THE BROWNS BOARD

• Favorite GAMEDAY food ? ..... Dine in, carryout, *delivery or make at home.

mjp28

5 hours ago, ballpeen said:

I could probably do the bake.  It's not like I don't like a Philly, I just don't like sloppy over stuffed sandwiches.  Heck, I eat pizza with a fork and knife.

I just don't like eating with my hands if possible.  Chicken wings is about it unless we are talking some fast food burger or hotdog, but you have a wrapper on the thing. And it is the small ones.  If it comes in a box and not a wrapper, I am not going to eat it driving down the street.  Go somewhere with half lb burger, got to use a fork.  Even a grilled cheese gets a fork.  Just me.  I don't go to Dennys or Waffle House and eat my omelet and hash browns with my hands.  Why would a large burger be any different?  I don't want various juices and condiments dripping down my chin in to my lap or on my shirt.   I just prefer to use utensils.

Ditto for me on all the above, but especially the highlighted items. The first request I have at a restaurant is extra napkins/wipes.

I'm with you here 'peen.

Mike

• Upvote 1

Well this is the third and hopefully last Philly cheese steak inspired recipe and actually a good one try the CHEESE STEAK CASSEROLE.  This recipe also kind of reminds me of another favorite of ours Beef Stroganoff over noodles with an optional generous dollop of sour cream when serving if you like.

When I started my GAMEDAY meals column about 15 years ago it was more geared toward football parties and tailgating but has evolved into a BROWNS football Sunday meal for before or maybe halftime of the games.  I'm always looking for easy or intermediate preparation and cooking recipes along with an eye economical family or friends style and of course always delicious tested recipes from a variety of sources.

Especially now during this stay at home time with the family and close friends something that is good for GAMEDAY or anyday so bon appetit !  

CHEESE STEAK CASSEROLE.... not at all just a Philly Cheesesteak Sandwich but good for a tasty GAMEDAY or even a Sunday  meal, from Mr Food.  This is a hearty peppers and steak casserole over noodles dish that everyone will love.

Cheese Steak Casserole
SERVES    4    COOK TIME    35 Min

Looking to add some excitement to ho-hum dinnertime? Well, bake up a batch of our Cheese Steak Casserole, and you'll have everyone racing to the table! This twist on a traditional Philly Cheese Steak Sandwich tastes plain old delicious!

What You'll Need:
  • 1 (8-ounce) package wide egg noodles, cooked according to package directions
  • 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
  • 2 red bell peppers, seeded and cut into 1/4-inch slices (or add in some green peppers if you like)
  • 1 onion, cut in half and sliced thin
  • 1 pound thin boneless beef sirloin steak, thinly sliced. (or any other steak you like or have on hand)
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
  • 1 (15-ounce) jar cheese sauce. (you can also try other soft cheeses if you want)
What To Do:
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat a 9- x 13-inch baking dish with cooking spray. Place cooked noodles in baking dish; set aside.
  2. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat; cook red peppers and onion 4 to 5 minutes, or until fork-tender. Add beef, salt, and pepper to skillet and cook 3 to 4 minutes, or until beef is brown, stirring occasionally. Drain liquid.
  3. In a microwaveable bowl, melt cheese sauce in microwave 1 minute.
  4. Spoon half of cheese sauce over noodles. Top with beef mixture, then pour remaining cheese sauce over top; cover with aluminum foil.
  5. Bake 25 to 30 minutes, or until heated through.
Notes....for other good meal options.  And on this one try with an optional dollop of sour cream when serving if you want.

Here's a GREAT ready made snack for all you sharp cheese lovers..It's ALWAYS in my fridge & at my parties/tailgates! It's one of the most popular things I serve. I also gift this to my old friend & eating, beer drinking, & Browns' buddy (Fr Pat) a few times a year. 

31695?$bjs-180$

Individually vacuum sealed planks of 14 month old Cabot's "seriously sharp" cheddar, available at BJ's Wholesale Club. PERFECT with a cold beer!

