Jump to content
mjp28

Favorite GAMEDAY food?..... Dine in, carryout, *delivery or make at home.

Recommended Posts

This recipe caught my eye from the BEEF It's what's for dinner above link, sounds good and easy !  Maybe something for this month's January GAMEDAY meals.

WILD MUSHROOM BEEF STEW

INGREDIENTS:

  • 2 pounds beef Stew Meat, cut into 1-inch pieces
  • 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
  • 1/2 teaspoon pepper
  • 3/4 cup reduced-sodium beef broth
  • 1/4 cup tomato paste
  • 1/4 cup dry red wine
  • 2 teaspoons minced garlic
  • 1 pound baby red-skinned potatoes, quartered
  • 8 ounces assorted mushrooms, such as shiitake, cremini and oyster, cut into quarters
  • 1 cup baby carrots
Garnish:
  • Chopped fresh parsley leaves

COOKING:

  1. Combine beef Stew Meat, flour, salt, thyme and pepper in large bowl; toss to coat. Place beef mixture in 4-1/2 to 5-1/2-quart slow cooker.
  2. Combine broth, tomato paste, wine and garlic in small bowl; mix well. Add broth mixture to beef. Add potatoes, mushrooms and carrots; mix well.
  3. Cover and cook on HIGH 5 to 6 hours, or on LOW 8 to 9 hours, or until beef and vegetables are tender. (No stirring is necessary during cooking.) Stir well before serving. Garnish with parsley, if desired.
ALTERNATE COOKING METHOD:
  1. This recipe can be made in a 6-quart electric pressure cooker. Combine beef Stew Meat, flour, salt, thyme and pepper in large bowl; toss to coat. Place beef in pressure cooker. Combine broth, tomato paste, wine and garlic in small bowl; mix well. Add broth mixture to beef. Cut potatoes into 2-inch pieces or, if smaller, keep whole. Cut carrots into 2-inch pieces. Add potatoes, whole mushrooms and carrots; mix well. Close and lock pressure cooker lid. Use beef, stew or high-pressure setting on pressure cooker; program 25 minutes on pressure cooker timer. Use quick-release feature to release pressure; carefully remove lid. Stir well before servings. Garnish with parsley, if desired. (This recipe variation was tested in an electric pressure cooker at high altitude. Cooking at an altitude of less than 3000 feet may require slightly less cooking time. Refer to the manufacturer’s instructions.). 
 

Screenshot_2020-01-10_125217.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, mjp28 said:

This recipe caught my eye from the BEEF It's what's for dinner above link, sounds good and easy !  Maybe something for this month's January GAMEDAY meals.

WILD MUSHROOM BEEF STEW

 

The problem with wild mushroom beef stew is catching them. You have to have your traps set with exactly the right bait in a similar manner to catching rabbits for wild jackrabbit stew.🐰🍄

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

The problem with wild mushroom beef stew is catching them. You have to have your traps set with exactly the right bait in a similar manner to catching rabbits for wild jackrabbit stew.🐰🍄

Or you can do what we do and go to our local Giant Eagle or Rulli's Italian grocery store.  At one time where we used to live long ago surrounded by woods and lakes we could hunt for real wild mushrooms but that's too much work now.

Besides it calls for some easy to find mushrooms but you can use what you like.  I like shitakies or portabellos in most mushroom dishes.

  •  8 ounces assorted mushrooms, such as shiitake, cremini and oyster, cut into quarters

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well today our GAMEDAY FOOD thread passed the 1,500 replies -and- 24,000 views.

I thank you one and all for your interest and support in our love of sports, football and GOOD food. Here's to 20,000 more views !

Bon Appetit to you all. 

pizza.thumb.jpg.3ec5835bddcbd335640aae93c38f90fe.jpg

  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is what we are having for our Sunday GAMEDAY MEAL my wife is out picking up a few things like half & half and we're almost out of Italian seasoning.  We are lucky to have a Giant Eagle for meats and deli food, etc, Aldi's, Marc's and a real gem Rulli's which is a smaller but loaded local Italian grocery store for lunch meat and cheese (they sell tons of it) and prepared food, spices and about anything else you need for cooking or baking.    Two locations just ask any Boardman/Austintown area local about it. Oh all within 3 miles of our house.

BAKED PARMESAN CHICKEN AND POTATOES  - I haven't done a recipe in awhile.  We've had recipes similar to this in the past.

