THE BROWNS BOARD

• Favorite GAMEDAY food ? ..... Dine in, carryout, *delivery or make at home.

mjp28

25 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

A lot of times the local meat shops will be cheaper than chains like Giant Eagle too. A few years ago I wanted to get strip steaks for a family cook out and went down to the local meat shop in town - Canal Provisions - and told them I wanted like 10 strips steaks. They told me if I took all the strips from a cow they would give me a good price, ended up getting 13 or 14 strip steaks for under $100, and people raved about how tender they were. 

When we lived in Greeley, Colo. which smells like all the stockyards around it, we used to go about a block to a local butcher who sold excellent hindquarters that he himself had selected. It gave good steaks, roast, hamburger, etc. that we put in the freezer and lasted for months. Finest meat we ever had for cooking out on the back porch. We have a good grocer nearby where I will occasional open the checkbook for a fine Prime ribeye or Porterhouse. Has to be a really special occasion though.

1 minute ago, mjp28 said:

Again tenderizing, seasonings, salt, pepper plus there's always chicken.  ;)

Or a 24 lb. Honeysuckle White turkey like my wife picked up yesterday @ 78 cents a lb. When you have an army to feed for Xmas or T-day, nothin' better.🦃

• Upvote 1

And on the what's on the grill or better yet what's in the oven category:

THURSDAY NOVEMBER 21, 2019,. I'm getting everything ready here to blow out of this culinary wasteland real soon scheduled for Wednesday November 27 one day before Thanksgiving Day.

WORST food I've ever had anywhere and I have been in 5 different hospitals and now this is 6 different rehab places.

Details to follow -but- in my mind I am already gone.....baby!   :lol:.  (see the barber shop thread)

........but my wife brings me supper every night now, tonight turkey pot pie on our 38th anniversary.   :)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, mjp28 said:

........but my wife brings me supper every night now, tonight turkey pot pie on our 38th anniversary.   :)

Congratulations. My wife and I along with 18 close relatives are celebrating our 50th during Thanksgiving week in Disneyworld/Universal. The actual anniversary is in Feb. 2020, but this was the only time we could get so many together all at one time.👩‍❤️‍💋‍👨

• Like 1

23 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

You either have a discriminating taste for fine wine or you don't. I do but my wife is just as happy with a sweet Moscato from Italy. She can't tell the difference between a Bordeaux, a Zinfandel or a Cabernet. That being said it is not necessary to spend $200 on one bottle when I can find 5 perfectly good Napa Cabernets for the same $200.

Yeah exactly. My good friend (he's a retired neurologist) & his wife certainly have the money to buy what I consider "upscale" wines- those costing $20 or more a bottle. But they're very happy to drink that 3 liter wine in a box stuff.  Of course Don will very happily swill anything I happen to bring up to Cleveland. 

The logarithmic law of diminishing returns kicks in the more expensive a wine gets.  So to those who can't usually tell the difference, why pay more?  FWIW, I've been fortunate enough in my lifetime to have been able to partake of wines (almost always on someone else's nickel) that had a retail or auction value of four figures- and trust me, they aren't 10X better than bottles that could be had in the $100 range- or even less. In that rarefied atmosphere, you're drinking rarity or prestige. You can only make a wine so perfect (and then usually have to age it for a couple decades). As I used to tell my Wine Class- after all, it's just fermented grape juice.  :)  

12 hours ago, mjp28 said:

For me start with a good 1. Ribeye 2. Porterhouse 3. Strip or Delmonico. But any really good cut with good marbling and passes the "eye" test.....and on sale helps.

Our local Giant Eagle has a good meat department but we have bought from meat stores but there are fewer ones around now. A good butcher is quite helpful.

My grandmother worked at Sparkle Market many years back for 10 years and taught me what to look for in meat.   And remember this:

There are eight beef quality grades. The grades are based on two main criteria: the degree of marbling (intramuscular fat) in the beef, and the maturity (estimated age of the animal at slaughter).

1.  U.S. Prime – Highest in quality and intramuscular fat, limited supply. Currently, about 2.9% of carcasses grade as Prime.[15]

2.  U.S. Choice – High quality, widely available in foodservice industry and retail markets. Choice carcasses are 53.7% of the fed cattle total. The difference between Choice and Prime is largely due to the fat content in the beef. Prime typically has a higher fat content (more and well distributed intramuscular "marbling") than Choice.

