Jump to content
mjp28

Favorite GAMEDAY food?..... Dine in, carryout, *delivery or make at home.

Recommended Posts

15 minutes ago, hoorta said:

Got any recipes for crow? Seagull?  :D 

How about Dog or snake? Got a good Vietnamese one or two for ya.😋

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/2/2020 at 2:01 PM, Canton Mike said:

Oh YEAH!

Here's a hint for cheese lovers, if you ever shop at BJ's (the only place I've seen it). They have bags of individually vacuum wrapped planks of fantastic sharp cheddar...it is called "Seriously Sharp" by Cabot. Not only is it a favorite of mine, but it's a favorite at my parties, in my snack cooler that I carry for the patients I transport, tailgates, fishing, etc.

Mike

I've loved Cabot's cheeses for many years. Not an accident they've been voted America's best cheddar a bunch of times. That seriously sharp is a starting point of their aged cheddars. It's one of their oddballs. It goes up to Vintage choice- 2 year, and then Old School- 4 year. To celebrate their 100 year anniversary they offered a  real limited collection (now sold out) of 4 one pound blocks of different cheddars going up to a 5 year cheddar. I served the Cabot 18 month from that collection at our Super Bowl Party.  Along with a soft frommager d'affinous double cream, and a stilton. 

If you can't find it in stores, go to their website- the Cabot co-op is now a part of Dakin Farms. I have no problems having it shipped to me when it's winter weather. I will warn you shipping costs make it pretty pricey cheese.  :)  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

How about Dog or snake? Got a good Vietnamese one or two for ya.😋

I've heard rattlesnake tastes like chicken- but I'm not about to try any....  

Actually Ag, in my trips out west and up to Alaska I did find out some game is ok.  Like Elk or reindeer in very limited bites. Still just no to my Alaska pal's alderwood smoked salmon though.....  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, hoorta said:

I've heard rattlesnake tastes like chicken- but I'm not about to try any....  

Actually Ag, in my trips out west and up to Alaska I did find out some game is ok.  Like Elk or reindeer in very limited bites. Still just no to my Alaska pal's alderwood smoked salmon though.....  

We're going to Texas for Granddaughter's HS graduation in May/June & I am DETERMINED to find a restaurant that serves rattlesnake. It's on my bucket list of things to eat.

Mike

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, hoorta said:

I've heard rattlesnake tastes like chicken- but I'm not about to try any....  

Actually Ag, in my trips out west and up to Alaska I did find out some game is ok.  Like Elk or reindeer in very limited bites. Still just no to my Alaska pal's alderwood smoked salmon though.....  

the next time to Alaska, I would love to try the smoked salmon. And, I've always wanted to try rattlesnake.

Back in the day,  at a pre-funeral get-together in WV, I tried to get my cousin to go with me up the mountain at night to hunt for a big rattler we could cook up for the big meal tomorrow. After being an advisor to S. Vietnamese troops in Laos/Cambodia/Vietnam.... I figured he'd go.

   He just said he'd been through a lot, faced serious danger a lot, been wounded twice....but wasn't going up the mountain at night to get a rattler, he said that would be too much for him. lol

dammit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Canton Mike said:

We're going to Texas for Granddaughter's HS graduation in May/June & I am DETERMINED to find a restaurant that serves rattlesnake. It's on my bucket list of things to eat.

Mike

You don't need no damn restaurant Mike. I'll watch the road for cars while you chow down!😜

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

oh, and the next time we are in Louisiana, I want to try a basket of crawfish and alligator.

The last time we were there, in West Munroe- home of the "Duck Dynasty" Robertson family...

both were out of season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/31/2020 at 2:51 PM, ATOM said:

Tommy's Pizza on High St in Columbus

Looks interesting.    https://tommyspizza.com/campus_menu.html

GO BUCKEYES !

Screenshot_2020-02-03_212658.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

oh, and the next time we are in Louisiana, I want to try a basket of crawfish and alligator.

The last time we were there, in West Munroe- home of the "Duck Dynasty" Robertson family...

both were out of season.

