THE BROWNS BOARD

• Favorite GAMEDAY food ? ..... Dine in, carryout, *delivery or make at home.

mjp28

The 28th annual Brier Hill Italian Fest will be held August 15-18, 2019 on Calvin & Victoria Streets in the Brier Hill neighborhood on Youngstown’s North Side. There will be live Italian music, morra tournament (Friday, 7:30pm), Hot Pepper Contest (Saturday), Wine Tasting Contest (Sunday), and authentic Italian food.

Hours are Thursday and Friday, August 15 & 16, 4:00pm-midnight; and Saturday and Sunday, August 17 & 18, 12:00pm-midnight.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, mjp28 said:

The 28th annual Brier Hill Italian Fest will be held August 15-18, 2019 on Calvin & Victoria Streets in the Brier Hill neighborhood on Youngstown’s North Side. There will be live Italian music, morra tournament (Friday, 7:30pm), Hot Pepper Contest (Saturday), Wine Tasting Contest (Sunday), and authentic Italian food.

Hours are Thursday and Friday, August 15 & 16, 4:00pm-midnight; and Saturday and Sunday, August 17 & 18, 12:00pm-midnight.

Maybe Dutch could go Sunday as our TBB authentic Italian food tester.

Get in your car, "road trip" and take your camera.  :D

On 8/17/2019 at 3:54 PM, TexasAg1969 said:

Today's post game fare is Green Chili stew with hominy and browned ground turkey breast added in. Abita Amber Beer or Shiner Bock to go with it. Yummy.😋

If you’ve never tried making your own beer, you should. It’s pretty easy and the results are well worth the trouble. You can custom make a brew for your taste buds alone. 

I like the Porter styles and not so much the IPAs. It’s all good tho

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, flyingfooldoug said:

If you’ve never tried making your own beer, you should. It’s pretty easy and the results are well worth the trouble. You can custom make a brew for your taste buds alone. 

I like the Porter styles and not so much the IPAs. It’s all good tho

My son in law has done that, but he's a huge IPA fan. Give me a good European beer any day. My favorite beers are the Belgian Trappist Rochefort 10 & England's Samuel Smith Oatmeal Stout. That Rochefort 10 costs about $7/ 11oz. bottle so it's almost cheaper to move to there. But it's God's beer since the water comes from a well inside the monastery walls. Tastes like it too.🍺🤗

EDIT: When I was in a bar/restaurant in Bruges I asked the waiter to bring me a glass of the very best Belgian beer he had on tap. That Rocefort 10 even had it's own special glass he served it in. Since then I have found many a website that rates it one the very best beers in the world.

EDIT #2:  Ye ole blind taste test of 3 top Belgian beers. 

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

My son in law has done that, but he's a huge IPA fan. Give me a good European beer any day. My favorite beers are the Belgian Trappist Rochefort 10 & England's Samuel Smith Oatmeal Stout. That Rochefort 10 costs about $7/ 11oz. bottle so it's almost cheaper to move to there. But it's God's beer since the water comes from a well inside the monastery walls. Tastes like it too.🍺🤗

EDIT: When I was in a bar/restaurant in Bruges I asked the waiter to bring me a glass of the very best Belgian beer he had on tap. That Rocefort 10 even had it's own special glass he served it in. Since then I have found many a website that rates it one the very best beers in the world.

EDIT #2:  Ye ole blind taste test of 3 top Belgian beers. 

I never had IPA until I made a batch and thought I ducked it up and made barley vinegar. A friend of mine thought it was great tho. That’s when I discovered that I don’t care much for IPAs. Try a barley wine for something different. It’s a beer that runs 12 -15 percent alcohol. El Diablo

On 8/21/2019 at 5:16 AM, flyingfooldoug said:

I never had IPA until I made a batch and thought I ducked it up and made barley vinegar. A friend of mine thought it was great tho. That’s when I discovered that I don’t care much for IPAs. Try a barley wine for something different. It’s a beer that runs 12 -15 percent alcohol. El Diablo

Give me a Natty light anyday.  That and some Freedom fries and I'm good to go.

