THE BROWNS BOARD

• Favorite GAMEDAY food ? ..... Dine in, carryout, *delivery or make at home.

mjp28

4 hours ago, DieHardBrownsFan said:

I don't know the wife makes it.  I think egg noodles, cream of mushroom soup, peas, cheddar cheese, fried bread crumps on top.

We're just having having homemade vegetable beef soup with diced steak, tomatoes, onions, potatoes (and carrots for her) with some salt throw in to up the blood pressure.

5 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Not yet. Arby’s fish is good 

I think Arby's fish sandwich is better than most all takeout fish sandwiches with potato cakes horsey sauce and a jamocia shake not bad!  And 2/$6 is pretty good too.

9 hours ago, mjp28 said:

I think Arby's fish sandwich is better than most all takeout fish sandwiches with potato cakes horsey sauce and a jamocia shake not bad!  And 2/$6 is pretty good too.

i have never had either sandwich but i do like the horsey sauce

Kona coffee. Like magic. The Kona blend is good, but real pure Kona coffee,

is magic...

like Hawaii. If you there, take at least two weeks...

and bring me some Kona coffee beans.

the flight there is about 4? hrs from San Fran though.

27 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Too bitter for my taste. 

The Koa Medium Estate Kona is not bitter at all really. Known for it's smooth aftertaste and lack of bitterness. Look at reviews section and there you will find the comment below. I can attest she is correct IMO.

https://www.koacoffee.com/p/pure-kona-coffee/estate-medium-roast-ground-kona \

Barbara Jun 22nd 2019

Estate Medium Roast Ground

This is a perfect medium roast, no bitterness, smooth. The grind is suitable for an automatic drip or a French press. Perfect for coffee snobs.

53 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Estate Medium Roast Ground

This is a perfect medium roast, no bitterness, smooth. The grind is suitable for an automatic drip or a French press. Perfect for coffee snobs.

Beverages of all kinds go hand in hand in all sorts of meals including GAMEDAY and tailgating.  We have on our forum wine aficionados and cigar aficionados (me) besides foodies.

Well there are sites and basic information like Java Presse about coffee too like the one below.  Knowledge is King!

Want To Be A Coffee Aficionado? Here Are 5 Things You Need To Know

https://www.javapresse.com/blogs/brew-guides/coffee-aficionado-5-things-to-know

Bon appetit !

2 minutes ago, mjp28 said:

Here Are 5 Things You Need To Know

https://www.javapresse.com/blogs/brew-guides/coffee-aficionado-5-things-to-know

Bon appetit !

So whole bean with a home grinder is the way to go. I had Koa grind it up and send it to me FedEx. Still very fresh. Next time I'll try it the other way since I do have a little grinder.👍

5 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

So whole bean with a home grinder is the way to go. I had Koa grind it up and send it to me FedEx. Still very fresh. Next time I'll try it the other way since I do have a little grinder.👍

I'm not the coffee connoisseur or aficionado that's my wife's department but that javapresse site among others is interesting.

2. TASTING COFFEE IS A SKILL YOU SHOULD LEARN

Coffees from Ethiopia and Indonesia taste widely different. Let’s get even closer.

Coffees from Guatemala and Honduras can taste very different. Even closer.

Coffees across the valley from each other in Panama can taste very different.

Coffee is an agricultural product. Its flavor is heavily dependent on the plant’s environment. The soil, climate, health and variety of the plant, the harvesting and processing methods - these all contribute to the diverse range of flavors that coffee can feature.

Ever tasted coffee that had rich aromas of blueberry or rose? Ever tasted coffee with a note of sweet pepper, honey, or cardamom? They’re out there, but you’ll miss them if your taste buds aren’t awake and ready.

I cannot recommend more passionately that you learn to taste coffee. It’s a skill that will take some developing, but it’ll produce lifelong rewards.

Learning to taste coffee well increases your appreciation for the coffee ands its farmers. This skill increases your gratitude for the little things in general. And, to be frank, it’ll boost your coffee aficionado status greatly.

Check out complete guide to learning to taste coffee like a pro.

My wife just bought a nice bag of green peppers and we're going to try this recipe today.  Should be a great snack for GAMEDAY or parties and get togethers.

Bell Pepper Oven Fries.      

Guilt free and addicting.    You'll forget about the other fries !

