THE BROWNS BOARD

• Favorite GAMEDAY food ? ..... Dine in, carryout, *delivery or make at home.

mjp28

On 6/29/2020 at 10:14 AM, mjp28 said:

We're thinking about Ribeyes on the 4th of July weekend, maybe with a casserole mixed in over the weekend for something different..... it's going to be 90+ degrees, I'll be in the AC !

coney dogs and potato salad here for The 4th no need for the ac here partly cloudy and 75 

Happy 4th

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, ATOM said:

coney dogs and potato salad here for The 4th no need for the ac here partly cloudy and 75 

Happy 4th

We switched from Ribeyes today to hot dogs, homemade chili sauce and delicious homemade baked beans and potato chips......and for a switch cold Heineken beer !

It's about 86 now outside on the way to 90.

Happy 4th everyone !

20180704_105433-1.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Oh Canton Mike on my last recipe hot dog email to my friends I got a not delivered on your imirish email address, it might have been a one time event or did you change email address ? 

Oh and everyone else here I send our special email recipes to about 20 friends many that I don't post here. -BUT- I recently changed a bit with this CORNAVIRUS stuff and will go back when it's over with the sports blackout.  If you would like to get on the list just send me an email to my email address mjpx28@yahoo.com or pm here.  I've been doing it for years and have had a recent opening.  And of course like everything else around here it's totally FREE.   :D

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Well our 4th of July hotdogs with delicious homemade chili sauce and baked beans were great comfort food just like our next recipe......  The ULTIMATE GRILLED CHEESE SANDWICH ...... now how good does that sound ?   ~AND~ like I did on two other boards I was on before this one I asked the viewers what is your favorite way to do and enjoy a grilled cheese sandwich ?  The responses were quite varied !

The Ultimate Grilled Cheese Sandwich.... in 15 minutes....another Mr Food ohh it's so good comfort food special.

Ultimate Grilled Cheese Sandwich
SERVES     5     COOK TIME     15 Min

There is no denying it, this is truly the Ultimate Grilled Cheese Sandwich. No matter how you choose to serve this melty and delicious sandwich, you can't miss. It makes a fantastic lunch for you and the kids, or a comfort filled way to compliment a bowl of soup! Either way this ooey-gooey meal is grilled cheese perfection.

What You'll Need

• 3/4 cup mayonnaise
  • 3 ounces cream cheese, softened
  • 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
  • 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
  • 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 10 slices sourdough bread
  • 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) butter, softened

What to Do

1. In a medium bowl with an electric mixer, beat mayonnaise and cream cheese until light and fluffy. Stir in Cheddar cheese, mozzarella cheese, and garlic powder; mix well.
  2. Spread each of five bread slices evenly with cheese mixture. Top with remaining bread slices. Spread butter on both sides of the sandwiches.
  3. In a skillet over medium heat, cook in batches until golden on both sides and the cheese is melted.

Check This Out!

If you love these recipes, then you'll love this FREE eCookbook!

1 minute ago, Canton Mike said:

mjp28, I didn't change my email. I'll message it to you.

Mike

I think it went through today, I think we're ok on everything.  Michael

21 hours ago, mjp28 said:

Oh Canton Mike on my last recipe hot dog email to my friends I got a not delivered on your imirish email address, it might have been a one time event or did you change email address ?   We're ok there.

Oh and everyone else here I send our special email recipes to about 20 friends many that I don't post here. -BUT- I recently changed a bit with this CORNAVIRUS stuff and will go back when it's over with the sports blackout.  If you would like to get on the list just send me an email to my email address mjpx28@yahoo.com or pm here.  I've been doing it for years and have had a recent opening.  And of course like everything else around here it's totally FREE.   :D

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Well our 4th of July hotdogs with delicious homemade chili sauce and baked beans were great comfort food just like our next recipe......  The ULTIMATE GRILLED CHEESE SANDWICH ...... now how good does that sound ?   ~AND~ like I did on two other boards I was on before this one I asked the viewers what is your favorite way to do and enjoy a grilled cheese sandwich ?  The responses were quite varied !

