THE BROWNS BOARD

• Favorite GAMEDAY food ? ..... Dine in, carryout, *delivery or make at home.

mjp28

1 hour ago, The Gipper said:

My wife thinks tomato sandwiches Are gross. I on the other hand really like them. 

Really?! Nothing like a well made tuna salad in a quartered fresh farm grown tomato. We get ours from a farmers market in Sun City near Georgetown. Best we've had in years from one particular guy's tomato patch. They taste like tomatoes used to taste before the chain grocers ruined 'em with what I call pulp tomatoes.

12 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Really?! Nothing like a well made tuna salad in a quartered fresh farm grown tomato. We get ours from a farmers market in Sun City near Georgetown. Best we've had in years from one particular guy's tomato patch. They taste like tomatoes used to taste before the chain grocers ruined 'em with what I call pulp tomatoes.

How many people here grow their own or buy farm fresh tomatoes? So much better than the "hot house" picked green store bought variations.

I grew up on heirloom home grown tomatoes. We used to even used to use our own seeds.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, mjp28 said:

How many people here grow their own or buy farm fresh tomatoes? So much better than the "hot house" picked green store bought variations.

I grew up on heirloom home grown tomatoes. We used to even used to use our own seeds.

I grow them. We used to grow about a thousand plants, Dad and I, but I can't do it by myself any more, and the profit at the farmer's market wasn't THAT much. With all the rain, I never got the bigger acres planted with sunflowers.

Growing them organically is the way to have outstanding tomatoes. It works for me, and several folks said they would only buy tomatoes from us, at the markets. I like Rutgers, certain Brandywines, Druzba, and Opalka (paste tomato) for canning.

Plain Eating, "Early Girl" hybrid, Rutgers, Aunt Ruby Green, Cherakee Purple.. a few others I can't remember that grow well in our soil.

But for munching on, SunSugar cherry tomatoes. When they are flourescent sp? orange, they are outstanding. I used to offer kids and adults who hate tomatoes a quarter if they tried one and didn't like it. I lost only one quarter, and the kid came back and admitted he did really like them, he just wanted me to give him a quarter. He went to give it back to me, and I told him to keep it as a reward for great acting, but it isn't good to lie.

The reason tomatoes are generally crap at the stores, is that they are usually mass produced by big farms, sprayed with insecticides and chemicals to prevent diseases...and they grow perfect -looking- types that look uniform and have tough skins etc as to not bruise during the packaging/shipping processes. They also pick them green, and store them in coolers, filled with some gas that prevents them from ripening until the producers are ready for them to ripen.

that's old news, maybe they don't do it anymore. Store tomatoes aren't worth throwing into an unplanted field.

Don't put tomatoes in the fridge. and grow a LOT of Sunsugars because they won't last long - everybody else will eat them.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, mjp28 said:

I grow my own. Corn too. Nothing better than BLTs and fresh sweet corn in the summer. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, flyingfooldoug said:

I grow my own. Corn too. Nothing better than BLTs and fresh sweet corn in the summer. 

I grow wild grass in the outback behind my fence. The deer love it, fertilize it and it's so hearty that even though we haven't had rain in a month it's still high and green. Of course I love stuff I never had to plant, never have to fertilize, never have to water and stays green and growing even in the winter. And it attracts deer for viewing off he back porch in the easy rocking chair I never have to get up from to take care of the grass except to mow occasionally when the deer can't keep up with it. LOL!🤣

For fresh veggies I go to that farmer's market where people who know what they're doing sell me good tasting stuff.😋

27 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

I grow wild grass in the outback behind my fence. The deer love it, fertilize it and it's so hearty that even though we haven't had rain in a month it's still high and green. Of course I love stuff I never had to plant, never have to fertilize, never have to water and stays green and growing even in the winter. And it attracts deer for viewing off he back porch in the easy rocking chair I never have to get up from to take care of the grass except to mow occasionally when the deer can't keep up with it. LOL!🤣

For fresh veggies I go to that farmer's market where people who know what they're doing sell me good tasting stuff.😋

People grow a lot of grass around here too. It never gets mowed and only seems to attract helicopters 

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

37 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

You live in Australia?

5 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

I grow them. We used to grow about a thousand plants, Dad and I, but I can't do it by myself any more, and the profit at the farmer's market wasn't THAT much. With all the rain, I never got the bigger acres planted with sunflowers.

