THE BROWNS BOARD

• Favorite GAMEDAY food ? ..... Dine in, carryout, *delivery or make at home.

mjp28

On 11/6/2019 at 7:55 PM, jcam222 said:

Been making sausage for the freezer the last week or so. I do patties as we prefer them to links. Found a new recipe for German style brats that is the bomb!! So here some plated up. Double decker bratwurst patties with Swiss cheese and a dill kraut on homemade Swiss rye chaffles with a side of a spin on German potato salad made from Daikon radish.     

0B911A19-171E-4012-A18A-09FDE3910E27.jpeg

BE1DF6F7-336E-4937-B71D-4A673DE3A51C.jpeg

Can we share the recipe please?

17 hours ago, Canton Mike said:

Hospital food is AWFUL because it's "institutional food", but back in the 1980's  I worked at Warren General Hospital, a small Osteopathic Hospital & the food was homemade (NOT institutional), and some of the best food I have ever tasted. One little lady made the best rhubarb pie I have ever had. Sadly, Warren General is no more, but my memories from there are cherished.

As far as tonight, too cold for us to tailgate, so my Brother & I will meet at Mission BBQ in Parma (Chopped Brisket marinated in Memphis Belle Sauce is the BOMB!) & take the Transit to the game.

Mike

Oh WGH I remember that place in 1984 I was selling electrical supplies to electrical contractors, industries including every hospital in  3 counties in Ohio and 5 in Pennsylvania.

Some hospitals I've been in have had good food, most were at least ok this one is AWFUL including their frozen omlets for breakfast!

2 hours ago, Kvoethe said:

The bratwurst

Per 5 pounds of meat of your choice. I got to the butcher and have him give me the same pork grind he uses for sausage. Could also grind your own pork maybe a combo of butt and pork fat to get around 80/20. Can be made into patties or stuffed into casings. If doing patties keep hands wet as you patty it up as it’s a bit sticky. I do them up in 1/4 lbs patties and freeze in packs of 4. This is very good bratwurst. If I get a chance later I’ll put up my sage breakfast sausage recipe too. It’s right up there with Bob Evans or better. 

1 Tbsp Sugar (I use Splenda)
3 Tbsp Salt
(if you wish to smoke these, add 1 tsp cure #1)
2 tsp Black Pepper
2 tsp Onion Powder
2 tsp Garlic Powder
2 tsp Ginger
2 tsp Marjoram
1 tsp Caraway seed, ground is better
1 tsp Coriander

These next ingredients set German Brats apart from
other sausage's flavor profile, and texture:

1 tsp Cardamom
2 drops lemon extract (or 2 tsp zest)
1 tsp Nutmeg 
2 eggs
1 cup heavy cream
I just mix by hand in a bowl. I usually split into to 2 1/2 lbs. bowls. Add about half spice to each. Keeping hands wet mix it all up good. Then I put them together, put in eggs and cream and mix it all together. 

54 minutes ago, jcam222 said:

Per 5 pounds of meat of your choice. I got to the butcher and have him give me the same pork grind he uses for sausage. Could also grind your own pork maybe a combo of butt and pork fat to get around 80/20. Can be made into patties or stuffed into casings. If doing patties keep hands wet as you patty it up as it’s a bit sticky. I do them up in 1/4 lbs patties and freeze in packs of 4. This is very good bratwurst. If I get a chance later I’ll put up my sage breakfast sausage recipe too. It’s right up there with Bob Evans or better. 

1 Tbsp Sugar (I use Splenda)
3 Tbsp Salt
(if you wish to smoke these, add 1 tsp cure #1)
2 tsp Black Pepper
2 tsp Onion Powder
2 tsp Garlic Powder
2 tsp Ginger
2 tsp Marjoram
1 tsp Caraway seed, ground is better
1 tsp Coriander

These next ingredients set German Brats apart from
other sausage's flavor profile, and texture:

1 tsp Cardamom
2 drops lemon extract (or 2 tsp zest)
1 tsp Nutmeg 
2 eggs
1 cup heavy cream
I just mix by hand in a bowl. I usually split into to 2 1/2 lbs. bowls. Add about half spice to each. Keeping hands wet mix it all up good. Then I put them together, put in eggs and cream and mix it all together. 

Thanks!!!  Ill be trying this soon!!

I told them today that I want to get out of here the Wednesday before Thanksgiving and am going to lift weights everyday if I have to to get there.

Oh God 12 more days of this crap food.  My wife brings in suppers whenever she can better than this mystery meat stuff.

I found out last week this place is owned by two Jewish brothers from NY State.  I think they're running it into the ground!   It's a good thing that I'm as tough as a freaking cockroach......I was joking with my doctor the other day that if there were a nuclear war the only things left would be the cockroaches and me...... and I'm not too sure about them.  :lol:

• Haha 2

I discovered a tasty but easy game day snack. A variation of nachos with melted cheese.

