THE BROWNS BOARD

• Favorite GAMEDAY food ? ..... Dine in, carryout, *delivery or make at home.

mjp28

well, we were always the huge turkey dinner. stuffed turkey real bread dressing, another dish of dressing in a cake baking dish...and whole cranberry sauce, real mashed potatoes,... creamed turkey over our own home baked bread...

and we always made our own pumpkin pies.

New Years - after we get turkeyed out...it was usually chicken and dumplings. God knows how many times over all these years I've tried to make those same dumplings. they were gently chewy, seriously flavored with cream of chicken soup and chicken broth...

but I can never get the texture quite right. It's tough. Usually, they end up bland and mushy, I have to throw em out. Sometimes, they are like big almond-shaped hockey pucks and I have to throw em out.

And the dressing. A couple of loaves of white bread, poultry and a bit of sage spices, mushroom bits, celery... I think with a couple of whisked eggs...not sure.

But that dressing was the most wonderful dressing.  I make it and it turns out dry, or doesn't taste quite right.

But sometimes on New Years , it was sauerkraut and pork roast. Or, bbq ribs.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Growing up ours was much like calfox. Lately ours will be a whole turkey roasted in the oven with stuffing. I always do a couple turkey breasts and sometimes a whole turkey in the smoker. We will have real mashed potatoes for the guests who eat them , green beans with bacon and onion, a broccolli cauliflower salad, rolls, cole slaw. Sometimes my wife makes a sweet potato casserole but lately as we have been doing keto she does not. 

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Ibleedbrown said:

This seems like a fun place to ask this as l bet we’ll get some cool answers. I call it the Thanksgiving Day question.

In various conversations with people about what they do and what they eat for Thanksgiving, l have discerned that plenty of families do the turkey/stuffing/cranberry whatever thing for Thanksgiving, but l have ALSO learned that a number of families also serve a dish that is not amongst the traditional fare, but is specific to their family and and their traditions, and quite frankly Thanksgiving wouldn’t be the same without it. 

The question is does your family have such a dish, and if so, what is it and what’s the story behind it?

In my family, my mom always makes carrots and parsnips. A pretty simple recipe where both are boiled together with butter snd brown sugar, and both vegetables take on the flavor of each other. 

I honestly don’t know where she got the idea to do it, maybe a West Virginia thing? But she’s always done it, l always love it, and Thanksgiving wouldn’t be the same without it. 

What about your family?

I don't care for turkey, a small slice buried under cranberry sauce is plenty. As soon as I got out on my own- screw that turkey menu. If the rest of the world was like me, America would be overrun by those birds. For years, it's been a steak on the Weber. Baked potato, and broccoli or green beans for the veggies. I have some killer dessert recipes... 

For me, Thanksgiving is a day to pull out what I like to call "church" wines- the very best stuff in the cellar reserved for special occasions. Really great wines almost always are overwhelmed by a traditional Thanksgiving dinner. So do you want the food to be the star, or the wine? As I've gotten older, the less inclined I am to spend all day in the kitchen whipping up soup to nuts gourmet creations that I know how to make. 

• Upvote 1

Our Thanksgiving holiday eating menu for 2019.  Being that I just came home from the hospital/rehab this afternoon at about 3 pm we started our holiday now.  For the first time in the 34 years that we've been in our house we will be not having any guests here for Thanksgiving just a long needed break for just the two of us.  Everyone else is all over this year plus we both lost our mothers in 2019 so no huge spread with all the trimmings.

Tonight on my first meal back I wanted my wife's grilled cheese sandwich on Sara Lee Artisan white bread and the deluxe American cheese done golden brown with kosher dill pickles and a diet Coke.....perfect !

Tomorrow we debated between a turkey casserole and turkey dinner and settled on a turkey breast and turkey thighs cooked in the oven and all of the potatoes, stuffing, gravy etc.  Enough for plenty of GAMEDAY snacks and sandwiches.  I got some Jewish rye bread and select good cheeses for the occasion of 5 days of football !  A Wedgewood Pizza will follow the turkey also a tradition in our home.

So try to kick back and say thanks for something, I know what I'm thankful for including you die hard BROWNS fans so HAPPY THANKSGIVING everyone !  :)

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, mjp28 said:

Our Thanksgiving holiday eating menu for 2019.  Being that I just came home from the hospital/rehab this afternoon at about 3 pm we started our holiday now.  For the first time in the 34 years that we've been in our house we will be not having any guests here for Thanksgiving just a long needed break for just the two of us.  Everyone else is all over this year plus we both lost our mothers in 2019 so no huge spread with all the trimmings.

