THE BROWNS BOARD

• Favorite GAMEDAY food ? ..... Dine in, carryout, *delivery or make at home.

mjp28

4 hours ago, DieHardBrownsFan said:

I hate Tony Packos.  That's not a hot dog for one.  

I agree it is not your normal hot dog, but it IS unique & those are the places that become "must stops" for many of us. They are definitely different destinations. Certainly worth checking out. The original (on Front St in Toledo) is the one to head for.

Mike

6 hours ago, DieHardBrownsFan said:

I hate Tony Packos.  That's not a hot dog for one.  

Depends on how strictly you want to define a "hot dog"...  Call it a Hungarian sausage dog if you insist.  :)  FWIW, it took me years of getting dragged into Packos by the relatives before I finally realized what the fuss about the place was. All those celebrity autographed buns on the walls say it's a must stop when in Toledo. I can certainly see why someone wouldn't like their menu at all. Sort of the same way I was underwhelmed stopping at the original & nationally famous Arthur Bryant's BBQ in Kansas City many years ago. A hole in the wall place with presidents autographs on the wall. 

One Hot Dogs on a plate

2 hours ago, Canton Mike said:

I agree it is not your normal hot dog, but it IS unique & those are the places that become "must stops" for many of us. They are definitely different destinations. Certainly worth checking out. The original (on Front St in Toledo) is the one to head for.

Mike

Agreed Mike. The original one on Front Street is the one to head to if your have a choice. 

From the Food Network best hot dogs in all 50 states in Ohio it's from Cleveland!  https://www.foodnetwork.com/restaurants/photos/best-hot-dogs-in-america

Polish Boy, Banter (Ohio)

Ohio has strong dog-centric culinary traditions, including Cincinnati chili dogs. Back in the 1940s, the Polish Boy emerged on Cleveland's fast food scene. It's a stack of coleslaw, barbecue sauce, hot sauce and a pile of fries loaded atop a smoky Polish-style kielbasa in a sturdy hot dog bun. It can be found all around the Rock and Roll Capital of the World, but one of the best examples is sold at Banter, a new-school sausage and poutine shop on the near west side.

Or from the 10 best list in Ohio. https://bestthingsoh.com/hot-dog-joints/

Number 2 is from Cleveland.

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, mjp28 said:

From the Food Network best hot dogs in all 50 states in Ohio it's from Cleveland!  https://www.foodnetwork.com/restaurants/photos/best-hot-dogs-in-america

Ohio has strong dog-centric culinary traditions, including Cincinnati chili dogs. Back in the 1940s, the Polish Boy emerged on Cleveland's fast food scene. It's a stack of coleslaw, barbecue sauce, hot sauce and a pile of fries loaded atop a smoky Polish-style kielbasa in a sturdy hot dog bun. It can be found all around the Rock and Roll Capital of the World, but one of the best examples is sold at Banter, a new-school sausage and poutine shop on the near west side.

Thanks! I am always on the lookout for great hot dogs.....The great American Meal!!!

Mike

5 hours ago, mjp28 said:

Strictly Gourmet, huh? NO mention of Packo's which immediately disqualifies them. Coleslaw and fries are fine as sides with a dog, but pile it on top of one? 

Dayton's Zombie Dogz made #3 (they now have a brick and mortar store besides the food truck), and I can't say I'm interested- I don't care for extraneous crap on my dog. 

4 hours ago, hoorta said:

Strictly Gourmet, huh? NO mention of Packo's which immediately disqualifies them. Coleslaw and fries are fine as sides with a dog, but pile it on top of one? 

Dayton's Zombie Dogz made #3 (they now have a brick and mortar store besides the food truck), and I can't say I'm interested- I don't care for extraneous crap on my dog. 

4 hours ago, hoorta said:

I agree, fries topping anything is a bad idea in my book.  I want them on the side.

18 hours ago, Canton Mike said:

Thanks! I am always on the lookout for great hot dogs.....The great American Meal!!!

Mike

Besides hot dog cookouts as a kid and in scouts I had countless hotdogs while going to YSU and working down the mill (classic dogs with homemade sauerkraut from Stanley's on Salt Springs Rd.). Also stopped late nights at my uncle's bar in Girard the bartender would steam a few dogs with provolone and peppers on the side.

Also lived in Girard for about 5 years while going to YSU and frequented Jib jab a LOT. Ummmmm hotdogs!

2 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

Something really cool about Jib Jab... I mean the food is great and cheap, but the place just reminds you of simpler times. 