1 plate of nachos

1 clove of garlic

shredded cheese to taste

Pretty easy recipe. Spread the nachos evenly on a plate. Slice the garlic as thin as possible, like Goodfellas thin if you can manage it. Sprinkle the thin garlic slices evenly on the nachos and then cover with shredded cheese, as much or as little as you like. Microwave in increments of 15-30 seconds until the cheese is melted.

The garlic roasts a little bit in the microwave and compliments the salty/crunchy/cheesy goodness. 

Add salsa, jalapeños, guacamole or whatever else you dig with nachos.

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, Ibleedbrown said:

I discovered a tasty but easy game day snack. A variation of nachos with melted cheese.

1 plate of nachos

1 clove of garlic

shredded cheese to taste

Pretty easy recipe. Spread the nachos evenly on a plate. Slice the garlic as thin as possible, like Goodfellas thin if you can manage it. Sprinkle the thin garlic slices evenly on the nachos and then cover with shredded cheese, as much or as little as you like. Microwave in increments of 15-30 seconds until the cheese is melted.

The garlic roasts a little bit in the microwave and compliments the salty/crunchy/cheesy goodness. 

Add salsa, jalapeños, guacamole or whatever else you dig with nachos.

Try that with a mix of pepperoni and mozzarella cheese for a pizza flavored nacho.

Good quick munchies 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

Just threw ribs in the oven. Marinated them for about 18 hours in apple cider, with onions, garlic and jalepenos, then dried them off and put a nice rub on them for the oven. 

.....do you deliver? Please. :).  

• Upvote 1

So, the Wife and I were watching this cooking show... a place in Tennessee...

and they store their sides of beef in dry storage for about 6 weeks. They get mold on em, but they cut the mold off,

and all the really nice meat is outstanding. A place called "Walnut Kitchen" in Marysville. I'm not thinkin to try that at home...but...

we may travel through Marysville to check it out....

• Upvote 1

OK gameday foodies here's your big chance: 🎅

https://www.omnihotels.com/hotels/asheville-grove-park/things-to-do/upcoming-events/national-gingerbread-competition?utm_source=morning_brew

Oh, too bad. Remember it for next year. Entries were due Nov 8, 2019.😛

On 11/17/2019 at 3:46 PM, calfoxwc said:

So, the Wife and I were watching this cooking show... a place in Tennessee...

and they store their sides of beef in dry storage for about 6 weeks. They get mold on em, but they cut the mold off,

and all the really nice meat is outstanding. A place called "Walnut Kitchen" in Marysville. I'm not thinkin to try that at home...but...

we may travel through Marysville to check it out....

You can dry age beef at home now very safely using umai bags. Really increases the beefy flavor and tenderness. https://www.google.com/aclk?sa=L&ai=DChcSEwjxut2BofXlAhWjHH0KHTIMDv8YABAIGgJwdg&sig=AOD64_0VKbPAAhdB_sy68V4z4SMG_Hl_WA&ctype=5&q=&ved=2ahUKEwiFydaBofXlAhV1JzQIHUkSDkEQwg96BAgKEAc&adurl=

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, jcam222 said:

But regarding aged beef- there is a point of diminishing returns. My friends make an annual trip up to Wisconsin to a butcher who will dry age beef to whatever length of time they specify- assuming they're willing to buy whatever they asked for. MHO is it does get to a point you may as well leave a chunk of steak out on the counter for a day or three and then grill it- if that's what you're into.  :D  

BTW, one day I hope to make it to NYC to take in Peter Luger's- the Mecca of steakdom. Have their own ageing cellar. Though as usual, one NYC Times restaurant critic panned them recently. Par for the course in NY media. I do suppose if you're shelling out $130+ p\p you should expect perfection every time, but in the real world, that's not obtainable. If I wanted to review on that level, I could have easily nit-picked on the Maisonette- the only Mobile 5 Star place in Ohio and one of the 15 or so in the United States before they closed up shop for good.....   

And PS- if you ever want a great steak and bottle of wine.....  never pass up the opportunity to get to Bern's Steakhouse in Tampa. Bern died a few years back, but his son carries on the tradition. Fanatic about the steaks- and for us winos- they also have the biggest wine list in the world- and it's not even debatable. The Wine List looks like a telephone book, with around 150+ wines by the glass for starters.....  

• Upvote 1

Great steaks and wine or your favorite beer or spirits......oh yeah.  Steakhouse or in the backyard great for any GAMEDAY or anyday meal.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, mjp28 said:

Great steaks and wine or your favorite beer or spirits......oh yeah.  Steakhouse or in the backyard great for any GAMEDAY or anyday meal.

