THE BROWNS BOARD

• Favorite GAMEDAY food ? ..... Dine in, carryout, *delivery or make at home.

mjp28

2 hours ago, Ibleedbrown said:

https://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/classic-burger

I tried this burger recipe last night with good results. Added some onion powder, garlic powder and Montreal steak seasoning in the mix and made for some great gameday burgers.

Oh yes!   The main difference between just-a-burger and a real good burger is their step #1:

Sink your teeth into a delicious restaurant-style, hamburger recipe made from lean beef. Skip the prepackaged patties and take the extra time to craft up your own, and that little extra effort will be worth it. To make cheeseburgers, about 1 minute before burgers are done, top with sliced cheese; continue cooking until cheese begins to melt.

Almost every time we start with ground beef and go from there including using an egg or two as a necessary binder.  It just screams GAMEDAY or anyday.

.......oh edit add, we sometimes use different combinations of beef and maybe pork and chicken in other various dishes. 

Edited by mjp28

21 minutes ago, jcam222 said:

Of all the foods there are a good burger tops my list. I’ve found that the number one thing to get a perfect burger is using fresh ground 80/20 beef. No pink slime and other crap in it. 

Oh BTW if you click on the link for beef in bleedbrowns post you will get this ( MY NOTE: there are thousands of recipes out there the trick is to find those tested recipes that you like, that's why it's nice to see what other cooks and fans have tried and liked and why.  ;)).  See the stuff you can learn on the GAMEDAY thread.  Football and good eats!

Choose from thousands of beef recipes for all your favorite cuts of beef including roasts, beef ribs, sirloin, tenderloin, ground beef, corned beef, and brisket.

And if you hit the cheese link you will get this. (NOTE: who says they don't know what to cook for dinner?)

We have hundreds of cheese recipes. Whether it's Cheddar cheese, Swiss cheese, Pepper Jack cheese, Brie cheese, or Mozzarella cheese, add cheese to any recipe for instant flavor.

19 minutes ago, jcam222 said:

Of all the foods there are a good burger tops my list. I’ve found that the number one thing to get a perfect burger is using fresh ground 80/20 beef. No pink slime and other crap in it. 

The leaner the meat the harder it is to not overcook it. Frankly the fat in a burger is what gives it that good greasy burger deliciousness, but at the same time has the “eww fat” thing. I’m a Jack Sprat type myself so l like a really lean meat, so l gotta do something with the meat to add moisture back. Minced onion helps. Egg too. Any other suggestions?

22 minutes ago, Ibleedbrown said:

The leaner the meat the harder it is to not overcook it. Frankly the fat in a burger is what gives it that good greasy burger deliciousness, but at the same time has the “eww fat” thing. I’m a Jack Sprat type myself so l like a really lean meat, so l gotta do something with the meat to add moisture back. Minced onion helps. Egg too. Any other suggestions?

When we do lean turkey burgers I mix in shredded zucchini for moisture along with spices. Sounds weird but tastes good. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Ibleedbrown said:

Yeah do what the Army cooks did back in the day------------------------boil it.  LOL!🤣🐮

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Here's a Family favorite from Mr Food...

Pepper Parmesan Burgers

• 1 1/4 pounds ground beef
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 2 teaspoons black pepper
  • 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
  • 1/4 cup dry bread crumbs
  • 1/4 cup water
  • 4 hamburger buns, split

In a large bowl, combine all of the ingredients; mix well. Divide the mixture into 4 equal amounts and make 4 patties.
I only use fresh ground sea salt & fresh ground peppercorns. Also, grating your own Parmesan Reggiano is fantastic!

Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat and pan-fry the patties for 7 to 9 minutes, turning occasionally, or until the juices run clear.

Mike

• Upvote 2

∆  Sometimes a relatively simple and easy recipe just hits the spot. We often use bread crumbs in ground beef preparations.

2 hours ago, mjp28 said:

∆  Sometimes a relatively simple and easy recipe just hits the spot. We often use bread crumbs in ground beef preparations.

The seasoned bread crumbs also work well.

Mike

2 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

So when you start adding eggs and bread crumbs to hamburgers, aren't you just making meatballs that you eat with a bun? 