Mike

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

18 hours ago, Canton Mike said:

Here's a GREAT ready made snack for all you sharp cheese lovers..It's ALWAYS in my fridge & at my parties/tailgates! It's one of the most popular things I serve. I also gift this to my old friend & eating, beer drinking, & Browns' buddy (Fr Pat) a few times a year. 

Individually vacuum sealed planks of 14 month old Cabot's "seriously sharp" cheddar, available at BJ's Wholesale Club. PERFECT with a cold beer!

Mike

I've had Cabot cheeses and I know some were different varieties of cheddar cheeses from mild to extra sharp but still delicious and a good high protein snack..... which I look for like cheese with my Old Wisconsin beef sticks I get from Amazon.   These are not slim Jim "stuff" but good quality beef sticks high in protein, I had cojack cheese and beef sticks last night.

Old Wisconsin beef sticks are about $14-15 for 30 sticks much less than the Slim Jim "stuff", I'll order one or two packs at a time.  Also Cabot cheeses are available where we shop in Boardman giant eagle, Aldi's and I think Marc's.   

So protein snacks are good for you !    :)

• Upvote 1

I have season tickets and live in Tennessee.  On the way up there is a place near Ashland, Grandpa's Cheese  Barn.  We stop there all the time.  Lot's of cheese and beef sticks to be sampled.  Great spot.  We always have a container to put some cheese and beef sticks, or whatever in a cooler with ice.....good stuff.  We really like the jarred pickled garlic cloves.

https://grandpascheesebarn.com/

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ballpeen said:

I have season tickets and live in Tennessee.  On the way up there is a place near Ashland, Grandpa's Cheese  Barn.  We stop there all the time.  Lot's of cheese and beef sticks to be sampled.  Great spot.  We always have a container to put some cheese and beef sticks, or whatever in a cooler with ice.....good stuff.  We really like the jarred pickled garlic cloves.

https://grandpascheesebarn.com/

It looks like grandpa has it going on !

GRANDPA SAYS "EAT MORE CHEESE!!!".....I couldn't agree more and it's good for you.

Savor the experience of Grandpa's home smoked meats, specialty cheeses, Amish country jams, jellies and pickles, local honey and maple syrup and our homemade chocolates and candies that can happily fill your every craving with pure delight and deliciousness!

Screenshot_2020-08-12_105154.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, DieHardBrownsFan said:

Once you get past the smell, its the best.Limburger Cheese

No doubt it does smell like your ex roommates feet   It tastes good, but you think you are eating toenail cheese.

Ok just one more Philly inspired recipe and I love this one... CHEESTEAK PIZZA...  whether it's from your favorite pizza joint or make at home in no time !   From Mr Food made at home for GAMEDAY or any day hot and crunchy now doesn't that look delicious !

SERVES    4    PREP    7 Min    COOK  TIME 15 minutes

What You'll Need

• 1 (14-ounce) package prebaked Italian pizza bread shell
  • 1/4 cup olive oil, divided
  • 2 cloves garlic, crushed
  • 1 small onion, sliced
  • 1 small green bell pepper, sliced
  • 1 (8-ounce) package sliced fresh mushrooms
  • 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
  • 8 ounces shaved deli roast beef
  • 1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded Italian- style five-cheese blend, divided

What to Do

1. Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. Place bread shell on a rimless baking sheet. Combine 3 tablespoons olive oil and the garlic in a small bowl; brush over bread shell, and set aside.

2. Heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion, pepper, and mushrooms; sauté 5 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Stir in Worcestershire sauce and roast beef.

3. Sprinkle 1/2 cup cheese over bread shell. Spoon roast beef mixture over cheese; top with remaining 1 cup cheese.

4. Bake 10 minutes or until cheese melts. Cut into wedges.

Notes.....not much substitution needed on this recipe.

To bake any of these pizzas with a crispy crust, bake pizza directly on the center rack of your oven. Use a baking sheet with no side edges like a giant spatula to easily transfer the pizza directly to the oven rack. Use the same baking sheet to remove the pizza from the oven.