3.  U.S. Select (formerly Good) – lowest grade commonly sold at retail, acceptable quality, but is less juicy and tender due to leanness.

grades.jpg

Hah, you forgot the other five, lower than that. Utility, cutter, canner lowest of the low. Doesn't sound very appetizing. Only suitable for overnight in the crock pot, or dog & cat food. 

I will say though on a commercial level, the top grades are sub divided, low, middle, top choice. How do I know this? Heard it from Dave Hulme who runs the Pine Club, Dayton's top steakhouse.  Yeah- you can get picky when you're buying over 1,000 pounds of cow a week. Not only grade, amount and type of ageing (dry or wet), you can speck out how much trim (fat) you want on the edges. 

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, hoorta said:

Ah but I'm not a Sam's Club sort of guy. Just checking- you'd have to shop there a lot (make that almost exclusively) to make up for the $45 annual fee. Kroger's gives thier cardholders discounts, plus loyalty coupons For even more. Big family, and buying in bulk- sure. I'm really averse to freezing beef- IMHO, it's just not the same...  

We have a darn good boutique grocery here- and even they don't get prime beef in on a daily basis... 

Oh I am a Kroger shopper for sure. I’m there every Saturday. Hell our one local Kroger even carries Ohio raised Berkshire pork.  I honestly don’t know if we get our monies worth a Sam’s but I’d do buy a lot of foil pans  and take out type containers of all sizes there. Bulk nuts too. 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, jcam222 said:

Oh I am a Kroger shopper for sure. I’m there every Saturday. Hell our one local Kroger even carries Ohio raised Berkshire pork.  I honestly don’t know if we get our monies worth a Sam’s but I’d do buy a lot of foil pans  and take out type containers of all sizes there. Bulk nuts too. 

OH YES, it depends largely on the store manager and the head butcher in the stores what they buy, cut and serve to the public.  Places that package junk or have ridiculously low prices I would be wary of.  Stick with the stores or butcher shops that you like.

Hah, you forgot the other five, lower than that. Utility, cutter, canner lowest of the low. Doesn't sound very appetizing. Only suitable for overnight in the crock pot, or dog & cat food.

No Larry I just "steer" clear of those unless maybe you are grinding up something good for supper.  :o

Oh and what's everyone planning for the MIA at CLE GAMEDAY MEAL this weekend?   Also Penn State at OHIO STATE among others.

3 hours ago, mjp28 said:

OH YES, it depends largely on the store manager and the head butcher in the stores what they buy, cut and serve to the public.  Places that package junk or have ridiculously low prices I would be wary of.  Stick with the stores or butcher shops that you like.

No Larry I just "steer" clear of those unless maybe you are grinding up something good for supper.  :o

:) I  had a bad experience recently  with  some  cubed steak I bought  at a Kroger's.  Even after they had run it through the  tenderizer,  about  1/2 of it was inedible,  unless you  happened to be a  dog. Beyond  chewy. 

I've  noticed Kroger's and grocery stores  in general stock  the meat  department based on the relative affluence (or not) of the neighborhood.  My po' folks  Kroger's stocks  that ultra high sodium  country ham that  you  don't  see out in the 'burbs. 

OTOH the Morton's steakhouse beef that's available at Pat O'Bryans nigh on  to Gates Mills would  never  sell almost  anywhere else.  

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, hoorta said:

:) I  had a bad experience recently  with  some  cubed steak I bought  at a Kroger's.  Even after they had run it through the  tenderizer,  about  1/2 of it was inedible,  unless you  happened to be a  dog. Beyond  chewy. 

I've  noticed Kroger's and grocery stores  in general stock  the meat  department based on the relative affluence (or not) of the neighborhood.  My po' folks  Kroger's stocks  that ultra high sodium  country ham that  you  don't  see out in the 'burbs. 

OTOH the Morton's steakhouse beef that's available at Pat O'Bryans nigh on  to Gates Mills would  never  sell almost  anywhere else.  

Absolutely. I shop for most my items at the closest Kroger. For fine cheese and meats I drive another 15 minutes to the Kroger in the nice nearby prime city

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, hoorta said:

Get your beef where the farmers do. There must be a local slaughterhouse/processor near you. Most have freezer meat there and it will be good quality. Cattle farmers have the best steaks for a reason.   I wouldn’t even buy hotdogs at a chain grocery store let alone steaks. 