Believe me guy- I know what a good uncooked chunk of cow looks like on sight. Down here Dayton way - it's only occasionally I see prime beef- and I can't remember ever seeing prime aged beef. 

And if you'd rather have beer or something else with your steaks- God Bless Ya. But to my mind nothing tops off a great steak with a great bottle of red wine.... 

I'm not averse to firing up the Weber out back regardless of the temperature and tossing a steak on it. And let's just say in case of a nuclear disaster I have enough wine in the basement to last a normal lifetime.  :)  

• Thanks 1

I love a great steak. But it has to go with beer for me

I’ve tried many wines from $5 a bottle to $200 a bottle. It all tastes like crap. IMO

I worked for a company that distributes wine and I tried many of them. Just couldn’t do it. 

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Browns149 said:

I love a great steak. But it has to go with beer for me

I’ve tried many wines from $5 a bottle to $200 a bottle. It all tastes like crap. IMO

I worked for a company that distributes wine and I tried many of them. Just couldn’t do it. 

You either have a discriminating taste for fine wine or you don't. I do but my wife is just as happy with a sweet Moscato from Italy. She can't tell the difference between a Bordeaux, a Zinfandel or a Cabernet. That being said it is not necessary to spend $200 on one bottle when I can find 5 perfectly good Napa Cabernets for the same $200.

• Upvote 1

On 11/19/2019 at 7:50 PM, hoorta said:

Believe me guy- I know what a good uncooked chunk of cow looks like on sight. Down here Dayton way - it's only occasionally I see prime beef- and I can't remember ever seeing prime aged beef. 

And if you'd rather have beer or something else with your steaks- God Bless Ya. But to my mind nothing tops off a great steak with a great bottle of red wine.... 

I'm not averse to firing up the Weber out back regardless of the temperature and tossing a steak on it. And let's just say in case of a nuclear disaster I have enough wine in the basement to last a normal lifetime.  :)  

Our Sams Club usually has a fair selection of prime beef. Usually ribeyes or strip. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, jcam222 said:

Our Sams Club usually has a fair selection of prime beef. Usually ribeyes or strip. 

Ah but I'm not a Sam's Club sort of guy. Just checking- you'd have to shop there a lot (make that almost exclusively) to make up for the $45 annual fee. Kroger's gives thier cardholders discounts, plus loyalty coupons For even more. Big family, and buying in bulk- sure. I'm really averse to freezing beef- IMHO, it's just not the same...  

We have a darn good boutique grocery here- and even they don't get prime beef in on a daily basis... 

• Upvote 2

On 11/20/2019 at 8:43 PM, jcam222 said:

For me start with a good 1. Ribeye 2. Porterhouse 3. Strip or Delmonico. But any really good cut with good marbling and passes the "eye" test.....and on sale helps.

Our local Giant Eagle has a good meat department but we have bought from meat stores but there are fewer ones around now. A good butcher is quite helpful.

My grandmother worked at Sparkle Market meat department many years back for 10 years and taught me what to look for in meat.   And remember this:

There are eight beef quality grades. The grades are based on two main criteria: the degree of marbling (intramuscular fat) in the beef, and the maturity (estimated age of the animal at slaughter).

1.  U.S. Prime – Highest in quality and intramuscular fat, limited supply. Currently, about 2.9% of carcasses grade as Prime.[15]

2.  U.S. Choice – High quality, widely available in foodservice industry and retail markets. Choice carcasses are 53.7% of the fed cattle total. The difference between Choice and Prime is largely due to the fat content in the beef. Prime typically has a higher fat content (more and well distributed intramuscular "marbling") than Choice.

3.  U.S. Select (formerly Good) – lowest grade commonly sold at retail, acceptable quality, but is less juicy and tender due to leanness.

grades.jpg

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, mjp28 said:

3.  U.S. Select (formerly Good) – lowest grade commonly sold at retail, acceptable quality, but is less juicy and tender due to leanness.

Think Select as the secret word for shoeleather. Tough as nails but it makes for a tasty all day chew with the right Cabernet.🕵️‍♂️👞🍷😁

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Think Select as the secret word for shoeleather. Tough as nails but it makes for a tasty all day chew with the right Cabernet.🕵️‍♂️👞🍷😁

If you want "family style" big meals cheap and want to pressure cook, bake or other preparations to save money they can be done.

I remember my mom "tenderizing" or pounding steaks and roasts, putting meat powders or seasonings on them and pressure cooking them and some made really good roasts with the fundamental three ingredients potatoes, onions, carrots.  And also we're were feeding 8 at our table every supper meal.

Now on the grill.....well budget meats can be a challenge.  Again tenderizing, seasonings, salt, pepper plus there's always chicken.  ;)

.......oh God I just remembered about 50 years ago she used Adolph's Meat Tenderizer!  Oh and mom passed away this year at 89. Memories.