi and the chocolate mousse bowtie dessert.  My wife is getting the eggplant whatever plus we're planning a meal for tomorrow too.

Monday I've got a 5 pm check-in at our local hospital for an MRI of my hip and we're hoping to be home by 7 or so and then another OG dinner.

And if you didn't already know It's National Pasta Day if we didn't have enough special days already.

Screenshot_2020-10-18_083428.jpg

PEPPERONI PIE SQUARES from Mr Food.... only 25-30 minutes,  sounds good for the next Cleveland vs Cincinnati GAMEDAY !!

Pepperoni Pie Squares
SERVES   8    COOK TIME    25 Min

Change up your dinner routine with this recipe that's a cross between an ooey-gooey casserole and the best pepperoni pizza you've ever had. It'll only take you about 30 minutes to get these Pepperoni Pie Squares on the dinner table. (Be prepared to be asked for second helpings!)

What You'll Need  (see notes below)

• 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2 cups milk
  • 2 eggs, lightly beaten
  • 1 pound Muenster cheese, cubed
  • 1 (8-ounce) package sliced pepperoni, chopped
  • 1 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning

What to Do

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat a 9- x 13-inch baking dish with cooking spray.

2. In a large bowl, combine all ingredients; mix well then pour into baking dish.

3. Bake 25 to 30 minutes, or until top is golden; cool slightly then cut into squares. Serve immediately.

Notes

LOADED JALAPENO POPPERS from Mr Food a classic GAMEDAY snack in only 20 minutes ! https://www.mrfood.com/Appetizers/Loaded-Jalapeno-Poppers

MAKES. 2  DOZEN. in  20 MINUTES

Need something tasty to tide your hungry gang over before dinner's served? Well, who could resist popping our Loaded Jalapeno Poppers in their mouth! They're a little bit hot, a little bit smoky, a little bit creamy, and a whole lot of tasty!

What You'll Need

• 1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
  • 1 cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
  • 3 tablespoons bacon bits
  • 12 fresh jalapeno peppers, split in half lengthwise, cutting through stems, seeds removed
  • 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
  • 2 eggs, lightly beaten
  • 1/2 cup bread crumbs
  • Vegetable oil for frying

What to Do

1. In a medium bowl, combine cream cheese, Cheddar cheese, and bacon bits. Firmly press a heaping teaspoonful of cheese mixture into each pepper half. Cover and chill 1 hour.

2. Place flour, eggs, and bread crumbs in 3 separate shallow dishes. Dip stuffed pepper halves into flour, then eggs, then bread crumbs, coating thoroughly with each.

3. Fill a large saucepan or soup pot with 2 inches of oil and heat over medium-high heat until hot but not smoking. Carefully fry a few peppers at a time, 1 to 3 minutes, or until golden. Drain on paper towels and serve immediately.

Notes

We just love appetizers so we'd like to share another of our favorites. Try our Bacon Wrapped Scallops for a flavor that's all the rage!

Loaded-Jalapeno-Poppers_ArticleImage-CategoryPage_ID-1088826.jpg