52 minutes ago, SD_Tom said:

Picked this up yesterday 

😎

Ah yes marketing at work. A brewski while grilling some GAMEDAY food.

Is this a great country or what !!! :lol:

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, SD_Tom said:

Picked this up yesterday 

😎

20190825_135557.jpg

As I was leaving Giant Eagle last Friday, I saw it. Would have picked 6 up, but after buying Old Leghumper, Commodore Perry, Labatt Blue, & Busch, I was out of Mancave 'fridge room.

I'll get 6 or 12 this weekend.

Mike

13 minutes ago, Canton Mike said:

As I was leaving Giant Eagle last Friday, I saw it. Would have picked 6 up, but after buying Old Leghumper, Commodore Perry, Labatt Blue, & Busch, I was out of Mancave 'fridge room.

I'll get 6 or 12 this weekend.

Mike

NO ROOTBEER ??? tenor.gif

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

NO ROOTBEER ??? tenor.gif

Some how I have this vision of you digging around in your garden for roots to boil and then can the liquids in mason jars to put in the fridge for upcoming games.🥤😍

Stir in a little blackberry jam and there you go!!😁

3 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Some how I have this vision of you digging around in your garden for roots to boil and then can the liquids in mason jars to put in the fridge for upcoming games.🥤😍

Stir in a little blackberry jam and there you go!!😁

actually, I do plan on making some hiking staffs - but I'll have to cut a few young sassafras saplings, there's a bunch of them,  to also have sassafras tea. and on the way out back to the woods, there is plenty of chicory, which I can roast the roots of, and make coffee.

1 hour ago, calfoxwc said:

actually, I do plan on making some hiking staffs - but I'll have to cut a few young sassafras saplings, there's a bunch of them,  to also have sassafras tea. and on the way out back to the woods, there is plenty of chicory, which I can roast the roots of, and make coffee.

What is "chicory" and why is it associated with coffee?

My wife will sometimes say when we go out for breakfast at some place new that  "this coffee has chicory in it".   And I have to tell her,  "no, that is just bad coffee that was probably made hours ago and which has been sitting around and getting burnt".  Its not chicory.   Does any brand name coffee that you are aware of add chicory to their coffee?

12 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

My wife will sometimes say when we go out for breakfast at some place new that  "this coffee has chicory in it".   And I have to tell her,  "no, that is just bad coffee that was probably made hours ago and which has been sitting around and getting burnt".  Its not chicory.   Does any brand name coffee that you are aware of add chicory to their coffee?

It's an old style bean with a harsh taste.......edit, my mistake it's not a bean but a root, but she knew that:blush:

My wife (my expert) says the settlers used to use it way back when....she doesn't like it.

Edited by mjp28

Chicory comes from the dried and roasted root of the Chicory Flower (Cichorium intybus). Throughout history, Chicory has been used as a substitute for coffee in times when coffee was in short supply, and very expensive. Caffeine free with a more "roasted" flavor than regular coffee, it is also more soluble in water, which means you use a lot less of it when brewing. It has a very distinct flavor, and can be an acquired taste for the uninitiated. 

8 hours ago, The Gipper said:

You're Cajun education is lacking. Have a cafe au lait in New Orleans with a beignet. 

http://www.cafedumonde.com/coffee

And this is the coffee with chicory.

•  
  • 51elbGOIgxL._SS40_.jpg
  •  
  • 51qY-%2BoPsFL._SS40_.jpg
  •  
  • 41%2BEGiEiOhL._SS40_.jpg

• image.jpeg.762f4d9df3cbd024ac39fdfeb9e797ba.jpeg

Thursday afternoon's lunch special while watching the INDIANS will be my wife's oven roasted turkey thighs......ummmmm, one of my favorites.  :D

She goes to our local Giant Eagle and gets several big thick meaty turkey thighs and adds her special home grown herbs and other spices and in the oven they go.

It's delicious and fairly economical, recipe upon request if anyone is interested.