This recipe is from The Best of Mr. Food Cookbook Series Oxmoor House, Inc. If you would like more recipes like this, click here.

The-Philly-Cheesesteak-Pizza-Is-Back-At-Papa-John’s-678x381.jpg

Easy Garlic Butter Steak and Potatoes Skillet...looks as good as it tastes.

A real meat and potatoes dish that is quick and easy !  Good for GAMEDAY or any day a real stick to your ribs one skillet meal.

Ingredients

• 2-4 petite steaks  (or your favorite steaks)
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • garlic powder to taste
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 2-4 pounds baby potatoes, diced
  • 2-6 tablespoons salted butter, soft enough to mash with a fork one tablespoon per steak, plus two tablespoons for the potatoes
  • 2 teaspoons minced garlic
  • 1 teaspoon dried Italian herb blend
  • 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
  • 1 teaspoon chopped fresh parsley

Instructions

• Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In a small bowl combine butter, garlic, and dried herbs and set aside. Season steaks generously with salt, pepper, and garlic powder on both sides.
  • Place skillet over medium-high heat and drizzle with oil. Sear steaks for 2-3 minutes one each side until nice and browned. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
  • Add potatoes to the skillet, season generously with salt, pepper, and garlic powder and saute 3-5 minutes until browned. Push potatoes to one side of the pan and return steaks to the other side of the pan.
  • Transfer to oven and cook for 15-20 minutes until potatoes are fork-tender and steak is cooked to your preferred doneness.
  • Immediately after removing from oven, place a dollop of the garlic butter on each steak and the rest on the potatoes and let it melt over the food before stirring the potatoes to coat in butter and then topping with chopped thyme and parsley before serving.
  • See pictures for different serving ideas.

Garlic-Butter-flank-Steak-and-Potatoes-Skillet.jpg

steak-potatoes-skillet-5.jpg

Looks good, but those taters would have to cook alone for a while.  Those steak in a hot oven for15- 20 minutes after sear would be more like shoe leather for me.  Might have to do that in reverse...just have to use 2 pans. Or I guess you could remove the steaks and cover, and let sit out for 20-30 minutes while the taters finish up.  To me it's hard to over cook a potato.  Hash browns are cooked up pretty good.  Steak, you can ruin it in the span of a minute or two.  If it doesn't have a pink center, throw it to the dogs unless you are eating it as a Fajita.    Then it doesn't matter all that much I suppose since you are putting all sorts of stuff on the meat.   If it's going to be a miss, make the miss on the rare side.  You can fix that.

1 hour ago, ballpeen said:

Looks good, but those taters would have to cook alone for a while.  Those steak in a hot oven for15- 20 minutes after sear would be more like shoe leather for me.  Might have to do that in reverse...just have to use 2 pans. Or I guess you could remove the steaks and cover, and let sit out for 20-30 minutes while the taters finish up.  To me it's hard to over cook a potato.  Hash browns are cooked up pretty good.  Steak, you can ruin it in the span of a minute or two.  If it doesn't have a pink center, throw it to the dogs unless you are eating it as a Fajita.    Then it doesn't matter all that much I suppose since you are putting all sorts of stuff on the meat.   If it's going to be a miss, make the miss on the rare side.  You can fix that.

I occasionally tweak recipes but I left the one as is. I even checked several several garlic steak with potatoes recipes with this one some cook with cut up steaks some the whole steak.... which is why I put in the two serving suggestion pictures.  

This is what I would call a "lesser cuts of meat" with potatoes recipe.  I noticed that they didn't even call for tenderizing the steak as an option.  This is pretty much as shown a meat & potatoes one skillet meal especially if you like your potatoes seasoned and with a steak taste.

I'm normally a steak purist guy, salt and pepper maybe even a dollop of butter when the steak is done cooking.  I like my steaks nicely marbleized, medium with a warm pink center and like you said you can go from rare to medium or well in a flash if you're not careful.