Meet me in my hometown of Beaumont (Cajun for beautiful mountain-but there are none there in that swamp) and I'll treat you to a mess of crawfish tails and fried alligator. I'll bring you one of those "got here as soon as I could" Texas bumper stickers. There are lots of places in Beaumont that serve both because it is more Louisiana than it is Texas. So I'll grant you that much on your more Texan than you comments. I don't ride horses either. And you won't find me in one of these🤠 even though I inherited a nice Stetson from my dad. It stays in a box in my closet.😁

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Meet me in my hometown of Beaumont (Cajun for beautiful mountain-but there are none there in that swamp) and I'll treat you to a mess of crawfish tails and fried alligator. I'll bring you one of those "got here as soon as I could" Texas bumper stickers. There are lots of places in Beaumont that serve both because it is more Louisiana than it is Texas. So I'll grant you that much on your more Texan than you comments. I don't ride horses either. And you won't find me in one of these🤠 even though I inherited a nice Stetson from my dad. It stays in a box in my closet.😁

Thanks, but Munroe/West Munroe is way up on route 20, east of Shreveport - it's a straight shot from there to Dallas/McKinney Texas, where we would be going. You are way, way south down Houston way. There's no cell phone service that way, you would never want to break down, especially at night. Father-in-law is going on 98, ...we'd probably fly down anyways.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

Thanks, but Munroe/West Munroe is way up on route 20, east of Shreveport - it's a straight shot from there to Dallas/McKinney Texas, where we would be going. You are way, way south down Houston way. There's no cell phone service that way, you would never want to break down, especially at night. Father-in-law is going on 98, ...we'd probably fly down anyways.

In that case try a Pappadeauxs up in the Dallas area. They have it all including the alligator. One of the owners is Harris Pappas, a class of '66 A&M grad from my Corps outfit. You will find their locations here as well as menu. Type in "Dallas" and it shows all locations in the area.

https://pappadeaux.com/locations/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

In that case try a Pappadeauxs up in the Dallas area. They have it all including the alligator. One of the owners is Harris Pappas, a class of '66 A&M grad from my Corps outfit. You will find their locations here as well as menu. Type in "Dallas" and it shows all locations in the area.

https://pappadeaux.com/locations/

that is doable. Thanks !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

that is doable. Thanks !

It's one of our favorite places to go for seafood & cajun food in Austin. Harris and his siblings expanded their parents  original Pappas Restaurant in Houston to become a statewide chain which is run very well. Funny that they were able to incorporate their family name into a cajun sounding restaurant, but the family is originally from Greece.

PS-if you get the dinner be prepared to ask for boxes. You get a ton of food.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, mjp28 said:

Looks interesting.    https://tommyspizza.com/campus_menu.html

GO BUCKEYES !

Screenshot_2020-02-03_212658.jpg

weird picture as their pizza's are served as a square it is one of the first places i go when i make it back there

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/5/2020 at 6:12 PM, Dutch Oven said:

Like Italian heaven! 

Another benefit of home cooking especially in the cold weather months the house really smells good like home cookin'.

Although our rib eyes on the grill were excellent especially on an unusually warm February day.  Won't be too long until the grills are out again.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mjp28 said:

Another benefit of home cooking especially in the cold weather months the house really smells good like home cookin'.

Although our rib eyes on the grill were excellent especially on an unusually warm February day.  Won't be too long until the grills are out again.

Doesn't  matter  to me how cold it is  outside  to fire up the Weber. Well maybe  10 degrees  or colder might  give me second thoughts.  :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, hoorta said:

Doesn't  matter  to me how cold it is  outside  to fire up the Weber. Well maybe  10 degrees  or colder might  give me second thoughts.  :)

We've had a mild winter so far. As long as there's no blowing snow or rain we try to occasionally get out to grill.  Especially sunny days which have been few this winter.

Deep winter generally just for convienance and a nice warm good smelling kitchen we do our casseroles, soups, stews, chili and the Sunday roast chicken and beef meals.

And then of course are the GAMEDAY, tailgating and all that good stuff!   Mmmmm, making me hungry !  Time to throw a good menu together.  ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well my wife surprised me yesterday and made one of our GAMEDAY recipes the Contadina Meatball Subs by their recipe with a few slight modifications 1. She used the Contadina thick and zesty tomato sauce and 2. she used the 80/20 ground beef   and not the lean beef.  It came out good -but- to be honest I like my wife's 3 meat mix beef/veal/pork and a few slightly different spice combinations but here it is:

CONTADINA MEATBALL SUBS, from the Contadina foods recipes.   An easy and old time favorite recipe.  https://www.contadina.com/recipes/collections/our-favorites/meatball-subs

Serves 4   Prep time 10 minutes   Cook time 35 mintues

Ingredients

2 Tbsp. olive oil
3/4 cup minced onion, divided
1 1/2 tsp. minced garlic, divided
1 1/4 tsp. dried oregano, divided
2 Tbsp. Contadina® Italian Herb Tomato Paste or Contadina® Tomato Paste
1 can (15 oz.) Contadina® Tomato Sauce
1 slice white sandwich bread, torn into very small pieces
1/4 cup milk
1 large egg, beaten
1 lb. lean ground beef
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
2 Tbsp. thinly sliced fresh basil leaves
4 soft French sandwich rolls, split and toasted, if desired
4 slices mozzarella cheese