The Ultimate Grilled Cheese Sandwich.... in 15 minutes....another Mr Food ohh it's so good comfort food special.

Ultimate Grilled Cheese Sandwich
SERVES     5     COOK TIME     15 Min

There is no denying it, this is truly the Ultimate Grilled Cheese Sandwich. No matter how you choose to serve this melty and delicious sandwich, you can't miss. It makes a fantastic lunch for you and the kids, or a comfort filled way to compliment a bowl of soup! Either way this ooey-gooey meal is grilled cheese perfection.

What You'll Need......see recipe on previous page.

I still would like to hear your recipe and the way you enjoy your favorite GRILLED CHEESE SANDWICH !   ;)

17 hours ago, mjp28 said:

I still would like to hear your recipe and the way you enjoy your favorite GRILLED CHEESE SANDWICH !   ;)

My wife makes a great plain old grilled cheese sandwich, buttered on all four sides, a good quality white bread like Schwebel's Italanio bread and the most important part cooked exactly golden brown with American or other favorite cheese of your choice.....oh yeah !  Mr Food has a good recipe for a good GC sandwich, try it !

Now I will occasionally take my done grilled cheese sandwich and open it up and put a good cold slice of a red ripe garden fresh tomato on it, salted to taste.

Or open it up and put a nice big Hungarian pepper inside or other pepper like jarred hot peppers or something similar.

No wrong way to enjoy a GRILLED CHEESE SANDWICH especially with a cold crunchy dill pickle on the side...... ummmmm.   :)

.........I'm really hungry for one now !

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, mjp28 said:

My wife makes a great plain old grilled cheese sandwich, buttered on all four sides, a good quality white bread like Swebel's Italanio bread and the most important part cooked exactly golden brown with American or other favorite cheese of your choice.....oh yeah !  Mr Food has a good recipe for a good GC sandwich, try it !

Now I will occasionally take my done grilled cheese sandwich and open it up and put a good cold slice of a red ripe garden fresh tomato on it, salted to taste.

Or open it up and put a nice big Hungarian pepper inside or other pepper like jarred hot peppers or something similar.

No wrong way to enjoy a GRILLED CHEESE SANDWICH especially with a cold crunchy dill pickle on the side...... ummmmm.   :)

.........I'm really hungry for one now !

Make mine a (couple) grilled swiss on rye (Jewish Rye preferred) with two Nathan's dill pickle sandwich slices grilled on it. Just had a couple last Saturday. Add some Lay's chips/Lawson's dip or Snyder's of Berlin BBQ chips & I'm good to go.

Mike

• Like 1

On 7/6/2020 at 4:25 PM, Canton Mike said:

Make mine a (couple) grilled swiss on rye (Jewish Rye preferred) with two Nathan's dill pickle sandwich slices grilled on it. Just had a couple last Saturday. Add some Lay's chips/Lawson's dip or Snyder's of Berlin BBQ chips & I'm good to go.

Mike

Not a rye guy, but including pickles is good, I usually go Clauson - either halves, slices but not so much their spears. And what's better than grilled cheese with tomato soup? 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Icecube said:

Not a rye guy, but including pickles is good, I usually go Clauson - either halves, slices but not so much their spears. And what's better than grilled cheese with tomato soup? 

The Claussen dills were what I used for years, but when Marc's was out one day, I decided to try Nathan's & haven't looked back. BTW, grilled cheese & tomato soup is definitely an American classic.

Mike

• Upvote 2

On 7/9/2020 at 4:30 PM, Canton Mike said:

The Claussen dills were what I used for years, but when Marc's was out one day, I decided to try Nathan's & haven't looked back. BTW, grilled cheese & tomato soup is definitely an American classic.