I also like my steak hot off the grill -but- there's nothing wrong with indoor pan or grill cooking especially with some practice another good option to cook side by side and then combine for this dish but it would be making it a slightly different recipe.

We have done different meat and potatoes one pan meals but I kind of liked this combination of ingredients.  Still looks good !   ;)

The sliced steak looks like maybe flank.  The whole, maybe a rib?

I like my steak more towards a cool center.  I try to pull mine around 125 degrees, cover and let rest 15 minutes....it works up to 135 or so.  Resting allows the juices to resettle.  You don't end up with a plate full of bloody juice.  I also usually buy my steaks 4-5 days ahead and let age in the refrigerator.  It drys them out some, which is good IMO.

• Upvote 1

Besides our Weber grilling cookbooks and others my favorite go to site is the beef it's what's for dinner site, loaded with information.  https://www.beefitswhatsfordinner.com

Oh my grandmother worked about 10 years in the meat department at sparkle market, taught me a lot about meat and cooking good food !

Screenshot_2020-08-17_130717.jpg

Screenshot_2020-08-17_130655.jpg

• Upvote 1

Speaking of pizza and related matters this Pizza Hut cutback has been in the works for a while now.  Some closed dine in restaurants here and other companies may be replaced with smaller carry out restaurants with no tables or waitresses, the new way of doing business.

RESTAURANTS

Pizza Hut to close up to 300 locations operated by bankrupt franchisee

PUBLISHED MON, AUG 17 202011:54 AM EDT

KEY POINTS
  • Pizza Hut will close up to 300 locations as part of a deal between the pizza chain and its largest U.S. franchisee, NPC International.
  • NPC filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy in early July. 
  • The closing Pizza Huts underperform the rest of the chain’s locations, and the majority are expected to be dine-in locations.

Pizza Hut will close up to 300 locations as part of a deal between the Yum Brands chain and its largest U.S. franchisee, NPC International.

NPC will also put its remaining 927 Pizza Hut locations up for sale. The franchisee, which also operates nearly 400 Wendy’s restaurants, filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection in early July after struggling with its debt burden of roughly $1 billion.

“In the event NPC executes a sale of its Pizza Hut business, Pizza Hut’s focus would be to ensure that new ownership brings to NPC’s Pizza Hut restaurants a strong capital structure, healthy balance sheet, commitment to operational excellence, and a growth mindset,” a Pizza Hut spokesperson said in a statement to CNBC.

NPC’s 1,227 Pizza Hut locations account for a fifth of the chain’s total U.S. footprint.

The closing Pizza Huts underperform the rest of the chain’s locations, and the majority are expected to be dine-in locations. In recent years, the pizza chain has shied away from its reputation as a dine-in restaurant and sought to draw more attention to its delivery and takeout, a change that has been accelerated by the coronavirus pandemic. Pizza Hut reported its highest average sales week for delivery and carryout in the past eight years during the month of May.

Employees at shuttered Pizza Hut restaurants operated by NPC will be moved to better-performing locations, if possible, according to Pizza Hut’s statement. NPC has not made final determinations as to which locations will close or the timing of the closures.

To be honest with you....it has been forever and ever since I went to Pizza Hut, and there is one just about a mile from me.  I always get my Pizza elsewhere.   

Our  go to sit down  place for Pizza  is Angie's in Barberton.    We also do Luigi's downtown Akron when we can .   For carryout, we usually do Antonio's.

What are your  "Go To"  pizza places   for sit down and for carry out.?

5 hours ago, The Gipper said:

To be honest with you....it has been forever and ever since I went to Pizza Hut, and there is one just about a mile from me.  I always get my Pizza elsewhere.   

Our  go to sit down  place for Pizza  is Angie's in Barberton.    We also do Luigi's downtown Akron when we can .   For carryout, we usually do Antonio's.

A lot of people think just like you do here.  The PH just down the road from us closed in Boardman the nearest ones are now in Poland or Canfield.

Our favorite is Wedgewood Pizza in Boardman (no delivery) or Cocca's for delivery but there are a few other good ma and pa ones.