How is the conversation in there?  I hear not very good.  They say it is all a bunch of Jibber Jabber.....kinda like here.

• 2 weeks later...

new simple recipe ! We made it just this week !

chicken breasts - cooked to very tender

salt-pepper lightly

homemade wild blackberry jam (btw, blackberries are getting ripe, I have frozen about 8 lbs so far)

scalloped potatoes

store bought Rhodes rolls

iced tea with mango sweetener (that's if I'm out of root beer)

or some great bbq ribs with carolina sweet bbq sauce, but that's too much work usually.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, SD_Tom said:

Ribs usually hit the spot.  Same with wings. 

Some good looking man size slabs of meat there.  :P

8 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

homemade wild blackberry jam (btw, blackberries are getting ripe, I have frozen about 8 lbs so far)😋

iced tea with mango sweetener (that's if I'm out of root beer)

squirrel and dumplings

You're staying at my place when you finally make a Browns game Bill (tex).🙀

FIFY😂

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, flyingfooldoug said:

Ever do western style ribs like this?  I think they’re just as good but with way more meat to bone. More bang for the buck

Not sure what that is. These are St Louis cut.  I prefer baby backs,  but this is all they had. 

Smoked the top one for about 5.5 hours unwrapped,  the two other slabs were 3-2-1 style. 

If I'm going bang for buck,  pork butt wins,  but it takes forever

28 minutes ago, SD_Tom said:

Not sure what that is. These are St Louis cut.  I prefer baby backs,  but this is all they had. 

Smoked the top one for about 5.5 hours unwrapped,  the two other slabs were 3-2-1 style. 

They’re cut from the ends. Meatier and more akin to chops. I’ll cook them the same as spare or baby back. A little bit longer but great to eat as is or doing pulled pork. Wanna roll some eyes? Pulled pork on a bagel

On 8/7/2019 at 5:55 PM, Dutch Oven said:

I think a trip to Royal Oaks is happening this Saturday or next, speaking of ribs... 

If you guys and gals out there aren't afraid of dive bars and Youngstown, Ohio (it's not really that scary. :unsure:) .......and want some good barbeque and cold beer try the Oaks the ROYAL OAKS. I remember it as a dive bar and bookie hangout when I was going to YSU....but that's just me.  :lol:

o-2.jpg

o.jpg

o-1.jpg

o-3.jpg

11 hours ago, SD_Tom said:

What temp?

I don't eat ribs that are all slathered up with sauce.  I like a Memphis Dry.  Maybe take a squeeze bottle and put a little sauce on the outer edge.

My attitude is if you have to put sauce on them to make them good, you didn't make them right in the first place.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, ballpeen said:

I don't eat ribs that are all slathered up with sauce.  I like a Memphis Dry.  Maybe take a squeeze bottle and put a little sauce on the outer edge.

My attitude is if you have to put sauce on them to make them good, you didn't make them right in the first place.

Ah, a rib snob I see. 😂🤣

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, flyingfooldoug said:

For the dolts preseason game, we’re gonna go down to the Briar Hill Italian Fest and see what looks good. Gip might call it putrid but the reality is...... Some of the best Italian grub you can get anywhere.....World Class Cuisine 

Leave the gun, grab the cannoli...lol

Not me I love Italian food. 

11 hours ago, ballpeen said:

I have to admit I agree. Virtually everything I smoke I do not sauce. I serve sauce on the side for those who want it. If more than a few people need to bury it in sauce I figure I have failed on that cook :) 

• Upvote 1

For today's game against Indy (3pm CDT) I'm opening a bottle of Grenacha-this  one a red wine from the Valencia area in southern Spain. Never had this before. Was a great value pick for only about $10 so I need to try it out to decide whether to get more while it's still on the shelf locally. During a game is as good a time as any.

On 8/16/2019 at 7:27 AM, flyingfooldoug said:

For the dolts preseason game, we’re gonna go down to the Briar Hill Italian Fest and see what looks good. Gip might call it putrid but the reality is...... Some of the best Italian grub you can get anywhere.....World Class Cuisine 

Leave the gun, grab the cannoli...lol

I think it is the 28th annual event since they brought it back in the old original Briar Hill neighborhood. When the Mills died in the 1980s a lot of the old neighborhoods died with them.

Still a good event to keep it alive.

Screenshot_2019-08-17_094719.jpg

Screenshot_2019-08-17_095932.jpg