Growing them organically is the way to have outstanding tomatoes. It works for me, and several folks said they would only buy tomatoes from us, at the markets. I like Rutgers, certain Brandywines, Druzba, and Opalka (paste tomato) for canning.

Plain Eating, "Early Girl" hybrid, Rutgers, Aunt Ruby Green, Cherakee Purple.. a few others I can't remember that grow well in our soil.

But for munching on, SunSugar cherry tomatoes. When they are flourescent sp? orange, they are outstanding. I used to offer kids and adults who hate tomatoes a quarter if they tried one and didn't like it. I lost only one quarter, and the kid came back and admitted he did really like them, he just wanted me to give him a quarter. He went to give it back to me, and I told him to keep it as a reward for great acting, but it isn't good to lie.

The reason tomatoes are generally crap at the stores, is that they are usually mass produced by big farms, sprayed with insecticides and chemicals to prevent diseases...and they grow perfect -looking- types that look uniform and have tough skins etc as to not bruise during the packaging/shipping processes. They also pick them green, and store them in coolers, filled with some gas that prevents them from ripening until the producers are ready for them to ripen.

that's old news, maybe they don't do it anymore. Store tomatoes aren't worth throwing into an unplanted field.

Don't put tomatoes in the fridge. and grow a LOT of Sunsugars because they won't last long - everybody else will eat them.

Sunsugars are the most delicious and high yield , indestructible cherries I’ve ever grown. LOVE Cherokee Purples, Kellogg’s, potato leaf Brandywines. The German greens are cool. I’ve grown So many varieties but don’t have time to garden last few years. Only ones I’ve grown I really didn’t like are Hillbilly and Hawaiian pineapple. Both too mild for me. 

• Upvote 2

This time of year there are quite a few roadside produce stands set up.  Farm fresh and vine ripened tomatoes and sweet corn. Plus cakes, peppers of all kinds. New potatoes, onions and squash. With a large Amish community around there is always baked goods too. Free range eggs, fresh bread and maple cured bacon makes a pretty fine breakfast too. Eating good from the farms of NE Ohio

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, flyingfooldoug said:

This time of year there are quite a few roadside produce stands set up.  Farm fresh and vine ripened tomatoes and sweet corn. Plus cakes, peppers of all kinds. New potatoes, onions and squash. With a large Amish community around there is always baked goods too. Free range eggs, fresh bread and maple cured bacon makes a pretty fine breakfast too. Eating good from the farms of NE Ohio

Oh yes but unfortunately there are less and less family farms as time goes by.

I guess we'd rather have our fresh produce from Mexico.......fertilized with who knows what.   :unsure:

2 hours ago, mjp28 said:

I guess we'd rather have our fresh produce from Mexico.......fertilized with who knows what.   :unsure:

I can speak from experience that the rice in Vietnam tastes just fine and it gets fertilized by water buffalo and their tenders.

7 hours ago, mjp28 said:

Take a drive through Amish country. Lots of local farms. It’s more of a seasonal thing here. Canned tomatoes taste way better than the grocery store types. I buy American as a routine. I don’t trust south of the border produce. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

I can speak from experience that the rice in Vietnam tastes just fine and it gets fertilized by water buffalo and their tenders.

Tastes fine but what's in it?

6 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

It tasted ok, but I got so sick & tired of it that I'll NEVER eat white rice again!! We literally ate that shit DAILY in '67 & '68.

Mike

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

On 8/28/2019 at 9:10 PM, mjp28 said:

Thursday afternoon's lunch special while watching the INDIANS will be my wife's oven roasted turkey thighs......ummmmm, one of my favorites.  :D

She goes to our local Giant Eagle and gets several big thick meaty turkey thighs and adds her special home grown herbs and other spices and in the oven they go.

It's delicious and fairly economical, recipe upon request if anyone is interested.

........edit add, oh and probably a potato side dish, she chops up potatoes and onions and adds some Italian spices or an Italian salad dressing and puts them in the microwave while the main dish is cooking, also delicious!!