Mike

We're going to have my wife's "to-cheese" sandwiches with American or maybe other cheese and slices of chilled 🍅 red ripe tomatoes on Schwebel's Italiano white bread and Vlassic dill pickles on the side.

Vlassic are good but not my absolute favorite pickles I like the Heinz dills in the big jar of you can find them.  Haven't had Nathan's or Claussen dills in awhile either.....I love cold dill pickles with a sandwich.  Can't wait !

On 7/9/2020 at 4:30 PM, Canton Mike said:

Mike

The wife is going to Marc's or Aldi's today I told her to check out the dill pickles for some Nathan's the Vlassic's were ok but not top of the line now for us.

Our lunch was great she did the sandwiches and I did the appetizers and sides.  We had black olives, stuffed green Manzanilla olives, dill pickles, Bread & butter pickles, chips and sliced red tomatoes for the sandwiches and eating.

For the toasted cheese sandwiches we had a choice of Swiss, mozzarella, cojack or deluxe American cheese on Schwebel's Italiano white bread.

My wife had Swiss and deluxe American and I had three slices of deluxe American.  When done we put the salted chilled red tomatoes in the hot cheese.....oh yeah !!!

A simple but great lunch.  

We're having ribs on the grill today with barbeque sauce.  :D

Bon appetit !     interjection French.  (I wish you) a hearty appetite.

GRILLED STUFFED TOMATOES...... great when the tomatoes start rolling in.  An easy hot weather snack or side dish from the Wisconsin cheese recipe files.   https://www.wisconsincheese.com/recipes/3799/grilled-stuffed-tomatoes

Ingredients

• 8 medium tomatoes
  • 1 container (8 ounces) Crave Brothers Farmstead Classics Mascarpone cheese
  • 1 cup panko bread crumbs, divided
  • 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 2 teaspoons fresh lemon zest
  • Salt and pepper to taste
  • 6 ounces Crave Brothers Farmstead Classics Fresh Mozzarella cheese – Ball, torn
  • 2 tablespoons butter, melted

CHEESE

mail?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.wisconsinchee

Look for the Proudly Wisconsin Badge when shopping for cheese. Any brand of Wisconsin Fresh Mozzarella or Mascarpone can be used in this recipe

.Instructions

1. Grease grill grate. Heat grill to medium.
  2. Cut a thin slice off the top of each tomato. Scoop out and discard pulp, leaving a 1/2-inch shell. Invert tomatoes on paper towels to drain.
  3. Combine the mascarpone, 1/2 cup bread crumbs, basil, garlic and lemon zest in a large bowl. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Gently fold in mozzarella.
  4. Season tomatoes with salt and pepper to taste. Spoon mascarpone mixture into tomatoes. Combine butter and remaining bread crumbs in a small bowl; sprinkle over tops. Transfer tomatoes to a lightly greased grill grid.
  5. Place on grill grate. Grill tomatoes, covered, over medium heat for 14-16 minutes or until heated through. Cool slightly before serving.

Cheesemonger Tip

Select for cheesemonger info

Fresh, milky mozzarella cheese is available in a variety of sizes, including perline (pearl size), ciliegine (cherry size), bocconcini (ball size) and ovoline (egg size). You can also find it in logs, balls and sliced.

Screenshot_2020-07-12_111709.jpg

Want to try something different how about LOUISIANA SHRIMP BAKE from Mr Food.....only 8 minutes cook time !

Louisiana Shrimp Bake
SERVES    4    COOK TIME    8 Min

Ready for a new kind of shrimp recipe that will break you out of that dinnertime rut? Say good-bye to steamed shrimp cocktail, because our jazzy Louisiana Shrimp Bake is to-die-for! Baking the shrimp gives them that plump, pop that we all love. Your taste buds will be tinglin' when you pop these sensationally seasoned shrimp in your mouth.