INGREDIENTS

6 bone-in chicken thighs (skin-on, optional)

1 pound baby Dutch potatoes, halved or quartered (or any on hand like redskins)

3-4 cups baby spinach, chopped. (we're using chopped spinach we had)

4 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided

1 tablespoon Italian seasoning  (optional but good if you like Italian!)

Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste

Fresh parsley, optional

Sauce:

1 cup low-sodium chicken broth. (we prefer regular chicken broth)

1/2 cup half and half

1/2 cup parmesan cheese, grated. (we have shredded on hand)

1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter

1/4 cup all-purpose flour

4 cloves garlic, minced

1 teaspoon dried thyme

1 teaspoon dried basil

1/2 teaspoon dried oregano

PREPARATION

Preheat oven to 400º F and lightly grease a 9×13-inch baking dish with butter or non-stick spray.

Melt 2 tablespoons butter in a large pan or skillet over medium-high heat and sauté spinach until just wilted. Remove from heat.

For the sauce: lower heat to medium and add butter to skillet. Add minced garlic and cook for 1-2 minutes, stirring frequently so it doesn’t burn.

Whisk in flour and cook for 1 minute, or until roux is thick and golden brown, then slowly whisk in chicken broth until incorporated.

Stir in parmesan cheese and half-and-half, and cook for another 3-5 minutes, or until thickened, then stir in thyme, basil and oregano. Season with salt and pepper.

Season chicken thighs with salt and pepper and Italian seasoning and place in baking dish.

Place chicken thighs skin side up in your greased baking dish, then top with sauteéd spinach and halved potatoes. Top with cream sauce, then place in oven and bake for 20-25 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through.

Optional: broil for final 5 minutes, or until skin is crispy, if not already seared.

Remove from oven and serve hot.

9d90202-100d0-1024x768.jpg

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was thinking of you yesterday mjp, was driving through your old stomping grounds of Niles for the first time in years. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

I was thinking of you yesterday mjp, was driving through your old stomping grounds of Niles for the first time in years. 

Niles McKinley class of 1968 !   Used to have some great unique restaurants on the strip, some now replaced by franchises, too bad. (But they have an Indians A baseball team!)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Made a fresh pot of my famous green beans cooked with cherrywood smoked think cut bacon that has been semi-fried before inclusion. Now all I have to do today is think of some dish to go with them. Been thinking maybe chicken tenders baked in a basil & leftover cabernet sauce with just a hint of blackberry jam added in to baste it with. And now that my gastroenterologist has cleared me to resume consumption, think I'll have a nice small glass of cabernet port by Deaver Vineyards of Amador County, Californicate to go with it.🍷😋

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Made a fresh pot of my famous green beans cooked with cherrywood smoked think cut bacon that has been semi-fried before inclusion. Now all I have to do today is think of some dish to go with them. Been thinking maybe chicken tenders baked in a basil & leftover cabernet sauce with just a hint of blackberry jam added in to baste it with. And now that my gastroenterologist has cleared me to resume consumption, think I'll have a nice small glass of cabernet port by Deaver Vineyards of Amador County, Californicate to go with it.🍷😋

The first time I had my homemade wild blackberry jam with baked chicken - it was an amazing combination. Which reminds me, on Christmas vacation with our friends in NC, we had banana pudding. Normally, I don't care much for the stuff. But this recipe had cream cheese in it, and it was amazing - the texture was like the very best coconut cream pie. Now I forget where they got the recipe. It rocked for dessert.

    Yesterday, cooked a nice small pot roast in the 2 qt pressure cooker - then cooked it a bit more with cut up potatoes, carrots....

Some fresh ground 4 pepper mix, salt... that was excellent. Only took about a half hr. Amazing. (browned big cut ups of roast in skillet before pc)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, calfoxwc said:

- the texture was like the very best coconut cream pie. Now I forget where they got the recipe. It rocked for dessert.

That reminds me that my wife wants me to make my other famous recipe for Key Lime Pie. I use real key limes, but they are hard as rocks compared to the regular ones and hand squeezing out that much juice gave both hands cramps. So I got smart from then on. I cut them in half and put them in the microwave to warm them up decently and then use one of those hinged metal nutcrackers to leverage the juice right out. Easy peasy. Makes for a really good and really fresh Key Lime Pie rather than using store bought lime juice in a bottle.

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TexasAg1969 said:

That reminds me that my wife wants me to make my other famous recipe for Key Lime Pie. I use real key limes, but they are hard as rocks compared to the regular ones and hand squeezing out that much juice gave both hands cramps. So I got smart from then on. I cut them in half and put them in the microwave to warm them up decently and then use one of those hinged metal nutcrackers to leverage the juice right out. Easy peasy. Makes for a really good and really fresh Key Lime Pie rather than using store bought lime juice in a bottle.