Well we had this for our early supper today and it was delicious, the turkey two pack was plenty enough for two people and was like Thanksgiving in August. On the potato and onions no peeling potatoes just chop them up with the white onions. This time we used Olive oil to line the deep 9x9 dish, mixed our garden herbs and spices and put into the dish. About 15 minutes on high checked, a few more minutes until the potatoes were just tender and done.  Some fresh green beans and ready to eat!

We used some Breakstone sour cream on top of the potatoes and it gives it a good peroghy taste some salt and pepper and we're all set.

For dessert some Rulli Brothers cheesecake mousse pie and it was a meal.   :):)

16 minutes ago, Canton Mike said:

It tasted ok, but I got so sick & tired of it that I'll NEVER eat white rice again!! We literally ate that shit DAILY in '67 & '68.

Mike

I never had rice until I was  17. It wasn’t allowed in our house. Something about my dad and the Chinese in the early 1950s.  

Nothing much special about it anyway. 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, flyingfooldoug said:

I never had rice until I was  17. It wasn’t allowed in our house. Something about my dad and the Chinese in the early 1950s.  

Nothing much special about it anyway. 

I never really liked white rice but will eat brown rice with stuff in it like young chow fried rice or something like that.

12 hours ago, Canton Mike said:

Mike

See there's your problem Mike. I was raised in Beaumont Texas until age 12+ and ricelands are everywhere, especially around Winnie which is between Beaumont and Houston. Rice was the staple of our table in those days. And irony of ironies when I was in one of those little villes in VN, there was a huge USDA bag of rice standing there which had the shaking hands on it from the people of, where else, Beaumont, Texas. I was like WTF are we both doing here from Beaumont? And to this day I wonder what that bag was doing there in a ville surrounded by rice paddies in Binh Thuan province which was nothing but a rice growing region on the coast south of Nha Thrang. Head scratcher.

But my how things change. None of this existed back in the day. 😲

https://www.tripadvisor.com/SmartDeals-g2145211-Binh_Thuan_Province-Hotel-Deals.html

5 hours ago, flyingfooldoug said:

I made some garlic honey glazed shrimp with rice. The shrimp was great. Home fries would be better tho

My wife is the big rice eater but she's a smart eater......she actually prefers it to potatoes at times, NOT me I'm a meat and potatoes guy!

But I eat much smarter now but still love to cook and eat, that's part of the reason for this thread.

Bon appetit!

• Upvote 1

On 7/14/2018 at 7:43 PM, mjp28 said:

Just got our NYT cookbook today, an absolute steal at $4.99 from Amazon Prime delivered to our house. Spotless condition, not a mark on it!

University of Illinois library at Urbana Champaign, only taken out four times, 1993 (2), 1994, 1995. Not even a bent page.

Hardbound library edition, 799 pages it will be a working cookbook. I highly recommend it!

The above from 2018........

Yes speaking about all kinds of recipes simple or gourmet we've amassed quite a cookbook collection many cheap, free or gifts from friends......who like to eat here (they bring cookbooks hoping to be invited back. :lol:).

You can spend big money on first editions of go on the cheap with a few key good cookbooks.

Just a few of ours by authors like Beard, Claiborne, Martha Stewart, the Barefoot Contessa, the Pioneer Woman plus the Good Housekeeping, Better Homes and the NYT are just must haves.

Used books in good or excellent condition are a steal. Oh you can go to book sales or yard sales and pick up great old cookbooks for peanuts, food never goes out of style.

Bon Appetit!  That's why I created this thread plus good eats and GAMEDAY food just goes with football!

1757825269_61wtaeVftHL._SX398_BO1204203200_.jpg.74560a7ae817383ad9a0ad792eb8115a.jpg

9 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

The Sopranos cookbook was surprisingly good too... 😁

Was at the Barberton BBQ Fest yesterday, sampled food from the top two finishers, damn good! 

We either have that or I've seen it, and Steve Shrippa (sp?) Bobby Baccala from the Sopranos has his cookbooks.

BBQ is a big deal all over the USA.

51ZPA9KGW9L._AC_UY218_.jpg

26 minutes ago, mjp28 said:

We either have that or I've seen it, and Steve Shrippa (sp?) Bobby Baccala from the Sopranos has his cookbooks.

BBQ is a big deal all over the USA.

51ZPA9KGW9L._AC_UY218_.jpg

Things you learn only here in GAMEDAY food.......