What You'll Need

• 1/2 pounds large fresh shrimp, peeled and deveined
  • 1 stick butter, melted
  • 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
  • 2 teaspoons minced garlic
  • 2 teaspoons chili powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
  • 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)

What to Do

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
  2. Coat a 9- x 13-inch baking dish with cooking spray. Place shrimp in a single layer in baking dish.
  3. In a small bowl, combine remaining ingredients; mix well. Remember, the cayenne pepper is optional. Pour butter mixture over shrimp and stir until evenly coated.
  4. Bake, uncovered, 8 to 10 minutes or until shrimp turn pink.

Before You Start Cooking!

• We think this dish would taste amazing served over some hot cooked rice. This way you won't miss out on any of that buttery rich sauce!

• If you love shrimp, be sure to check out our collection of Easy Shrimp Recipes for Every Occasion. You'll find a shrimp recipe to please friends and family on the fly. 

• Seafood recipes are insanely popular this time of year. Everyone on Mr. Food is talking about this collection of our Best Crab Meat Recipes! Just one bite of our Cheesy Crab Poppers and you'll know why. 

• If you're throwing a party anytime soon, we've got the perfect collection for you and the sea-foodies in your life. Take a peek at our Easy Seafood Appetizer Recipes and you're get together is sure to be a nautical hit!
Fun Fact:
Did you know that over 1.2 million people attened Mardi Gras in New Orleans, Louisiana last year? It's a huge party that brings in roughly $56 million dollars over 12 days. Sounds like a bit of a crazy time, but boy would we like to get our hands on that Mardi Gras menu

well, it's getting to be berry season. blueberries are ripe... we have a lot more blackberries around our farm, other farms where I have permission to pick. Made 12 jelly jars of dandelion jelly, 24 jars of wild blackberry jam, we bought a couple boxes of S. Carolina peaches and I made 28 jelly jars of excellent peach jam and canned 8 pints of peaches to try canning them.

Wild blackberry jam with baked chicken breasts...or with a pot roast...or ham and eggs, etc for breakfast..

rocks. We share a jar here and there with friends - haven't run out yet, but the blackberries are just now turning from green to red...they'll turn black when ripe, obviously... it will take a few weeks yet, I think.

I made vidalia onion relish - canned about 10 pints of it. It's awesome on hot dogs, hamburgers, sandwiches.

Last year, I picked a some wild grapes, and made grape juice. it was excellent. I want to make grape jelly this fall - the grapes are still very green. There is a Lebanese recipe, basically, instead of stuffed peppers, the stuffing gets wrapped up in grape leaves. Really good. I have had them some years ago, never made them, want to try it this fall. A LOT of grapes now.

BTW, you have to be careful about the wild grapes. There is a look-a-like vine with berries.. that is very poisonous. The leaves are different, and the poison berries have only one seed in them.

Edible grapes have multiple small seeds. You have to research and know what you're doing, you know.

The trick to processing is to have a nice de-seeder. I bought one from a garage sale years ago - it rocks. No seeds in your jam. Takes skins off too, pretty well.

Which reminds me, I want to go out and get some chicory roots and make coffee with them.

Browns game with great food plus wild blackberry jam... Browns going to the PLAYOFFS ! (if we have a season)

Want something quick and easy ?

Delicious ZUCCHINI PIZZA BITES, oh yeah !   Quick and easy nice when the zucchini start coming in by the boatload.

Topped with sauce, mozz, and mini pepperonis, zucchini makes a surprisingly adorable base for pizza.   If you don't have mini pepperonis a good sharp knife should do the trick.  Good for those GAMEDAY  treats when they come back or just an anyday treat.