Another good way for you to get the juice out of key limes is when squeezing them, for you to think of Derrick Henry. 

Those things will be dry as a bone in no time. 😃

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

Another good way for you to get the juice out of key limes is when squeezing them, for you to think of Derrick Henry. 

Those things will be dry as a bone in no time. 😃

I would not be able to catch them just like the LBs he runs by can't catch him either.🤣

BTW I ate a lot of shit here for his first 2 1/2 years. This is my turn to say"I told you so MFers!", so I'm milkin' it for all it's worth. Run Derrick, Run!🤩

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DieHardBrownsFan said:

Image result for lima beans and ham c rations pics

Yum-ham 'n mother frs! Load it up with extra pepper and you can actually swallow it then.😋

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We're having our BAKED PARMESAN CHICKEN AND POTATOES this afternoon with a few more tweaks to the recipe.  I'll let you know how it comes out.

We have a nice 24" TV in the kitchen to watch the games during Saturday or Sunday dinners !

3 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

The first time I had my homemade wild blackberry jam with baked chicken - it was an amazing combination. Which reminds me, on Christmas vacation with our friends in NC, we had banana pudding. Normally, I don't care much for the stuff. But this recipe had cream cheese in it, and it was amazing - the texture was like the very best coconut cream pie. Now I forget where they got the recipe. It rocked for dessert.

    Yesterday, cooked a nice small pot roast in the 2 qt pressure cooker - then cooked it a bit more with cut up potatoes, carrots....

Some fresh ground 4 pepper mix, salt... that was excellent. Only took about a half hr. Amazing. (browned big cut ups of roast in skillet before pc)

Cut up carrots, potatoes and onions with pot roast or baked chicken is one of my favorite "go to" dishes especially on a cold Sunday afternoon !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, mjp28 said:

We're having our BAKED PARMESAN CHICKEN AND POTATOES this afternoon with a few more tweaks to the recipe.  I'll let you know how it comes out.

We have a nice 24" TV in the kitchen to watch the games during Saturday or Sunday dinners !

Saute some mushrooms and add them to the parmesan cheese before baking on the chicken. Just had that Friday and it's really good that way.👍

PS-Made some turkey - rice soup with leftover thawed out dark meat from the Xmas turkey and chicken broth yesterday. Like the green beans with bacon you can serve it separately as a meal. Having some more of that today with the games.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Saute some mushrooms and add them to the parmesan cheese before baking on the chicken. Just had that Friday and it's really good that way.👍

Mushrooms would probably work with a dish like this particularly hearty dark browns like porabellos or shitakes maybe some buttons.  We're making a roux with ours in this old recipe that I cobbled together and some tweaks from my wife:

For the sauce: lower heat to medium and add butter to skillet. Add minced garlic and cook for 1-2 minutes, stirring frequently so it doesn’t burn.

Whisk in flour and cook for 1 minute, or until roux is thick and golden brown, then slowly whisk in chicken broth until incorporated.

Stir in parmesan cheese and half-and-half, and cook for another 3-5 minutes, or until thickened, then stir in thyme, basil and oregano. Season with salt and pepper.

.......edit add, and don't forget..... Season chicken thighs with salt and pepper and Italian seasoning and place in baking dish.

Edited by mjp28
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yum-(I ran out of my quota of emoticons for the day).

BTW how's your recovery going? Well I hope.👍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Yum-(I ran out of my quota of emoticons for the day).

BTW how's your recovery going? Well I hope.👍

My recovery is going well only 3 doctor appointments this week, 1 next an 2 the week after then pretty much done.....I hope.

And now that I'm home for about 42 days I'm eating like a well fed pig and put on a few needed pounds !  :D.  (and reading recipes)

Bon appetit !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, mjp28 said:

We're having our BAKED PARMESAN CHICKEN AND POTATOES this afternoon with a few more tweaks to the recipe.  I'll let you know how it comes out.

We have a nice 24" TV in the kitchen to watch the games during Saturday or Sunday dinners !

Cut up carrots, potatoes and onions with pot roast or baked chicken is one of my favorite "go to" dishes especially on a cold Sunday afternoon !

can't do onions or steam broccoli unless the Wife is visiting her Dad in Texas... she doesn't like em. lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For our Sunday AFC and NFC kitchen TV  GAMEDAY MEAL we're having one of my favorite cold weather Sunday dishes. My wife's homemade chicken noodle soup.