2 hours ago, flyingfooldoug said:

Get your beef where the farmers do. There must be a local slaughterhouse/processor near you. Most have freezer meat there and it will be good quality. Cattle farmers have the best steaks for a reason.   I wouldn’t even buy hotdogs at a chain grocery store let alone steaks. 

My grandparents raised their own on 70 acres with about two separated 15 acre fields of that planted in Coastal Bermuda. They would get 3 cuttings a year baled & barned for winter use and let the cattle graze after every cutting in each field. They'd put what they judged to be their two best yearlings butchered and in the chest freezer for beef all year long. No one could match a granny cooked roast in an covered iron skillet that would simmer all day. A spoon would suffice for eating your piece of the most tender roast you ever ate. And that iron skillet gravy it produced was not doctored in any way other than the salt & pepper she rubbed into the roast with a little cooking oil before putting it in the skillet.

8 hours ago, hoorta said:

I hope you're right....  This is Penn State's Super Bowl...  National audience.... Bucks beat them the path to the Championship is clear. Win out.....

I just checked the morning line OSU -19.5 now O/U is 58.  Everyone must think the BUCKEYES are on a mission from God or something.

Sounds like a good GAMEDAY at noon today......and I'm having a tuna salad sandwich on white bread.  Hmmmm hospital grub!

well, I have a new venison steak given to me by a hunting friend....I've watched all sorts of videos about cooking up venison.

Buttermilk, eggs salt pepper....

or worsheshire sp? sauce.....

bacon wrapped.

I'm thinkin simpler is better - maybe just salt/pepper/onions/ etc cooked up into a sauce, then rub the Kentucky seasoning into the  venison and fry it tomorrow on high. So confusing.

1 minute ago, calfoxwc said:

well, I have a new venison steak given to me by a hunting friend....I've watched all sorts of videos about cooking up venison.

bacon wrapped.

I'm thinkin simpler is better - maybe just salt/pepper/onions/ etc cooked up into a sauce, then rub the Kentucky seasoning into the  venison and fry it tomorrow on high. So confusing.

I like doing them like Swiss steak. Little flour salt and pepper pounded down with a meat mallet. 

Sweet! It's M00R.gif    Dolphin Week!!WPoP.gif   

Just tossed a bag of frozen Mahi-mahi slabs on the counter to grill about 11'ish... Except for the one that got Away!       KXa.gif                  

• Haha 2

37 minutes ago, jcam222 said:

I like doing them like Swiss steak. Little flour salt and pepper pounded down with a meat mallet. 

LOL. I thought of swiss steak !!! Here is what I did. I took our baking dish, bout a two quart? and lined the bottom with

a pound of bacon, uncooked. Then I put in several potatoes, peeled, and cut up into chunks. Then... I added some green onion, sprinkled it all over that, then I coated the steaks with our very favorite - Kentucky Kernel Seasoned Flour. Added some more potatoes, and added a can of mushroom soup over all that.

So, I invented a new recipe.  It's a swiss steak/venison roast - with a Duck Dynasty bacon part, ... I'll bake it for ..well...I don't know. 2 hours at 350 degrees, then I'll check it.

Yep. That is what I'm doing. It will be OUTSTANDING.

• Upvote 2

44 minutes ago, calfoxwc said:

LOL. I thought of swiss steak !!! Here is what I did. I took our baking dish, bout a two quart? and lined the bottom with

a pound of bacon, uncooked. Then I put in several potatoes, peeled, and cut up into chunks. Then... I added some green onion, sprinkled it all over that, then I coated the steaks with our very favorite - Kentucky Kernel Seasoned Flour. Added some more potatoes, and added a can of mushroom soup over all that.

So, I invented a new recipe.  It's a swiss steak/venison roast - with a Duck Dynasty bacon part, ... I'll bake it for ..well...I don't know. 2 hours at 350 degrees, then I'll check it.

Some of my best results have been winging it! I’m betting your new recipe will be awesome. 

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

I just saw this too, they are talking about it on ESPN... Man, I'd put a lot of money on Penn State covering that. That is an insane point spread considering how close OSU/PSU games almost always are, and if it weren't for Penn State losing to Minnesota, they'd probably be in the Top Four today. 

Hey Dutch nice call..... :lol:

Could have bought a few NJ pizzas with that.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

Too bad you don't drink- I would have added a fifth of bourbon to the mix.  Venison can be really chewy if it's not done right....  