YIELDS:  4.     PREP TIME:  HOURS 10 MINS.     TOTAL TIME:  HOURS 20 MINS

INGREDIENTS

large zucchini, sliced into 1/4" rounds

Extra-virgin olive oil, for brushing

1/4 c. marinara or pizza sauce
1/3 c. shredded mozzarella
1/3 c. mini pepperoni

Dried oregano, for sprinkling

DIRECTIONS
  1. Preheat oven to 400°. Place zucchini on a baking sheet and brush with olive oil. Bake until slightly tender, 5 minutes.
  2. Spoon a thin layer of sauce over each slice, then top with mozzarella and mini pepperoni. Sprinkle with dried oregano and bake until zucchini is tender and cheese is melted, 10 minutes.

Zuchinni-Pizza-Bites-400x400.jpg

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, mjp28 said:

Want something quick and easy ?

Delicious ZUCCHINI PIZZA BITES, oh yeah !   Quick and easy nice when the zucchini start coming in by the boatload.

Topped with sauce, mozz, and mini pepperonis, zucchini makes a surprisingly adorable base for pizza.   If you don't have mini pepperonis a good sharp knife should do the trick.  Good for those GAMEDAY  treats when they come back or just an anyday treat.

YIELDS:  4.     PREP TIME:  HOURS 10 MINS.     TOTAL TIME:  HOURS 20 MINS

INGREDIENTS

large zucchini, sliced into 1/4" rounds

Extra-virgin olive oil, for brushing

1/4 c. marinara or pizza sauce
1/3 c. shredded mozzarella
1/3 c. mini pepperoni

Dried oregano, for sprinkling

DIRECTIONS
  1. Preheat oven to 400°. Place zucchini on a baking sheet and brush with olive oil. Bake until slightly tender, 5 minutes.
  2. Spoon a thin layer of sauce over each slice, then top with mozzarella and mini pepperoni. Sprinkle with dried oregano and bake until zucchini is tender and cheese is melted, 10 minutes.

Zuchinni-Pizza-Bites-400x400.jpg

I will definitely be trying these. Anymore, I prefer Miceli's Italian Blend cheese to mozzarella & I always like to sprinkle some parmesan on all things Italian. Thanks for another great recipe & it's simple!

Mike

2 hours ago, Canton Mike said:

I will definitely be trying these. Anymore, I prefer Miceli's Italian Blend cheese to mozzarella & I always like to sprinkle some parmesan on all things Italian. Thanks for another great recipe & it's simple!

Mike

My wife really likes Miceli's stuff when you can find it especially the bag of Italian Cheese Blend it would go great on this zucchini pizza.

Mozzarella is the traditional pizza cheese but this is not a traditional pizza......and lower in carbs -but- I love raw or baked zucchini anyhow.

There's more than one way to skin a cat......or make a pizza !   Bon appetit !  interjection French.  (I wish you) a hearty appetite.

• Upvote 1

Road Trip! 519.gif    So when traveling the highways of hell of Virginia..Philly..New Jersey or Florida?

Keep your eyes open for the best Highway grub station for miles with Gas Pumps ... When ya get to the corner of Sheetz/Seven11 or Shell? Try This! 😎 WaWa

WaWa's...Clean! Great Staff!  Great Food with Good Prices!  Can't go wrong with any of the Hoagies on the Menu! Beep! Beep! On the Road again! 🎶  Who's your food while you pump town battles?          

A Tuesday night special   Mexican Street Corn (Elote) 

Elote (aka Mexican Street Corn) is a common street food in Mexico, hence the nickname. It's often served on a stick, though you could skip the skewer and make it right on the grill, like you would traditional corn on the cob. If you're having trouble finding cotija cheese, you could always try feta (which has a similar texture and saltiness, though it tends to have a sharper, tangier taste), or grated parmesan.

This side dish is fast enough to throw together for an easy weeknight dinner—try it with barbecue chicken or grilled steak—or, at a party, you could set up all of the toppings (adding a few wildcards, like shredded cheddar, crumbled bacon and sriracha) and create a Build Your Own Corn on the Cob Bar. That could be a thing, right?

In love with this recipe? Us too! 