Recipe:. Onions + carrots + *celery + noodles + chicken soup secret spices + 1 dead chicken in a pot   Let cook and simmer for hours with Italian bread and butter on the side Ummmmm.

Sometimes the simple dishes are great.    * Almost forgot the celery.

0cd0145a3d67d55fbf0945bd5afffc5e.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, mjp28 said:

For our Sunday AFC and NFC kitchen TV  GAMEDAY MEAL we're having one of my favorite cold weather Sunday dishes. My wife's homemade chicken noodle soup.

Recipe:. Onions + carrots + noodles + chicken soup secret spices + 1 dead chicken in a pot   Let cook and simmer for hours with Italian bread and butter on the side Ummmmm.

Sometimes the simple dishes are great.

0cd0145a3d67d55fbf0945bd5afffc5e.jpg

I could fix that a bit. Put in those ingredients without the carrots and start the simmering going. Every 1/2 hour check on the soup and add liquid if needed. Each time you check eat a raw carrot. Hopefully by the time it's done, so are the carrots you set aside for the soup. Can't stand cooked carrots but I like 'em as a raw munchie. Brings back horrible memories of Mom's once a week beef stew. We were required to eat everything we were served. None of our cats or dogs ever liked 'em either so I had no secret disposal place for 'em. Same for boiled okra. Gag reflex got tested a lot in our house. Oh and cold asparagus out of a can was saved for special kid torture sessions when you thought they got too mouthy. Instant cure!🤢🤮 😜

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

I could fix that a bit. Put in those ingredients without the carrots and start the simmering going. Every 1/2 hour check on the soup and add liquid if needed. Each time you check eat a raw carrot. Hopefully by the time it's done, so are the carrots you set aside for the soup. Can't stand cooked carrots but I like 'em as a raw munchie. Brings back horrible memories of Mom's once a week beef stew. We were required to eat everything we were served. None of our cats or dogs ever liked 'em either so I had no secret disposal place for 'em. Same for boiled okra. Gag reflex got tested a lot in our house. Oh and cold asparagus out of a can was saved for special kid torture sessions when you thought they got too mouthy. Instant cure!🤢🤮 😜

We are going to start the soup today and sample some tonight and it will be much better tomorrow after sitting all night in our garage frig or if cold enough just in the garage.

I like the carrots and onions and *celery cooked in with everything, makes a great broth for dipping the buttered Italian bread later.  Ummmmm.

....... *almost forgot the celery plus of course my wife's homegrown and dried herbs which really make the kitchen smell good!

Edited by mjp28

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OMG that was good!  Nothing like a small bowl of Homemade CNS on a cold and windy night.

And tomorrow afternoon it we will be lunch watching the AFC and NFC Championship games.  :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/10/2020 at 9:56 PM, TexasAg1969 said:

The problem with wild mushroom beef stew is catching them. You have to have your traps set with exactly the right bait in a similar manner to catching rabbits for wild jackrabbit stew.🐰🍄

Well, once in a great  while our high end grocery store  brings in fresh morels, if the price  tag of $42 bucks a pound  doesn't  deter you. They did have some  oyster and a few other varieties of  'shrooms available  today. 

Ah, just grilled  up a steak with Pine Club leftovers and  wine. FWIW, you can't  go wrong with the '15, '16, and now '18 Bordeaux for good  values. I hope tarrif Trump  comes to his senses. 

PS, when it comes to port, I'm  a purist.  Only the  real stuff from  Portugal.  Had a glass of  Taylor 10 year tawny as a nitecap. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, hoorta said:

FWIW, you can't  go wrong with the '15, '16, and now '18 Bordeaux for good  values. I hope tarrif Trump  comes to his senses. 

PS, when it comes to port, I'm  a purist.  Only the  real stuff from  Portugal.  Had a glass of  Taylor 10 year tawny as a nitecap. 

I have to admit I agree with you on the port. My Dad loved the very best stuff (read that as most expensive) from Portugal and I never turned down a glass of it. It was his only drinking vice. He would take any California Cabernet I offered however, just as my Mom did. He never asked the price and I never told my penny pinching Mom until I had her taste Mike Grgich's there at the winery. I thought she would choke when she found out it was $50/bottle even though it had the highest recommendation from her retired dentist wine collector next door. He was the one who sent us there telling us it was the best in Napa as far as he was concerned. But as you know I am devoted to Honig. The 2016 is another excellent year BTW. I have about 5 of them already in my limited space wine fridge.When I get home from Colorado I need to open Mike's from that day he sold it to me. Kept it this long for sentimental value since Mom incredulously watched me turn over the cash.  LOL!  But, times up and I need to open in now before it starts to decline. I'll keep the empty in memory of that day we went wine tasting together in Napa.😍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Made Chili last night. Different every time. Ground beef, variety of canned beans (including 2 cans with chili sauce in them), jalapeno, canned chopped tomatoes (with chilies) and tomato sauce and chili powder to taste. 