10 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

bacon wrapped.

Best way I have ever helped to tenderize it is a half buttermilk half red wine with 24 hour marinade in the fridge. The alcohol dissipates from the concoction and does not become a part of the final product. From there cook it the best way you know how. Slow cooking over a long period of time in a crock pot with whatever you want to throw in the mix might work though i never tried it. But I have done other tough roasts that way and they fall apart with a fork after several hours on "low" setting. You can always try part that way and the other part on a grill after marinading it as above. I'd like to know how it turns out whatever way you end up using.

PS-if you marinade make sure you put it in a container or ziplock that you can flip over every now and then to be sure both side get a good soaking.

PS again-read your final product way later in the thread. Tell us how it worked out.

22 hours ago, jcam222 said:

Some of my best results have been winging it! I’m betting your new recipe will be awesome. 

20 hours ago, hoorta said:

Too bad you don't drink- I would have added a fifth of bourbon to the mix.  Venison can be really chewy if it's not done right....  

14 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

PS again-read your final product way later in the thread. Tell us how it worked out.

SO... I didn't want to take the time to marinade. I did that once with pork cutlets - apple cider, brown sugar...water...something like that. They were outstanding on the grill. But venison... ?

I cooked the venison like I described... 350 degrees, for an hour, then turned it up to 375. But my Wife, who knows about most things, looked at me, shaking her head, and told me to turn it DOWN to 250 for an hour, or it could end up dried up and tough.

So, I did that instead, and it turned out awesome. She doesn't like venison - a bit too much stronger than beef, but she said it was still good. The venison was as tender as any swiss steal, one of our favorite dishes, and was awesome, imho.  The potatoes were excellent, too. You could actually pick it apart with a plastic fork ! A friend of ours, after we went to a gun show - tried some and said it just melted in his mouth. He said he wants to start deer hunting.

The one thing is, on the bottom, I would not do whole strips of bacon - I'd cut all the fat off - as the fatty part tended to get stringy and mushy, even though the rest of the bacon...actual meat part... was really well done. I'd also add more potatoes and add carrots, which I didn't have at the time.

I'll try different marinades and recipes with beef. Like marinated beef shishkabobs.

I plan on squirrel hunting tomorrow - really want to try squirrel and dumplings. We've just been so busy...and still want to buy a half a beef that has been fed on grass - organically.

• Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, calfoxwc said:

I plan on squirrel hunting tomorrow - really want to try squirrel and dumplings. We've just been so busy...and still want to buy a half a beef that has been fed on grass - organically.

In celebrating the win tonight I had a hamburger made from home grown never frozen beef raised on a ranch owned by the father of my son's brother-in-law. Best lean & tasty burger I've had in years on a large homemade bun.

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

In celebrating the win tonight I had a hamburger made from home grown never frozen beef raised on a ranch owned by the father of my son's brother-in-law. Best lean & tasty burger I've had in years on a large homemade bun.

Oh, and I had a glass of our now traditional Victory Port. Warre 10 year tawny....

• Upvote 1

Well this is it folks maybe the best weekend of football and food in the year, the Thanksgiving Day and weekend.

It's rivalry week in college football with The Game Ohio State at Michigan -and- Cleveland at Pittsburgh, you can't beat that.

So what are your GAMEDAY MEALS planned for this weekend?  Whether it's a big get together or a quiet weekend at home enjoy the Thanksgiving holidays.  ;)

This seems like a fun place to ask this as l bet we’ll get some cool answers. I call it the Thanksgiving Day question.

In various conversations with people about what they do and what they eat for Thanksgiving, l have discerned that plenty of families do the turkey/stuffing/cranberry whatever thing for Thanksgiving, but l have ALSO learned that a number of families also serve a dish that is not amongst the traditional fare, but is specific to their family and and their traditions, and quite frankly Thanksgiving wouldn’t be the same without it. 

The question is does your family have such a dish, and if so, what is it and what’s the story behind it?

In my family, my mom always makes carrots and parsnips. A pretty simple recipe where both are boiled together with butter snd brown sugar, and both vegetables take on the flavor of each other. 

I honestly don’t know where she got the idea to do it, maybe a West Virginia thing? But she’s always done it, l always love it, and Thanksgiving wouldn’t be the same without it. 

What about your family?

• Thanks 1