........edit add, oh and probably a potato side dish, she chops up potatoes and onions and adds some Italian spices or an Italian salad dressing and puts them in the microwave while the main dish is cooking, also delicious!!

Edited by mjp28
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, mjp28 said:

Thursday afternoon's lunch special while watching the INDIANS will be my wife's oven roasted turkey thighs......ummmmm, one of my favorites.  :D

She goes to our local Giant Eagle and gets several big thick meaty turkey thighs and adds her special home grown herbs and other spices and in the oven they go.

It's delicious and fairly economical, recipe upon request if anyone is interested.

........edit add, oh and probably a potato side dish, she chops up potatoes and onions and adds some Italian spices or an Italian salad dressing and puts them in the microwave while the main dish is cooking, also delicious!!

It does sound good for sure however I have never been a fan of any dark meat, Chicken, Turkey, Duck whatever, I only buy and eat White meat. 

3 hours ago, medicineman said:

It does sound good for sure however I have never been a fan of any dark meat, Chicken, Turkey, Duck whatever, I only buy and eat White meat. 

F'n racist.😂

BTW I'm a breast man myself.🤗

• Haha 2

CHEESEBURGER TOMATOES - on a diet or just have a bunch of tomatoes handy or just love tomatoes? Great for an snacks too!

Inspired by our taco tomatoes (CLICK ON LINK!)  this low-carb hack is for anybody who is trying to eat healthy but really wants a cheeseburger

YIELDS:SERVINGS
PREP TIME:HOURS MINS
TOTAL TIME:HOURS 20 MINS
INGREDIENTS

1 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
medium onion, chopped
cloves garlic, minced
1 lb. ground beef
1 tbsp. ketchup
1 tbsp. yellow mustard
slicing tomatoes

Kosher salt

Freshly ground black pepper

2/3 c. shredded cheddar

1/4 c. shredded iceberg lettuce
pickle coins
Sesame seeds, for garnish
DIRECTIONS

1. In a medium skillet over medium heat, heat oil. Add onion and cook until tender, about 5 minutes, then stir in garlic. Add ground beef, breaking up the meat with a wooden spoon, and cook until the beef is no longer pink, about 6 minutes. Drain fat. Season with salt and pepper, then stir in ketchup and mustard. 
  2. Flip tomatoes so they are stem-side down. Cut the tomatoes into six wedges, being careful to not cut completely through the tomato. Carefully spread open the wedges. Divide cooked ground beef evenly among the tomatoes, then top each with cheese and lettuce. 
  3. Garnish with pickle coins and sesame seeds.

delish-cheeseburger-tomatoes-still003-1528897335.jpg

• Thanks 1

For the TACO TOMATOES just alter the ingredients, we've done both ------ NICE QUICK MEAL!

INGREDIENTS

1 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
3/4 lb. ground beef
1 medium onion, chopped
1 (1-oz.) packet taco seasoning
4 large, ripe beefsteak tomatoes
1/2 c. shredded Mexican cheese blend
1/2 c. shredded iceberg lettuce
1/4 c. sour cream
DIRECTIONS

1. In a large skillet over medium heat, heat oil. Add onion and cook, stirring, until soft, 5 minutes. Add ground beef and taco seasoning. Cook, breaking up meat with a wooden spoon, until no longer pink, 8 minutes. Drain fat. 
  2. Flip over tomatoes so they’re stem-side down and slice to make 6 wedges, being careful not to cut all the way through. Carefully spread open wedges. 
  3. Divide taco meat among tomatoes, then top each with cheese, lettuce, and sour cream before serving.

1508344920-taco-tomatoes-delish.jpg

7 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

My wife thinks tomato sandwiches Are gross. I on the other hand really like them. 

We have the taco stuff in house, the wife will pick up some nice tomatoes and TACO TOMATOES will be coming up soon! Yummmm.  :)

.......edit add, these recipes are from Delish online, I've used some of their recipes over the years always delish-ous. That besides our ~100 cookbooks and the fact that my wife is a scratch cook and makes her own recipes.

Bon Appetit!