Attention would-be paesans: Can’t distinguish “gabagool” from “pasta fazool”? Not sure how to properly accessorize your track suit with gold chains? Does the phrase “go to the mattresses” make you sleepy? Now Steven R. Schirripa, The Sopranos’ own Bobby Bacala, exposes the inner mysteries of this unique Italian-American hybrid in A Goomba’s Guide to Life so that anyone can walk, talk, and live like a guy “from the neighborhood.”

Über-goomba Steve Schirripa shows how being a goomba made him what he is today, offering lessons learned on his own journey from Bensonhurst to Vegas, and to his current gig as Bobby Bacala on one of TV’s most popular shows. Along the way, he shares secrets that will help you get in touch with your own inner goomba. You’ll learn what music to enjoy (Sinatra, yes; Snoop Dogg, no), what movies to watch (Raging Bull, yes; Titanic, never), which sports to follow (baseball is good; golf and tennis, fuhgeddaboudit), and even tips on goomba etiquette. Ever wonder how a real goomba gets the best seat in the house? (Hint: It involves tipping, jewelry, and intimidation.) Schirripa even includes goomba do’s and don’ts (never, ever criticize a goomba’s mother or her gravy; always wear more jewelry than you think you need).

With knockout photographs of Schirripa and his compares, and insider information on how to think goomba, speak goomba, cook and eat goomba, and even how to behave at goomba weddings and funerals, A Goomba’s Guide to Life will show any wiseguy wannabe how to sing like a Soprano.

Steve also lost a ton of weight in real life......

Hey, goomba! Are you on the Goomba Diet? Do you need to be?

• Do they put up crime scene tape after you visit the buffet table?

• Is the air freshener in your car a slice of provolone?

Stop crying! The Goomba Diet is here—the dolce vita diet that shows you how to eat more, drink more, laugh more, live more, and feel great while you’re doing it. The Goomba Diet offers sensible weight-loss tips for the guy who’s gone too far:

• Touch your toes. If this is difficult, pay a guy to do it for you.

• Walk to court.

It also offers helpful maintenance tips for the goomba who’s the perfect weight and wants to stay that way:

• Try an appetite suppressant. Try eating at Applebee’s.

• Pick up something heavy. Get a copy of The Da Vinci Code.

• Cut out those carbs. Only eat pastas that end in the letter i.

The Goomba Diet is the personal lifestyle guide from Steven R. Schirripa—Bobby “Bacala” Baccalieri from HBO’s hit series The Sopranos and author of the bestseller A Goomba’s Guide to Life. Developed over decades of dreaming about and then living the high life, it’s a how-to guide for happy living—how to duke a maître d', how to order a good meal, how to be a good father, a good husband and a good friend, and how to behave at a wedding, a funeral, and on the job. You wanna have a good time? Follow these rules:

• Do tip the maid. Don’t tip the made guy.

• Do tip the D.J. Don’t tip the D.A.

• Do tell the bride she’s beautiful. Don’t tell her she’s hardly showing.

• Do give your kids an allowance. Don’t offer to “make it interesting” by shooting craps for double or nothing.

The Goomba Diet is for everyone with an appetite for life, and for everyone who understands that the key to happiness isn’t found in a smaller waistline but in a bigger heart. Like Steve says, “There’s a lot of skinny actors wearing black turtlenecks and tending bar right now who’d kill for a part on The Sopranos. This fat goomba is doing all right for himself.”

So relax! Stop worrying about how much you’re eating, and start worrying about how much you’re enjoying it. Lose weight if you like—but live! Put a fork in your right hand, a hunk of bread in your left, and mangia like you mean it.

511EE3XVNTL._SX332_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

And since we're going Italian and as always some really good Italian food there's more...... naturally.

The Soprano's Family Cookbook is compiled by who else, Artie Bucco.

51va9p5+QtL._SX388_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

51kHUJbkfEL._AC_UL320_SR254,320_.jpg

81S3NkePyuL._AC_UL320_SR254,320_.jpg

My dad once lived in the same town as a famous chef with the exact same name and even could pass as his brother if they had ever been side by side. So when he would call for reservations at local restaurants they would give him the best seats in the house and give him top notch meals from their menus. Of course he would then pull out his Diner's Club credit card to pay, which of course reinforced his standing if they had any doubts. He always got a real laugh out of that every time it happened. LOL!🤣

• Haha 1