YIELDS:   4    PREP TIME:    HOURS MINS    TOTAL TIME:    HOURS 25 MINS

INGREDIENTS

ears corn, shucked and cleaned
1/2 c. mayonnaise

Chili powder

1/3 c. Grated cotija cheese. (or substitutes)

Freshly chopped cilantro

Lime wedges, for serving

This ingredient shopping module is created and maintained by a third party, and imported onto this page. You may be able to find more information about this and similar content on their web site.

DIRECTIONS
  1. Preheat grill or grill pan to medium-high. Grill corn, turning often, until slightly charred all over, about 10 minutes. 
  2. Brush corn with a layer of mayonnaise and sprinkle with chili powder, cotija, and cilantro. Serve warm with lime wedges.

elote-6.jpg

On 7/21/2020 at 6:47 PM, Browns149 said:

I had some of that corn a couple weeks ago. And it was Great. 

My wife has had a recipe similar to this one there are some slight variations on Mexican Street Corn......I definitely want to try it !

For a quick and easy meal how about BEEFY GARLIC PIZZA  made out of what you have at home. Oh yeah a nice GAMEDAY meal for the Indians at 5 today or 1 pm on Sunday.

Beefy Garlic Pizza from Mr Food.

Beefy Garlic Pizza
YIELDS    8 slices    SERVING SIZE   1 slice    COOK TIME    30 Min

Today we're throwing a pizza party! Why? Because we wanted to make something new with that package of ground beef in the fridge. Our Beefy Garlic Pizza is calling your name and we bet it'll be your new favorite go-to dinner recipe, for pizza party occasions or just because. After all, who doesn't love a hearty, cheesy, beefy slice of pizza?

What You'll Need

• 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
  • 6 cloves fresh garlic, chopped
  • 1 pound ground beef
  • 3 plum tomatoes, seeded and chopped
  • 3/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
  • 1 pound store-bought pizza dough (see Tips)
  • 1 (6-ounce) package sliced provolone cheese, cut into 1/2-inch strips

What to Do

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Coat a 12- to 14-inch pizza pan with cooking spray.
  2. In a large skillet over medium heat, heat oil until hot; saute garlic 4 to 5 minutes or until slightly golden.
  3. Add ground beef and cook 6 to 8 minutes or until completely browned, stirring frequently. Drain off excess liquid; stir in tomatoes, salt, and pepper.
  4. Place dough on a lightly floured surface. With a rolling pin, roll dough out to a 12- to 14-inch circle. Place on pizza pan. Using a fork, prick dough 15 to 20 times. Spoon beef mixture evenly over pizza dough and top with cheese.
  5. Bake 15 to 18 minutes or until crust is crisp and brown. Cut and serve immediately.

Mr. Food Test Kitchen Tips!

simple - pepperoni rolls.

1 package of Rhodes rolls

package of pepparoni

package of mozzarella cheese.

let rolls soften on tray, when soft enough, but not too soft and sticky -

flatten them out, add about 4 pieces of pepperoni + 4 pieces of cheese.

roll up, put on tray in warm place, let rise.

bake about 350 degrees til the tops are brown =

add root beer...

they are the best.

• Upvote 1

A Tuesday morning special something you might think was too hard to try DEEP DISH PIZZA CASSEROLE and made your way if you want.  And a great GAMEDAY meal without the delivery !

Deep Dish Pizza Casserole from Mr Food.

Deep Dish Pizza Casserole

SERVES   6    COOK TIME    30 Min

Looking for a budget friendly, fast, and delicious way to feed the kids now that school is back in session? Our Deep Dish Pizza Casserole is just what you need! This easy deep dish pizza is ready in just 30 minutes, and is sure to please the kids with its cheesy pizza goodness. You'll give the flavors and simplicity of this dish an A+!