Our never list Pizza Yuck, Papa John's among others.

4 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Gip,

Angie's was a fave sit down place back in the '60s when living in Wadsworth, but it has changed. Still good though.

Sit down: Luigi's has been & still is our fave sit down place even though we now live in North Canton.

Carryout: Double cheese, double pepperoni, well done at Pizza Oven in Canton & Pepperoni Magnifico @ Marco's in North Canton (great pizza & an UNBELIEVABLE veteran's discount). I refused that discount during this pandemic until their business picked back up.

Mike

• Thanks 1

On 7/30/2020 at 2:53 AM, ballpeen said:

Nice looking St. Louis cut ribs.  You do those on a smoker or roast in the oven?  No insult if you are a grill guy.  I like them either way.  Either method works and each have their advantages.

Thank you.  Smoker all the way! Sometimes I'll finish in the oven after I wrap.  But always after 2-3 hrs of smoking.  Weber smokey mountain water smoker.  Usually apple wood,  cherry and pecan are in my rotation as well. 

• Upvote 1

Here's another old recipe from the folks at CENTO fine foods featuring family recipes.  From the pizza recipes their  PESTO PORTABELLO PIZZA   Turn an Italian roll into a quick and easy pizza by adding sauce, cheese and mushrooms with our Presto Portobello Pizza recipe.

Similar to other French bread pizza 🍕 recipes we've had here with an Italian twist. A great easy and delicious GAMEDAY or after school treat!  https://www.cento.com/recipes/pizza/pesto_portobello_pizza.php

https://www.cento.com/recipes.php

pesto_portobello_pizza.jpg

Screenshot_2020-08-20_173233.jpg

On 8/1/2020 at 4:40 PM, DieHardBrownsFan said:

I prefer charcoal grilling on a weber kettle.  Might as well cook inside if your using anything else.

it's great for camping which we have been doing more of lately F going into portland

On 8/3/2020 at 8:05 AM, mjp28 said:

Which one of the Blackstone grills did you get, they have a bunch of them.  And of course like everyone else they have a recipe page.   

https://blackstoneproducts.com

Screenshot_2020-08-03_110653.jpg

Screenshot_2020-08-03_110708.jpg

it's just the 2 of us so i got the 22inch with the hard cover it's called adventure

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, ATOM said:

nothing like making breakfast outside on these

Especially on Friday or Saturday or Sunday or GAMEDAY or anyday.

Nice grill setup plus recipes at the BLACKSTONE website.  Bon appetit !

Outback Steakhouse Alice Springs Chicken

One of the most popular menu items at Outback Steakhouse (despite the fact that it’s a STEAKhouse) is their Alice Springs Chicken. It’s popular for good reason. Who can resist grilled chicken with sautéed mushrooms, crispy bacon, and lots of melty Monterey Jack cheese with that honey mustard sauce? If I go to Outback, it’s always for the Alice Springs Chicken which is why I decided I’d share my copycat version of the recipe with you.

One of the *KEY elements to this Alice Springs Chicken is the honey mustard marinade/sauce it's YOUR CHOICE !  You’ll start by making that, then allowing the chicken to hang out in the mixture from 30 minutes to a couple of hours so that it can absorb all of the honey mustard goodness.

One of my favorite ingredients in this recipe is the mushrooms! I am always a sucker for tender sautéed mushrooms! I bought an 8 ounce package of button mushrooms, cleaned them, then sliced them up and sautéed ‘em in a little butter. The best way to clean mushrooms is with a damp towel (I usually use a damp paper) instead of running them under water. I do it this way, simply because they clean-up better if you wipe the dirt off versus running them under water.

You’ll also need some crispy bacon to top each piece of chicken with. My favorite hassle-proof way to cook bacon is to bake it in the oven. Here are my instructions on How to Bake Bacon. I chose to go with one piece of bacon per piece of chicken to keep it a little lighter, but if you want to go all out, plan for up to two pieces of bacon per piece of chicken.