Directions

  1. Heat oil in a large, deep skillet over medium heat. Add 1/4 cup onion, 1/2 tsp. garlic and 1/2 tsp. oregano; and cook 2 to 3 minutes or until softened. Add tomato paste and cook about 1 minute, stirring constantly, until paste browns slightly. Stir in tomato sauce; cover and simmer on medium-low heat while preparing meatballs.

  2. Place bread, milk and egg in a large bowl; smash with a fork until bread is moistened and a paste forms. Mix in 1/2 cup onion, 1 tsp. garlic, 3/4 tsp. oregano, ground beef, Parmesan, salt and pepper just until combined. Form into 1 1/2-inch meatballs (about 2 Tbsp. each) and drop into simmering sauce in a single layer. Do not stir.

  3. Cover and simmer about 20 minutes, stirring gently halfway through, until meatballs are cooked through and tender. Sprinkle with basil. Place a slice of mozzarella in each sandwich roll, then top with meatballs and serve with sauce for dipping, if desired.

Screenshot_2020-02-07_124350.jpg

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We finished the Contadina Meatball Subs today for lunch they were even better after letting the flavors marry a bit.

My wife did use the. 2 Tbsp. Contadina® Italian Herb Tomato Paste  in her version, better flavor.  It's quick and easy and good.  ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Now this is one of my very favorite dishes for a GAMEDAY or any day meal and I found a quick and easy recipe for you for CRAB ALFREDO. I prefer crab to lobster but you can adapt it for either if you like.  It would also be good with shrimp if you'd like it that way.  Or you can go out to a fancy restaurant and see if it's any better at a fancy price.  ;)

From one of our favorite recipe places Delish !


Red Lobster fans, you can thank us later.
YIELDS:4        PREP TIME: HOURS 25 MINS      TOTAL TIME:  HOURS 25 MINS
INGREDIENTS
 
12 oz. fettuccine or linguine
3 tbsp. butter
cloves garlic, minced
3 tbsp. all-purpose flour
1 c. heavy cream
1 c. low-sodium chicken broth
1 1/2 c. freshly grated Parmesan, plus more for garnish
1 tbsp. Old Bay, plus more for sprinkling
kosher salt
Freshly ground black pepper
2 tbsp. freshly chopped parsley, plus more for garnish
1 lb. lump crab meat
Juice of 1/2 lemon
 
DIRECTIONS
 
  1. In a large pot of salted boiling water, cook linguine according to package directions until al dente. Drain and return to pot.
  2. In a large skillet over medium heat, melt butter. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, 1 minute, then add flour and stir until golden. Pour over heavy cream and chicken broth and simmer until thick, 3 minutes. Add Parmesan and let melt, 2 minutes.
  3. Season with Old Bay, salt, and pepper. Stir in parsley and crab meat and toss until coated, then add linguine and toss until fully combined.
  4. Garnish with Old Bay, parsley, and Parm and squeeze with lemon.

gallery-1487288951-delish-crab-alfredo-pin-2.jpg

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This week's GAMEDAY Sunday meal was my wife's homemade chili with corn bread and butter.   :)

Chili is always great when you look out and see snow on the ground.....and yes I miss the NFL when compared to the new XFL.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, mjp28 said:

This week's GAMEDAY Sunday meal was my wife's homemade chili with corn bread and butter.   :)

Chili is always great when you look out and see snow on the ground.....and yes I miss the NFL when compared to the new XFL.

Careful-she's making a Texan out of you! 🤠

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, DieHardBrownsFan said:

Tuna Casserolle tonight.

So what goes in it other than tuna?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

So what goes in it other than tuna?

I don't know the wife makes it.  I think egg noodles, cream of mushroom soup, peas, cheddar cheese, fried bread crumps on top.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, DieHardBrownsFan said:

I don't know the wife makes it.  I think egg noodles, cream of mushroom soup, peas, cheddar cheese, fried bread crumps on top.

We're just having having homemade vegetable beef soup with diced steak, tomatoes, onions, potatoes (and carrots for her) with some salt throw in to up the blood pressure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, The Gipper said:

McDonald’s fish filet 

Did you lose a bet? 😁

Arby's has some decent fish sandwiches, but I just can't do the McD's fish sandwich... oof. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×