(I swear to dog that this exact argument nearly caused guys I know to come to blows years ago 🤣)

Essentially yes but on the grill they have a good complex flavor.  Bread crumb recipes many years back used to be done to stretch the meat budget and feed more people for less, some good recipes have come out of those austere times.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Even simpler is using that green lettuce stuff in things like pizza, chicken, burgers etc.

Green lettuce in those recipes or on or with them?   (as a topping or garnish)

4 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

As in money that you use to go buy them with...or have them delivered.  (did you honestly not get that?)

No.  We're taking recipes that you prepare at home and what goes in them and how cooked, etc.

43 minutes ago, mjp28 said:

No.  We're taking recipes that you prepare at home and what goes in them and how cooked, etc.

Homemade buttermilk pie tastes far better than it may sound.

Ingredients

• 3 eggs
  • 2 cups sugar
  • 1/2 cup (one stick) melted butter a little bit cooled
  • 3 tablespoons flour
  • 1 cup buttermilk
  • 1 tablespoon lemon juice (optional)
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg (sprinkled over the pie batter in the pie shell)
  • pinch of salt
  • 1 9-inch pie crust, unbaked (see option below-I prefer it)

Instructions

• In a large bowl, whisk together eggs and sugar.
  • Whisk in remaining ingredients (excluding nutmeg) until smooth.
  • Pour into prepared pie crust. (optional to bake that @ 350 for 10 min. Helps set the bottom crust)
  • Bake at 400 for 10 minutes.
  • Reduce heat to 350 degrees and continue bake for 45-50 minutes.
  • After 30 minutes total I would shape a layer of tin foil around & covering the edge of the pie crust to prevent too much overbrowning. Keep the pie "innards" open to the oven or it will end up too runny inside. Use a toothpick to see if the middle has "set" when done. Use judgement on that so the outer batter isn't over-cooked. Use the old fashioned southern method and finger it. LOL!😍
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Well, then. Which dwarf does that make you?

Well it can't be Grumpy. That name was taken by another "G" person whose identity is protected under federal law as ruled by the "G" judge himself.😁😜🤣

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

So when you start adding eggs and bread crumbs to hamburgers, aren't you just making meatballs that you eat with a bun? 

(I swear to dog that this exact argument nearly caused guys I know to come to blows years ago 🤣)

Who gives a damn? If it tastes good, EAT it!  😋  Why aren't "meatballs" 100% meat??  🤣

Titles....people are too damned in love with "titles".

I think, in the future, I may just call all my recipes "tastes good" & let somebody else guess what the hell it is.  

Mike

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Canton Mike said:

Who gives a damn? If it tastes good, EAT it!  😋  Why aren't "meatballs" 100% meat??  🤣

Mike

100% all meat meatballs are not really that good or flavorful...... IMHO.   My wife has some terrific meatball mix recipes which I like -and- I sometimes prefer a good meat sauce with my pasta to separate meatballs and sauce.  Also real good flavored meatballs with melted cheese can make a good hot or leftover cold sandwich.  Ummmmmmm.

Oh BTW is anyone planning a GAMEDAY meal or tailgating party for the upcoming BROWNS at New England game?

4 hours ago, mjp28 said:

Oh BTW is anyone planning a GAMEDAY meal or tailgating party for the upcoming BROWNS at New England game?

Well in keeping with what will happen I would suggest something you grill or something you BBQ. Or maybe seared tuna.😁

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Well in keeping with what will happen I would suggest something you grill or something you BBQ. Or maybe seared tuna.😁

Have any of you ever tried swordfish steaks? There are other kinds of good deep water saltwater fish out there.......one reason that I might like to live near an ocean.

But our Lake Erie and local lakes fish is very tasty also.

........oh I hope that this forum isn't better than the game Sunday.     :unsure:

1 hour ago, mjp28 said:

Have any of you ever tried swordfish steaks? There are other kinds of good deep water saltwater fish out there.......one reason that I might like to live near an ocean.

But our Lake Erie and local lakes fish is very tasty also.

........oh I hope that this forum isn't better than the game Sunday.     :unsure:

Swordfish steaks are great. I also love Cajun style blackened redfish or either grilled or baked-in-butter fresh flounder. 😋🤗

• Thanks 1