Recipe with your choice of honey mustard marinade/sauce mixtures:
4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, pounded to 1/2 inch thickness
Lowry’s Seasoning Salt
4 or 6 or 8 bacon slices... depending on how much bacon you want per chicken brest
1/4 cup regular mustard... *( OR about 3/4 cup of  your favorite brand of honey mustard WITH mayo and 2 tsp dried onion flakes it's YOUR CHOICE)
1/3 cup honey... *use WITH your favorite honey mustard + mayo + dried onion flakes mixture, your choice
2 Tbsp. Mayonnaise... *use WITH your favorite honey mustard + dried onion flakes, your choice
2 teaspoons dried onion flakes...*use WITH your favorite honey mustard + mayo, your choice
1 cup sliced fresh mushroom 
2 cup shredded Colby/Jack cheese

Directions:
First, Sprinkle and rub the chicken breasts with seasoning salt. Cover and refrigerate from 30 minutes to several hours.
While the chicken is in the refrigerator, cook bacon in a large skillet until crisp. Remove bacon and set aside. ***DO NOT discard grease.***

Saute chicken in the bacon grease for 3 to 5 minutes per side, or until browned. Place chicken in a 9″ × 13″ casserole dish or pan.
To make the Honey Mustard: In a small bowl, mix the mustard, honey, mayonnaise and dried onion flakes -OR- your favorite honey mustard sauce plus mayo and flaked dried onion flakes... it's YOUR CHOICE.

Spread some of the Honey Mustard over each piece of chicken, then layer with mushrooms, crumbled bacon, and shredded cheese.

Bake in a 350° oven for 30 minutes, or until cheese is melted and chicken is done.
Serve with the left over Honey Mustard Sauce that you made.... THAT'S IT !

Screenshot_2020-08-22_074133.jpg

Here's a thought. Brown some extra lean (96%) hamburger meat and throw it in a pan with Cookwell & Company Green Chili Stew (or any brand you like better). Heat to desired level, pour it in a bowl and use a spoon. Yummy! For a change you could use cooked chopped up chicken breast meat as a substitute for the hamburger. Either way it tastes fine.😋

I like to make mini pizza on English muffin halves. 

Coat each muffin with your favorite store bought pasta sauce, add cheese, then do what you want, you get the idea.

Bake.

Easy pizza.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, ballpeen said:

I like to make mini pizza on English muffin halves. 

Coat each muffin with your favorite store bought pasta sauce, add cheese, then do what you want, you get the idea.

Bake.

Easy pizza.

French, Italian, English muffin, whatever anything that gets good and crunchy and still has some body is nice -plus- they have all kinds of spaghetti, pizza, marinara sauces on the shelf now unless we are having a big pasta meal with the meatballs we don't bother making sauce that often.  And everyone has Italian or other cheese and meats packaged up and really to go by the deli department..... especially now.

We still do our Wedgewood Pizza stop especially if my wife is going out to shop but good and tasty pizza or other quick meals are so easy now.....and more economical and hot out of the oven.  We rarely get takeout now....but being retired helps !      ;)

• Upvote 1

Well now that the GAMEDAY regular season MLB is here and the BROWNS regular season is near and the NBA is somewhere back to some favorite fiery grill sandwiches.

I've got my favorite sources which lately include Mr Food and now a good and slightly different one from CENTO fine foods here a FIERY GRILLING PLATTER !  Pass me some ice cold 🍻 beer too !   You can do some regular hot dogs for your nonhot guests.   https://www.cento.com/recipes/sandwiches/fiery_grilling_platter.php

FIERY GRILLING PLATTER

Prep Time    10 Min    Cook Time    10 Min    Serves    4-8

Fire up the grill with our Italian-inspired hot dogs and hamburgers. Add as little, or as much, Cento Extra Hot Calabrese Peperoncino to turn up the heat on these grilling favorites.

Screenshot_2020-08-29_065152.jpg

Screenshot_2020-08-29_065213.jpg