What You'll Need

• 1 pound ground beef. (add more toppings if you like see below)
  • 1/2 cups spaghetti sauce
  • 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
  • 1 cup frozen bell peppers and onions, thawed and drained
  • 1 (10-ounce) can refrigerated pizza dough
  • 12 slices mozzarella cheese, divided
  • 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese

What to Do

1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Coat a 9- x 13-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
  2. In a medium nonstick skillet over medium-high heat, brown beef, stirring until meat crumbles and is no longer pink. Drain off pan drippings. Stir in spaghetti sauce, Italian seasoning, and onion and pepper mixture and cook until heated through.
  3. Meanwhile, unroll pizza dough and press into bottom and halfway up sides of baking dish (see Notes). Line pizza dough with 6 slices of mozzarella cheese. Top with meat mixture. Place remaining 6 slices of cheese over meat filling and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
  4. Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until crust is golden and cheese begins to bubble up. Cool 5 minutes before cutting into squares and serving.

Test Kitchen Tips:

On 8/7/2019 at 2:35 PM, SD_Tom said:

Ribs usually hit the spot.  Same with wings. 

20190707_180747.jpg

20190707_180824.jpg

Nice looking St. Louis cut ribs.  You do those on a smoker or roast in the oven?  No insult if you are a grill guy.  I like them either way.  Either method works and each have their advantages.

On 6/1/2020 at 11:57 AM, mjp28 said:

I ran across this article on cooking the perfect burger and would like to hear your ideas on:   

The Art of the Perfect Burger

By Ezra Brooks Bourbon May 21, 2020 | Lifestyle

While the Fourth of July may look a little different in 2020, there’s one thing that’s a given — the all-American burger is a staple for that day. As it stands, it’s the undisputed star of any summer grilling menu, and with a few simple steps, you can ensure you’re putting a perfect burger on everyone’s plate.

First off, if you’re new to grilling, review our basic techniques suggestions here. But also keep in mind that if a grill isn’t available, you can flip a great burger right out of your kitchen skillet, too.

Burger Trifecta
Everyone thinks they’re a burger expert, which is why one man’s perfectly cooked burger may be another’s overdone hockey puck. And while there may indeed be a double-decker venison burger stacked with bleu cheese, avocado, bacon, and portobello mushroom in your culinary future, it’s better to just get the three basics right first — burger, bun, and the all-important condiments. Start simple and all will be well. The most important thing is to think fresh: steer clear of pre-packaged burgers and head to the local bakery for the buns.

Meet the Meat
A great burger is all about the meat, and the best meat will have a decent amount of fat in it to keep it juicy after cooking. You have choices here, but you can’t go wrong with buying ground beef chuck at the meat counter.

When you’re ready to make your burgers, gently form round patties of about six ounces each, or slightly larger than those fresh buns you have (to allow for shrinkage during cooking). Again, emphasis on gently — you want the patties loose, as this makes for a juicier burger. Don’t pack them into tightly formed patties. Note: Some people suggest mixing an egg or breadcrumbs with the meat as a binding agent — we don’t. We like the meat to stand on its own. Plus, overhandling the meat with lots of aggressive mixing just makes your burger less tender.

A classic tip is to make to a small thumb indentation in the middle of the burger to keep it flat while cooking, rather than plumping up and tempting you to press your spatula down on the patty while it’s on the grill. (That just squeezes the juices out of the meat, so don’t do it.)

Lastly, don’t forget to liberally season the burgers with salt (we prefer kosher salt, as the flakes are bigger) and pepper before placing them on a well-seasoned grill.

Bring the Heat
Cook the burgers on medium-high to high heat and flip as seldom as possible. About four minutes a side should put you in medium territory. If you’re cooking a bunch of burgers to different orders plan ahead: divide the grill into sections, put the well-done order on first, then medium, then rare, and take them off in reverse order.

Cheeseburger, Cheeseburger
While there are a variety of cheeses to choose from, a classic cheeseburger really requires the cheese slice to be melted over the burger in the final moments of cooking. American cheese is the hands-down go-to standard, but cheese is your launching pad for future experimentation.

