Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
TexasAg1969

Big Island

Recommended Posts

Early next month  we go to the Big Island in Hawaii with my two brothers and their wives staying at the Marriott Waikoloa. Any suggestions for great snorkeling spots, restaurants or spots to visit will be appreciated. Don't suggest Na Hoku Jewelry. When I went to Maui 2 years ago I was out $$ for diamond on gold palm tree earrings with matching necklace pendant/gold chain. And she won't even let me wear them.:P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/5/2017 at 9:43 AM, TexasAg1969 said:

Early next month  we go to the Big Island in Hawaii with my two brothers and their wives staying at the Marriott Waikoloa. Any suggestions for great snorkeling spots, restaurants or spots to visit will be appreciated. Don't suggest Na Hoku Jewelry. When I went to Maui 2 years ago I was out $$ for diamond on gold palm tree earrings with matching necklace pendant/gold chain. And she won't even let me wear them.:P

I went there in 2012 and stayed in the Waikoloa area..just not at the Marriott.  Stayed at one of the Aston resorts.  I can give you a couple of restaurants.   There was a place called Lava Lava nearby.  And of course you can do a Luau.  Not sure if Marriott has one but the Hilton Waikoloa has a nice one that we went to.

I also did no snorkeling.  You would have to check with your concierge about that...or look up places on line.

But, as far as "spots to visit"  I can give you tons of info on that.   Start with the various National park units on the BI, starting with the Hawaii Volcanos and the others which you can try to pronounce...but if you can't pronounce them  go to them anyway as they are well worth it:

https://www.nps.gov/havo/index.htm

https://www.nps.gov/kaho/index.htm

https://www.nps.gov/puho/index.htm

https://www.nps.gov/puhe/index.htm

Beyond these, there is the black sand beach at Punaluu.   

See the most southern point in the entire USA proper (not just continental US):  Ka Lae.....and from there you can hike to the very rare "Green sand" beach.

Also...go to Akaka Falls over on the eastern side of the BI....as well as the Hawaiian Botanical Tropical Gardens.  On the way back take the Saddle Rd....and go up to the observatories on either Mauna Loa or Mauna Kea. 

Go to Waipo Valley

See the small Painted Church

That should be a good start for you.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, The Gipper said:

I went there in 2012 and stayed in the Waikoloa area..just not at the Marriott.  Stayed at one of the Aston resorts.  I can give you a couple of restaurants.   There was a place called Lava Lava nearby.  And of course you can do a Luau.  Not sure if Marriott has one but the Hilton Waikoloa has a nice one that we went to.

I also did no snorkeling.  You would have to check with your concierge about that...or look up places on line.

But, as far as "spots to visit"  I can give you tons of info on that.   Start with the various National park units on the BI, starting with the Hawaii Volcanos and the others which you can try to pronounce...but if you can't pronounce them  go to them anyway as they are well worth it:

https://www.nps.gov/havo/index.htm

https://www.nps.gov/kaho/index.htm

https://www.nps.gov/puho/index.htm

https://www.nps.gov/puhe/index.htm

Beyond these, there is the black sand beach at Punaluu.   

See the most southern point in the entire USA proper (not just continental US):  Ka Lae.....and from there you can hike to the very rare "Green sand" beach.

Also...go to Akaka Falls over on the eastern side of the BI....as well as the Hawaiian Botanical Tropical Gardens.  On the way back take the Saddle Rd....and go up to the observatories on either Mauna Loa or Mauna Kea. 

Go to Waipo Valley

See the small Painted Church

That should be a good start for you.

 

 

Thanks Gip-I had found the info on the black sand and green sand beaches. I will also remember to take my cheapo $10 lifetime old geezers pass to the National Parks. Gets everyone in the car in for free to any NP or N. Monument areas. We'll give the Lava Lava a try.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Are you just going to the Big Island....or are you also visiting any of the others?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Are you just going to the Big Island....or are you also visiting any of the others?

Been to Oahu, Maui and Kauai before so this is 8 nights on the Big Island alone. Plenty to do and see and I'm finding some good snorkeling spots including right where we are staying if the waters are relatively calm. First time ever on this island so I'm very much looking forward to seeing some of those active volcanoes and the different colored sandy beaches.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Been to Oahu, Maui and Kauai before so this is 8 nights on the Big Island alone. Plenty to do and see and I'm finding some good snorkeling spots including right where we are staying if the waters are relatively calm. First time ever on this island so I'm very much looking forward to seeing some of those active volcanoes and the different colored sandy beaches.

Take tour of the military base. There are still? Pearl Harbor holes in the mess outside wall, that they never filled in.

Try some real Kona coffee and let me know what you think.

Take the helicopter ride out of Hilo - ? we flew around the base etc of the volcano. Couldn't go up the mountain and see the top - for

insurance and safety reasons. Saw molten lava at the shoreline... I remember we went to see the famous Waikiki beach...

and it was a major disappointment. A little strip of beach with big buildings all along it... blech. But that was a long time ago,

don't remember as much about the Big Island.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've never been to the big Island but liked the action and sites of Oahu.

Hilton Hawaiian Village stayed there 14 days the first time in Hawaii loved it.

Climbed to the top of Diamondhead through the tunnels cut into the volcano I wonder if they still allow it. Saw Pearl Harbor, the North Shore,  my cousin's husband was a captain stationed at Scofield was there plus they took us around the island plus the regular places to go.Still love Hawaii! 

Hilton-Hawaiian-Village-1024x589.jpg

Screenshot_2017-08-16-19-43-37.png

-565293503.jpg

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just going to the Big Island this trip and do plan on going to a Kona Coffee plantation when I find out from the locals the one they like best. People who buy Kona coffee on the mainland often fail to notice that most sold here are only 10% Kona. I hope to taste and ship back from there only 100% Kona. I often get 100% Kauai coffee when I buy cat food thru Amazon each month. I get stuff I tasted right on the Kauai Coffee Plantation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Just going to the Big Island this trip and do plan on going to a Kona Coffee plantation when I find out from the locals the one they like best. People who buy Kona coffee on the mainland often fail to notice that most sold here are only 10% Kona. I hope to taste and ship back from there only 100% Kona. I often get 100% Kauai coffee when I buy cat food thru Amazon each month. I get stuff I tasted right on the Kauai Coffee Plantation.

You can find coffee vendors all up and down the main highway on the way from Waikoloa down to the Volcano NP.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/8/2017 at 2:35 AM, mjp28 said:

Climbed to the top of Diamondhead through the tunnels

btw, depending on your budget, the other islands like a 15 minute flight from each other. If you missed

something on Maui, like driving up to Mnt. Haleokala sp? before dawn, you could fly there from  Big Island and spend a day there...

we spent two weeks flying from one island to another back in the day - the helicopter ride around the scenic mountain areas

of Kaui we missed doing... but that is about all. We took the zodiac boat ride around the mountainous shore...and a sea cave...

The mini-sub ride down to a hundred? feet was cool - I think that was on Maui?. You go that far, and

it's good to take in the sights etc as much as possible. Hawaii was magic - and we wouldn't have missed the Pearl Harbor

Arizona Memorial at Oahu for anything.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, calfoxwc said:

........it's good to take in the sights etc as much as possible. Hawaii was magic - and we wouldn't have missed the Pearl Harbor

Arizona Memorial at Oahu for anything.

 

Funny just going through a box the other day and found a few pennies they put in that press and put the Arizona Memorial on the back and Abe on the front from 1979 trip.....I wonder if they still do that? Wish I got more of those neat keepsakes or unusual gifts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

×