Tonight on my first meal back I wanted my wife's grilled cheese sandwich on Sara Lee Artisan white bread and the deluxe American cheese done golden tomorrow as I have for the last 22 or 23 yearsbrown with kosher dill pickles and a diet Coke.....perfect !

Tomorrow we debated between a turkey casserole and turkey dinner and settled on a turkey breast and turkey thighs cooked in the oven and all of the potatoes, stuffing, gravy etc.  Enough for plenty of GAMEDAY snacks and sandwiches.  I got some Jewish rye bread and select good cheeses for the occasion of 5 days of football !  A Wedgewood Pizza will follow the turkey also a tradition in our home.

So try to kick back and say thanks for something, I know what I'm thankful for including you die hard BROWNS fans so HAPPY THANKSGIVING everyone ! 

I'll be fryin' turkey tomorrow as I have for the last 22 or 23 years & making peanut butter fudge.

Funny that you mentioned grilled cheese. A few games ago, I decided to start our tailgates with an early morning favorite I remembered from "Dutch Pantry" at the Niles' exit.....grilled sausage patty on an english muffin topped with provolone cheese & dill pickle slices....Nathans Dills are really good on this & it's the pickles that really make these sandwiches great!

Mike

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, mjp28 said:

Tonight on my first meal back I wanted my wife's grilled cheese sandwich on Sara Lee Artisan white bread and the deluxe American cheese done golden brown with kosher dill pickles and a diet Coke.....perfect !

So try to kick back and say thanks for something, I know what I'm thankful for including you die hard BROWNS fans so HAPPY THANKSGIVING everyone !  :)

Glad your finally able to be home!! Enjoy it and Happy Thanksgiving. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

15 hours ago, jcam222 said:

Glad your finally able to be home!! Enjoy it and Happy Thanksgiving. 

Watching football and smelling good cooking my favorite holiday since I was very young and mom and grandma preparing a feast.

Happy Thanksgiving weekend.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

17 hours ago, mjp28 said:

dallas and new orleans in a parley I didnt touch the detroit game

Happy Thanksgiving

• Upvote 1

Under GAMEDAY snacks last week I posted " on my first meal back I wanted my wife's grilled cheese sandwich on Sara Lee Artisan white bread and the deluxe American cheese done golden brown with kosher dill pickles and a diet Coke.....perfect !

>>> I asked my wife exactly how she did it first it was Sara Lee Artesano bread a thicker white bread 100 Cal. per slice not diet bread at 70 cal. plus three slices of deluxe American cheese not the whimpy skinny yellow stuff..... unless you are on a diet and that's fine.

Next she start melting the cheese on the bread on the skillet open face style because the bread is so thick until the cheese starts to melt then puts them together until golden brown....done!

Add kosher dill or your favorite pickle and eat.  So any GAMEDAY meals or snacks planned for WISC/OSU or CIN/CLE. this weekend ?

Sara Lee®

Artesano Bakery Bread

Introducing the newest addition to the Sara Lee® Bread family, Artesano, an Artisan style bread. Sliced thick with a mouthwateringly soft texture, Artesano transforms the routine into remarkable. With its rich flavor and distinctly creamy character, the flavors you love just taste better. Artesano is made without high fructose corn syrup, added flavors or colors.

HORIZONTAL_FINAL_COMPOSED-1.jpg

39 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

I made grilled cheese with soup this week, and put breaded jalapenos in the grilled cheese. (You can get a bag of deep fried breaded jalapenos from your local supermarket) Really tasty. 

I'm good with adding peppers either jalapenos or Hungarian banana peppers -or- especially in season a nice big slice of cold tomato and a little salt on the bubbly hot cheese and enjoy.

Can't beat a grilled cheese sandwich.

......edit add, oh we had our Wedgewood Pizza today my first in a long while. House special green peppers, pepperoni, cheese plus added mushrooms, ummmm.  Plus the wife got her jumbo bag of Shearer's cheese corn puffs.

• Upvote 1

On 12/7/2019 at 3:11 PM, TexasAg1969 said:

Pulled pork tenderloin in a crock pot all day in apple bourbon sauce.😋

So how was it?