YIELDS:6
PREP TIME:     0 HOURS 10 MINS
TOTAL TIME:     0 HOURS 35 MINS
INGREDIENTS
FOR BELL PEPPERS
bell peppers, sliced into 1/2" rounds, seeds removed
large eggs, beaten with 1 tbsp water
1 c. flour
1 1/2 c. panko breadcrumbs
1 tsp. paprika
1 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. kosher salt
FOR DIPPING SAUCE
1/3 c. mayonnaise
1/3 c. sour cream
2 tbsp. ketchup
1 tbsp. finely chopped parsley
1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
kosher salt
Freshly ground black pepper

DIRECTIONS
  1. Preheat oven to 400° and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. In a medium shallow bowl, combine panko with paprika, garlic powder, and salt. Coat pepper rings first in flour, then egg, then panko mixture.
  2. Place on prepared baking sheet.
  3. Bake 10 minutes, flip peppers and bake 10 minutes more, until tender. Remove from oven and let cool slightly.
  4. While peppers are baking, make dipping sauce: In a medium bowl, combine mayonnaise, sour cream, ketchup, parsley and Worcestershire sauce. Season with salt and pepper and whisk to combine.
  5. Serve pepper rings with dipping sauce on the side.

gallery-1518730611-delish-bell-pepper-oven-fries-pinterest-still003.jpg

On 1/31/2020 at 2:30 PM, mjp28 said:

Well it's that time of the year for the SLICE OF THE VALLEY pizza challenge. they've expanded to 15 vendors and some local beer vendors.  Celebrity judges include Kevin Mack, Boom Boom Mancini and many others. Sunday March 1st 2020 at the Metroplex Expo Center in Liberty (Youngstown/Warren area).  

http://www.sliceofthevalley.com/?utm_source=fbook&utm_medium=darkpost&utm_campaign=beervote&utm_term=ai&utm_content=interest&fbclid=IwAR3LusJgNnxc355JG_Abx1yy5wOO4ln4sfWC0VChxgcChCRNsOmgRjT

Check it out......

Screenshot_2020-01-31_142024.jpg

Screenshot_2020-01-31_142153.jpg

Screenshot_2020-01-31_143236.jpg

Coming up this weekend March 1, 2020.

2 minutes ago, mjp28 said:

Hey besides Kevin Mack and Miss Ohio and others there's some Sinatra !

Screenshot_2020-02-27_105119.jpg

Shouldn't that be the sounds of Dean Martin?  After all, being from Steubenville, he was much more of a Mahoning Co. homeboy that Sinatra...who was from Hoboken NJ.  

And FYI....the new Las Vegas Raiders stadium is located at the corner of  Dean Martin Blvd. and Mandalay Way. 

1 hour ago, The Gipper said:

Shouldn't that be the sounds of Dean Martin?  After all, being from Steubenville, he was much more of a Mahoning Co. homeboy that Sinatra...who was from Hoboken NJ.  

And FYI....the new Las Vegas Raiders stadium is located at the corner of  Dean Martin Blvd. and Mandalay Way. 

I remember when Sinatra played in Youngstown and he used to stop in from time to time.  A lot of those guys used to eat and stay in the valley.

A few of the notable old SF 49ers used to visit the Debartolos and go to the old man's restaurant Paeonesa's (which was EJD Sr's dad's surname) and our absolute favorite restaurant.  They had the best escargot and my favorite dish there Penne Calabrese which we still duplicate the recipe.  I have some of their old menus and passed copies on to Michael Alberini who runs Alberini's in Boardman he's the nephew of Rich Alberini who ran Alberini's in Niles.

You could occasionally catch Joe Montana, Jerry Rice, Dwight Clark and others eating there.  Rice and others were in DC when Trump pardoned EJD Jr recently and spoke on his behalf to the media.

Shortly after the old man died they phased out the costly to run restaurant and turned it into a banquet center and attached it to the 4 star Holiday Inn in Boardman.....just down the street from us.   We miss going to Paeonesa's when it opened up at 4 pm and watch EJD We come in every night at 5:45 to 6 pm to to his private booth with a TV and phone for dinner his wife was long deceased.  He was actually kind of friendly to us because we were there often. And I drove right past his house everyday on my way to my office.

Just a little piece of Mahoning Valley culinary and other history.

This year's visit, for the whole story see the link....... ooops the link https://www.vindy.com/sports/local-sports/2019/09/just-visiting

YOUNGSTOWN — After coming off of a 31-17 victory against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in Week 1 of the NFL season, the San Francisco 49ers have made a pitstop in the Mahoning Valley this week ahead of their matchup against the Cincinnati Bengals on Sunday.......

.......It’s been good, the Holiday Inn (in Boardman) has been nice to us,” coach Kyle Shanahan said after Wednesday’s practice. “Today was the first day I’ve been outside since we landed Sunday, so I haven’t seen much of Youngstown. The Holiday Inn has been great, they’ve treated us real well, the setup has been good, and coming here today practicing was great.”