For game time today going to put it over pasta - not Cinci style - Toledo style! Mmmm

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, dusty said:

Made Chili last night. Different every time. Ground beef, variety of canned beans (including 2 cans with chili sauce in them), jalapeno, canned chopped tomatoes (with chilies) and tomato sauce and chili powder to taste. 

For game time today going to put it over pasta - not Cinci style - Toledo style! Mmmm

That's coming up real soon in our Winter 2019-20  soup, stew, chili and casserole GAMEDAY MEALS tour.  So much to choose from and so many better the next day meals.

No wrong way to make chili, goulash and stews it's whatever you like best  -but- also nothing wrong to pick up new ideas and recipes either.  ;)

........edit add we got this book as a shower gift about 38 years ago, great cookbook! Can get it used in good shape from Amazon 96 pages......for about $5.

Screenshot_2020-01-19_190258.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Want some GAMEDAY munchies for the Senior Bowl or Pro Bowl or just a low carb snack?  And it's quick and easy.

Garlic-ky Shrimp Zucchini Boats

When you're craving pasta, these zucchini boats are a great option. The easy shrimp filling tastes almost like a creamy shrimp scampi. It's so good, it haunts our dreams. 

YIELDS:SERVINGS             PREP TIME:HOURS 10 MINS          TOTAL TIME:HOURS 45 MINS
INGREDIENTS
 
large zucchini, halved lengthwise
1 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil 
1 tsp. thyme leaves 
2 tbsp. butter
3/4 lb. large shrimp, peeled and deveined
tomatoes, chopped
cloves garlic, minced 
1/4 c. heavy cream 
1/4 c. grated Parmesan

Juice of 1/2 lemon1

c. shredded mozzarella

Freshly chopped parsley, for garnish

 
DIRECTIONS
 
  1. Preheat oven to 350°. Score zucchini (like you’re dicing an avocado) and scoop out insides to use later. Place zucchini boats in a large baking dish and drizzle all over with oil. Season with salt and pepper and sprinkle thyme leaves on top. Bake until tender, about 20 minutes. 
  2. In a large skillet over medium heat, melt butter. Add shrimp and season with salt and pepper. Cook until pink and cooked through, 3 to 4 minutes. Remove from heat and when cool enough to handle, chop into bite-size pieces. Return shrimp to skillet then stir in reserved zucchini, tomatoes, and garlic and cook until fragrant, 1 minute more. Add cream, Parmesan, and lemon juice, and cook until slightly reduced, 3 minutes. 
  3. Fill zucchini boats with shrimp mixture and top with mozzarella. Cook until cheese is bubbly, about 10 minutes more. Garnish with more Parmesan and parsley.

delish-garlicky-shrimp-zucchini-boats-still002-1532537790 (1).jpg

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

https://www.bing.com/search?q=Crawfish+Pie&filters=ufn%3a"Crawfish+Pie"+sid%3a"a888511e-db77-5faf-07e0-a97da223629e"+segment%3a"generic.carousel"+secq%3a"crawfish+pie"+supwlcar%3a"1"+tsource%3a"EntitySegments"+catesegtype%3a"recipe"+cack%3a"95348d35-d13b-4c84-a0b7-2af443e4758e"+segtype%3a"UmVjaXBl"+ctype%3a"0"+mltype%3a"0"+eltypedim1%3a"Recipe"&FORM=SNAPCR&crslsl=0

th?id=OIP.ZGqrC4TkZ7_ktffDPFBNqAHaE5&w=2Crawfish Pie

Southdish.com · 1 review
1hr 20mins · 244 cals per serving · 8 servs
  • Ingredients (14)
  • Nutritional facts (Per serving)
  • Substitutions
 
4 tablespoons butter
½ cup celery (chopped)
1 cup onions (chopped)
½ cup bell peppers (chopped)
½ teaspoon cayenne
¼ teaspoon black pepper (ground)
⅛ teaspoon white pepper (ground)
1 ½ teaspoons salt
½ cup canned tomatoes (chopped)
2 tablespoons parsley (chopped)
1 pound crawfish tails (peeled)
1 cup water
2 tablespoons flour
1 pie crust (9 inch)
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×