We planned on breaded pork chops in the oven.....then maybe beef stew....ended up with a once in six months supper KFC extra crispy all dark meat with extra grease (burp) and cole slaw. Won't have that again until summertime.  But it was a GAMEDAY meal.

35 minutes ago, mjp28 said:

So how was it?

We planned on breaded pork chops in the oven.....then maybe beef stew....ended up with a once in six months supper KFC extra crispy all dark meat with extra grease (burp) and cole slaw. Won't have that again until summertime.  But it was a GAMEDAY meal.

Delayed one day. My son and grandson wanted to make us sauteed scallops with apple/lettuce salad with lemon/olive oil dressing. Very very good.

This afternoon I watched maybe the best college football game in America ARMY/NAVY, I never miss it!

Also had some Orville Reddenbaker movie theater butter popcorn, ummmm football and popcorn.  And NAVY 31 ARMY 7.  :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

And tonight the wife made some homemade Beef Stew from scratch, even made her own beef stock, just had a sample, oh yeah !!  She made it in her new light weight glass top Dutch Oven so much easier than the old heavy ones.

That's for our GAMEDAY meal before the BROWNS game.....and maybe after.

2 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

😲

Sorry Dutch it's progress so get used to it. No more lifting weights to get ready to cook.

Actually the new light weight Dutch Ovens with the glass top to see how things are going is a really nice you almost can't believe they can cook as well as the old boat anchors that grandma used in fact my grandma was a little tough old gal and used almost all cast iron stuff.

It's 2019 almost 2020 Dutch you don't want us to start calling you gip now do you?  :lol:

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, mjp28 said:

Sorry Dutch it's progress so get used to it. No more lifting weights to get ready to cook.

Actually the new light weight Dutch Ovens with the glass top to see how things are going is a really nice you almost can't believe they can cook as well as the old boat anchors that grandma used in fact my grandma was a little tough old gal and used almost all cast iron stuff.

It's 2019 almost 2020 Dutch you don't want us to start calling you gip now do you?  :lol:

Leave me the fuck out of your food obsessive BS.

• Haha 1

Just in time for the holidays or anyday......

MASHED POTATOES AU GRATEN 

Level: Easy    Total: 1 hr 5 min   Active: 20 min   Yield: 8 to 10 serving

Ingredients

5 to 6 medium russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1 1/2-inch chunks <---- russets work best
3 cups chicken broth <---- the secret ingredient !
Nonstick cooking spray, for the baking dish
4 tablespoons unsalted butter 
2 shallots, minced 
1 clove garlic, minced 
1 cup half-and-half 
1 teaspoon kosher salt 
2 cups grated Gruyere <----- a must for great au graten !
1 cup grated Parmesan

Directions

Put the potatoes in a pot and cover with the chicken broth. Bring to a low boil over medium-high heat. Reduce the heat to low, partially cover and simmer until the potatoes are fork-tender, 15 to 20 minutes.

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Coat a baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.

While the potatoes are cooking, heat the butter in a skillet over medium heat. Add the shallots and cook until translucent and tender, 7 to 8 minutes. Stir in the garlic and cook an additional minute.

Transfer the potatoes and chicken broth to a large mixing bowl. Add the butter mixture and half-and-half. Use a handheld electric mixer or a potato masher to mash the potatoes until smooth and creamy. Stir in the salt, 1 cup of the Gruyere and 1/2 cup Parmesan.

Transfer the mixture to the prepared baking dish and top with the remaining 1 cup Gruyere and 1/2 cup Parmesan. (The dish can be prepared to this point, covered and refrigerated until ready to bake.)

Bake until the cheese is golden and bubbly, about 30 minutes.

1511829531559.jpeg

• Upvote 1

We were debating on what to have for Christmas dinner were having ham of course but what with it?   I was hungry for scalloped potatoes -but- my wife makes great masked or au graten or scalloped or any casserole......and then I saw this on TV, The Kitchen on food Network and I copied their specific recipe.

Some of your favorite dishes can come from other recipes and tweaking them up.....this one won't need any tweaking.  :)

Since there are only two Cleveland BROWNS games left this season and at least one and hopefully two Ohio State Buckeyes games left we are thinking about what special GAMEDAY meals to plan.

Also for Christmas it looks like ham, creamy spinach, probably the above mashed potatoes au graten, sweet potatoes and some other fixens.

So we hope you all have a MERRY CHRISTMAS and a HAPPY NEW YEAR and a delicious bon appetit !  