This isn’t the first time the 49ers have stayed in the Mahoning Valley. They have made stops in Youngstown in the past when they’ve had games in the Eastern time zone on consecutive weeks. Staying in Youngstown means the team doesn’t have to make the long flight home in between games.

The 49ers have had connections to the Mahoning Valley dating back to when Eddie DeBartolo Jr. bought the team in 1977. They’re now currently owned by Denise DaBartolo York and John York.........

Shanahan spent one season as the offensive coordinator for the Cleveland Browns in 2014, but this was his first trip to the Mahoning Valley.

He does however have a connection to Youngstown State coach Bo Pelini. Shanahan was a ball boy while his father, Mike Shanahan, served as the 49ers’ offensive coordinator from 1992-1994. Pelini was an assistant coach in San Francisco from 1994-1996.

“I know him from that time.” Shanahan said “I know all the coaches names because I had to pass their laundry out, and they always had their names on their baggie. I remember all those guys and all the players from those years.

.........“(Pelini) is a good guy, but I haven’t seen him for a long time.”.........continued in the link.........

More from the other 49ers and their MV stay,. they ate very well.......more in link......   https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2019/09/12/richard-sherman-49ers-enjoying-stay-at-youngstown-state/40140381

YOUNGSTOWN, Ohio (AP) — Richard Sherman wasn't overly enthused when he learned the San Francisco 49ers were spending an entire week in Ohio.

Four days into their stay, the four-time Pro Bowl cornerback is singing a different tune.

I've told some of the guys, this isn't your normal Division I-AA looking school, that's for sure," quarterback Jimmy Garoppolo said. "I've been to a number of them and the stadium, weight room, whatever we've seen here, it's pretty impressive. The whole week, it's been good.".....(JG loves the Italian food here, I'll try and find his favorite restaurants)........

.........It wouldn't be surprising if Garoppolo stops at his new favorite ice cream parlor or tight end George Kittle picks up a box of chicken on their way out of town.

"Youngstown State has been awesome and the Holiday Inn has been incredible, just a great week," Iowa product Kittle said, breaking into a smile. "The best part of being back in the Midwest is you have every chain restaurant you could imagine here. Now, I'm not saying I've eaten at them all, but it's nice just to know they're there for you.".......

From another link......    

It’s safe to say the players and coaches are taking full advantage of what Youngstown has to offer.

“Handel’s Ice Cream, yeah, good call,” said quarterback Jimmy Garoppolo. “It’s close by the hotel, so yeah. But the Italian food, we had some Maso Colli. We went to the York family dinner and everything, so they had it all set up with a great spread. So yeah, Youngstown has been nothing but a great time.”

OK back to GAMEDAY or party time recipes this one quick and easy and one of my favorites......deviled eggs !

Deviled Eggs Dip

No time to individually fill 24 deviled eggs? Us either! This easy dip takes so little time, and is just as delicious as the party app you know and love. We're hooked!

Made this? Let us know how it came out.

YIELDS: 6 - 8 SERVINGS.     PREP TIME: 0 HOURS MINS.     TOTAL TIME: 0 HOURS 50 MINS

INGREDIENTS

1 dozen large eggs

1/4 c. mayonnaise 
2 tbsp. Dijon mustard
2 tsp. hot sauce
Kosher salt
1/2 c. sour cream
Finely chopped chives, for garnish
Smoked paprika, for garnish
Pita chips, for dipping    Celery sticks, for dipping    Carrot sticks, for dipping  (or your favorite chips)

DIRECTIONS
  1. In a medium saucepan, cover eggs by 1" water. Bring to a boil and remove from the heat. Let sit 11 minutes. Drain and run eggs under cool water. When cool enough to handle, peel eggs and transfer to a food processor.
  2. Add mayonnaise, mustard, and hot sauce to food processor and pulse until smooth. Season with salt and pepper. 
  3. Add sour cream and process until smooth. Transfer into a serving dish and garnish with paprika and chives. 
  4. Serve with pita chips, celery sticks, and carrot sticks (or your favorite chips, veggies).

delish-deviled-egg-dip-still002-1582577528.jpg

A good anytime meal STUFFED EGGPLANT PARM.

We're between winter and spring still a good time to use the oven......and you won't miss the pasta.