Stacking It Up
To toast or not to toast the bun is also a personal choice. If you are grilling a lot of burgers it can get hectic attending to double the number of bun halves as well. Consider browning them slowly in the oven instead. We like a toasted bun because it’s less likely to fall apart as easily.

When it comes to actually building the burger, there is no real wrong way. But there are better ways.  Our personal preference is placing lettuce on the bottom bun first, followed by pickles and onions, then the meat — the lettuce on bottom helps prevent the meat juices from soaking the bottom bun and turning your burger into a soggy mess. If you like tomato, that should go on top of the meat — again, you’re keeping juice away from the bottom bun, plus, if you have cheese on top of your burger, the tomato melds with the melted cheese and has less of a tendency to slide off your burger (see, there is an art to this).

Plenty of people prefer to build their burgers with all the toppings on top of the burger, though, so to each their own. If you’re doing that with a cheeseburger, if you put your patty cheese-side down on the lower bun, that can help prevent a soggy bottom bun as well.

Burgers and Bourbon
Even a basic burger is a juicy taste extravaganza, and a sturdy bourbon will be the best accompaniment. That’s why we opt for the 117 proof, barrel strength of Old Ezra 7 Year to sip alongside our best grilled creations. The mixture of America’s favorite meal and the rich complexities of Old Ezra 7 Year may just prompt a call for seconds.

So what can be better than a burger hot off the grill ?  Remember GAMEDAY meals and tailgating may be coming up soon.   Ummmmm, bon appetit !

GettyImages-1070730232-copy-2-1536x1024.jpg

Got to pack them loose.  Tight ruins them.   Also, 80/20 meat.  Got to have fat.  Don't season.  Season after cooking, and for goodness sake, don't press them in to the grill or pan

My tomato sauce...the best ever

1 large can of Cento San Marzano tomato's...if you need more, double everything

salt to taste...you may need to adjust as you cook.

3/4 stick butter...real butter, not some fake crap

1 large onion

Cut peeled onion from pole to pole, not on equator..  You don't want onion in the sauce at the end. Cutting from stem to root holds it together.   Simmer covered about 3-4 hours.  Stir on a regular basis to break up the tomato's.  Don't break up the onion.  You want the onion flavor, you don't want the chunks of onion in the sauce.  A long low simmer kills the acid in a tomato.

Remove onion and simmer uncovered until you reach your desired thickness.  Maybe 45 minutes or so.  If it gets too thick, you can always add some water back in to thin out a bit.

The tomato's already have basil in the can.  It comes out a creamy perfect.

I am a purest, I don't add garlic or oregano, but if you insist, whatever floats your boat.  Try it my way, if you think it needs more, you and add garlic or garlic powder and oregano at the end, a tad more water and simmer another 20 minutes to infuse the flavor..they are strong seasonings, it doesn't take long for them to impart flavor.

Just remember, with a tomato, salt brings out the flavor.  It just does.  Just start with a level tablespoon, and adjust up a bit from there. Trust me, you won't over salt it at that point.  Take a taste every hour or so.  Things change as things cook.  No batch is the same because no tomato is the same.

• Thanks 1

Something that I learned long ago in my 15 years of doing GAMEDAY meals online over three sites or our 100+ cookbook collection or a lifetime of planning and cooking good food go to good sources for your recipes, cookbooks and information on food.  One of the best places is the manufacturers and suppliers of food themselves for good kitchen tested recipes.

There are hundreds of places online to get recipes some just aren't as good or the recipes need work.  Check out the Cento site for some good ideas, looks good !          https://www.cento.com/index.php

......edit add, my wife just told me that San Marzano tomatoes are one of our favorite cooks Ina Garten's "go to" tomatoes, and we love the Barefoot Contessa's stuff.

Screenshot_2020-07-30_112522.jpg

Screenshot_2020-07-30_112548.jpg

• Upvote 1