84_355_thumb.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 12/20/2019 at 10:35 AM, mjp28 said:

Since there are only two Cleveland BROWNS games left this season and at least one and hopefully two Ohio State Buckeyes games left we are thinking about what special GAMEDAY meals to plan.

Also for Christmas it looks like ham, creamy spinach, probably the above mashed potatoes au graten, sweet potatoes and some other fixens.

So we hope you all have a MERRY CHRISTMAS and a HAPPY NEW YEAR and a delicious bon appetit !  

Oh and for the BROWNS 1 pm game today the wife stocked up on breads, cheeses and the like for the Christmas week so for lunch.:

Ham, a thin slice of hard salami and provolone with lettuce, mustard, mayo on American rye, cut in half naturally. Dill pickles, olives and chips on the side.

Tonight it will be stuffed pepper soup.....that should be good.  And GO BROWNS !

• Upvote 1

Our GAMEDAY meal for the BROWNS at Cincinnati game leftovers !

Yes we're having ham sandwiches, leftover potatoes and creamy spinach..... which were very good.....and various cheeses and olives.

Oh and our Christmas dinner was fantastic, more later.

GO BROWNS !

Our afternoon/evening college football GAMEDAY meals and snacks are:

Lunch chicken quesadillas, very good.

Supper and new year's eve snacks my wife's homemade sauerkraut with onions and seasonings with hotdogs around 8 pm with chips, olives and stuff.  For new year's day with more football we're having a pork roast with the sauerkraut and oven roasted vegetables.

Have a happy, healthy and prosperous 2020 !

(and I know that I've put on weight since I've been home for Thanksgiving day :))

found out how to make little smokie sausages with grape jelly and bbq sauce - crockpot.

They were excellent. Friends got us a 2 qt Cooks Essentials pressure cooker...

can't wait to pressure cook a batch of ribs with apple juice, maybe I'll add apple sauce mixed.

need recipes - friends say the pressure cookie is the best - instead of ribs all day - 2-3 hrs.

Starting the NEW YEAR off right.

16 hours ago, ATOM said:

a ham bone for a awesome lentle soup

We're going to make ham and bean soup this weekend, we always get a bone-in ham much more flavorful and great soup. Also planned on pork roast today.

Everything got pushed back a few days, neighbor brought over pulled pork, keilbassi with sauerkraut and really good perogies last night.......ummmmm.

Ton 'o new year's food for BIG TEN GAMEDAY today and a few more GAMEDAYS.  :D

• Like 1

Oh and one of my traditional new year's day favorites hotdogs with my wife's homemade sauerkraut with onions and homegrown herbs with yellow mustard and Tabasco sauce....have had it for decades! 

I'm getting fat just thinking about it.  Hotdogs, chips with Frank's red hot sauce, pretzels with spinach dip and olives ALL was planned for today. 

I know I'm starting with the keilbassi and kraut..... Nice having real home cookin'.  :)

........ Michigan vs Alabama coming on now.

2 qt pressure cooker on - 5/8ths rack of ribs, 1 cup of shaken but not stirred root beer.

should be awesome. 40 minutes cooking time !

Time to start cooking up stuff from the freezer and making room.

• Upvote 1

The BROWNS season may be over on the field for now but there's always some GAMEDAY events going on up to and through the Super Bowl, March Madness and the NFL Draft.

I did run across this article from Cleveland Scene whether places to eat around Cleveland or just inspiration for make at home sandwiches.  Ummm.

10 Cleveland Sandwiches We Love. https://www.clevescene.com/cleveland/10-cleveland-sandwiches-we-love-like-really-love/Content?oid=31876249&amp;utm_source=widget&amp;utm_medium=articleblog&amp;utm_campaign=rightrail&amp;utm_conte

While tacos get all the attention, it's sandwiches that fuel the world. Here in Cleveland, we have an embarrassment of riches when it comes to classics, originals and over-the-top creations. Anything goes in the world of sammies as long as the results are delicious. We think these 10 are worth a try....... Continued in the link......

herb_twine-004.jpg

7 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

Those sandwiches look great... mmmmm...

Giordano's from Chicago have opened up a shop near Belden Village in the Canton area. Been there twice, haven't bothered getting their deep dish pizza, instead went with their Italian beef sandwiches. So damn good. 

The original Giordano's on Rush St in Chicago was one of my favorites in the early 1980s in a great city for food.  My they have expanded !

Best deep dish pizza I've ever had.....steak knife and fork included. :D

• Upvote 1