YIELDS: 4 SERVINGS.      PREP TIME:    0 HOURS 20 MINS.   COOK TIME:    0 HOURS 50 MINS.  
TOTAL TIME:    1 HOUR 10 MINS

INGREDIENTS

1 1/2 c. marinara, divided
2 medium eggplants, halved
1 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
1 tsp. dried oregano
Kosher salt
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 c. chopped tomatoes
1 large egg, lightly beaten
2 1/2 c. shredded mozzarella, divided  
1/4 c.  freshly grated Parmesan   
1/4 c.   Italian bread crumbs
Freshly sliced basil, for garnish

DIRECTIONS

1. Preheat oven to 350°. Spread 1 cup of marinara over the bottom of a 9x13-inch baking dish. Using a spoon, hollow out eggplants, leaving about a 1/2-inch-thick border around skin to create a boat; transfer to baking dish. Roughly chop scooped-out eggplant flesh.
  2. In a large skillet over medium heat, heat oil. Add onion and cook until soft, 5 minutes. Stir in chopped eggplant and season with oregano, salt, and pepper. Cook, stirring often, until golden and tender, 3 to 4 minutes. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, 1 minute.
  3. Transfer mixture to a bowl and add tomatoes, egg, 1 cups of mozzarella, and remaining 1/2 cup marinara. Mix until just combined, then scoop into eggplant boats. Top with remaining 1 cup mozzarella, Parmesan, and bread crumbs.
  4. Bake until eggplants are tender and cheese is golden, about 50 minutes.
  5. Garnish with basil before serving.

1509560921-stuffed-eggplant-parm-delish.jpg

I'm just trying out various current and future GAMEDAY and everyday recipes, here's a good one and so easy !

GARLIC-PARM ZUCCHINI SAUTÉ   

As you probably know by now we really like zucchini so here's a recipe that is really quick and easy and affordable plus delicious.

Most days, we don't have time to make an elaborate side dish, and something simple is all we crave. This easy, quick-sautéed zucchini is the perfect side dish for those nights. It's full of flavor, and the zucchini slightly caramelizes as it cooks in the cast-iron pan. It's our favorite way to use up zucchini (beside chocolate zucchini bread, of course) and you can catch us eating it as our lunch almost weekly. 

YIELDS:4 SERVINGS

PREP TIME:  0 HOURS 10 MINS        TOTAL TIME:   0 HOURS 20 MINS

INGREDIENTS

1 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
3 large zucchini, cut into rounds
1/2 tsp. dried oregano 
Kosher salt
Pinch of crushed red pepper flakes
1/4 c. freshly grated Parmesan

DIRECTIONS

In a large skillet over medium heat, heat oil. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, 30 seconds. Add zucchini and oregano. Cook until zucchini is tender, about 10 minutes. Season with salt, pepper, and a pinch red pepper flakes. 

Top with Parmesan and serve warm...... now how easy is that !

delish-190618-saute-ed-zucchini-015-landscape-pf-1561759338.png

I did a asparagus dish last night with garlic salt (or u can use cloves) & pepper 3/4 cup heavy cream cup of mozzarella cup of parmesan  cook at 400 for 25 to 30 mins and i believe at looking at the above post zucchini would be awesome also

• Upvote 1

We do try out our various recipes we put up here, today we are having salmon with a side of our recent recipe of GARLIC-PARM ZUCCHINI SAUTÉ. Tomorrow we are having another recent recipe STUFFED EGGPLANT PARM.

COMING UP SOON we are having a new recipe based on my love of Philly Cheesesteaks:

Cheesesteak Stuffed Peppers

A Philly favorite with a twist!   I love Philly Cheesesteaks and it follows with our quick and easy and good to eat meals with veggies.

YIELDS: 4.     SERVINGS PREP TIME: 0 HOURS 10 MINS.     TOTAL TIME: 0 HOURS 35 MINS

INGREDIENTS

4 bell peppers, halved
1 tbsp. vegetable oil
1 large onion, sliced
16 oz. cremini mushrooms, sliced. (you can substitute your favorite Philly Cheesesteaks mushrooms like baby bellas, button, etc.)
Kosher salt
1 1/2 lb. sirloin steak, thinly sliced
2 tsp. Italian seasoning
16 slices provolone
Freshly chopped parsley, for garnish

DIRECTIONS

Preheat oven to 325º. Place peppers in a large baking dish and bake until tender, 30 minutes.

Meanwhile, in a large skillet over medium-high heat, heat oil. Add onions and mushrooms and season with salt and pepper. Cook until soft, 6 minutes. Add steak and season with more salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, 3 minutes. Stir in Italian seasoning.

Add provolone to bottom of baked peppers and top with steak mixture. Top with another piece of provolone and broil until golden, 3 minutes.

Garnish with parsley before serving.

gallery-1487369143-delish-cheesesteak-stuffed-peppers-pinterest-1.jpg